• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Concord headed to be Sony's biggest first party flop ever?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
You just have to read the tea leaves. They (sony) poured tons of money into things like mocap, voice actors and offline rendering for cinematics, bespoke controllers, let alone buying an entire studio and funding their escapades. Needless to say they expected this to smash.

This didn't get the destruction all stars treatment where they just farted it out on plus.

Yah I don’t think even Helldivers 2 have a controller. Seems the expectation is pretty big for this game

Paasei

GaaS is destined to fail. Question is when. There’s always another game that is exactly the same that gets a little longer hype and takes everyone on it until a few stations further.

GaaS is destined to fail. Question is when. There’s always another game that is exactly the same that gets a little longer hype and takes everyone on it until a few stations further.
GaaS is destined to fail until you have anime waifus collectionado.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Not so. There are many successful GaaS

va38cnjh6ifd1.jpeg

21ccfd8d-159b-4c58-af62-a33384b3c5a7_text.gif

SkylineRKR

#Concord has more character design than Halo, they are not perfect but they wanted to be different, ppl just want to hate. Sony should just give it out for free now since thats the real reason ppl are hating on it if we being honest. I had a great time with the game.

People didn't want to play it for free either. Something something oversaturated.

MiguelItUp

Valorant feels like shit compared to this
That's fair, but as much as I hate Valorant it's a CS wanna-be first, and then a hero shooter second.
I can’t help but notice that of all the stats on the infographic that player count seems to be missing lol
Yeah, that's a GREAT way to provide info without providing info, they know what they're doing, lmao. I've worked for projects in the past where we essentially did that. "Let's put out stats that look impressive without looking bad!"

Last edited:
Its out of spite. Its a product by a studio whose primary concern is the ideology they've internally cultivated. They could be doing something more awe-inspiring, but chose to deliberately go against that.

Its a shame because the art style in itself isn't that bad, but the character designs leave something to be desired.
The character designs look retarded. A lot look like different variations of stay puft marshmellow man.
Teo looks like this cookie cutter MC.
Lennox Looks like they took Groot and Yondu and mashed those MFers up.
Lark looks like the artist was struggling through a DMT trip (maybe the coffee was spiked)
L4D is one of my favorites games ever.
900+ hours in L4D
about 200 or so in L4D2.

I should redownload the first one. I never get sick of it.

Fbh

Gold Member
I can’t help but notice that of all the stats on the infographic that player count seems to be missing lol

Whenever publishers releases random high sounding statistics before announcing actual relevant data like player numbers you know the game is in trouble.

"Hey how many people played the game?"
"Did you know all players combined sprinted a longer distance than 10 million chicken nuggets places next to each other?!?!?!?!?"

Hypereides

Gold Member
The character designs look retarded. A lot look like different variations of stay puft marshmellow man.
Teo looks like this cookie cutter MC.
Lennox Looks like they took Groot and Yondu and mashed those MFers up.
Lark looks like the artist was struggling through a DMT trip (maybe the coffee was spiked)

(...)
There were contestants in the air pistol olympics that looked cooler than the current roster. That's all I'll say.

… lol, the white dude and the solitary not-hideous female are the most picked characters.

They're basically the only two characters that don't move at a snails pace 100% of the time.
The white dude's ability to double dodge roll comes in handy, and the Asian chick can float around.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
It's boggles the mind to think games used to fail because of gameplay. Now it's because of the art direction. That must be exasperating for the talented people who are programmers.
It's still gameplay. People want to make it about art direction because the grifters got to them. Garbage in, garbage out.

It's still gameplay. People want to make it about art direction because the grifters got to them. Garbage in, garbage out.
Name a game with great gameplay you used to play that actively repulsed most of the playerbase.

The setting, weapons, and designs have always been what drew people in only to later appreciate gameplay and create an all timer.

A miss is a miss. Insomniac made Fuse. From the creators of borderlands comes everything else they made. Certain things people just aren’t interested in.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Name a game with great gameplay you used to play that actively repulsed most of the playerbase.
The problem is with this singular sentence.

No one has anything close to what can be considered quality metrics regarding the player bases opinion on Concords characters. The only ones who would know something like that would be PlayStation and Firewalk.

What we have are unhealthy echo chambers that don't represent reality brainwashing people into believing their group represents the larger market.

It's so easy to decieve people.
The setting, weapons, and designs have always been what drew people in only to later appreciate gameplay and create an all timer.
Too many visually unappealing multiplayer games that reach crazy heights for this to be true. Gameplay is, and always has been king in the multiplayer world.
A miss is a miss. Insomniac made Fuse. From the creators of borderlands comes everything else they made. Certain things people just aren’t interested in.
Concord may be a miss but the reasons why are impossible for the public to know why. When you don't have data, you can fall victim to the grift.

Last edited:
Concord may be a miss but the reasons why are impossible for the public to know why. When you don't have data, you can fall victim to the grift.

We don't have data????

How about the like/dislike ratio?

How about thousands of comments on social media?

Or the comparison to a game like The First Descendant with eye candy characters?

It's hilarious even to pretend we don't know why Concord will fail.

mdkirby

personally I’m of the opinion that a lot of the issues we’re seeing with both games and films is not necessarily a matter of “wokeness” per se; it’s possible to make an excellent game or narrative that has “woke stuff”. Rather the problem is that males and females play and fantasise in fundamentally different ways.

Lego for many years struggled to work out why they couldn’t attract female fans, and spent a fortune on research to work out why and how to address it. After many years and a ton of money, they discovered the reason was that males like to imagine they ARE some X badass character doing amazing things they could never do in real life, they want to imagine they ARE Batman etc. (power fantasies basically) where as the way girls play is they want to make their characters/toys more like THEM, look like them, and have them do things they do or can relate to, ie dressing up Barbie dolls, having toy tea parties etc.

Obviously there’s edge cases from either gender, but that was the broad basis of their findings, so they span our Lego friends, which was more built up around that philosophy. They span it out because changing their existing product to appeal to this new audience would quite understandably degrade the experience for their existing male dominated audience, whilst also have a load of stuff that lacks appeal for their new audience, because the two forms of play are not overly compatible.

Games companies, which have also been male dominated and wanted to attract a broader audience, and more diverse creators are battling the same issue. But have approached it differently, likely principally because games are crazy expensive to make, they aren’t spending hundreds of millions making entirely new games “for women” that may or may not buy them. Instead they are shoehorning in and changing existing styles of play and narrative beats and character designs to appeal to this demographic. They are also hiring female game makers and writers etc, so that style of play and narrative appeal finds its way into the games they make. The end result is a degraded experience for their existing primarily male dominated audience. You can try all you want to force things into a FPS murder sim to make it appeal more to women, it’s never going to because just not that many women want a power fantasy where they run around murdering things, even if the story line is some emotional interpersonal drama and the characters feel relatable and like they could be them. But it will 100% make it less appealing to a sizable portion of the male audience.

Is analog stick drift perhaps also an issue with the PlayStation 5 controller? That would explain the miles, while the players are doing something different..

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
We don't have data????

How about the like/dislike ratio?

How about thousands of comments on social media?

Or the comparison to a game like The First Descendant with eye candy characters?

It's hilarious even to pretend we don't know why Concord will fail.

You don't. Trust me.

You don't know why people are disliking the videos relative to everyone who has viewed the video.

All the "comments on social media" are just your echo chamber algorithm feeding you your slop.

There's way too many other variables between TFD and Concord to suggest the difference in popularity is based on character design.

In the absence of solid data, fake narratives thrive. People who want to believe in fake narratives will defend them to the end.

Nydius

#Concord has more character design than Halo, they are not perfect but they wanted to be different, ppl just want to hate. Sony should just give it out for free now since thats the real reason ppl are hating on it if we being honest. I had a great time with the game.

I see bullshit comments like this all over Facebook community groups too and yet when people post critiques of the actual gameplay, people who make these comments ignore it and just come back with "you just hate the characters!"

No, the game is shit.

The movement is floaty and slow. The TTK is too damn long. The maps are bland and boring as fuck. There are no interesting abilities, they're all knock-offs of other games. No ultimates to help strategically alter gameplay. Ancient ass game modes with no attempt at making them fresh. It's a cheap clone of Overwatch and Destiny, which just makes me want to play either of those rather than this.

But, sure, keep believing that all the hate is because the characters if it helps you cope. :rolleyes:

peek

It's boggles the mind to think games used to fail because of gameplay. Now it's because of the art direction. That must be exasperating for the talented people who are programmers.
Just goes to show these games, like for many genres, are all stale af and the only thing that seperated them apart is the art style/design.

For example, metroidvanias. I play a bunch of em, like too much. And at this point they all generally feel the same. Lately I just look for ones with a beautiful or unique art style over anything mechanically.

peek

You don't. Trust me.

You don't know why people are disliking the videos relative to everyone who has viewed the video.

All the "comments on social media" are just your echo chamber algorithm feeding you your slop.

There's way too many other variables between TFD and Concord to suggest the difference in popularity is based on character design.

In the absence of solid data, fake narratives thrive. People who want to believe in fake narratives will defend them to the end.
Youd have to be absolutely daft to not believe the awful, boring, and downright UGLY character designs have nothing to do with the rather wet fart of a reception this game is getting.

Sure, you can say the designs are not the ONLY thing is whats causing this laughing stock to be laughed at... but its extremely disingenuous to claim it doesn't have a sizeable impact.

They're basically the only two characters that don't move at a snails pace 100% of the time.
The white dude's ability to double dodge roll comes in handy, and the Asian chick can float around.

That’s just incorrect. Bazz has fast multidirectional dodges, and IT-Z teleports and phase-dodges. That’s on top of standard speed movement.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Youd have to be absolutely daft to not believe the awful, boring, and downright UGLY character designs have nothing to do with the rather wet fart of a reception this game is getting.

Sure, you can say the designs are not the ONLY thing is whats causing this laughing stock to be laughed at... but its extremely disingenuous to claim it doesn't have a sizeable impact.

Just like Minecraft and Roblox suffered from having the most unappealing character designs and art in video game history.

I mean...I guess?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The most played character was the generic looking white/latino dude soldier. #2 was a flying Asian girl. Even Hipster Shrek was #3.

Being different is fine. Being different and failing is another. Being different doing DEI stuff is a disaster.

Top Bottom