• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Kotaku] Concord Director Steps Down As Studio Behind Historic PlayStation Flop Waits For Sony's Decision

Yeah but Hermen Hulst saw the game and loved it. Saw no red flags.

images

violence

Reading about this flop caused me to pick up Overwatch again. Were there any abilities Overwatch could steal at least?

Saturn Dragon

Neo Member
I can't believe this yet.
-Around 6 years in development.
-About 100 people or something team of supposedly top designers/programmers and many ex-Bungie veterans.
-Budget estimated about 150-250 millions.
-They had top support from SIE.

And all they did was a the most generic and ugly looking 5v5 hero shooter?

It feels like a total waste of money, effort and TIME.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Formerly at Bungie where he served as creative director on Destiny 2, Ellis left in 2017 to lead development on what would eventually become Concord.

Was Destiny good when Ellis was creative director?

including the possible shutdown of the entire studio, which sources tell Kotaku is one of the more expensive studios in the PlayStation portfolio on a per-head basis.

Ridiculous. Yeah let's shove all this money at an unproven studio rather than at our other studios that have a proven track record of success. The execs steering the ship during that time were on crazy pills.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The post-mortem has to be pretty obvious:

1. Noone is going to stick around for your systems and story when the game looks so generic. Destiny from day #1 had a distinctive look and style that sold people on it without ever playing it.

2. Look at the product as a whole; what "hooks" does it have, to whom is it going to appeal? The narrative/conceptual portion was weak. A vague name combined with a knock-off "Guardians Of The Galaxy" cast was never going perform well in any media format from Comic Books to Movies. Its just weak!

3. Manage perceptions, when the first posts started to surface about "The Professor" and such, for fuck's sake counter-market against it so as not to alienate half the audience along "culture war" lines.

4. Returning to point 2. When your concept and gameplay looks so generic and derivative, and you're going into a crowded marketplace with a lot of similar looking titles, what you absolutely must have is something that makes it stand out from the crowd. You want that "cool" factor.

In Sony's case, I'd seriously have to ask who were you listening to as your tastemakers in pursuit of that "cool" impact with Concord? You really need to start looking at who the "modern audience" actually is, and what actually shifts units.

Seems like from a tech standpoint the game was pretty good so there's some talented people there worth holding on to. This disaster seems more like upper management fuckups with their inability (unwillingness?) to take a better read on the market and implement better changes to suit it. There needs to be a top to bottom enema with Sony, and I mean right at the fucking top, to have a proper post mortem on this so that it doesn't happen with their other GaaS projects.

pulicat

Neo Member
What a coincidence when the best selling game of the year and the biggest flop of the industry were released a few days apart from each other.

Concord = Zero copies sold and lost $250-300 million.

Black Myth Wukong = 18 million copies sold and grossed $800-850 million and probably will clear around $1.3 billion by the end of the year.

Seems like from a tech standpoint the game was pretty good so there's some talented people there worth holding on to. This disaster seems more like upper management fuckups with their inability (unwillingness?) to take a better read on the market and implement better changes to suit it. There needs to be a top to bottom enema with Sony, and I mean right at the fucking top, to have a proper post mortem on this so that it doesn't happen with their other GaaS projects.

Studio culture.

There was a very nice video someone posted in another Concord thread where a developer dissected the mess that is Firewalk Studios. Made some very compelling arguments. Will see if I can find it again and link it here.

Studio culture.

There was a very nice video someone posted in another Concord thread where a developer dissected the mess that is Firewalk Studios. Made some very compelling arguments. Will see if I can find it again and link it here.
Heard of it going around. While they weren't there it was probably about as close to guessing what went out based on their own experience as well. Just amazing it got this point. Honestly I'm the most shocked at Herman Hulst not stepping in. Too busy sipping drinks on the yacht.

violence

Studio culture.

TYRiAX

The studio has to close - I cant imagine Sony bankrolling another AAA title from "one of their most expensive studios" when the last output was such a disaster. Risk is way too high and Sony is already cleaning up the mess from Bungie aquisition

violence

The studio has to close - I cant imagine Sony bankrolling another AAA title from "one of their most expensive studios" when the last output was such a disaster. Risk is way too high and Sony is already cleaning up the mess from Bungie aquisition
Sony has closed studios for less than this.

Last edited:

Fbh

-About 100 people or something team of supposedly top designers/programmers and many ex-Bungie veterans.

To me the most unbelievable part is still that towards the end of development Sony saw the game and was like
Excited Jurassic Park GIF

And they bought the Studio

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
FW will close, but Ryan Ellis is still employed in a support role.

At some point, someone will spill the beans or he'll update his Linkedin resume which studio he works for. Will be hilarious which game he's part of next.

havoc00

I think the reason it’s so funny is because like this is legit gaming history like nothing like this has happened before.

AzekZero

I would’ve guessed they were balls deep in restructuring this as a f2p game. Apparently not.
I wouldn't be surprised if all the decision makers were in a massive cope bubble even after launch. Why have a plan-b when plan-a's gonna succeed?

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I would’ve guessed they were balls deep in restructuring this as a f2p game. Apparently not.
Given what happened, it made sense to shut it all down, and shut down the studio too any time now.

But oddly, that final tweet was oddly vague like it's coming back for a second try. If it's true it's dead, it was a peculiar message to end it.

Last edited:

poodaddy

Not really. It's in northwest Washington.

Simple cost of living question.
Nah. I lived in Seattle for twelve years, it's very expensive but it's not more expensive than the vast majority of California, which is where several of Sony's other studios are, studios of a much greater pedigree than this one as well, so while it does shed some light on their high salaries, it doesn't completely explain why they're some of the most expensive per head.

Danny22

Neo Member
LET THEM FINISH LAST OF US 2 ONLINE
That would be too much sense for Sony's current leadership. Leadership currently is that out of touch executive who doesn't understand that success in the video game sector is playing to your strengths and not creating generic products in genres that market research indicates would sell well.

Hurst probably wants to look like a 'hard decision' maker and will fire this company's staff as if this isn't all his mess in the first place. I wonder if something will happen to him after Fairgames flops.

This is my main problem with Sony. I LIKE them targeting live service unlike the majority on the internet. But you need to use your existing critically acclaimed gameplay and expand it into an mp ongoing process i.e spiderman mp game, twisted metal, factions, helldivers (that last one didn't get cancelled and look at its success). Instead they're chasing cartoon horizon, and generic products any other company could have made.

Last edited:

laynelane

Nah. I lived in Seattle for twelve years, it's very expensive but it's not more expensive than the vast majority of California, which is where several of Sony's other studios are, studios of a much greater pedigree than this one as well, so while it does shed some light on their high salaries, it doesn't completely explain why they're some of the most expensive per head.

Perhaps it's like when they acquired Bungie - they paid extra to retain talent. In this case, from what I understand, Firewalk has several experienced devs that migrated from other studios (Bungie, ABK, etc.). The higher salaries could possibly be explained as a way of retaining that talent since Sony has shown they have no problem paying for that. Just guessing on my part, though.

poodaddy

Perhaps it's like when they acquired Bungie - they paid extra to retain talent. In this case, from what I understand, Firewalk has several experienced devs that migrated from other studios (Bungie, ABK, etc.). The higher salaries could possibly be explained as a way of retaining that talent since Sony has shown they have no problem paying for that. Just guessing on my part, though.
Yeah that's probably exactly right actually, good thinking there. Man, those guys lucked out on their salary negotiations....they were guaranteed FAR more than they were apparently worth lol. Must have been a kush few years on Sony's ample dime for what were clearly either underachievers or incompetents, very lucky jackasses, like a whole studio of Leslie Neilson's.

laynelane

Yeah that's probably exactly right actually, good thinking there. Man, those guys lucked out on their salary negotiations....they were guaranteed FAR more than they were apparently worth lol. Must have been a kush few years on Sony's ample dime for what were clearly either underachievers or incompetents, very lucky jackasses, like a whole studio of Leslie Neilson's.

I suspect the finance guys and top-level execs are having a good, long look at this state of affairs right now - and the gravy train at Firewalk is definitely over. All that investment - time and money - for a game that lasted less than two weeks and had to be refunded. Just amazing, really.

diffusionx

Gold Member
This studio made a multiplayer game nobody wanted to play. I mean that's incredible in its own way. But I don't see how it can continue. It just isn't a functional place. But some executives who helped push it through need to go as well. Total failure up and down the org.

People on here tried to tell me that Concord cost about $37 to develop and Sony is making 4,000 of these GAAS games so when 3,999 fail it does not matter as long as one is successful so it doesn't matter.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

As crazy as it seems, there was a tweet from Herman Hulst in 2021 or 2022 saying how good the game is from what he saw at Firewalk. He and the rest of the Sony gang must had loved what they saw so much, they didnt even bother partnering with them the traditional way and see how it goes. The bought out the whole studio in 2023.

Same thing with Jade Raymond's Haven studio. A newly built studio with nothing. Bought them out. And people arent liking their anti-rich woke heist game going by the trailer.

And Bungie of course too. At least they got a good track record. Problem is they paid $3.6B and the second they bought them in early 2022, it's been downhill since.

kevboard

it's not the 'professor' aka Neogaf's boogeyman.

lol, no one here lost more than 100 million dollars, Sony did.
arguably the worst failure in videogame history. I'd think anyone working with that person should see said person as the boogeyman. :pie_roffles:

Top Bottom