• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Concord headed to be Sony's biggest first party flop ever?

Killjoy-NL

Oh you had one? Are you sure it wasn't another one of those circular arguments you're very fond of?
Goes both ways, kiddo.

Concord is MP focus game which relies on other people playing the game to be successful and stay playable. Stellar Blade in other hand is offline SP game, it doesn’t need sell crazy number in order to be successful.
Can't run a successfull business when your titles sell a mere 1M either way.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Nobody had Concord at the top of their wish-list and I doubt anyone really gives a fuck if the game flops. (Outside pf a few Woke alfabet people).

It's more like some people have been waiting for years for a Sony game to fail, so even a small W feels like a defining moment of sorts. Lol

Lots of diehard PS fans who hate Sony's push for GAS games also want this game to fail. No one wants games like Concord and Fairgame$.

Killjoy-NL

Lots of diehard PS fans who hate Sony's push for GAS games also want this game to fail. No one wants games like Concord and Fairgame$.
I know, but that's retarded.
They haven't been listening to what Sony has been saying then.

Sony is going to need both. Concord not being the game doesn't matter.

As for Concord itself, they fucked it up themselves by going Woke.

Shift Up went public and is valued around 10 times Insomniac. I would say they are doing ok.

Let's see how many peanuts Firewalk is worth within the next 12 months.
Shift Up isn't Sony.

Apples and oranges.

PeteBull

Gold Member
Goes both ways, kiddo.

Can't run a successfull business when your titles sell a mere 1M either way.
If u dont pay sweet baby/dont do any dei hires but actually hire/pay on merit, suddenly project budget doesnt grow to crazy proportions anymore and 1m sold copies at/around launch(so 70usd/euro per copy) isnt small amount at all :)

Phase

image.png

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
You can if your game is not crazy high budget.

Meanwhile Concord is both high budget and needs high sales number in order to stay active.

Well, I'm not too sure.

I don't think they are going for sales numbers, the game is not priced at $69.99 (I don't recall the actual price, I think it was $39.99) either way, they seem to be going for more buying the game, then more money directly from the sale of the game. They might be more so looking to make that money back thru DLC, expansions, MTX etc.

So I can't really sale the sales number is the thing they are going for as much as post launch purchases in game or something.

It's hilarious how ugly and stupid the characters look, why is art direction so fucking bad now? Why do we hate everything that's cool looking or sexy?

It's just radical that devs have committed to a style nobody wants, nobody buys, nobody plays and does nothing but put devs out of business, but boy howdy, don't try telling these people it was a bad idea.

Pure. Fucking. Trash.

Sonik

Is there any indication on how much this dumpster fire cost to make? Surely it's not anything near 100 million, right? Anything close to it would be a colossal disaster

It's hilarious how ugly and stupid the characters look, why is art direction so fucking bad now? Why do we hate everything that's cool looking or sexy?

It's just radical that devs have committed to a style nobody wants, nobody buys, nobody plays and does nothing but put devs out of business, but boy howdy, don't try telling these people it was a bad idea.

Pure. Fucking. Trash.

They’re all drinking their own kool aid in a bubble house of politics in Seattle

Its DEI the game

Problem is, even though DEI mind virus has infected every corporation from the top down, the employees and consumers see through the bullshit

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don't understand how these studios are still operating.
You never know. Some of them might already be gone.

When it comes to gaming studio shut downs, it typically becomes known when an employee goes on Twitter they are looking for a job. Then another says the studio got shut down two weeks ago. Then the parent company finally opens their mouth to make a statement.

Funny how when a corporation opens a new studio it's a giant celebration of PR. When a studio closes, they all shut their mouths as long as possible until they got to say something.

PeteBull

Gold Member
So I can't really sale the sales number is the thing they are going for as much as post launch purchases in game or something.
Lets not go xbox route and lets not praise the mau, more sales means bigger playerbase, game is supposed to be 40$(which is 100% stupid obviously), which shows how balooned their ego is- even as f2p it will be huge flop, as we saw from 2,3k concurent players peak in open beta weekend :)

Hypereides

Gold Member

It's just radical that devs have committed to a style nobody wants
, nobody buys, nobody plays and does nothing but put devs out of business, but boy howdy, don't try telling these people it was a bad idea.

Pure. Fucking. Trash.
Its out of spite. Its a product by a studio whose primary concern is the ideology they've internally cultivated. They could be doing something more awe-inspiring, but chose to deliberately go against that.

Its a shame because the art style in itself isn't that bad, but the character designs leave something to be desired.

Killjoy-NL

1m sold copies at/around launch(so 70usd/euro per copy) isnt small amount at all :)
1M is a small amount for a company like Sony.
It's something they'd do on the side.

Which they can afford, because they make a lot of revenue.
But to be able to continue to do that and to do that more frequently, they need to generate a steady flow of revenue.

And that won't be possible by just releasing smaller singleplayer titles like Stellar Blade or Returnal.
They need more than that, hence Gaas.

I swear that sometimes it's like some people haven't been paying attention for the past 5 years.

Last edited:

PeteBull

Gold Member
1M is a small amount for a company like Sony.
It's something they'd do on the side.

Which they can afford, because they make a lot of revenue.
But to be able to continue to do that and to do that more frequently, they need to generate a steady flow of revenue.

And that won't be possible by just releasing smaller singleplayer titles like Stellar Blade or Returnal.
They need more than that, hence Gaas.

I swear that sometimes it's like some people haven't been paying attention for the past 5 years.
To make cash on gaas they cant make it shit woke gaas but gaas that ppl actually wanna play tho, so far helldivers is decent(not crazy big, that i would reserve for cod/pbug/fortnite/lol/csgo etc) success, all other gaas from sony look like complete flops so they lost and keep losing money on that genre as of now :)

Edit: here helldivers2 steam numbers, thats what is needed for free gaas that hundreds of devs work for solid few years(4-6) to be a success

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

To make cash on gaas they cant make it shit woke gaas but gaas that ppl actually wanna play tho, so far helldivers is decent(not crazy big, that i would reserve for cod/pbug/fortnite etc) success, all other gaas from sony look like complete flops so they lost and keep losing money on that genre as of now :)
Well yeah, if they fuck up, they fucked up.

But they already said they expected some of the Gaas titles in production to not succeed, so this has been calculated into that.

Which raises the question to how much of a success they expected this game to be to begin with.

Is there any indication on how much this dumpster fire cost to make? Surely it's not anything near 100 million, right? Anything close to it would be a colossal disaster
They bought the studio and bankrolled this, surely it's north of 100 million.

Some would have you believe it isn't a flop though cause no one had it on their radar which was defintely nothing to do with it's fumbled reveal or anything 🤣

Killjoy-NL

They bought the studio and bankrolled this, surely it's north of 100 million.

Some would have you believe it isn't a flop though cause no one had it on their radar which was defintely nothing to do with it's fumbled reveal or anything 🤣
That's not what I was saying.

Put it in the right context, as I was saying 'biggest flop ever' was hyperbolic.

EDMIX

Lets not go xbox route and lets not praise the mau, more sales means bigger playerbase,
lol what I mean is their goal might be getting more people to make more money, as to why its price is lower then normal.

It sounds like their end goal is not simply money from the game sales itself, but the player base number being high so they can make their return from in game purchases.

Of course they want to sell as many units as they can, nothing in my comment is disregarding that, simply that their end goal is making that return thru in game purchases, not simply just the game sale itself. So I think their belief is the lower price gets them a bigger player base that buys more content in game etc.

So again, I can't really say the end sale of the physical game is their goal here as much as growing that player base really high to get a return on in game purchases. If their goal was to solely make money from the physical game itself, they would likely just charge 69.99 or something. I wouldn't even be surprised if this goes free to play like a lot are saying, but I think based on the timing, it could be too late, but who knows. Either way, my comment is not disregarding the physical sale, merely pointing out their goal might be to make that return from the in game purchases, cause why make it $39.99?

I just realized, they did the same thing with Helldivers 2...

So...something tells me they have some plan for that lower entry for playing or something.

That's not what I was saying.

Put it in the right context, as I was saying 'biggest flop ever' was hyperbolic.
Sony bought the studio, funded this for 4 years or so (to the tune of at least 100 million), dedicated 15 minutes of their showcase to, had a disastrous open beta (I mean demo).

Are you genuinely gonna sit on the belief that Sony, the industry leader, didn't think they had a hit on their hands?

If this isn't one of the biggest, if not the biggest, flops of all time... I'd love to see the other games that cost this much that landed on their belly.

PeteBull

Gold Member
Of course they want to sell as many units as they can, nothing in my comment is disregarding that, simply that their end goal is making that return thru in game purchases, not simply just the game sale itself. So I think their belief is the lower price gets them a bigger player base that buys more content in game etc.
Once again bro- sony/concord dev is to blame themselfs here, if game design wasnt so offputing and there would be no woke pandering normal ppl would at least give it a try, some would like it some wouldnt and that is ok.

At the very least innitial concurent players peak wouldnt be 2,3k but 100k, on the base of that they could make sales of cosmetics/skins etc, but with so lil initial playerbase(keep in mind huge chunk of that were paid journos/streamers, so not ur normal players) there is simply no1 left to make money on, and no- fat lesbians dont play arena shooters, or at least none of them compared to young boys/adult males, so if studio wanna have big player base they gotta pander to the target audience- its common sense- u want buyers of ur product to not be put off from buying it.

Its logical, simple, some companies already recognised the trends and ofc wanna profit https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/tractor-supply-no-longer-going-woke-eliminate-dei-goals

Killjoy-NL

Sony bought the studio, funded this for 4 years or so (to the tune of at least 100 million), dedicated 15 minutes of their showcase to, had a disastrous open beta (I mean demo).

Are you genuinely gonna sit on the belief that Sony, the industry leader, didn't think they had a hit on their hands?

If this isn't one of the biggest, if not the biggest, flops of all time... I'd love to see the other games that cost this much that landed on their belly.
I think they bought them more for the potential of the studio than it was for the Concord franchise.

As much as can be said about Concord, the quality they are delivering is outstanding.
It's everything besides that which resulted in the shitshow.

Last edited:

PeteBull

Gold Member
I think they bought them more for the potential of the studio than it was for the Concord franchise.

As much as can be said about Concord, the quality they are delivering is outstanding.
It's everything besides that which resulted in the shitshow.
Its just another arena multiplayer shooter bro, quality isnt anything outstanding, its avg, maybe 7/10 at best if we remove all the wokeness, dev studio needs a serious restrucrurisation aka clean up, i bet there are more woke bubble ppl in there than just one crazy "professor" or game wouldnt go into woke direction like it did- if it was just one insane person she would get fired and none of the woke ideas would make it to the final product.

U can tell majority of heads of the studio if not all of them gotta be replaced.

In my country( poland, but i checked, turkey and china got similar saying, no idea what would be english equivalent) we say- the fish rots from the head- it means ppl at the top are always the ones who are responsible for failures of project/country/company etc.

EDMIX

U defending that game like professor would be ur long lost sister, bro, so ofc i reply to ur defense posts :)
? huh?

I'm not buying this game...

My post is merely saying the lower price is cause they want more people playing to get more money thru in game purchases as to why they choose 39.99.

Wow man, you need to maybe take a step back from all this.

Not all comments being made are to fight you. Its like you want someone to argue against the shit you are posting ,even when the comment isn't saying anything near what your reply is saying lol It sounds fucking bat shit crazy. Stop making invisible arguments with yourself

Be like "The lower price might be to get more sales to make money back from MTX"
Once again bro- sony/concord dev is to blame themselfs
^ lol

giphy.webp
giphy.gif

lol

Have a good one man, not that serious.

Killjoy-NL

Its just another arena multiplayer shooter bro, quality isnt anything outstanding, its avg, maybe 7/10 at best if we remove all the wokeness, dev studio needs a serious restrucrurisation aka clean up, i bet there are more woke bubble ppl in there than just one crazy "professor" or game wouldnt go into woke direction like it did- if it was just one insane person she would get fired and none of the woke ideas would make it to the final product.

U can tell majority of heads of the studio if not all of them gotta be replaced.

In my country( poland, but i checked, turkey and china got similar saying, no idea what would be english equivalent) we say- the fish rots from the head- it means ppl at the top are always the ones who are responsible for failures of project/country/company etc.
What's wrong with a 7/10 shooter?

As for the rest of your post, Idc about all that.
I was talking about potential based on the technical aspects of Concord, ie audio, animation, graphics (not talking art direction), performance.

And again, Idc if the game flops or not. That's on them.
But the studio has potential.

Last edited:

EDMIX

As for the rest of your post, Idc about all that.
I was talking about potential based on the technical aspects of Concord, ie audio, animation, graphics (not talking art directiom), performance.

And again, Idc if the game flops or not. That's on them.
But the studio has potential.

True, but with that genre, you can't afford to even be 7/10. With MP games like this, you have to be rock solid out of the gate.

The rest of his post.....well I have no clue whats going on with all that lol

I think Sony like had those studios knowing they would have some hits or misses, so we might see something else from them after this as the actual production quality of the title looks really good (although I have not played it, just saw videos online that a few posted on here) So who knows what happens with this studio tbh.

Doubtful Sony just assumed every last GaaS game they put out was going to move record units, that is a wild genre and nothing is guaranteed.

Look at Turtle Rock, from amazing Left 4 Dead, to flop with Evolve. Even doing the shit great for many games isn't enough to be 100% sure of anything in that genre.

PeteBull

Gold Member
U got tons of similar ones on market already, f2p, cant expect 40$ game that is similar to all others on the market to be a success, or at least not a failure.
Gaas market isnt like any other markets/genres- if some1 is fan of western rpgs they will play 9/10 game, with plenty time to play all 8/10 and 7/10 games in the genre too, but with multiplayer gaas arena shooter u cant play 2 or 3 of such games at the same time/in a span of a month or even a year, coz they require huge time investments- again- we talking not checking out but proper playtime, which results in buying cosmetics/other mtx :)

SkylineRKR

Yep. Why would you invest a lot of time into an average team shooter with many other team shooters on the market. This one isn't free to play either, so you need to pay a 40 bucks entree fee. Be real, no one is going to do that.

If this was a household name like CoD or even BF launching at 40 with MP only then yes people might bite. But they know they get Warzone updates, and you know what you get in general.

Concord, on top of being an average team shooter with no single original ideas whatsoever, is also infested with DEI. Which limits their target audience further, contrary to what they might think themselves.

Killjoy-NL

U got tons of similar ones on market already, f2p, cant expect 40$ game that is similar to all others on the market to be a success, or at least not a failure.
Gaas market isnt like any other markets/genres- if some1 is fan of western rpgs they will play 9/10 game, with plenty time to play all 8/10 and 7/10 games in the genre too, but with multiplayer gaas arena shooter u cant play 2 or 3 of such games at the same time/in a span of a month or even a year, coz they require huge time investments- again- we talking not checking out but proper playtime, which results in buying cosmetics/other mtx :)
It's easy to put games on rotation. The benefit of Gaas titles is that you can leave them and have new content when returning at a later date, possibly with some needed changes as well.

All a publisher needs, is to have people put a games in their rotation.

Gaas and singleplayer games aren't even that different in that regard.
Putting a Gaas title in your rotation isn't that much different from putting a game in your backlog.

Edit:

I'm talking Gaas in general, not Concord specifically.

Last edited:

PeteBull

Gold Member
It's easy to put games on rotation. The benefit of Gaas titles is that you can leave them and have new content when returning at a later date, possibly with some needed changes as well.

All a publisher needs, is to have people put a games in their rotation.

Gaas and singleplayer games aren't even that different in that regard.
Putting a Gaas title in your rotation isn't that much different from putting a game in your backlog.

Edit:

I'm talking Gaas in general, not Concord specifically.
Can only give u my example, played some GAAS games myself, and ones i spent at/played most were wow and d2r, durning time i playead each of them i didnt even have time to play singleplayer games in my backlog(so 20-30h on avg w/o spending a cent, since in my backlog already), not to mention playing/paying for new gaas game aka huge time investment.

Killjoy-NL

Can only give u my example, played some GAAS games myself, and ones i spent at/played most were wow and d2r, durning time i playead each of them i didnt even have time to play singleplayer games in my backlog(so 20-30h on avg w/o spending a cent, since in my backlog already), not to mention playing/paying for new gaas game aka huge time investment.
That's a you-problem then.

I've played FFXIV and Destiny religously at the time, yet still found time to also play games like Bloodborne, MGSV, Until Dawn, Paragon and many others.

And there are many others like me.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Actually, no. A GaaS needs a huge audience to fly and besides, Sony has bought the studio. The figures aren't on the same level as niche single players like Returnal or Stellar Blade, no matter the mental gymnastics after this narrative.

Concord is already a failure and the level of time and money it needs to be amended is just not worth the try. `

The idea of saving the studio is mind-boggling, too. People who have willingly sabotaged their own game after grabbing Sony's money deserve to shut down, nothing more.

This game has yet to launch yet. Returnal and Stellar Blade are not niche at all. They are AAA games.

Concord is the next tentpole Sony Playstation 5 first party AAA exclusive title, and Sony bets a lot into this game.

This game has yet to launch yet. Returnal and Stellar Blade are not niche at all. They are AAA games.

Concord is the next tentpole Sony Playstation 5 first party AAA exclusive title, and Sony bets a lot into this game.
Did you get the survey? I thought the questions therein were quite telling.

Top Bottom