• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Kotaku] Concord Director Steps Down As Studio Behind Historic PlayStation Flop Waits For Sony's Decision

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Shinji Mikami should’ve retired after God Hand because it was trash, right? Also, a game can be great and still sell poorly, it isn’t a good metric to measure quality. The woke direction Concord took is due to our current social climate. There is nothing career ending here for Ryan Ellis, he still has a future in the business and having played Destiny 2 in it’s prime when he was involved, I’d still want him to lead projects again in the future.
Not going to argue with you over why Concord flopped and what should be trashed over social climate

This dude oversaw the biggest flop ever, in my book thats a career killer full stop

They are fucking done

400 million?

James Sawyer Reaction GIF

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
Not going to argue with you over why Concord flopped and what should be trashed over social climate

This dude oversaw the biggest flop ever, in my book thats a career killer full stop
Not debating with you on why it flopped, the thread is about Ryan Ellis stepping down. The contention here is this:

These people at FW don't deserve another chance after 8 years and 250 million if this is their visions of what we gamers want
All I'm saying is there is no reason why Ryan Ellis shouldn't be able to direct another game after this. It's not career ending. But we can agree to disagree on this one.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
They are fucking done

Absolutely insane if true. Everyone needs to watch this. My summary from the other thread (which nobody will see because it’s moving so damn fast):

- already cost $200m by the time it reached alpha stage and was in atrocious state at that time

- required another $200m to get it to MVP (minimum viable product) state

- the $400M figure doesn’t even include the cost of buying the studio

-
the most expensive first/second party game Sony has ever made

- this was Herman Hulst’s baby and nobody was allowed to criticize it

- only made $1m revenue before they had to refund it and give it all back

- biggest loss Sony has ever suffered on a project

FewRope

Absolutely insane if true. Everyone needs to watch this. My summary from the other thread (which nobody will see because it’s moving so damn fast):

- already cost $200m by the time it reached alpha stage and was in atrocious state at that time

- required another $200m to get it to MVP (minimum viable product) state

- the $400M figure doesn’t even include the cost of buying the studio

-
the most expensive first/second party game Sony has ever made

- this was Herman Hulst’s baby and nobody was allowed to criticize it

- only made $1m revenue before they had to refund it and give it all back

- biggest loss Sony has ever suffered on a project
Nah, PlayStation it's done, I dont see then recover from this if it's true. And it is, because all this shit remasters indicate something

PatientGamer

Gold Member
People think Concord failed because of 'Woke' stuff. But I actually asked some real woke gamer friends of mine, and they said they wouldn't touch the game with a bargepole lol. So it failed on multiple accounts, it just wasn't fun to play. They were either told a pack of lies by the focus groups or they failed to listen to them.

Sony themselves also failed here, because they would've had MULTIPLE site visits and playthroughs of the game and they greenlit the thing. So this is as much on them as it is on Firewalk.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Agreed, and the representation stuff was not one of the major reasons.

More than anything else, that GaaS shooter space is just way too crowded and nobody playing those games, with thousands of hours invested, wants to switch.
It probably would’ve been fucked either way, but if they had cool and attractive characters that people actually liked and felt excited for, I think they easily could’ve had 50x more people playing it.

RavageX

Honestly, this would have been put into supporting VR instead of putting all your hopes and dreams on this shit.

In no way did this look like a good idea (to me). The character designs are piss poor. Robots and space suits would have been better. Better yet, use an existing world/characters, like Killzone. That might have been pretty cool. Resistance: Fall of Man even.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
So let me get this straight

Sony shut Down the historical Japan Studio

And also the amazing Evolution Studios

And London Studios even tho it's not the most iconic studio in the world, but they done lot of decent things, that are easily far more worth than Concord and specially, waaaaaaaaaaaaay less expansive...

AND THEY STILL DIDN'T SHUT DOWN THIS SHITTY STUDIO FIREWALK ALREADY?????!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOW THE FUCK?????????????

It's possible that 343i is sharing their Elixir of Insolvency Protection with Firewalk.

SSfox

I've been saying since a while that Hermen is completely is out of touch , but even didn't he was this much out of touch

samstrajack

Neo Member
Too bad - Game was really solid from what I played. They delivered on the game, but Sony should have never bit on this studio. No idea what they were thinking. Even just investing and publishing it as a 2nd party would have been excusable. Now they've got to deal with the fallout.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
If making the biggest flop of the decade isn't a reason for layoff I don't know what is.

"due to our current social climate" what???? You make a product for people, not for social display and twitter shares. In fact, this mindset alone should be enough to end someone's career, for being on the opposite end of what entertainment is all about.

Safe to say its the biggest flop of all time.

Shakka43

Ah,I'm actually having fun. I enjoy the strong emotions and discussions that this game seems to get. But anyways, it wasn't the 'professor' . Excited for the thread of that day.

Although it should be Herman Hulst, the one who bought this company in the first place. And Sony, who gave so much power to Bungie and its ex-developers that they cancelled Factions and let this see the light of day.
We should all be happy Factions was cancelled, if it had come out and saw any type of success... Naughty Dog's days as a top single player games studio would be gone.

LMJ

Hopefully this will be a wake up call for Playstation that these stupid high budget and ridiculous office politics where any dissent is ignored is not only dangerous but disastrous at it's absolute worst.

Hopefully the "Professor" and her ilk will kindly fade into obscurity rather than infest another studio...

Astrobot, the Plucky Squire and Black Myth are proof you don't need obscene budgets, but passion, skilled devs and unique premises/gameplay rather than yet shinier static worlds where we get to be preached to yet again rather than just a great game, there are alternative ways Sony, there really are!

laynelane

But what if it truly is...
Dave Chappelle GIF

Given the unmitigated disasters that PS has navigated and survived before (PS3 reveal, PSN hack, etc.), I think they can course correct on this. And by "this", I mean the problems within that caused a game like Concord to be made and released in the first place. A good sign is that they pulled it and offered refunds right away. At least we know that now, someone at Sony is making different choices than those which led to the financial investment in and release of Concord. My bet is that it's a different person or people too and we will see more changes incoming.

Essentially, the financial loss and reputational damage from Concord is just too big to ignore and has revealed a real problem(s) with the way things are being run - and Sony has survived this long in a competitive environment because they will fix problems that harm their business.

Saturn Dragon

Neo Member
So let me get this straight

Sony shut Down the historical Japan Studio

And also the amazing Evolution Studios

And London Studios even tho it's not the most iconic studio in the world, but they done lot of decent things, that are easily far more worth than Concord and specially, waaaaaaaaaaaaay less expansive...

AND THEY STILL DIDN'T SHUT DOWN THIS SHITTY STUDIO FIREWALK ALREADY?????!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOW THE FUCK?????????????
Japan Studio closing is sort of understandable.
I'm just guessing here, maybe I'm totally wrong, but It probably felt like an ARTSY GAMES STUDIO for the western Sony higher ups and they just didn't see its profitability.

Though I hate Sony now because I think Japan Studio was not only historical, but ICONIC and CLASSY studio.

Zacfoldor

Reading the article, why does everyone try to make a game that "bringing players together?"

I want a game that rips players apart, like Concord, but mean spirited to everyone instead of just the vast majority of gamers.

I want a character called "The Bigot Communist" that just rips on everyone and don't give a fuck. Let it be like an alien that hates all humans but is also a communist but only when other identical aliens are the ones in need. Let's give these characters some interesting woke dynamics that make us consider our own hypocrisy.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Funny thing is (unless they are already fired and under NDA), the studio is on hold and everyone is “on vacation” since launch. Their Twitter account went cold fast.

So as crazy as it seems you got 150 doing absolutely nothing for the past month and still getting paid.

At least Ryan Ellis played the corporate game and already scored another Sony job a week ago. No doubt he planned that a month or two ago with execs as he saw the writing on the wall. Most FW people are probably sitting at home now in limbo waiting for that MS Teams meeting whether they will be transitioned to another studio or fired.

foamdino

Sounds as if the bit that was ok, the gunplay and the polish, only happened because Sony sent a load of good devs to make it work. Almost as if the ex-bungie folks brought their awful production setup with them when they created the studio.

I did think at one point that the staff had the talent to make good shooters but the direction of a gaas hero shooter was really poor. Now though I feel that there's little value in the studio and staff if they only got to a shippable state by leaning very heavily on a bunch of Sony dev talent. Yikes.

Top Bottom