• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Concord headed to be Sony's biggest first party flop ever?

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Perhaps this will be the next GAAS game to succeed after Helldivers 2.

aoORXNn_700b.jpg

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I don't understand how these studios are still operating.

Still operating???????
BlH7AewCQAALy2G.jpg

• Volition Games closed
  • Luminous Productions closed (was absorbed).
  • Ascendant Studios furloughed more than half the staff. (if they dont get investment i bet they close soon)
  • Mimimi Games closed, but Shadow Gambit was a good game.
  • Ivory Tower is doing well......Ubisoft games dont sell well on Steam so using SteamCharts to gauge success is pointless.
  • When Concord bombs Sony are gonna turn Firewalk into a support studio for Bungie and Haven.
  • When Havens game bombs they are gonna turn Haven into a support studio for Bungie.
  • A44 Games basically self publishes and the success of Tchia, Sifu, Scorn and their Gamepass/Playstation payday means they are already funding Expedition 33.
  • Rocksteady...............

Last edited:

Mobilemofo

And I am in the camp that being "woke" is just one of a long list of problems for Concord

I never played it, couldn't be bothered to download it after watching some streamers actually play it but it was obvious for many people even from the reveal this game was in serious trouble
I did exactly the same. Watched some YouTube videos on it, about 5 or 6, and decided to not make my ps5 waste its time, and mine. It looks so incredibly average. Maybe it's my age. 😅

peek

You know... hats off to them for creating their OWN game with these weirdo elements in it. That way, we can all see how it will either sink or swim in the market.

Much better than the usual: take a beloved IP and inject blatant bullshit no one actually wants, but rather just the devs way of inserting their world views into the game.

Bravo! XD

Edit: oh also, probably already been said before, but how the hell you gonna make a HERO shooter and all the heroes look like absolute shit?? Like come on now.

Last edited:

Lambogenie

It's like they all tried to make every hero look bland, average, boring and shit.

Anyone that tells you "I related to [famous hero]" is full of shit. Cool, fantastical characters are appealing and thats why you like it first and foremost. Black Panther has a sick outfit and does sick things. Dante (DMC) looks cool and does cool things. Sora (KH) looks weirdly appealing and does cool shit with Donald Duck. The list goes on. Average looking person with boring outfit isn't appealing. I'll even say, forget diversity ticking, the visual look of them are all atrocious.

Concord is: your average 5/10 friend dressed thinking they're uniqur doing boring shit + blatant diversity tick boxing while some keeps rubbing the dial hoping it goes higher. It's not good looking, they're not doing anything cool or exciting. It's boring as hell character designs with almost no direction other than "make everyone look and be as average and mundane as possible".

I give properties like My Hero Academia flack for quite boring powers/characters but at least most of them look appealing!

There is nothing cool about any of the way Concord's heroes look. It deserves to fail.

Edit: comparing to Overwatch, you can say that tries to tick diversity as well. But it does it arguably well. The characters look coherent and well put together. Mei is cute as a button, and she's chubby. Hamster guy is a bloody hamster. Cute. Zarya, butch lesbian (?), looks and acts cool. Later characters even fit in visually but clearly take a dose of "make 'em average and boring looking".

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
You know... hats off to them for creating their OWN game with these weirdo elements in it. That way, we can all see how it will either sink or swim in the market.

Much better than the usual: take a beloved IP and inject blatant bullshit no one actually wants, but rather just the devs way of inserting their world views into the game.

Bravo! XD

Edit: oh also, probably already been said before, but how the hell you gonna make a HERO shooter and all the heroes look like absolute shit?? Like come on now.
On the one hand, yeah isn’t it wonderful to see how the woke shit does when it’s forced to sink or swim by its own merits, rather than leeching off an established franchise?

On the other hand, these parasites have already sucked all the life out of so many beloved classic IPs, they’re running out of hosts to feed off of.

PeteBull

Gold Member
On the one hand, yeah isn’t it wonderful to see how the woke shit does when it’s forced to sink or swim by its own merits, rather than leeching off an established franchise?

On the other hand, these parasites have already sucked all the life out of so many beloved classic IPs, they’re running out of hosts to feed off of.
Speaking of parasites, any1 still remember aya brea from parasite eve?
Aya.Brea.600.148993.jpg

Thats how intro to that game looked, back in 1998, highly recommend btw :D

jwaxeman

Somehow, I'm not surprised. Also, "delusional mess" is a good way to put it - particularly in relation to some of the artistic choices.
I know how this website skews but this isn’t what’s wrong with the game. If it was a single player AAA Sony FPS with a robust campaign and more interesting multiplayer it would be killing. The staff is made up of a ton of veteran FPS devs. The game itself is fun. Picking one staff member out to bully them based off of some right wing Twitter narrative is so shitty. The game is suffering because it’s just doing Overwatch when people are sick of Overwatch. This is like saying Guardians of the Galaxy is woke or pretending Overwatch didn’t make a killing the same way. It’s just too derivative. Probably because they pitched the game half a decade ago, and by the time it’s out the market has shifted.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I know how this website skews but this isn’t what’s wrong with the game. If it was a single player AAA Sony FPS with a robust campaign and more interesting multiplayer it would be killing. The staff is made up of a ton of veteran FPS devs. The game itself is fun. Picking one staff member out to bully them based off of some right wing Twitter narrative is so shitty. The game is suffering because it’s just doing Overwatch when people are sick of Overwatch. This is like saying Guardians of the Galaxy is woke or pretending Overwatch didn’t make a killing the same way. It’s just too derivative. Probably because they pitched the game half a decade ago, and by the time it’s out the market has shifted.
Meanwhile Marvel’s Overwatch clone is getting over 20x the player count in their closed beta. You’re being very disingenuous claiming that it’s only problem is that it’s too derivative.

laynelane

Dislike of the the characters is far beyond "how this website skews". The reason it's being brought up by many people on different platforms is because the characters are unappealing. You can invent some conspiracy theory for why this is or you can just accept that the characters are an issue.

Msamy

I just hope that all sony upcoming first party gaas titles to be afloop to make them focus more in single player titles and replace those shit people's on management who's suggesting their gaas strategy plan this generation.

FunkMiller

Gold Member

I agree with you to a certain extent that the main issue with this game appears to be how incredibly tired, stale, corporate and uninspired it is.

But if you’re character hero shooter is full of characters nobody wants to play as - that’s a very big problem too.

I know how this website skews but this isn’t what’s wrong with the game. Picking one staff member out to bully them based off of some right wing Twitter narrative is so shitty.

Your strawman is the only shitty thing here.

Hero shooters need COOL HEROES or else they die. Stop your "MAGA this, MAGA that" bullshit and accept basic facts.

Comparing this to Overwatch should grant a permaban.

StueyDuck

Lol really?

Concord wasn't even a high-profile game.
Only the haters elevated it to that status.

An actual flop would be something like Hellblade 2, which was supposed to be Xbox' biggest title this gen.
To be fair this was meant to be sonys "breakaway hit in the gaas genre".

I'd say they are both adequately equally bad flops.

At the end of the day it comes down to sales and you know for sure the speshalboy and jezzydoodoo are just F5ing that steamdb page from now until launch, so we'll find out soon enough who the biggest flop ends up being

Killjoy-NL

To be fair this was meant to be sonys "breakaway hit in the gaas genre".
Was it? Never heard Sony or anyone else make such a claim.
I'd say they are both adequately equally bad flops.

At the end of the day it comes down to sales and you know for sure the speshalboy and jezzydoodoo are just F5ing that steamdb page from now until launch, so we'll find out soon enough who the biggest flop ends up being
Fair enough. Lol

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Was it? Never heard Sony or anyone else make such a claim.
You just have to read the tea leaves. They (sony) poured tons of money into things like mocap, voice actors and offline rendering for cinematics, bespoke controllers, let alone buying an entire studio and funding their escapades. Needless to say they expected this to smash.

This didn't get the destruction all stars treatment where they just farted it out on plus.

Last edited:

PeteBull

Gold Member
You just have to read the tea leaves. They (sony) poured tons of money into things like mocap, voice actors and offline rendering for cinematics, bespoke controllers, let alone buying an entire studio and funding their escapades. Needless to say they expected this to smash.

This didn't get the destruction all stars treatment where they just farted it out on plus.
Sony isnt immune to making mistakes, i remember back in ps3 days they didnt even publish demons souls in the US(atlus) or Europe(bandai namco) but customers can make them correct their ways, hence bloodborne exclusive on ps4 and demons souls remaster exclusive on ps5, not to mention whole dark souls series and super succesful elden ring :)

We just gotta keep rewarding good/promising games with sales and terrible games with no sales and market will correct itself despite woke bubble ppl agenda- capitalism is much stronger coz human greed is much stronger from any fake woke iniciatives xD

Killjoy-NL

Maybe, to me it always seemed like a B-tier title, like Infamous was, or Warhawk.

Doesn't really matter though, I just think it stole the spotlight for all the wrong reasons after the reveal and thus people made it seem like it is more than it was supposed to be.

Likely in part due to the unexpected success of HD2.

PeteBull

Gold Member
Beached whale in the very middle sweating balls from just standing, thought olimpics was supposed to promote sports/healthy lifestyle instead, but fk all that, whats most bizzare is, they put lil girl right next to all those weirdos, looks maybe 12yo but who really knows, some adults are late bloomers so i hope im wrong there.

twZ3nb8.jpeg

Concord character introduction managed to get about 23k viewers in 4 days.

Meanwhile, The First Descendant update featuring a new character with an incredibly short dress managed to get 48k views in 7 hours.

Not Concord , but someone made a comment on Mrs Freeze in the Suicide Squad game that I wish I came up with:

"So he/she/it is the Western Modern Day equivalent of TFD's Valby"

cSL5Jp6.jpeg
tYREhyr.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom