• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Kotaku] Concord Director Steps Down As Studio Behind Historic PlayStation Flop Waits For Sony's Decision

poodaddy

"one of the more expensive studios in the PlayStation portfolio on a per-head basis"

Fucking crazy. lol
Reading that, my thought was simply.... "Why?!" Unproven and inexperienced studio, brand new, no hits, no pedigree, no reputation, ....why are they paid more on average per head?

Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

HL3.exe

Sheesh, reads like an absolute nightmare. Imagine working on such a thing for years only for it flop this bad with so much funding pumped into it.

xVodevil

Sheesh, reads like an absolute nightmare. Imagine working on such a thing for years only for it flop this bad with so much funding pumped into it.
Imagine believing this is the greatest product produced ever in the history of games ever ever and ever all that time.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
The DEI team, the 'professor', marketing, PR, CM and whoever pushed for the wokeness or didn't raise a flag to stop it should leave too. All the people responsible for making the characters on purpose not likable to the user demographics that represents almost the total userbase of these PvP FPS / eSports / tactical shooter game types (which is aprox. over 90-95% male, over 85% cis & heterosexual, over 85% white).

They all should be replaced and the studio should continue starting by replacing all the characters using very cool, non-woke ones (minimum 80% of them designed to be appealing to men, white and heterosexual people) and using a unique (compared to the other main shooters) and very cool artstyle for the game they can use without needing to remake the environment art.

Other than these morons, most people unrelated to these woke things from game design, programming, art, animation, audio etc. did a good job so they should stay.

Who knows, maybe the that guy who left thought the woke stuff was nonsense and that was going to kill the game but he wasn't brave enough to mention it to don't be called a bigot/racist/sexist/homophobe/etc.
Pretty much, the real question is how is an experienced game director is so poorly led by underlings if that's the case.

TheChumpNation

Neo Member
I lost interest the second I saw the character designs. I think a lot of people did.

The character designs are definitely atrocious so fair enough. Do you think you might have been interested, even after seeing the character designs, if you were hearing positive word of mouth from others you might play the game with?

I don't play any competitive MP games really so I could easily be mistaken, but I would assume that if the game was unique and compelling otherwise it may have survived it's godawful characters.

Conversely, I think it could have the coolest character designs of all time and probably still would have flopped due to the extreme competition around it (unless it was in some way unique and compelling).

larrybrady

Neo Member
Get rid of the weirdos... Next the professor,it's gonna take like 5 ppl to overpower and drag that guy out of there,but I'm sure it can be done(maybe)..... There is some talent there though,I thought the tech/ graphics was decent on this game, and ppl said the gun play was better than decent.....the art team gotta go as of yesterday though and stay away from thr gaming industry

Well that explains it. Dude was too attached to his pet project. The character switching feature was monumentally retarded. I bet they had a lot of bad feedback (why play another character to make the one you like run faster?) but he BELIEVED.
Wow. A good human! Now there's a quality that has been known to absolutely guarantee success in business and art throughout history. Great artists are always good people.

Oh waaaaiiiiitttt. Right...

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Yep, first impressions have a big impact. People didn't even want to try Concord as seen by the free beta numbers. It's funny that, despite it being one of the most talked about points, there are still so many that try to downplay the consequences of the terrible character designs.
I can’t believe in the year 2024 we have to re-learn this lesson the hard way, that gamers want to play as cool/badass/sexy/visually distinctive characters.

You can’t just replace a hero shooter roster with a bunch of ugly, frumpy non-gendered avatars of your DEI ideology and expect it to resonate with gamers the same way.

BTW Men_in_Boxes tried to tell me that Team Fortress 2 also has bad character designs and succeeded despite that, therefore there must be some other reason for Concord’s failure. That’s the last message I saw from him before he got added to my block list.

yurinka

Pretty much, the real question is how is an experienced game director is so poorly led by underlings if that's the case.
In big corporations nowadays there are corporate wide DEI 'policies' and 'best practices guidelines' (wokeness censorship and witchhunt).

Specially in places like USA/California many people is afraid from being targeted / fired / cancelled for being called a bigot / racist / sexist / toxic etc.

As an example, the Assassin's Creed Origins director was fired and his career was over because he had a date with a fan and didn't tell her he was married. Something that should have caused an arguement with his wife (both muslim btw, he isn't white), but shouldn't have killed his career. But hit piece woke media targeted him mixing his case with the Ubisoft controversy with several supposed abuse and harassment cases etc.

Last edited:

Trilobit

Like I've said elsewhere: Change the characters into Playstation characters and turn it into the "SSBM" for PS. Tune the style and make it have more comicy violence.

It can't make things worse at least.

Ridicululzz

The character designs are definitely atrocious so fair enough. Do you think you might have been interested, even after seeing the character designs, if you were hearing positive word of mouth from others you might play the game with?

I don't play any competitive MP games really so I could easily be mistaken, but I would assume that if the game was unique and compelling otherwise it may have survived it's godawful characters.

Conversely, I think it could have the coolest character designs of all time and probably still would have flopped due to the extreme competition around it (unless it was in some way unique and compelling).
Yep, there's obviously a lot of focus around the character designs but the game didn't really bring anything new or unique to the field from what I've seen. It also not being f2p was a big factor when its competitors are.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Like I've said elsewhere: Change the characters into Playstation characters and turn it into the "SSBM" for PS. Tune the style and make it have more comicy violence.

It can't make things worse at least.
Put all the year's worth of story shorts on Youtube and add a laugh track throughout. Monetize the video. Should get them a couple thousand bucks.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Whatever ends up happening, game director Ryan Ellis will not be at the helm. Formerly at Bungie where he served as creative director on Destiny 2, Ellis left in 2017 to lead development on what would eventually become Concord. He told staff at Firewalk last week that he would be stepping down from his game director role and move into a support role instead, according to three sources familiar with the change.
If this guy can keep a job, anyone in life should be able to. The ultimate posterboy for grand failure while still staying on the payroll.

Whatever support he does, who knows. But every game studio at SIE should try to keep him off their game. Support one of the other studios please.

Last edited:

laynelane

I can’t believe in the year 2024 we have to re-learn this lesson the hard way, that gamers want to play as cool/badass/sexy/visually distinctive characters.

You can’t just replace a hero shooter roster with a bunch of ugly, frumpy non-gendered avatars of your DEI ideology and expect it to resonate with gamers the same way.

BTW Men_in_Boxes tried to tell me that Team Fortress 2 also has bad character designs and succeeded despite that, therefore there must be some other reason for Concord’s failure. That’s the last message I saw from him before he got added to my block list.

I recently watched a video talking about character designs and Team Fortress 2 came up. I don't play it so it was really interesting to see how each character gives visual cues of what their role is - along with their distinctive outlines. The character in your icon was used as a bad example of character design in that their design gives no clue what their role is (supportive/medic iirc). So, the dislike for the characters goes beyond just aesthetics in some cases - it even impacts their utility.

Agreed about re-learning the lesson too. If people want to keep putting in their DEI approved characters, then so be it. Just don't be too surprised when the audience you are trying to 'educate' soundly rejects it.

Last edited:

kaizenkko

Reading that, my thought was simply.... "Why?!" Unproven and inexperienced studio, brand new, no hits, no pedigree, no reputation, ....why are they paid more on average per head?

Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
The only explanation that I can think is: Bungie gave an extremely good feedback about the studio/project, that Jimbo/Hulst innocently accept.

I will always blame Jimbo for all that. Buying Bungie, turn PS studios in a live service games machine, all those terrible decisions are mostly his fault. I'm sure that there's others people involved in the process, but Jimbo started all this.

Last edited:

Haint

Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

HQ'ed in Seattle Washington, comprised in large part by departed veteran talent and talent poached from other studios (i.e. premium salaries). The only studios that would cost more per head would be Sony's crown jewel's in the epicenter of California, ND and SSM. I legitimately have no idea why so many industry "experts" are trying to downplay the costs of this thing and claim it was some cheap indie or AA game.

Spoiler warning, Fairgame$ is also costing them truck loads upon truck loads of money.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
"one of the more expensive studios in the PlayStation portfolio on a per-head basis"

Fucking crazy. lol
But, but, but Firewalk is full of industry vets from Bungie, Activision, Respawn etc.... Guaranteed killer game! Look at that laundry list of shooter stardom!

Z O N E

Turns out Sony funded this game from the beginning, hence why the $250M number kept floating about...

"SIE has supported our team’s vision from the beginning and with the incredible creative power of the PlayStation Studio ecosystem. This exciting next step will help us transform that vision into a reality.”

Not surprised he's stepping down... Also, I doubt this studio survives. They'll now be known as the Developers of Concord... Yeah, not a prestige title.

But the modern day audience was just busy that week. COME THE FUCK ON!

This game deserves a re-release and we need the original director with their original vision!

You are losing out of hundreds, if not thousands, of potential sales!

Last edited:

Majukun

good to see some accountability every once in a while..sometimes hindsight is 20/20, sometimes something was kinda obvious and you should have seen it coming

ZehDon

For me, the real news is that this studio was one of Sony's most expensive to run. With those kinds of numbers, a failure of this magnitude is going to ripple across Sony.

Majukun

Wonder if this was the idiot that went all in for disproportionate representation, alienating 95% of the people that would've brought this shite in the first place.
designs didn't help, but concorde was still gonna be a 40 dollars alternative in a f2p dominated genre that for what i heard (i don't play the genre) is actually worse than said f2p alternatives

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Turns out Sony funded this game from the beginning, hence why the $250M number kept floating about...

Not surprised he's stepping down... Also, I doubt this studio survives. They'll now be known as the Developers of Concord... Yeah, not a prestige title.
The studio was less than 12 people in 2019.

The 200 million number was always ridiculous.

Top Bottom