• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It All Began With... Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep |OT|

Luigi87

Jeels said:
=O Complain!

I just sent off an email to them.

When the decals were announced, I was complaining to friends about how it was the only bonus NA was getting... And now that I didn't receive mine, I wonder if it some sort of... karmic interference <.<

But dammit, I was promised free stuff regardless of my feelings!

Foffy

Banned
Peff said:
You need to play more Command Board!

I figured that out last night. :lol

I'm still missing a finisher for Terra, if the Report Book is anything to note...there's nothing missing on the progress screen for finisher moves, though. Does anybody have any idea on what it is?

Also..do I have to clear the Mirage Arena with Ventus and Aqua to get the last two Arena Missions? I figure that, considering one of the bosses in the Arena is a boss Terra fights in the main story, that it applies to the other two characters as well.

Noooooooooooo

Doesn't work with M33-6 6.20 PRX

Game boots but stays in a black screen. Looks like I might have to upgrade to prometheus.

Aeana

ExtraKr1spy said:
Noooooooooooo

Doesn't work with M33-6 6.20 PRX

Game boots but stays in a black screen. Looks like I might have to upgrade to prometheus.
You might as well. Is there some reason not to?
That said, I heard you can patch some games with iso_tool to make them work on 5.00 M33-6. No idea if that works with this, though.

Luigi87

darkjedi187 said:
I thought the same, but it was in the case. I also got mine from Amazon.

Yeah, I checked inside the case, and both English and French manuals I received before I sent my email, but no decals.

Got mine just now! :D

It's been a long time since I bought a UMD! By the way, this game isn't even on the Japanese PSN store, right?

Ah well. I'd love a PSN version but this will do. I'll just add it to my other non-PSN Square-Enix games like Crisis Core, FF Tactics, and Star Ocean.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
There is no PSN version in any region, and that doesn't seem likely to change anytime soon.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Borman said:
IMG_1710.jpg

:p

Cool faked lensbaby.

Unless . . you really have a lensbaby.

On the game side of things, the story seems a wee bit sparsed, though I'm only playing through as Ventus right now and I guess the others filling in will help a lot. I love the combat, love the worlds,
(DISNEY TOWN SO TIGHT PINBALL MACHINE)
it's just I'm not really connecting with Ventus's search for . . friends or something. It's not hard to get or anything, but I think Aqua and Terra will provide the better playthroughs.

I'm just excited there two more characters to obsess over in a main story line!

Takao

Banned
Man, I'm a weak guy. I bought it today. Popped it into the 3000, and got chills hearing the Utada theme for the 1000th time. Then I learned I had to recharge the 3000 for a while to allow data install. :(

Tucah

you speak so well
Playing through Terra right now. The gameplay is definitely the best the series has been - the Command deck is great, the board game minigame is pretty fun, the multiplayer is decent. My only complaint is that the story is pretty tame so far, and nothing is really happening.

SOLDIER

I was able to get this game running on my 2000 using the Prometheus 5.50 hack, but it won't let me install data. I keep getting an error message when I try. Everything else works, though.

Can someone help me with this? The load times are pretty unbearable so far.

While waiting for my PSP to charge, I have a couple of questions.

What is this 32-bit/16-bit option thing I'm hearing about? And also, I'm reading from other posts that I can select CPU speed, which is something like 332mhz or something?

Is this selected on the options menu and what do you recommend I set them as?

Luigi87

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
While waiting for my PSP to charge, I have a couple of questions.

What is this 32-bit/16-bit option thing I'm hearing about? And also, I'm reading from other posts that I can select CPU speed, which is something like 332mhz or something?

Is this selected on the options menu and what do you recommend I set them as?

You can display the game in either 16-bit colours (default), or 32-bit colours. Naturally the latter will be more vibrant, however it may cause slowdown as it warns.

For CPU, there is Normal (222mhz) and Accelerated (333mhz) which will stop slowdown at the cost of battery power, and recommends using the AC Adapter (so if using 32-bit, use 333mhz... Which since I'm keeping mine plugged in, I myself am using).

Luigi87 said:
You can display the game in either 16-bit colours (default), or 32-bit colours. Naturally the latter will be more vibrant, however it may cause slowdown as it warns.

For CPU, there is Normal (222mhz) and Accelerated (333mhz) which will stop slowdown at the cost of battery power, and recommends using the AC Adapter (so if using 32-bit, use 333mhz... Which since I'm keeping mine plugged in, I myself am using).
Thanks.

Also, if I play without the AC adapter, I should play it in 16-bit/222mhz and the game should run fine without slowdowns?

Got the game sitting at home for me, in the barbershop right now after I get a cut im gonna grab a bite to eat and the rest of the week is birth by sleep as there's no class for me till monday.

I can't believe its been 4 years since I've played and beat kingdom hearts 2, I figured I be playing kh3 in 2010 boy was I wrong :lol

SOLDIER

Seems lots of people are having the data install issue, but no solution. Would this have something to do with the CFW, or the memory card? Looks like some people managed to fix the problem by swapping cards.

mjc

I don't know how it happened but I found out who Vanicas is.

As an aside, I'm kinda interested in picking this one up. I haven't played KH since the first one but I remember enjoying it. The storyline was a bit too convoluted for my tastes though.

Borman

Fidelis Hodie said:
Cool faked lensbaby.

Unless . . you really have a lensbaby.

On the game side of things, the story seems a wee bit sparsed, though I'm only playing through as Ventus right now and I guess the others filling in will help a lot. I love the combat, love the worlds,
(DISNEY TOWN SO TIGHT PINBALL MACHINE)
it's just I'm not really connecting with Ventus's search for . . friends or something. It's not hard to get or anything, but I think Aqua and Terra will provide the better playthroughs.

I'm just excited there two more characters to obsess over in a main story line!

Didnt try to fake anything :p Just a 1.8f shot at 50mm heh.

Palmer_v1

Two questions, if GAf would be so kind as to answer!

#1. How standalone is this game in regards to the overall KH series of games? Meaning, could someone enjoy it without having played all of the others?

#2. Including handhelds, what is the best order to play all the KH games?

Aeana

Palmer_v1 said:

#1. How standalone is this game in regards to the overall KH series of games? Meaning, could someone enjoy it without having played all of the others?

Birth by Sleep is a prequel, so it's fine to play first.

Birth by Sleep > KH1 > Chain of Memories > 179 Days > KH2, I think is the order.

Peff

Palmer_v1 said:

1.- Very. You can definitely enjoy even if you won't get some of the winks to the rest of the games, but the main plot is definitely easy to follow.

2.- KH1-> KH:CoM (or the PS2 remake)-> KH2-> KH 358/2 Days (not really needed, but if you really want to play it after KH2)-> KH: Birth by Sleep -> KH Re:Coded (DS, yet to be released).

EDIT: Aeana's order is the timeline order, but similar to Star Wars it's not always better to play them that way. 358/2 Days spoils some stuff from KH2 and the game itself isn't even that great :lol

duckroll

DMPrince said:
why is the AI so cheap in the command board? then again, they get lucky as rolls >.<

They're probably only "cheap" because you have yet to fully understand the board layout and the various tricks you can exploit on the board to your advantage. Once you play enough of it you'll see that there are certain things you can attempt to do, and with good planning and just a bit of luck, you can really won the AI opponents really hard. It's pretty addictive and satisfying.

Aeana

I applaud the bold storytelling approach of having three storylines
Bold, really?
I mean, it's cool and everything, but I don't know how it's bold, especially since tons of games have done it.

Aesthet1c

I was really on the fence on this one since I kind of hated 358/2 days. However I ended up biting the bullet, and I'm so glad I did. This game is amazing, I'm only like 2 hours in, but I am loving every minute. It feels like a main series KH game.

Aeana

Aesthet1c said:
I was really on the fence on this one since I kind of hated 358/2 days. However I ended up biting the bullet, and I'm so glad I did. This game is amazing, I'm only like 2 hours in, but I am loving every minute. It feels like a main series KH game.
It received pretty much the same attention that a numbered game would have, so I personally would call it a "main series" game. Especially since it has new worlds, whereas CoM and 179 Days do not.

But yeah, it's very fun. I've never been very big on the combat in KH games, but the command deck system makes it a lot more fun for me. That and the Counter Hammer thing, omg. Love it.

yencid

Dechaios said:
Hmm... I chose critical mode right off the bat. Is it gonna be super hard??
Hasnt been that hard so far. Actually the beginning of each story is the hardest part of it.

Jerk

Banned
Dechaios said:
Hmm... I chose critical mode right off the bat. Is it gonna be super hard??

No.

As long as you do not enable NoExp, the game is really easy.

yencid said:
Hasnt been that hard so far. Actually the beginning of each story is the hardest part of it.

Really?

The only difficulties I have noticed have been in the bosses prior to learning their patterns.

Aesthet1c

yencid said:

I'm actually kind of wishing I chose a harder difficulty.. I'm playing on normal mode, and it's kind of a breeze. I really hope it gets harder later on.

Salsa

duckroll said:
Nah. It's just a portable game. You probably don't like portable games.

Hey i love portable gaming :(

Im just saying that the psp didnt have a game that i absolutely needed to play yet. Never missed a Kingdom Hearts, so i guess its time. I know im going to enjoy a lot of other games for the system as well, im not denying that.

Probably gonna go with an old system because homebrew, while im at it.

Aeana

I've had some trouble with the first boss of each character's story, Not having a very large array of commands stinks. Beyond that, it's been very manageable on normal. I wouldn't say it's "easy," though... it's a good balance for me.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Borman said:
Didnt try to fake anything :p Just a 1.8f shot at 50mm heh.

Super low depth of field boy! I'm proud of you, son. I don't know why at first glance it looked like such weird focus.

I'm itching to play. Sitting at work sucks sometimes.

EDIT: Wait, people are playing story lines at the same time? Why didn't I think of that! There's no "New Game+" type option for anything to carry over/unlock if I play them one at a time is there?

And yes, absolutely on Proud mode. I think it's a great balance.

Top Bottom