• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It looks like Black Myth Wukong is not coming to xbox anytime soon. Microsoft sent the exact same statement about the delay

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

kvLJ3KI.jpeg

Oh No Oops GIF by HULU

anthony2690

It could be stellar blade all over again, originally coming to Xbox as well and then Sony paid to keep it off Xbox/the dev accepted a deal from sony to keep it off Xbox. (As it takes two to tango)

I'm still hoping for little devil inside for Xbox, assuming it ever comes out, as it was announced for Xbox during the Kickstarter etc
I hope the sony deal is timed for that, as I'm really interested in that game.

Skifi28

It could be stellar blade all over again, originally coming to Xbox as well and then Sony paid to keep it off Xbox/the dev accepted a deal from sony to keep it off Xbox. (As it takes two to tango)

Very clever wording, you make it sound like the deal was just about keeping it off Xbox and the game would have otherwise released as is. Have you ever thought about working in the Xbox PR department?

Last edited:

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Sony is now trying to hide its 3rd party deals.

Slimy.
It never Phil’s fault. It’s Sony, weather or magnetic storms. But not the fact that Xbox Series is non-existent in Asian markets (new Xboxes won’t even launch in Korea). And clearly not a deadweight in the form of Series S parity clause where it’s easier for Asian dev to skip the platform altogether because ROI after the porting fees are not there.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Let's look at this at a different angle. Making this statement once can be a slip up and it blew up across the media etc.

Making the statement twice is either highlighting the truth in it, or they are absolutely insane.

If only "Journalists" did a decent job nowadays and actually pressured Sony and The Dev for an answer.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Let's look at this at a different angle. Making this statement once can be a slip up and it blew up across the media etc.

Making the statement twice is either highlighting the truth in it, or they are absolutely insane.

If only "Journalists" did a decent job nowadays and actually pressured Sony and The Dev for an answer.
My dude, Wukong skipped every media event by Sony altogether and wasn’t even featured on their channel. You all have a strange idea of partnership, let alone exclusivity.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
More like we need more time than we thought to cut it down acceptably to Series S size.

Reality is they need that Series S build for their GamePass back-end, so that not being up to scratch... what choice does the dev have?

Sitting on finished X/PS5 builds while they create an inferior version for contractual purposes, sounds like a shitty deal to me.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
It never Phil’s fault. It’s Sony, weather or magnetic storms. But not the fact that Xbox Series is non-existent in Asian markets (new Xboxes won’t even launch in Korea). And clearly not a deadweight in the form of Series S parity clause where it’s easier for Asian dev to skip the platform altogether because ROI after the porting fees are not there.

My guess is that the devs realized that it would be a bitch to port Black Myth Wukong to Xbox Series S and it would be too much trouble for not enough gain.

PeteBull

Another "free" timed console exclusive for playstation, where is phil to speed up the process, i remember back in the days xbox even sent their programers/devs to help out with porting to smaller studios, why not do it here, at least with english version, i bet it would help a lot.

Their third party deals are pretty out in the open.

I mean your not gonna see the actual details of the deal but you can see it through marketing.

They are never in the open.

Always hinted at, as being done in this case. Chinese devs are new and probably being extra careful.

Is this game only releasing in Asia?

Also, didn’t developers issued a statement they want everyone to play their games? Or was it that other studio?

Either way, I can’t take a developer seriously that wants to limit its audience and want fewer people to play their games.

anthony2690

Very clever wording, you make it sound like the deal was just about keeping it off Xbox and the game would have otherwise released as is. Have you ever thought about working in the Xbox PR department?
You can look at my post history, I'm not one of those users. 😢

I do have a preference for Xbox, but they certainly do a lot of things I don't like/wind me up in recent years, like killing off tango, what krafton thankfully saved.

And the lack of physical releases for their smaller titles and I'm not even sure their bigger titles will get them anymore, as they are not even listed in the UK atleast ATM, would really wind me up if I gotta go through lrg for all of them going forwards..

And like majority of people here I'm not a game dev, I'm just a fan of video games regardless of platforms and this is a game (wukong) I wouldn't mind playing :/

It's a shame differing opinions here recently seems to make you a shill, even if I am maybe completely wrong about any sort of deal.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Or… and hear me out as it is a far out take this one… ask MS if they are indeed implying that there is a deal blocking the day and date release of the game and if and how they have evidence of it.

I know wild… sure you could take this abstract remark at face value without any proof and pressure Sony and the developer for something MS could be just making up, but that is conventional fanboyism, we need to think outside of the box and surprise the ponies. Imagine if we actually held our religious cult to account? Those blue ponies would be just shocked, we would steal their thunder!

Skifi28

even if I am maybe completely wrong about any sort of deal.

Yes, you are completely wrong. Stellar Blade wasn't even Stellar Blade when it was first announced with an Xbox version and it wasn't just a deal to keep it off Xbox, it was a co-development partnership where the very scope of the game was changed. Naturally, being partly funded by Sony it ended up exclusive.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
My dude, Wukong skipped every media event by Sony altogether and wasn’t even featured on their channel. You all have a strange idea of partnership, let alone exclusivity.

I'm not saying anything concrete. I know as much as you. I'm saying that journalists should investigate this as it has now been said twice.
Or… and hear me out as it is a far out take this one… ask MS if they are indeed implying that there is a deal blocking the day and date release of the game and if and how they have evidence of it.

I know wild… sure you could take this abstract remark at face value without any proof and pressure Sony and the developer for something MS could be just making up, but that is conventional fanboyism, we need to think outside of the box and surprise the ponies. Imagine if we actually held our religious cult to account? Those blue ponies would be just shocked, we would steal their thunder!

Microsoft have commented on another partners contractual agreements. That's how we are here. They can't provide evidence any firrher than that as it would be breaking confidentiality that they have with their partners.

Theres no way I'm believing Microsoft. They ain't even capable of being honest. Doesn't the fact that we already seen this exact scenario tell us the truth? Why would it be different this time? It's most likely that it's the series s, once again causing all these problems.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

It's not Xbox and there is no blacklist to fear.... but it is not that MS deserves less in this concrete case.

According to the developers, they are indeed working closely with the PlayStation games division. The company offers comprehensive support in promoting games in China and abroad. In a way, Sony is the publisher of Black Myth: Wukong and Phantom Blade Zero, the authors note. However, this collaboration imposes no obligations on the teams. The developers decide independently which platforms they will release their games on and, at the moment, the most promising for release are PC and PS5.

I believe there is 50/50 truth and lies on all sides. If MS's words were a total lie, I think Game Science Studio itself would have spoken out.
What is clear is that this "excuse" does not help MS, no matter how real it might be. Among other things, because nothing prevented MS from making the same deal or putting the maximum resources to ensure a suitable XS version on the launch day of a game that was aiming for best-seller.

That there is no "exclusivity clause" does not mean that there is no "incitement" to give priority to a certain version that is favorable to the Studio, which all people knew also had problems and limited resources

-Sony publishes the game in Asia.

-Helps in optimization (although the final result leaves doubts about that)

-Cost for the promotion/marketing of the game.

You do not need to sign an exclusivity clause for obtain the same result. Simply an agreement so that the version of your platform is launched day and time along with the PC version and even more so if you have provided the means and support to the Studio for it.

Imagine in this situation telling Sony that they are also going to delay the PS5 version because it does not have the correct optimization and is not ready to be released because time was dedicated to the XS versions...

In the end, what would be desirable would be greater transparency on the part of the Studio in this regard and even more so when the news or rumor has gone viral.

Last edited:

Skifi28

It's not Xbox and there is no blacklist to fear....

I believe there is 50/50 truth and lies on all sides. If MS's words were a total lie, I think Game Science Studio itself would have spoken out.

That there is no "exclusivity clause" does not mean that there is no "incitement" to give priority to a certain version that is favorable to the Studio, which all people knew also had problems and limited resources

-Sony publishes the game in Asia.

-Helps in optimization (although the final result leaves doubts about that)

-Cost for the promotion/marketing of the game.

You do not need to sign an exclusivity clause for obtain the same result. Simply an agreement so that the version of your platform is launched day and time along with the PC version and even more so if you have provided the means and support to the Studio for it.

Imagine in this situation telling Sony that they are also going to delay the PS5 version because it does not have the correct optimization and is not ready to be released because time was dedicated to the XS versions...
In the end, what would be desirable would be greater transparency on the part of the Studio in this regard and even more so when the news or rumor has gone viral. But....
Probably the best take I've seen in a thread like this.

Top Bottom