• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jane Jensen's Pinkerton Road Kickstarter project [Ended, $435K funded]

I was all set to vote for Moebius, but surprisingly the premise and setting of Anglophile Adventure ended up winning me over.
Plus Evangeline is such a pretty name.
I'll happily play whatever ends up getting made, though.

mclem

One interesting question's crossed my mind: What happens if they make $550k? That's significantly more than the original target, but a bit less than their stretch goal target to make a second project.

Nice though it would be to have all the extra money ploughed into the first game, it sounds like they've already established the budget and plans and throwing new stuff at it won't necessarily gel correctly.

On top of that, I assume that their second game *will* get made, but it'd fall into next years' offering - but a big chunk of the funding will come from this year. That's going to feel a little uncomfortable, particularly because I assume a part of the Pinkerton Road business plan is based around convincing people to stick with them year after year.

Either they *do* offer Game #2 to backers from this year - in which case it makes their enticement for next year's project less, well, enticing, or they *don't*, in which case this year's backers may feel a little cheated.

My gut says: Delay the start of their second Kickstarter until Game #2 is completed - making the second Kickstarter completely distinct from any influence this one would have - and then offer backers a discount on it proportional to how close the fund got to backing it (So $450k would mean a 50% discount; $500k would be 66%, that sort of thing). I think that's fair, if a little convoluted. Next year's Kickstarter would cover Game #3 onwards.

One interesting question's crossed my mind: What happens if they make $550k? That's significantly more than the original target, but a bit less than their stretch goal target to make a second project.

The problem here is that if the funding shows small chances of getting to 600K in the last two days, some people who pledged $50+ may decide to lower their donation, making the second goal unreachable.

It's still going pretty strong, but to reach 600K it has to do ~13K/day. Here's an handmade graph. It's still over the 600K line, but the gap is getting narrower.

G3bRt.jpg

Let's hope that JJ releases more info on the winning adventure, so that word about the KS campaign starts getting around again (I'm not even sure if RPS made a news about this).

~Kinggi~

Banned
What do you mean? Did you play gray matter? Regardless of the criticisms it was not lacking in production value. I don't get your criticism.

On a different note, I actually like the sound of Anglophile Adventure more than I thought I would...

You're right you didnt understand my sentence.

"I mean the games are quality so why not invest in something that is supposed to fund a whole company?"

I say the games are production quality. My criticism is directed toward this amateurish kickstarter campaign.

Famassu

"I mean the games are quality so why not invest in something that is supposed to fund a whole company?"

I say the games are production quality. My criticism is directed toward this amateurish kickstarter campaign.
And what is so amateurish about it? They've got not one, not two, but THREE fully developed concepts they can jump straight into development of once/if they get funded, they've given clear aims for their Kickstarter, they've answered questions fans have and have even given glimpses of the design bible that is one of the rewards... If anything, they've got this all sorted out really nicely and they've got clear plans of how to go forward if they are successful.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Eh, just going by the video content. Didnt come off as professional to me. I mean there is a reason why this is growing so slowly compared to some other names. Maybe they should be putting some of her prior works more at the forefront.

So... am the only one who is crushing on Raleigh? She's so pretty and natural. I hope we see more of her. Based on that video, seems like she would be a good onscreen actress. Not just because of her looks either.

szaromir

Banned
So... am the only one who is crushing on Raleigh?
No, she's cute.

I'm kind of worried it doesn't get nearly as much funding as Wasteland or Shadowrun, you'd think Gabriel Knight/Gray Matter fans would get a bit more involved. Then again, looking at Recommended section on gog.com, there are 9 RPGs in top 10, so it isn't surprising in any way.

They should probably be more creative in their updates and give more interviews, I swear I see Brian Fargo interviews popping up almost daily.

Ah right, I see. I thought the initial video was really well done. But since then there has been a tapering. I attribute the slow progress to people just not caring about adventure games as much, which may or may not be accurate. People may also misconstrue the game ideas as casual adventure games like hidden object or something?

DiscoJer

I'm kind of worried it doesn't get nearly as much funding as Wasteland or Shadowrun, you'd think Gabriel Knight/Gray Matter fans would get a bit more involved. Then again, looking at Recommended section on gog.com, there are 9 RPGs in top 10, so it isn't surprising in any way.

They should probably be more creative in their updates and give more interviews, I swear I see Brian Fargo interviews popping up almost daily.

I think a lot of it is the higher tier rewards aren't being bought (for the most part).

Like for both WL2 and SR, you can get yourself in the game as an NPC at the $1,000 level. Here, it's at the $10,000 level. That can't be helped, since RPGs have a lot more NPCs than adventure games.

But the $1000 reward tier is just a signed piece of art. Not nearly as compelling. So not as many buyers.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
As expected, Moebius wins by a landslide. Gray Matter 2 barely wins over Anglophile Adventure.

Well, as I said before, as long as we get ANY Jane Jensen game I will be pleased.

As expected, Moebius wins by a landslide. Gray Matter 2 barely wins over Anglophile Adventure.

Well, as I said before, as long as we get ANY Jane Jensen game I will be pleased.

I just hope that this does mean that they will make Gray Matter 2 as their second game.

Any Jane Jensen game with Robert Holmes music.

I'm happy with this, but I really wanted Gray Matter 2... I think they will reach the 300k goal, but I see it very hard for the 600k mark. So when will we see Sam and David again?

Larsen B

Even though Moebius was my first choice, I really would like to play Anglophile Adventure. I think I'm in a minority for that though.

There aren't enough games set in the English countryside.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Honestly, as concepts I like all of them equally. I'm just very attached to Sam, and wanted to see more with her.

Even though Moebius was my first choice, I really would like to play Anglophile Adventure. I think I'm in a minority for that though.

There aren't enough games set in the English countryside.

After reading the concept and hearing more about it, I'm really interested in the game as well. At first I didn't know what to expect. I love the ideas behind all three games, and I hope the funding will come and allow them all to happen.

Mr_Zombie

I'm surprised people rated Anglophile Adventure so low. While I still prefer Moebius over it, the concept for that game sounds interesting.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I'm surprised people rated Anglophile Adventure so low. While I still prefer Moebius over it, the concept for that game sounds interesting.

I wanted to give all games the top rating but they wouldn't let me do that. :| I only rated it lower because they forced me to.

Ok, since the first game has been chosen and the campaign needs a lot of visibility, who do we need to ask to have a nice title change?

Jane's starting to get some good press. She is doing an "Ask a Developer" over at GOG.com, and Gamasutra posted a short newsbrief regarding the title vote for the game...

I hope she gets more funding!

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/168626/Backers_fans_choose_next_game_from_Gabriel_Knight_creator.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GamasutraNews+%28Gamasutra+News%29

Newsbrief: Noted game designer Jane Jensen (Gabriel Knight) revealed the first project her new Pinkerton Road studio will take on, after fans who pledged money to her Kickstarter voted on the title.

The Sierra On-Line veteran plans to create several games if her studio raises at least $300,000 on Kickstarter (she's so far received $172,000 in pledges). The first PC game her studio will create is Moebius, a point and click, third-person adventure with a 2D graphic novel look.

Jensen describes it as a metaphysical sci-fi thriller in the vein of TV series Fringe, her own novel Dante's Equation, and the Gabriel Knight series. If her Kickstarter campaign reaches its $300,000 goal, she will release Moebius in March 2013.

If Pinkerton Road raises over $600,000, it will begin working on a second adventure title this year -- possibly one of the other two concepts that backers voted on, Gray Matter II or Anglophile Adventures.

http://www.gog.com/en/news/ask_a_developer_a_question_gabriel_knight/

Ask a developer a question: Gabriel Knight

It’s been a while since we’ve had a special interviewee on GOG.com, but whenever opportunity arises, we love to sit down with people behind classic PC games and ask them some of your questions. Today, you have a chance to delve into the process of creating an amazing adventure game like the gripping, captivating, supernatural detective series Gabriel Knight because we have Jane Jansen, series designer and writer, ready to answer 6 questions from the GOG.com community.

Jane Jansen began her career in the gaming industry in Sierra Online, co-writing and co-designing Police Quest III and King's Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow. Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers was her first solo game and it was a debut worth the Computer Gaming World's "Adventure Game of the Year" title. The Beast Within: A Gabriel Knight Mystery and Gabriel Knight 3: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned followed later and established her position as an acclaimed designer and writer. In 2012, Jane, along with her husband (composer Robert Holmes, who wrote the music for the Gabriel Knight series) formed a new game development studio Pinkerton Road.

What do you want to know about Gabriel Knight series?
Are you interested in the creative process behind creating PC adventure games?
Maybe you want to know more about Jane’s future plans?

Whatever questions you want to ask, now is the time to do so! We’ll select 6 questions to send to Jane along with a few of our own, and the authors of the selected questions will be rewarded with any free classic $5.99 or $9.99 GOG game of their choice. You can submit as many questions as you want until Wednesday, April 18 at 11:59 p.m. EDT.

I'm happy with this, but I really wanted Gray Matter 2... I think they will reach the 300k goal, but I see it very hard for the 600k mark. So when will we see Sam and David again?

I'm hoping this is successful enough to make them do another Kickstarter next year, or maybe even afford to make Gray Matter 2 on their own. They see interest in it so I'm sure we'll see it eventually.

It's on RPS too: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/04/16/jane-jensens-next-game-is-moebius/

And still they come. Jane Jensen’s Kickstarter has been going for over a week now, and is steadily bringing in the cash. She’s after $300,000, and has almost reached $173,000 with a month to go. It seems pretty likely she’ll hit it, but what is it going to be? Well, a cannily released email has finally made me take notice by saying it’s a “spiritual successor” to Gabriel Knight, and it’s called Moebius.

wrowa

Personally, I'm pretty glad that Gray Matter 2 didn't win. It's a great game, but not enough people have played it -- making a sequel to a game even most fans didn't play would only hurt the progress of this kickstarter, I believe.

ArjanN

Personally, I'm pretty glad that Gray Matter 2 didn't win. It's a great game, but not enough people have played it -- making a sequel to a game even most fans didn't play would only hurt the progress of this kickstarter, I believe.

IMO they need to get Gray Matter 1 on Steam before they do a Gray Matter 2.

I don't understand the $50 reward tier. It says that you'll receive "ALL of our studio releases this CSG cycle on PC download". The project description says that if they reach $300K they'll release Moebius and Lola and Lucy’s Big Adventure (kids game). If they reach $600K, they'll also release a second "grown up" game.

So, if you pledge $50, but they only reach $300K does that mean you're essentially paying $35 for a kids game (plus beta test access and digital design bibles)?

I didn't know they were including a kids game in the subscription. That's a bad idea IMO. It makes the offer less enticing for people with no kids, which is a ton.

IMO they need to get Gray Matter 1 on Steam before they do a Gray Matter 2.

I agree with this. But I would also hope that, if they look likely to reach the secondary goal, that they would run another poll between just GM2 and Anglophile adventure. If for no other reason, then to get new backers between now and then involved.

ArjanN

Do you have more info on this?

He's just being sarcastic because Steam seems pretty picky with approving adventure games on their service.

I'm guessing it's mostly a pricepoint thing though, I think a lot of those euro publishers simply want to charge too much.

I don't understand the $50 reward tier. It says that you'll receive "ALL of our studio releases this CSG cycle on PC download". The project description says that if they reach $300K they'll release Moebius and Lola and Lucy’s Big Adventure (kids game). If they reach $600K, they'll also release a second "grown up" game.

So, if you pledge $50, but they only reach $300K does that mean you're essentially paying $35 for a kids game (plus beta test access and digital design bibles)?

As I understand it, the $50 pledge will include at least one other adventure game, probably Gray Matter 2. But if they don´t reach $600K they will probably have to delay the release of that, so that the "season" only includes two full games, instead of three.

So if you pledge $50, you get both Moebius and Gray Matter, and if they reach $600K they will probably have time to do Anglohile Adventure also, so that you get three games + the kid game as a bonus.

Feel free to correct me if I´m wrong.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
He's just being sarcastic because Steam seems pretty picky with approving adventure games on their service.

I'm guessing it's mostly a pricepoint thing though, I think a lot of those euro publishers simply want to charge too much.

Given the stuff that does make Steam, there seems to be a big anti-adventure game bias anyway.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
As I understand it, the $50 pledge will include at least one other adventure game, probably Gray Matter 2. But if they don´t reach $600K they will probably have to delay the release of that, so that the "season" only includes two full games, instead of three.

So if you pledge $50, you get both Moebius and Gray Matter, and if they reach $600K they will probably have time to do Anglohile Adventure also, so that you get three games + the kid game as a bonus.

Feel free to correct me if I´m wrong.

If we meet our Kickstarter goal the season will include:
* Moebius - An all new original adventure game by Jane in the vein of Gabriel Knight and Gray Matter (no pun intended) on PC download, due approximately Mar 2013.

* Lola and Lucy’s Big Adventure (a kid’s e-book/game written by Jane that we’ve funded ourselves to help raise money for the studio. It’s nearly finished and will be released Summer 2012.)

If we raise $600K or more the season will ALSO include:
* A second Jane Jensen adventure game on PC download, due approximately June 2013. We have a white board full of concepts that have been crawling around in Jane’s brain for years. Or it might be Gray Matter II or Anglophile Adventures, the other two concepts in our CSG vote.

I think this implies that if the $600k is not raised then a second game is not included in the season. This worries me since how many people pledged $50 under the impression they'd be getting two full games?

szaromir

Banned
I think this implies that if the $600k is not raised then a second game is not included in the season. This worries me since how many people pledged $50 under the impression they'd be getting two full games?
I imagine it should get there, if they manage publicity right. It's getting roughly ~$10k a day, with Shadowrun and Wasteland out of the way it should be the marquee title that gets the most visibility, so it has potential to pick up pace.

mclem

I imagine it should get there, if they manage publicity right. It's getting roughly ~$10k a day, with Shadowrun and Wasteland out of the way it should be the marquee title that gets the most visibility, so it has potential to pick up pace.

The LSL remake is possibly the biggest spanner in the works - it's interesting that that's got significantly more funding than Jensen's, when Jensen's is actually a *new* game. Either the LSL name is more fondly remembered than the GK name, or - a suspicion I have - comedy adventures are more fondly remembered than serious adventures.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The LSL remake is possibly the biggest spanner in the works - it's interesting that that's got significantly more funding than Jensen's, when Jensen's is actually a *new* game. Either the LSL name is more fondly remembered than the GK name, or - a suspicion I have - comedy adventures are more fondly remembered than serious adventures.
LSL came first, didn't it? And, for better or for worse, people probably know Al Lowe more than Jane Jensen.

Oh, I thought he meant there's an actual story behind it, haha. I hate how picky they are with adventures.

I hate to admit it, but I'm real temped to drop my pledge down to the minimum since it's likely it won't even get near $600K. And none of the rewards entice me enough to pledge high.

Famassu

Oh, I thought he meant there's an actual story behind it, haha. I hate how picky they are with adventures.

I hate to admit it, but I'm real temped to drop my pledge down to the minimum since it's likely it won't even get near $600K. And none of the rewards entice me enough to pledge high.
I'd recommend you keep the 50$ pledge for now. If it seems that it'll never reach 600k when there's only a day or two left (like, it's barely over 300k at that point), THEN change it if you don't feel it's worth it.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Well, like I said before, I feel I promised her that money from the outset. I don't want to take it away from her just because there wasn't enough people who had interest in it. But I have the feeling a TON of people are going to drop from $50 to $16. It will be quite a blow to the total. I'm hoping the Kickstarter will be able to withstand it.

From the kickstarter:
We originally said that if we raised $600K or more, we would be able to fund two games this year. It is looking more likely that we will raise between $300-500K on kickstarter so we are focusing on MOEBIUS.

However, there is a good chance that we will do another game with the studio this year – either if this campaign does better than expected or if we have a game funded by an outside source (a good possibility). If that happens, our FULL CSG MEMBERS ($50 and up) will get a second game this year. However, we have tried to make the goodie tiers a great value with just one game. Our full CSG members will also get (for sure) Lola and Lucy’s Big Adventure, a kid’s e-book Robert and Jane produced this past year, due out summer 2012.

I actually agree with her that the $50 dollar tier is good value.

fov

Last night Jane updated the page with clarification on the tiers (including some new stuff for the $50 pledge level, including the hard to find GK novels as ebooks!) People who are on the fence about pledging but haven't looked at it lately should take another look. (Read the text on the page first, since the tier levels on the right can't be edited.)

Last night Jane updated the page with clarification on the tiers (including some new stuff for the $50 pledge level, including the hard to find GK novels as ebooks!) People who are on the fence about pledging but haven't looked at it lately should take another look. (Read the text on the page first, since the tier levels on the right can't be edited.)

Are you the same fov from Adventure Gamers?

Top Bottom