• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jane the Virgin S2 |OT| Mex Education

I'm team Jane x Petra right now, I think. I want them to be platonic life partners raising the Solano Heirs, since Luisa and Raf are certainly unsuited to having anything good without wrecking it.

I feel like the showrunners dug themselves into a hole with pushing the Virginity stuff, really. It means that they can't resolve Jane's relationship status until they're ready to end or rename the show.

As far as what Blackhead said - there was an episode early on (s1 e4) with a very explicit letter and Jane says something that very strongly hints at her doing "other stuff" ("I'm a virgin, not a saint."), so I'm not sure where you got the impression that she partakes in nothing but kissing & sexting.

Move the show to Virginia and change the show's title to Jane the Virginian.

Finally watched the episode and it was a good one even before the baby stuff, right in the feels. For some reason it never dawned on me that the Rogelio Twitter account was actually created by, I'm guessing the show writers even though it should've been obvious. Always enjoy Jane/Petra bonding.

Jane the Virgin renewed for S3

(and every single other show on the CW's schedule was also renewed today)
original.jpg

"YOU GET A RENEWAL! AND YOU GET A RENEWAL! EVERYBODY GETS A RENEWAL!!!"

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
So what are the chances that Jane and Micahel dont get married?

Michael catches a bullet during his investigation? Someone comes back into Janes life last minute and talks her out of it?

So what are the chances that Jane and Micahel dont get married?

Michael catches a bullet during his investigation? Someone comes back into Janes life last minute and talks her out of it?
I think Michael's going to bite it by the end of the season.

Ever since the pilot, the narrator has been hinting at his untimely demise.

If Petra does leave those babies, I might not be able to cope with the tragedy. She is absolutely my favorite character on this show, as in she has shown the most growth overall. Some backsliding with postpartum was I guess predictable, but I really wanted the twins to be her gestalt into becoming an even better person?

Liked really everything else about this episode. (And the last one, for that matter.) Would have liked to see Rogelio dealing with his PTSD more, but maybe he's too egocentric to get it badly in the first place?

I'm super-tired of "Luisa goes to rehab" as a recurring plot device, I'd like to see her and Susanna again soon. Fingers crossed.

Young (Grandpa) Mateo is Dennis Mencia, by the way. ;)

I hope the ending is a fake out. Desperate Petra is best Petra, but only when she has a partner in crime to play off of. I can't bear to see her struggle with this alone.

By the way, anyone else audibly gasp when the camera zoomed out to reveal the Villanueva "set"?

I love meta moments like that, and it was so perfectly executed.

EDIT: DAMN at Mr. Mencia. Those photoshoots sure get dirtier in Latin America ;-0

wenis

I'm only 15 minutes into the last episode, but I'm struggling to remember when Jane ever compromised with Rafael regarding anything right now... This is coming off of him offering money to pay for a comparable home in Miami. Kinda bugging me.

GUH of course Michael is a piece of shit. duh.

no way Petra leaves. someone will stop her next episode.

TripOpt55

Really liked Petra helping out with the house behind the scenes. Ending with her was sad though. I really love what they have done with the character. Hoping for the best from this situation. And as said in here already, the zoom out on the set was fantastic.

Blackhead

Redarse
I'm only 15 minutes into the last episode, but I'm struggling to remember when Jane ever compromised with Rafael regarding anything right now... This is coming off of him offering money to pay for a comparable home in Miami. Kinda bugging me.

The most recent compromise was that episode about a trust fund for Mateo? Also I recall compromises over watching the baby, over Jane still working at the hotel, Petra issues etc

So twins do run Petra's family after all ! That was a masterly misdirect with 'Petra' getting on the bus and a great ending to a kind of mixed episode with Xo and Rogelio being overly involved with Jane and Michael.

So twins do run Petra's family after all ! That was a masterly misdirect with 'Petra' getting on the bus and a great ending to a kind of mixed episode with Xo and Rogelio being overly involved with Jane and Michael.
Yeah, that was really unexpected but very well done.

I'm just eager to see all the clever camera tricks they'll have to play now. This show never plays these ridiculous situations straight, so I'm sure there's more wackiness behind her twin than her cheery exterior seemed to imply.

Yea that was some ish.
To be fair, Jane was sort of obsessed in the beginning about keeping any and all drama out of her party (to the point that she had assigned seating, wtf).

Some acknowledgement on the part of the writers would've been nice, but it stands to reason she wouldn't want Petra within a 500 meter radius considering the shit that girl gets into
lol.gif

Blackhead

Redarse
AVClub JtV review: "Chapter Thirty-Nine" (B+)
The crime story was present in season one as well, of course, but it felt different there: the show was more high concept in general (the crime balancing with the accidental insemination), and Sin Rostro was a more active presence in the story (and embedded in the show before being revealed). But now that it feels like we’re been dealing with the trailing vestiges of Sin Rostro—now Mutter, but she serves the same basic story function—for almost two full seasons I have to say that I just don’t care about any of it. There’s a utility story wise: it forces Michael and Rafael to interact, it gives Rafael a story now that Michael and Jane are back together (much as it gave Michael a story when Rafael and Jane were together), and it maintains a constant sense of danger which will allow them to eventually kill Michael before he makes it down the aisle (yes, I know I’m going dark here, but tonight’s early vow recital pretty much sealed the deal as far as I’m concerned). But Derek is a complete non-character, and Rafael drunkenly committing insider trading does nothing to speak to the emotional core of these characters or the show as a whole.

On the other hand, the completely non factor of the crime plot lulled me into a false sense of security so I was no longer even thinking about Michael dying by the time of the exchanging the vows. Now I'm dreading the next episode :(

The closer that Jane The Virgin gets to Jane and Michael’s wedding, the more it is being forced to confront the fact that said wedding threatens many of the show’s core relationships.

This isn’t to say that the show would fall apart if the two get married (which, being a telenovela, still remains an open question as far as I’m concerned). Rather, it’s important to acknowledge how much the show’s character dynamics are built around the Villanueva women all living under the same roof, and how much those relationships will change when Jane moves out the house. While Jane’s pregnancy was obviously a major life event, it was one that ultimately only reaffirmed the close bond between the women, and Mateo has fit comfortably into their daily lives and routines. But Jane actually leaving the house creates a crisis for all three women, who have to reevaluate their relationships with one another and with their own selves with their cohabitation coming to an end (previewed, in a way, by them being forced out of their damaged home).

Big changes could come to the show with either the marriage or Michael's death. I trust the writers to handle the challenge but... I wouldn't blame them if they decide to find an easier solution...

wenis

To be fair, Jane was sort of obsessed in the beginning about keeping any and all drama out of her party (to the point that she had assigned seating, wtf).

Some acknowledgement on the part of the writers would've been nice, but it stands to reason she wouldn't want Petra within a 500 meter radius considering the shit that girl gets into
lol.gif

yet her momma still finds her way into things... let's hope this recent development provides some honest growth for Xo.

^^dear lord

Leeness

Finally watched the episode...

Michael is so dead, isn't he. The narrator has always been subtly hinting at it, but early vows? Yikes.

Yeah Michael is probably dead at least until he isn't though they've already reached into that well a few times so maybe they wouldn't go back.

Finally watched the episode...

Michael is so dead, isn't he. The narrator has always been subtly hinting at it, but early vows? Yikes.

#TeamRafael all the way. Shocking twist: Michael dies of boredom. Because he's boring personified.

Yeah, that was really unexpected but very well done.

I'm just eager to see all the clever camera tricks they'll have to play now. This show never plays these ridiculous situations straight, so I'm sure there's more wackiness behind her twin than her cheery exterior seemed to imply.

More Yael Grobglas is never a bad thing!

Scribble

It would make sense for Michael to die. I haven't even played more than an hour of Final Fantasy 7, but he's like er, Jane's Aeris or something.

Is #TeamRafael actually a thing? How can it be, when the two have absolutely no chemistry? :p

Okay this twin character is not working.
The accent is too terrible to accept her as an actual character and not just a narrative device.

For a show so culturally sensitive and keenly attuned in most aspects, it's funny how terrible it's been at portraying its Eastern European side-characters (Ivan, Milos, etc.) like actual people.

By the way, does the show actually expect us to care about Rafael's brother? Or even Rafael at this point? His entire storyline is so out of everyone's orbit, which was the danger with his character once Jane dumped him.

Just get back with Petra already! They're so perfect together
angry.gif

wenis

I'm not going to argue with being given twice the chance to ogle Yael during an episode of Jane despite knowing this twin stuff should be a short arc.

Agreed on Raf's storyline. It's like they're biding time until a space opens up in the main story line once again (Which is sooner rather than later).

Blackhead

Redarse
what about Michael's brother? Is he even going to show up for the wedding?
Rafael's brother is Michael's brother in disguise :O /jk

The accent is too terrible to accept her as an actual character and not just a narrative device.

For a show so culturally sensitive and keenly attuned in most aspects, it's funny how terrible it's been at portraying its Eastern European side-characters (Ivan, Milos, etc.) like actual people.

Between Breaking Bad and this it's no wonder the Czech Republic want to change their name to escape the reputation of meth addicts, gangsters and horrible orphanages. Even with the terrible accent Anezka was adorable and I was very happy they did not try to hide her or pass her off as Petra and everyone knows about her in half an hour.

Salsa Assassin Jane should have her own show.

Razmos

Binge watched this from episode 1 all the way to the most recent episode. It has filled the deep void left behind by Ugly Betty.

Unfortunately the show really dropped in quality in the second season as far as entertainment goes. It's funny and everything but the characters just seem to be floundering with no real interesting storylines. Just feels like there is no real direction.

....#TeamRafael

Binge watched this from episode 1 all the way to the most recent episode. It has filled the deep void left behind by Ugly Betty.

Unfortunately the show really dropped in quality in the second season as far as entertainment goes. It's funny and everything but the characters just seem to be floundering with no real interesting storylines. Just feels like there is no real direction.

....#TeamRafael
The baby being born was the worst thing that could happen because it made it unfeasible for these characters to remain in each others' orbits in meaningful, stakes-filled ways. But it was inevitable.

Still more than a handful of gems this season, though, but little overarching feeling that it's all leading somewhere. The problem with the crime mystery is that whereas Rose sort of wormed her way into all the characters' lives through Luisa and marrying Raf's dad, Mütter is still this shadowy, distant figure that's impossible to care about.

And many of the characters seem to be spinning wheels (both Xiomara and Rogelio desperately need storylines that don't involve the other, and Petra doesn't need an evil twin when she hasn't even resolved her motherhood issues or her relationship with her mom). There's a lot that could be explored, but instead it's rested in this weird place where a lot of stuff and nothing at all is happening at once.

I think Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is going to see similar issues its sophomore season too. The premise is just too novel and out there to still be as engaging as the initial roller coaster.

P.S. And Jane's teaching storylines are the W O R S T.

That was amazing and sad and wonderful and gut-wrenching and hilarious and aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
My favourite little bit was how Rose took off a full head rubber mask and had her perfect hair back instantly.

edit: Oh, hello Mrs. Barlow from Black Sails !

idbHNt3.jpg

FZZ

Banned
I swear to god if they fucking kill Michael I will abandon this show. Fuck Rose, fucking psychopathic piece of shit.

This episode was incredible. Its emotional, comedic, and absolute batshit insane beats were pitch-perfect, and even questionable story threads like Anezka totally paid off (the fact that I was pissed off at Anezka and totally wrecked at Petra's predicament is a testament to Grobglas' acting).

Oh, and #Petrafied was the best hashtag all season.

I can't think of a single flaw. It perfectly capped the season and left just enough without going overboard to keep us all itching for next season.

Rose and Luisa on the run!

Xiomara pregnant with a kid she doesn't want by a man she doesn't love!

Petra's life infiltrated by her evil sister and mother!

Michael dead(?)!

Best season finale since Hannibal S2, and the last few minutes were at least as tense and horrifying
lol.gif

I swear to god if they fucking kill Michael I will abandon this show. Fuck Rose, fucking psychopathic piece of shit.

I'm with you. If Michael is dead I'm done with the show. I doubt he is though, since they didn't show the body. The Rose thing was dumb. How would Luisa not know she was wearing a rubber mask when making out with her? Also wasn't there a face off with Rose and the women cop earlier in the season? That's a jump the shark moment.

Cena:OFace.gif

Michael getting shot was something that could be seen coming from a mile away, they gotta do something to prolong Jane getting some.

Top Bottom