• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| The Assassination of Daniel Bryan by the Coward Vince McMahon

"Bourne has been ready for some time but creative hasn’t come up with anything for him."

Jesus, just team him with Justin Gabriel and have them challenge for the tag titles - maybe feud with the Usos for no.1 contendership? This shit isn't supposed to be this difficult, especially not for a 50+ person strong "creative" team.

G-Fex

I think we got better ideas than creative.

Let's talk about bringing people or changing gimmicks.

Paige?

two words

female Sting

lol @ Bill Demott.

Whoever came up with "Yes" and "No" as a gimmick gets credit for what Daniel Bryan has become, because aside from that, he's just a toned down Bryan Danielson. It's not even like he gets a ton of mic time or has a some deep gimmick the WWE can take credit for, he's just doing him minus some aggression and the European mat wrestling/submission stuff.

Kofi was doing jack shit up until last week, you couldn't just reform Air Boom or something?
I think we got better ideas than creative.

Let's talk about bringing people or changing gimmicks.

Paige?

two words

female Sting

Alexander Rusev will never get over with this "evil foreigner" gimmick. However, if you make him dance...

Xater

"Bourne has been ready for some time but creative hasn’t come up with anything for him."

Jesus, just team him with Justin Gabriel and have them challenge for the tag titles - maybe feud with the Usos for no.1 contendership? This shit isn't supposed to be this difficult, especially not for a 50+ person strong "creative" team.

Or team him up with Tyson Kidd so he can get some actual TV time.

And if course they want to call up Rusev. Totally their kind of guy. He will go nowhere though.

Aiii

So not worth it
Fuck, I missed this.

For Smackdown, they debuted the new Smackdown announce team of JBL, Cole and Miz. You would think if you are tried out on Main Event and you’re really bad, you don’t get promoted to announce on Smackdown, especially when you’ve got Riley and Regal who are so much better in the same organization working NXT.
Who, why? Why? I hope this is wrong.

Showaddy

lol @ Bill Demott.

Whoever came up with "Yes" and "No" as a gimmick gets credit for what Daniel Bryan has become, because aside from that, he's just a toned down Bryan Danielson. It's not even like he gets a ton of mic time or has a some deep gimmick the WWE can take credit for, he's just doing him minus some aggression and the European mat wrestling/submission stuff.

None of the big Indie guys have really changed their gimmicks, I mean Harper's still got the same soiled vest, jeans and hanky that he had from his Indy days. Frankly if they look decent then WWE just don't bother fixing what aint broke.

The worst thing Riley does is when he waxes lyrical about his in-ring career, wistfully reminiscing about that time he wrestled The Miz, or interjecting timely anecdotes about going toe to toe with John Cena, sharing the wealth of insightful knowledge he garnered from his undeniably illustrious career - four years in WWE developmental, three years as a jobber on the main roster. Fuck.

Miz is really, really bad.

Riley is just bland.
Riley somehow out-dudebros Miz. every time, he makes dumb comments that end up borderline sexist and has nothing else to offer. Miz is bad but then again i've only seen Main Event a couple times, while i watch NXT all the time. even then, i'm sure Miz never told a story about how he learned things with Alex Riley
The worst thing Riley does is when he waxes lyrical about his in-ring career, wistfully reminiscing about that time he wrestled The Miz, or interjecting timely anecdotes about going toe to toe with John Cena, sharing the wealth of insightful knowledge he garnered from his undeniably illustrious career - four years in WWE developmental, three years as a jobber on the main roster. Fuck.
also this. however, whenever Regal is with him, you're practically guaranteed at least one instance of Regal utterly burning A-Ri. it's amazing every time

Aiii

So not worth it

They stopped him doing that a few tapings ago though.

Now he's just bland play-by-play.

Neither should do commentary, ever, but if I HAD to make a choice for Smackdown, Miz would not be it.

Xater

All his interaction with Renee Young also sucks. Fuck she is better at commentating than he is. If it was up to me it would be her and Regal on NXT commentary all the time.

They stopped him doing that a few tapings ago though.

Now he's just bland play-by-play.

Neither should do commentary, ever, but if I HAD to make a choice for Smackdown, Miz would not be it.
i was wondering if Riley and Bryon Saxton basically switched spots. basically, yeah.
All his interaction with Renee Young also sucks. Fuck she is better at commentating than he is. If it was up to me it would be her and Regal on NXT commentary all the time.
it always turns into "yo you fuckin this guy, right?" or "i wanna fuck you. lol"

DiscoJon

Banned
Alex Riley you say?

BAFAi.gif

tumblr_m4wosbrP3F1qgpf5zo1_250.gif

Rapstah

Observer:
For people who think you can have access to the entire library, that is not close to the case. Only about 1.5% of the library will be accessible, and very little of it will be old territorial footage. And while they will add new content weekly, they will also remove content.
Rotating content confirmed?

I just read in a spanish wrestling website, that Undertaker HIMSELF wants to face Daniel Bryan at Wrestlemania. Thoughts?
I think it's wise on Undertaker's part to keep picking the best in-ring workers (that won't stiff him to death like Brock) since he's becoming more and more limited. But I don't want to see Bryan wasted on Taker.

Aiii

So not worth it
I think it's wise on Undertaker's part to keep picking the best in-ring workers (that won't stiff him to death like Brock) since he's becoming more and more limited. But I don't want to see Bryan wasted on Taker.

Wasted?

Being in the highest profile match of the year, putting on a stellar performance and getting a rub from Taker is being wasted?

I wish I was getting wasted like that then.

lol @ Bill Demott.

Whoever came up with "Yes" and "No" as a gimmick gets credit for what Daniel Bryan has become, because aside from that, he's just a toned down Bryan Danielson.

i think it's not a secret at all that Bryan shamelessly stole the "Yes" gimmick from Diego Sanchez who was doing it before Bryan was even in the WWE:

2zyexx21.jpg

yes-diego-yes-o.gif

isn't this common knowledge by now?

Observer:

Rotating content confirmed?

I can understand netflix having to rotate content when contracts expire, but WWE own all their footage - what the hell would they need to rotate for? Surely a lot of the appeal is with having a huge library of archival footage you can view at any time, from anywhere? At least, for me it is.

Xater

I can understand netflix having to rotate content when contracts expire, but WWE own all their footage - what the hell would they need to rotate for? Surely a lot of the appeal is with having a huge library of archival footage you can view at any time, from anywhere? At least, for me it is.

Yeah seems weird. I guess their reasoning night be that they don't want anyone to see it all and then do t extend their subscription. The thing is though, how is that even possible with this much content? Also I expect the PPVs to actually be the bigger draw compared to the archive.

Aiii

So not worth it

Because in that case there's no reason to stay subscribed.

"I'll subscribe in a year or so, binge watch everything I want to watch and then let the subscription run out until a few years later when there's some more stuff I'd like to watch."

Obviously they want to make sure that there's something you have to have the network for every month.

Hasney

Probably server capacity. I'd imagine they'd rotate less/keep more on the more subscribers they have.

If they're putting up every Raw, Smackdown and WWE PPV from launch, that's already a fuckton of storage.

EDIT: And what Aiii said.

Because in that case there's no reason to stay subscribed.

It's the exact opposite for me - knowing that stuff will always be available, should I want to watch it again, would be the exact reason I'd stay subscribed. Well, that and cheap PPVs, but I only buy 1 or 2 WWE PPVs each year as it is.

Wasted?

Being in the highest profile match of the year, putting on a stellar performance and getting a rub from Taker is being wasted?

I wish I was getting wasted like that then.
Stahp. It would be a waste for a guy as over as Bryan already is (only the most over person in the entire company). Being in the main event and beating Cena
or Lesnar
clean for the title is higher profile and will do more for his legitimacy than being just another dude penciled in to lose to Taker. And you can be sure that anything that he would get on offense would be attributed on commentary to Undertaker being old and busted.

Aiii

So not worth it
What? Lol. I can guarantee you Punk got a whole lot more prestige out of his Taker match than his WWE Title match with Jericho the year before.

getting a rub from Taker? i can't think of the last time a WM match with Taker actually gave someone a rub.

shit, if you think about it it's a complete stall of your career, it's 3 months wasted since post-match they reset you.

So say the WWE do sign Sting. How do they go about booking him to educate and make him seem worthwhile with the WWE Universe (who for some reason I'm guessing won't really know who Sting is) in time for a feud with The Undertaker?

Hasney

Ooof. And suddenly I care a lot less.

For me, it depends what's rotated. I assume all the WWE stuff will be up as there's no point rotating when you have all the Raws, Smackdowns and PPVs. I'm hoping it's a similar deal with WCW & ECW.

If it's just the older territory stuff that's rotated, that's fine by me. In fact it would be ideal as I wouldn't know where to start and I can just watch what's available at the time, then move onto the new thing.

FyreWulff

So say the WWE do sign Sting. How do they go about booking him to educate and make him seem worthwhile with the WWE Universe (who for some reason I'm guessing won't really know who Sting is) in time for a feud with The Undertaker?

Debut him in a smark town, preferably in old WCW territory

Let the video team do the heavy lifting

edit: and now that I went to check the schedule for RAWs, I see RAW is in my town February 3rd. fuuuuu i need to go

KissVibes

Banned
Unification of the US and IC titles doesn't make sense unless Triple H is finally getting his cruiserweight division.

Three singles tiers, one set of tag titles, and a diva's title is a great set up.

The only change I would have is that winning and holding the US title for 30 days gets you a shot at the IC title, effectively moving you from the low card to mid card. If you hold the IC for at least 60 days you get to challenge for the WWE Heavyweight title, again moving you from the mid card to main event scene.

If you cash in your belt for a shot at the next tier up, tournaments are held to crown a new champion.

--

Also, it super bums me out that the sinking ship of TNA got Eddie Edwards. Woulda loved to see him in NXT and then the main roster. A real shame.

Edit: The fuck do you people expect Bill Demott to say? Nah, the best guys are in the indies? Come on, he's obviously going to put over the company that pays him.

Ithil

Fuck, I missed this.

Who, why? Why? I hope this is wrong.

I've always found it funny that even Meltzer, who generally tries to be objective, can never disguise his contempt for the Miz. Alvarez just openly despises Miz on the other hand.

Striker

Unification of the US and IC titles doesn't make sense unless Triple H is finally getting his cruiserweight division.
Look how often Ambrose defended his title, or even in the very least had a personal feud over it. He's had it since May. They've shown they don't care about it, and just the IC title a bit more. Not to mention all the same guys have been carrying it the past several years. If they wanted to keep another belt on board in the midcard/undercard that isn't the IC, use a hardcore title or light heavyweight/cruiserweight title like they had on Smackdown a decade ago.

Xater

Look how often Ambrose defended his title, or even in the very least had a personal feud over it. He's had it since May. They've shown they don't care about it, and just the IC title a bit more. Not to mention all the same guys have been carrying it the past several years. If they wanted to keep another belt on board in the midcard/undercard that isn't the IC, use a hardcore title or light heavyweight/cruiserweight title like they had on Smackdown a decade ago.

Not only do they not care about that title, it's not really needed. Why does the midcard need two titles to feud over? With the unification you get two single belts with feuds in two different card spots. Then we have the tag and diva title as well. That is more than enough.

I didnt think they would bring Paige in that fast. Bring her in Raw after Mania. Feud with AJ straight out of the gate.

Yes, she should come in talk about how she is the real deal and not AJ. Also one of her goals should be to rename the title back to the Women's Champion.

Top Bottom