• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| The Assassination of Daniel Bryan by the Coward Vince McMahon

I really don't think there'll be any importance to the mid-card belts until they build a proper division for each belt - the main title can work fine with only having one main challenger for a few months, but the other belts need multiple defences against varied competitors, especially if there's no real storyline feud attached to the current champion. Even if they didn't have a properly defined division structure, just the sense that random matches between non-champion mid-carders actually mattered in regards to the title picture, or that a wrestler's form in any way affected their place in the pecking order, would at least help make the belts seem like more than just an accessory for someone to carry for a few months. Also, more tournaments and no.1 contender matches, please.

Entropia

No One Remembers
So say the WWE do sign Sting. How do they go about booking him to educate and make him seem worthwhile with the WWE Universe (who for some reason I'm guessing won't really know who Sting is) in time for a feud with The Undertaker?

Lots and lots and lots of vignettes showing his NWA/WCW stuff. Show him beating Hogan, Nash, taking on the nWo, etc.

I literally just posted yesterday that it was the time of the year for Sting/WWE rumours to start again.

Will be interesting to see what happens now TNA is out of money. I half expect him to retire more than anything. Maybe he signs a Legends deal with WWE and gets a DVD.

Lots and lots and lots of vignettes showing his NWA/WCW stuff. Show him beating Hogan, Nash, taking on the nWo, etc.

kids who don't remember Sting won't remember Nash and the NWO either. it's gonna look like a jobber beating up jobbers.

shit, wait, that WAS Sting vs NWO.

might as well show Surfer Sting beat Vader and Flair.

Batigol

Banned
JmoTS38.gif

Entropia

No One Remembers
They have the perfect way to do this with the Network launch.

Actually one thing I am hoping for in the Network is to be able to filter events by Wrestler.

So say I click "Starrcade '97" it'll list all the wrestlers that appeared or wrestled on the event. Say I click "Sting"... now it shows every event/show that Sting was on sortable by date or show, filter by PPV or weekly television broadcast.

Cagey

Banned
kids who don't remember Sting won't remember Nash and the NWO either. it's gonna look like a jobber beating up jobbers.

shit, wait, that WAS Sting vs NWO.

might as well show Surfer Sting beat Vader and Flair.

I know Sting, Surfer Sting was my first wrestling action figure as a 5 year old, and I barely remember anything of his that I cared about.

Sting v. Taker is inserting a mediocre nostalgia pop into what would otherwise be the main event of Wrestlemania.

Kaladin

Actually one thing I am hoping for in the Network is to be able to filter events by Wrestler.

So say I click "Starrcade '97" it'll list all the wrestlers that appeared or wrestled on the event. Say I click "Sting"... now it shows every event/show that Sting was on sortable by date or show, filter by PPV or weekly television broadcast.

They have something similar with WWE Shop where you can filter merch by wrestler, so I'd assume you'll be able to do that with this.

Carnby

i think it's not a secret at all that Bryan shamelessly stole the "Yes" gimmick from Diego Sanchez who was doing it before Bryan was even in the WWE:

2zyexx21.jpg

yes-diego-yes-o.gif

isn't this common knowledge by now?

Nope. Everyone knows that Bryan stole the gimmick from the N64 Kid.

"A Nintendo 64! YES! YES! YES!"

What? Lol. I can guarantee you Punk got a whole lot more prestige out of his Taker match than his WWE Title match with Jericho the year before.
Yeah, because defending a non-unified title versus Jericho right before Rock/Cena I is totally the same thing as winning the unified title versus Cena or Lesnar in the main event. The only thing that would actually be better than winning the unified title in the main event of 'Mania is beating 'Taker's streak and Bryan won't be the one to do it. The only people I could see beating the Undertaker at 'Mania is the promising young prospect named John Cena.

Aiii

So not worth it
Yeah, because defending a non-unified title versus Jericho right before Rock/Cena I is totally the same thing as winning the unified title versus Cena or Lesnar in the main event. The only thing that would actually be better than winning the unified title in the main event of 'Mania is beating 'Taker's streak and Bryan won't be the one to do it. The only people I could see beating the Undertaker at 'Mania is the promising young prospect named John Cena.

Unified or non-unified means fuck all, because the WHC meant fuck all and thus it's just a WWE Title match as it always was.

Now, he won't face Cena, because for one he already did that and for another they have no reason to do another face vs. face WM bout. So that leaves Lesnar, which is just another part-timer that loses more than he wins at any rate.

The Taker match is the main event of Mania, it's the main attraction and Taker spends most of the match selling for you, in the end Bryan will come up short but get the respect from Taker he deserves, a nice closing shot and there you go. You don't need to win everything to look like a million bucks.

He can win the belt the month after and still be the champion.

Xater

Unified or non-unified means fuck all, because the WHC meant fuck all and thus it's just a WWE Title match as it always was.

Now, he won't face Cena, because for one he already did that and for another they have no reason to do another face vs. face WM bout. So that leaves Lesnar, which is just another part-timer that loses more than he wins at any rate.

The Taker match is the main event of Mania, it's the main attraction and Taker spends most of the match selling for you, in the end Bryan will come up short but get the respect from Taker he deserves, a nice closing shot and there you go. You don't need to win everything to look like a million bucks.

Yep, Take can even make people look great when they lose. Still wonder when they will end the streak, because at some point he has to retire.

Batigol

Banned
I have zero excitement to see a 53 year old out of shape Sting facing a broken down 'Taker. Would be Cena/Rock levels of bad

Sting of '97 would've been amazing. Someone invent a time machine pls

The difference between Diego and Bryan is that Diego did it to fucking cartwheels and other random shit that everyone in a crowd couldn't do

Bryan picked something he could do while striding sideways down the ramp, so he kind of lucked into am easy action for everybody

The difference between Diego and Bryan is that Diego did it to fucking cartwheels and other random shit that everyone in a crowd couldn't do

Bryan picked something he could do while striding sideways down the ramp, so he kind of lucked into am easy action for everybody

oh shit, you just sent me into flashbacks, lol:

yescartwheel.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md_8WJzhsow

Bryan doesn't even have the best "Yes", buried/let's see how this plays out/i'm not watching RAW again.

When there are only two titles for individual male performers (IC and US will be unified soon enough) instead of four, they absolutely mean more.

And what reason does Bryan currently have to go against Taker right now? Either way, they'd need to do some build and versus Cena or Lesnar for the strap with the Authority's approval already has more built in cache than him going against Taker for whatever reason. Beating Lesnar (who has lost to Cena and Triple H one time a piece since returning) still means more than losing to the Undertaker (who beats everyone).

I don't think you know what main event means. Going on third to last isn't being the main event. The only two times when the Taker streak main evented are when the World title was on the line and when it was against Michael's career. The streak alone doesn't justify it being the main event. I never said that you need to win to look great, but beating a top guy clean does more for your career than losing to a top guy that everyone loses to. Especially if we're talking going over Cena or Lesnar in the main event at Mania.

And he can lose to Taker in some other year where he isn't the hottest thing going on the crest of breaking through everyone trying to hold him down. Losing to Taker at WM is not the logical conclusion to that character arc.

Top Bottom