• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| The Assassination of Daniel Bryan by the Coward Vince McMahon

Man God

Non-Canon Member
While we're on the subject of Vince wanting tall, muscular guys, why has "fat" apparently always worked as a substitution for "muscular"? I ccouldn't fall for Mabel as a serious competitor any more than I can believe Hornswoggle is one.

The order goes roughly

Lex Luger Types>HBK (and only HBK)>Giants>Big fat tall blokes>Tall well bit types>short lex luger types....>Tazz types>Cruiserweights

Man God

Non-Canon Member
You can be ripped and yet still extremely fat as odd as it sounds. You obviously won't have a six pack or anything.

Steroids, eating too much, lifting too much. You see those types at the gym from time to time.

elginbio.png

uhaa1.jpg

Aiii

So not worth it
WWE should hire Dan Harmon when Community ends. He is everything WWE wants in their writing staff, but done right. He does humor well, he does meta-jokes based on backstage stuff (but makes them funny) and he does pop-culture references that work.

WWE should hire Dan Harmon when Community ends. He is everything WWE wants in their writing staff, but done right. He does humor well, he does meta-jokes based on backstage stuff (but makes them funny) and he does pop-culture references that work.
That is an awful idea.

jmdajr

According to The Wrestling Observer, WWE has instated classes and seminars for developmental talents to make better financial decisions than past professional wrestlers, and to better prepare them for their post-wrestling lives.

Gotta handle that personal business

Downhome

My wife got me the big RAW 20 DVD set, which shocked me since she isn't really a fan but she supports my interests and even tolerates the wrestling shows being on. I think she secretly enjoys it, or is starting to, since she even has favorites now and seems to care what happens. She enjoys the storylines more than the matches, but she still gets into the matches from time to time.

Anyway, we were sitting there the other night and she suggested I put the first disc in, so when she suggests something like that I jump at it that very second. I put the first disc in and we watched the entire thing. I'm 33 years old and I've been watching wrestling my entire life, including all of RAW so I've seen all of this before but it was amazing to go back to, and it was great seeing my wife's reaction to how it looked in 1993 and then her seeing what HHH and everyone used to look like.

Here are a few things that stood out to me more than everything else. Most of this is obvious details that goes without saying, but still. It all stands out even more so much of the same thing show after show that we get these days where it's hard to tell one guy from the next half the time.

The first was Billy Gunn back then. Yeah, I know, a lot of people hate him these days and they have a pretty low opinion of him as a worker but boy did he stand out in the ring as one half of the Smokin' Gunns. His charisma and intensity was wild back then, and I guess I just didn't really notice it at that time, I don't know, but he really stood out.

Second is the very young and babyface Sean Waltman as "The Kid". Even at that age back in 1993 it was crazy how polished and slick he was in the ring against Hall. Just everything the guy did looked incredible, and the gimmick at that time was amazing. I was into that big time back then. The guy just barely looked like a wrestler of any sort but he had it big time at such a young age.

It's also amazing seeing how much the show evolved from 1993 to 1996. I hate how this set skips three years, I would have loved to see some shows from that era, but still. When you think about it the WWF changed in a HUGE way in just those few short years, and I don't mean just in terms of attendance and stuff like that. I'm talking beyond the obvious growth at the time. If you look at just a few years back then and how insanely huge it changed and then take, lets say from today and go back an entire decade, very little has changed in any way other than stripping away the adult themes. Even that has been as it is today for a while. Especially since they made it more kid friendly it has gone without changing much at all. It's almost as if they are afraid to do anything new or change things up much in any way now and they just coast along.

Then there is the sad aspects of everything. My wife would ask me about this guy or that guy and more often than not it was a sad story. From Heenan's sad issues to Kamala's leg amputation and Jannetty's addictions and failures then of course all of the deaths. It became almost a horrible game we were playing as I was telling her what horrible things have happened to everyone over the years. She was super impressed with HBK, Mark Henry, and Goldust since they seem to have made it to 2014. She also found it hilarious what HHH used to be, and amazed at what he is today.

Oh, speaking of Goldust, I may be crazy but I think he's a better worker today in 2014 than he was even way back then. I mean, I was a fan back then buy holy crap, it's amazing. It's like how Taker improved over the years as well. It's also glaringly obvious how the workrate for the average worker has fallen since back then. Just the small things more than anything else, it was so much smoother and crisper by even the worse workers back then and it seemed to flow so much better.

That may be why guys like Goldust and Taker look so great these days. They still hold on to the technical aspects of the work from then and it just stands out that much more.

Or heck, just ignore the entire workrate deal when comparing the guys from years ago to a lot of those today. Even just the concept of charisma and character, and along with it speaking, seems to be lost on so many (or they are handcuffed). Look at a guy like Sid back then. By God he has charisma oozing out of his ears but he wasn't the best worker ever, but that character, his promos, it was crazy. Almost no one comes close to the insanity of Sid today like he was back then. Even a duo like the Smokin' Guns just gave off a aura that so few do today. Take a midcarder like Miz and compare him to just about anyone back then, it's just not comparable at all and that's just sad. I know, not everything was perfect back then, but there was just a different feel to it all. The effort was there even when it was horrible, usually.

Anyway, I love this set so far and I can't wait to watch more of them. I can't wait for the network. If they have it set up to where you can watch these shows on demand then my mind will be blown. I'd love to be able to go back to watch more complete shows like this. Come on WWE Network, do it right for us all!

Jamie OD

Imagine you are a popular pro wrestler who is one day away from competing in a major match at a stadium in front of what will definitely be the largest crowd you will see all year. The day before that, you are on a show for a smaller company celebrating the new year. You are in a 10-Man Tag Elimination match with Battle Royal rules and one of your opponents is a blow up doll filled with stuffing. You can take it easy and do a comedy spot with the doll to eliminate yourself and not risk getting hurt before the big show tomorrow. That is unless your name is Kota Ibushi. If you're Ibushi, you think the best way to get eliminated is to make the doll give him a Reverse Huracanrana out of the ring!

kotahiko_zpsc25e138c.png

The man is crazy.

Ibushi is ridiculous, but I've seen him safely pull off that awesome Asai moonsault spot so many times I stopped worrying whether he's going to kill himself ages ago.

He's like the anti-Jack Evans.

somedevil

Punk used this in a promo Jan 7 last year:

Punk says it doesn't matter if you're the best this or the best that in WWE, there is a glass ceiling and nobody is allowed to break it. Punk says that's the simple story of WWE - the more popular you are, the more money you make. Punk says that's why Cena gets title shots. Punk says that's why a serious grappler like Daniel Bryan puts a smile on his face and uses catchphrases. That's why a 400lb. monster named Brodus Clay gets in the ring to shuck and jive. That's why an invisible kid Little Jimmy is more of a fit on RAW than Tyson Kidd

I find this funny because now Brodus Clay doesn't dance anymore, Little Jimmy is gone and it seems now Daniel Bryan is no longer smiling and going to put away the catchphrases for a while.

strobogo

Banned
3rd surgery was a success. StroMomo is just a slow healer. I did look at the wound for the first time today. It's fucking gnarly. Worse than anything Bootaaay has posted.

tm24

Ibushi is ridiculous, but I've seen him safely pull off that awesome Asai moonsault spot so many times I stopped worrying whether he's going to kill himself ages ago.

He's like the anti-Jack Evans.

To be fair to Jack Evans, he's much safer nowadays in AAA

To be fair to Jack Evans, he's much safer nowadays in AAA

Yeah, from what I've seen he's pretty silky smooth - back in the day though, it seemed like an ROH show didn't go by without Evans trying to kill himself somehow. That double rotation moonsault off the scramble cage....JEEEZUSS!!!!

3rd surgery was a success. StroMomo is just a slow healer. I did look at the wound for the first time today. It's fucking gnarly. Worse than anything Bootaaay has posted.

Glad to hear everything went well :)

strobogo

Banned
Shit was fucking gross, guys. It was like a silver dollar sized straight up hole that I could see the chest muscles and shit. Plus the fat and infected tissue.

This was pretty accurate to my response:

ibu6O3rk3k4EJw.gif

Then, JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZUUUUUUUUUUUUUS

Verendus

Banned
What I love was taken away from me. This business, what I love doing, getting in that ring, was taken away from me before I was ready for it to be taken away.

For those who purchased Wresltemania tickets, do I have to go to the stadium to purchase them, or can I purchase them online like any other ticket?

For those who purchased Wresltemania tickets, do I have to go to the stadium to purchase them, or can I purchase them online like any other ticket?

Ticketmaster. Raw tickets are on sale as well, but I'm not sure if any tickets are still available for it.

Edit: if you live in the area, I'm sure you can buy tickets in advance at the stadium and have much better control over where you sit too.

Ticketmaster. Raw tickets are on sale as well, but I'm not sure if any tickets are still available for it.
Nice! I'm talking about tickets for next year. I'll make sure to get tickets for both Wrestlemania and Raw.

Edit: if you live in the area, I'm sure you can buy tickets in advance at the stadium and have much better control over where you sit too.
Even better! Now to play the waiting game.

simples

Banned
I think a match with Bork would finally be the match that Kurt gets to die in the ring on.

Lesnar clears the ring points at the mania sign, hes going there to take on anyone
30th entrance
lights go out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q41UvkovDTQ
red, white and blue pyro
does a shooting star to kill bork and toss him over, "thats for breaking my neck" he says
picks the mic
says i already had titles and medals

This time at mania, I want the Streak

VCM4J3Q.png

His scream is amazing, he needs to do it every time.

Lesnar's bird call was quite possibly the highlight of Raw, I second this.

In a better world the HHH vs Lesnar match at WM last year would have had Trips Troll Yell vs Lesnar CAW right there in the ring.

Top Bottom