• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| The Assassination of Daniel Bryan by the Coward Vince McMahon

Direct TV Response written by a Teenager:

You knew cable companies would be pissed when they are losing out on 30 million dollars a year. What did you expect? Most cable companies will probably drop the ppvs. They've killed their own ppv business with this. They better hope this network works for them. By the way Vince is meeting with talent before Raw to discuss how this affects their ppv bonuses.

UberTag

With more and more people cutting the cable and moving to the internet, PPV is a dying business anyways. WWE are smart to be on the forefront of this and not wait until it's dead to move on to a new business model.
Although there's some room to quibble about the $60/shot pricing model, everything else about this venture has been incredibly smart.
Which, when you think of where the WWE Network was over a year ago, is a remarkable turnaround.

somedevil

You knew cable companies would be pissed when they are losing out on 30 million dollars a year. What did you expect? Most cable companies will probably drop the ppvs. They've killed their own ppv business with this. They better hope this network works for them. By the way Vince is meeting with talent before Raw to discuss how this affects their ppv bonuses.

Your like the Debbie downer of the network. Also, only direct tv has made a response and all the rest have said nothing. So I don't know how you can say most will drop when the only company that made a response is one that gouges customers and has a history with Vince.

Your like the Debbie downer of the network. Also, only direct tv has made a response and all the rest have said nothing. So I don't know how you can say most will drop when the only company that made a response is one that gouges customers and has a history with Vince.

Seriously, that shit is annoying, especially when Bobo is being presented with information as to why they're able to do it (huge boost in TV rights) and completely ignoring it

The latest email from Gabe Sapolsky has a bit on his reaction to the WWE Network. I edited out the plugs for this weekend's Evolve events.

This is the attitude that everyone should have. Not whine and cry about things, just accept the fact that it's changing, and so do you.

Edit: Yeah I double posted, but I'm glorious so it's ok

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Concerning the WWE Network, do you guys believe they have created a situation where they can't go back again? Lets say they do this and it does just "ok" for the first year, time goes by, does just ok, but there is no growth like they require. Lets say it gets to the point where they start to consider ditching the entire thing and desire to go back to the way things were before it. After giving so much, at such a low price, could they ever do a reversal and succesfully charge people $50+ for a three hour PPV again?

No, they killed wrestling ppvs forever with this.

Outside of large events the sales just were not here domestically anyways but tons of people were streaming it. At this price though? Tons of people will jump on as ten bucks a month is a bargain compared to watching a shitty ad filled stream that may or may not crap out at any second.

The real thing to be worried about as a fan is the distinct possibility that outside of a few major cards they make PPVs just glorified episodes of RAW. Some people say they're already there but I mean more like the TNA "free PPVs" level of well shit, this is just a rebranded IMPACT.

Penguin

There are still gonna be people who prefer traditional means.
Maybe not a huge market, but still enough

Though has a fair point about falling buyrates

FyreWulff

I don't think the cable companies should care too much. Their PPV systems are all digital now, so they don't need to come hook you up or anything. You just buy it and they send it down the wire to the various PPV channels they have.

DirectTV would be more miffed because they have limited bandwidth on their satellites. It's essentially always "in use" so they have to make more decisions on who to carry.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
They're probably going to double their international ppv "buyrate" with this in the next 3 to 4 years if they keep a similar pricing structure and everyone goes smoothly (i.e. the network doesn't suck and the product doesn't completely fall off the cliff)

GManDH

They're probably going to double their international ppv "buyrate" with this in the next 3 to 4 years if they keep a similar pricing structure and everyone goes smoothly (i.e. the network doesn't suck and the product doesn't completely fall off the cliff)

i can honestly see WWE have 10M+ subs in the next 5 years. I hope they use this new money to buy more lost wrestling libraries.

Penguin

Don't know if in bad taste, but saw this on Twitter and thought was funny

BdmSBz2IcAA-K68.jpg:large

Rapstah

I bet the Batista/ADR stuff is a semi-work with how they're apparently set up to feud for a short while.

I also bet that NXT suddenly getting dubbed pops is because they're moving to the Network and switched production staff.

B PPV's get about 100K buys in the US?

so at $60 up front, it's like Vince is getting everyone who doesn't buy any of those B PPV's to buy the equivalent of 2 PPV's a year.

It's basically a great way to reduce people streaming the PPV's, for 10 bucks a month you can watch the PPV's on your TV in high resolution, instead of some choppy stream that might cut out.

I think the PPV's will still be a big deal too. (Supposedly) Better matches, no commercial interruption is the highlight of a PPV, I don't see that going away.

The real thing to be worried about as a fan is the distinct possibility that outside of a few major cards they make PPVs just glorified episodes of RAW. Some people say they're already there but I mean more like the TNA "free PPVs" level of well shit, this is just a rebranded IMPACT.

If anything, I'd expect the PPVs to be booked much better due to the fact that they're now selling a subscription instead of a ppv each month. PPVs were easily passable for a lot of people if the card was weak. There will always be people that they need to sell the subscription to; whether it's a new subscriber or someone in their 6 month of the commitment. With a bunch of people subscribing within the first 2 months of the launch, I'd expect Summerslam to be loaded or at least set up a major angle that'll entice people to keep their subscription.

DirecTV is idiots.

Oh, you don't want to sell PPVs through cable/sat anymore? Well, how about we keep you from selling PPVs through cable/sat? How do you like that, Vince?

Also:
tumblr_mz73v4RqkN1s8f90ko1_500.png

Kaladin

I'm actually curious as to what the buy rates for the Royal Rumble and Elimination Chamber PPVs will be considering WWE is still selling them at the current PPV rates and fans know the replay will likely be on the Network at launch.

Downhome

Have any of you guys tried selling off any of your VHS/DVD/Blu-ray titles since they announced all of this?

I stuck my DVD Wrestlemania Anthology set on Amazon and it sold right away.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm actually curious as to what the buy rates for the Royal Rumble and Elimination Chamber PPVs will be considering WWE is still selling them at the current PPV rates and fans know the replay will likely be on the Network at launch.

Rumble will be fine because of Bork and the proximity of the announcement.

EC though, the day before? Might be super duper low domestically.

somedevil

B PPV's get about 100K buys in the US?

so at $60 up front, it's like Vince is getting everyone who doesn't buy any of those B PPV's to buy the equivalent of 2 PPV's a year.

It's basically a great way to reduce people streaming the PPV's, for 10 bucks a month you can watch the PPV's on your TV in high resolution, instead of some choppy stream that might cut out.

I think the PPV's will still be a big deal too. (Supposedly) Better matches, no commercial interruption is the highlight of a PPV, I don't see that going away.

For 2013 Domestic:

Elimination Chamber: 160,000
Extreme Rules: 181,000
Payback: 102,000
Money in Bank: 146,000
Night of Champions: 92,000
Battleground: 87,000
Hell In Cell: 121,000

Yeah. I'm sure the MSOs are crazy pissed about Vince taking his PPVs online at that pricing. Considering the fact that they were getting 60% of the money from every PPV sold, for doing...not a whole hell of a lot...that's gotta sting.

I guess Vince never forgot how the MSOs treated him the last time he asked for a bigger slice and they basically laughed him out of the room. Vince doesn't forget shit like that. LOL.

I'm interested to see if this gives Uncle Dana more leverage to negotiate a better rate for the Ultimate.

izakq

So with the WWE Network details, didn't Comcast/NBCUniversal pretty much got a Stunner and a Tombstone at the same time? I mean, their PPV model is going to be hit hard and the WWE is going forward in upping the price on TV rights next month.

jred2k

I wonder how much they are going to be willing to pull back the curtain with the network. It would be awesome if we could get either a show or a live feed once a week of the training done at NXT. Watching Norman Smiley teach people to wrestle would be cool, but they'd probably get shit because it would look like they're showing people how to perform those moves at home.

Xater

I wonder how much they are going to be willing to pull back the curtain with the network. It would be awesome if we could get either a show or a live feed once a week of the training done at NXT. Watching Norman Smiley teach people to wrestle would be cool, but they'd probably get shit because it would look like they're showing people how to perform those moves at home.

Man I would love to see more Bill DeMott shitting on newbies. That would be such a great reality show.

dream

Fuck, LP, I would pay sixty dollars to watch Dos Caras Jr. Vs Big Dave "Brass Body" Bautista in a shoot fight.

I'd like to see a proper shootfighter character in the WWE. There's a ton on the indies (they all suck), but someone like Shibata? Fuck. I would pay BIG money to see Shibata vs Miz.

Just imagine Miz's face right here;

ijJjBHwocvk5V.gif

Xater

I'd like to see a proper shootfighter character in the WWE. There's a ton on the indies (they all suck), but someone like Shibata? Fuck. I would pay BIG money to see Shibata vs Miz.

ijJjBHwocvk5V.gif

I think you should do like a collection of the best Shibata matches. Your gifs make me curious.

XenoRaven

ijJjBHwocvk5V.gif
Dude would be dolling out concussions left and right. Dolph would be knocked unconscious by a handshake.

I think you should do like a collection of the best Shibata matches. Your gifs make me curious.

Bang;

Katyusori Shibata vs Masahiro Chono - (NJPW 07/08/04)
Katsuyori Shibata vs Hiroshi Tanahashi - (NJPW 07/15/04)
Katsuyori Shibata vs Shinsuke Nakamura - (NJPW 08/08/04)
Katsuyori Shibata vs Genichiro Tenryu - (NJPW 10/09/04)
Katsuyori Shibata vs Toshiaki Kawada - (NJPW 11/03/04)
Katsuyori Shibata vs Jun Akiyama - (W-1 04/08/05)
Katsuyori Shibata vs Hiroshi Tanahashi - (NJPW 01/04/06)
Katsuyori Shibata vs Katsuhiko Nakajima - (BML 04/19/06)
Katsuyori Shibata vs Fujita 'Jr' Hayato - (M-Pro 12/17/06)
Katsuyori Shibata vs Hirooki Goto - (NJPW 05/03/13)
Katsuyori Shibata vs Hirooki Goto - (NJPW 06/22/13)
Katsuyori Shibata vs Hirooki Goto - (NJPW 07/20/13)
Katsuyori Shibata vs Tomohiro Ishii - (NJPW 08/04/13)
Katsuyori Shibata vs Hirooki Goto - (NJPW 01/04/14)

I'd absolutely recommend the Goto vs Shibata series - also, Ishii vs Shibata was many people's match of the year. As for the older ones, you really can't go wrong with the Tenryu, Kawada and Akiyama matches. Brutal stuff.

yes!

not even a striker based guy, but a shoot-grappler like Volk or Funaki.

speaking of which, another one for you:

Volk Han vs Yoshihisa Yamamoto - Fightning Network Rings, 1995
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bz3uUfIttWg

look at the lightning pace. imagine Kidd and Bryan having a match like this one on WWE TV.

Awesome, awesome - thanks man, I'll add this to the list.

Sabucin

If all the PPV's will be broadcasted by WWE Network... Are they still be called "Pay-Per-Views"?
Because technically, we are not paying for watching a PPV, we are subscribed to a total package of content.

Top Bottom