• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

Kurita

So I just got back from two weeks in Japan, and it's ridiculous how the Tower Records stores all seem to be better stocked than even indie record stores here. Also, hilarious being the one person standing in line to NOT buy the new AKB48 single on Tuesday night. Before I figured out what was going on I was trying to figure out why the line was suddenly three times longer than any other Tower line I'd been in. Grainy phone haul pic:

I didn't even know OK?NO!! had a new album coming out so that was great. Also, the random Saint Etienne album was an impulse Japanese-release-of-British-album buy.

Including the game soundtracks I also picked up, I think I ended up dumping $400+ on CDs. When Japanese record stores die, it'll be the end of an era for sure.
Tower Records is the shit. I can spend hours at Shibuya's store. It's a big store but it really feels "warm", I love that the staff takes time to write recommendations, do nice displays...
And you often get bonus stuff when you buy CDs!

Best news of the day, Frederic announced their second major mini-album, OWARASE NIGHT! May 6th, save the date.
uhC5kuy.jpg
http://natalie.mu/music/news/140081

ONE OK ROCK finally announced the release date of their new live DVD/BR, it'll be out on April 29.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6KbORCctQU
Managed to watch the TV version and it was a preeetty epic show. Can't wait for the full version.

Tower Records is the shit. I can spend hours at Shibuya's store. It's a big store but it really feels "warm", I love that the staff takes time to write recommendations, do nice displays...
And you often get bonus stuff when you buy CDs!

Best news of the day, Frederic announced their second major mini-album, OWARASE NIGHT! May 6th, save the date.

http://natalie.mu/music/news/140081

ONE OK ROCK finally announced the release date of their new live DVD/BR, it'll be out on April 29.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6KbORCctQU
Managed to watch the TV version and it was a preeetty epic show. Can't wait for the full version.
Awesome, never watched the TV version.

GutsOfThor

So I just got back from two weeks in Japan, and it's ridiculous how the Tower Records stores all seem to be better stocked than even indie record stores here. Also, hilarious being the one person standing in line to NOT buy the new AKB48 single on Tuesday night. Before I figured out what was going on I was trying to figure out why the line was suddenly three times longer than any other Tower line I'd been in. Grainy phone haul pic:

I didn't even know OK?NO!! had a new album coming out so that was great. Also, the random Saint Etienne album was an impulse Japanese-release-of-British-album buy.

Including the game soundtracks I also picked up, I think I ended up dumping $400+ on CDs. When Japanese record stores die, it'll be the end of an era for sure.

Is that Tentenko cd the version with this arrangement?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIkd3H4tEf4&index=33&list=FLEbCIk_8Is4xO66tDfQSqIQ

that's just the standard song and it's on both versions. I have the same version that was posted there and the track listing is

1. Good Bye, Good Girl
2. Hot Pants
3. Good Bye, Good Girl (pellycolo remix)

Hot Pants is kind of underwhelming.

e: now that I'm reading the back of the single, I guess GBGG wasn't actually self-produced, it was by "papico" with lyrics by Ten Tenko

that's just the standard song and it's on both versions. I have the same version that was posted there and the track listing is

1. Good Bye, Good Girl
2. Hot Pants
3. Good Bye, Good Girl (pellycolo remix)

Hot Pants is kind of underwhelming.

e: now that I'm reading the back of the single, I guess GBGG wasn't actually self-produced, it was by "papico" with lyrics by Ten Tenko

Just listening to it now, Hot Pants is indeed underwhelming as heck.

This is the pellycolo mix of Good Bye, Good Girl. I was trying to decide earlier if this was a legit video posted specifically to DailyMotion to play up its bootleg aesthetic, which would be kind of great.

ゆるめるモ! have a new single coming out 3/25, 「Hamidasumo!」. No info on what's actually on it though.

They also have a live dvd coming out this upcoming week which is only about ¥2500, incredibly. cost me $28 after shipping to the US.

e: they just updated their website. 3 new songs, title track is by someone in POLYSICS, instrumental version, and a bonus track that corresponds with which member's cover you pick

also that live dvd has 28 songs...

The new Suiyoubi no Campanella video is out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_gPdGgbrNg

Really good. Pretty different sound for them, or should I say her, as the usual producer isn't involved in this one. The song is produced by all the same people who do Wata Megumi's songs. The single is out April 15.

this is obscenely good. nearly unrecognizable though.

Kind of begs the question of what actually defines Suiyobi no Campanella? just KOM_I?

Slowdive

Banned
.Kind of begs the question of what actually defines Suiyobi no Campanella? just KOM_I?

She's always said Hidefumi and Dir.f are members, and that she's the face of the group. But neither of them have credits on the song or MV so I dunno. Will be interesting to see who the other two songs are produced by.

tfw your latest DHL tracking status is "With delivery courier" at 11AM and it doesn't arrive for the rest of your work day... They tried to deliver at 630PM. Jerks!

Darksol

I love Radwimps and Miyavi when he was still doing his sort of punk/funk/alt rock thing and not the generic pop he does today. Any suggestions of who else I should look into? Not interested in Bump of Chicken.

Slowdive

Banned
The other two tracks on the new Suiyoubi no Campanella are produced by Hidefumi and Oorutaichi. Suiyoubi no Campanella demo6 is also releasing on the same day with one song. Seems like having different producers is a one-off thing.

Larsa

Oh cool. I just listened to a Oorutaichi album for the first time a few days ago, it was pretty wild.
Napoleon is really good and very interesting in how different it is, but it made me appreciate how well KOM_I works with Hidefumi's style.

kasane

I love Radwimps and Miyavi when he was still doing his sort of punk/funk/alt rock thing and not the generic pop he does today. Any suggestions of who else I should look into? Not interested in Bump of Chicken.

lol this the ones i listen to these days are

radwimps
alexandros
bump of chicken
and super beaver

all day everyday.

and i was gonna ask where you guys get your music but turns out in itunes as well

Peru

Reminder, this is on in 30 mins

For your calendars:
Studio Live Show with 5 drummers at 8:00pm on March 8 (*Japan Time) !!
At this studio live show, new songs from the coming 2nd album (released on March 18) will be performed with 5 drummers who participated in the recording of the album: BOBO, Munenori Senju, Toshiki Hata (ex. Tokyo Incident), Miyoko Yamaguchi (detroit 7), Kosuke Wakiyama (tabaccojuice)

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/bakuretsu-records-channel.

Darksol

lol this the ones i listen to these days are

radwimps
alexandros
bump of chicken
and super beaver

all day everyday.

and i was gonna ask where you guys get your music but turns out in itunes as well

I'll give Alexandros and Super Beaver a try then :)

Kurita

You might find something you like
KANA-BOON
the HIATUS
ELLEGARDEN
ONE OK ROCK
Straightener
Nothing's Carved In Stone
KEYTALK
9mm Parabellum Bullet
androp
[Alexandros]
ART-SCHOOL
CreepHyp
The Mirraz
Frederic
THE ORAL CIGARETTES
Kyuso Nekokami
Hitorie
Czecho No Republic
Gesu no Kiwami Otome
go!go!vanillas
SAKANAMON
cinema staff
Kuso Iinkai
Sakanaction
Good Morning America
Yonezu Kenshi
indigo la End
GOOD ON THE REEL

Darksol

くりたさん、かんそくさん、本当にありがとうございました!

From what you've shared, I like at least 3/4 of these and love about half of them. It looks like I've got some serious discographies to explore (not to mention a lot of money to blow next time I'm in Tower Records).

I also really enjoyed the album 大発見 by 東京事変 (Daihakken by Tokyo Jihen) though I heard they disbanded and I haven't checked out anything else of theirs yet.

A common theme I enjoy in several of the bands you two shared is the sort of blending and bleeding of genres. I love it when I can hear jazz, pop, metal, funk, punk, rap, classical or ska influences in an otherwise "rock" song :)

Seriously, you two just made my day, thank you :)

Kurita

くりたさん、かんそくさん、本当にありがとうございました!

From what you've shared, I like at least 3/4 of these and love about half of them. It looks like I've got some serious discographies to explore (not to mention a lot of money to blow next time I'm in Tower Records).

I also really enjoyed the album 大発見 by 東京事変 (Daihakken by Tokyo Jihen) though I heard they disbanded and I haven't checked out anything else of theirs yet.

A common theme I enjoy in several of the bands you two shared is the sort of blending and bleeding of genres. I love it when I can hear jazz, pop, metal, funk, punk, rap, classical or ska influences in an otherwise "rock" song :)

Seriously, you two just made my day, thank you :)

You're very welcome.
Out of curiosity, what did you enjoy the most?

Darksol

You're very welcome.
Out of curiosity, what did you enjoy the most?

That's going to take more than a single listen at work to determine :p

On first impression, I enjoyed these five the most (in no particular order):

Ellegarden
Alexandros
Hitorie
Gesu no Kiwami Otome
Tricot

Then I had a ten way tie for second, haha.

I'll need to hear more of everyone's work before I can form an honest opinion though. That'll take me a few weeks :eek:

Kurita

That's going to take more than a single listen at work to determine :p

On first impression, I enjoyed these five the most (in no particular order):

Ellegarden
Alexandros
Hitorie
Gesu no Kiwami Otome
Tricot

Then I had a ten way tie for second, haha.

I'll need to hear more of everyone's work before I can form an honest opinion though. That'll take me a few weeks :eek:

Ellegarden is my favorite band ever so I'm glad you like them :) It's the same vocalist as the HIATUS (Ellegarden have been inactive since 2008)

Darksol

Ellegarden is my favorite band ever so I'm glad you like them :) It's the same vocalist as the HIATUS (Ellegarden have been inactive since 2008)

Sounds great. I've certainly heard good things about them before. I suspect I'll really enjoy them, so I'm excited.

I couldn't play Straightener or 9mm Parabellum Bullet (video was not available in my country) but I'll check them out on my own :)

reading over some of the marketing materials is amusing. a low-carb, scented, "relaxation" beer aimed at women.

That got a chuckle out of me too.

I guess Dempagumi.inc just finished working on a video for their collaboration with Shoko Nakagawa, it's going to be the theme song for 「PUNCH LINE!」(anime)

they're spoiling me with how much stuff they're putting out.

-------------

in more Ten Tenko news, she's putting out a vhs tape (lol) and the new issue of her zine has a CD-R with 8 songs.

付属CD-R『独裁』収録曲

1 無題
2 無題
3 FF
4 落書き無用
5 前ならえ
6 ポケモン
7 i wash my head
8 独裁

BiSH unveiled their members. Clockwise from lower left: エンド、ユカコラブデラックス、セントチヒロ・チッチ、モモコグミカンパニー、ハグ・ミィ。

End(o?), Yukako Love Deluxe, Sentochihiro ・ Chitchi, Momoko Gumi (Gummy?) Company, Hug ・Mii.

First album 「Brand-new idol SHiT」out 5/27, produced by Matsukuma Kenta

...cautiously optimistic about this one. BiS were consistently awesome and the only thing different here is the girls themselves.

Momoko Gummy Company is some next-level dumbass idol naming

e: beaten to the punch but that's what I get for trying to decode that nightmare of katakana

The new Suiyoubi no Campanella video is out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_gPdGgbrNg

Really good. Pretty different sound for them, or should I say her, as the usual producer isn't involved in this one. The song is produced by all the same people who do Wata Megumi's songs. The single is out April 15.

Oh, that explains the Tokyo Recordings mention in the video description, maybe? Anyways, it's neat, if not what I normally expect from the band. Not nearly as distinctive as their usual stuff but I might like it more regardless? Not sure.

Kurita

Didn't like Suiyobi no Campanella that much at first but I think I'm getting used to the girl's voice, and I like the instrumentals a lot.
And they're friends with a lot of bands I love (like Kyuso Nekokami) so knowing that helps haha
Also... I'm a bit disturbed when I watched their videos cause she kinda looks like Kankaku Piero's vocalist.

Anyway, Uminote announced the release of a new full album in May! It's been two years since the last one so I'm preeeeeeetty hyped.
Their new picture is also pretty cool.

A couple of songs in case you don't know them.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CutNEe4DXM
www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OaMLbvMv24
www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzuzVY7SAzQ

Peru

First album 「Brand-new idol SHiT」out 5/27, produced by Matsukuma Kenta

...cautiously optimistic about this one. BiS were consistently awesome and the only thing different here is the girls themselves.

Well.. I'm curious for sure, and I'll be paying attention, but 'more of the same' doesn't really work with BiS as a template - BiS constantly surprised us, from start to finish, in an increasingly diverse idol scene they still managed to take left turns all the way through to the end. That's part of the reason why it felt so poignant that they quit on top. If this stuff is just going to copy BiS then it's worthless.

Top Bottom