• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

Kurita

I bought they're OMG album on a whim from iTunes and loved it.
One of my favorite releases of 2015 :)
Hope the new album will be as good. 2 days left!

So much good stuff coming on Wednesday
-the HIATUS's new album
-UNISON SQUARE GARDEN's new album
-KEYTALK's indies compilation
-Bentham's new album
-Shout it Out's major debut single
-New Shinsei Kamattechan
-New singles by Suchmos, Scenarioart, Good On The Reel and Akairo no Glitter

One of my favorite releases of 2015 :)
Hope the new album will be as good. 2 days left!

So much good stuff coming on Wednesday
-the HIATUS's new album
-UNISON SQUARE GARDEN's new album
-KEYTALK's indies compilation
-Bentham's new album
-Shout it Out's major debut single
-New Shinsei Kamattechan
-New singles by Suchmos, Scenarioart, Good On The Reel and Akairo no Glitter
Awe man! So much good stuff!!!

I'm liking the beats to this. Going to have to check them out. The music videos were very funky.

You should see Peru's 8000 words on BoA.

I feel like I have, although if there's a link to read again I would love that.

--

I don't think anyone posted about Miwa's most recent single - "Princess / Shanlanlan"

miwa_-_Princess_lim.jpg

Princess sounds a lot like recent Kana Nishino https://vimeo.com/168893239

Shanlanlan (Opening for an anime) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctV3yVczbck

Kurita

Listened five times to the HIATUS's newest album today

Need more time but it might end up being my album of the year.
the HIATUS bringing an instant classic 2 and a half years after Keeper of The Flame.
Fans of the first albums will enjoy a more rock feel to the songs in general, after a mellow (yet fantastic) 4th album. That being said, the HIATUS explores once again some new, uncharted territories, delivering an album with a huge sense of scale to it leaving you breathless at times.
Takeshi himself said he's never made an album like this before. He also said that this album had a link to MONOEYES’s A Mirage In The Sun and somehow I can feel it while listening to the album. Little things here and there that made me realize it. Hard to explain but it’s there!

Fantastic record.

Super short version of Namie's "Hero" is up. The CG mixes pretty well with the live action shots. Not sure what "Green Floor" means, I'm looking forward to a long cut.

Green Floor represents love. There will also be a blue and red floor.

The NHK version is here: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1132530360119463&id=516469735058865&__tn__=c

They're beautiful videos!. Goddess material.

Lmao brilliant. Although it's in the Kpop thread I can't accept it as this threads best comment.

daydream

Banned
going through stump's playlist yielded three new discoveries for me (last check-in before that was in april or may)

iromegane, vivid undress and Y.I.M.

Peru

So we'll see BiS vs BisH ?

Did strike me that Pour Lui surprisingly had the least interesting post-BiS career. I think she needs to be somewhat in the mainstream to successfully provoke response.

e: that primal guitar riff at around 3 minutes is effective.

I was just thinking the same thing

dammit, don't play with my heart, watanabe. well if nothing else, he's got a real talent for picking members for his groups.

not-quite-as-new idol society

Peru

How did the recent single do? I feel like there wasn't much of an impact and I'm not sure if she even promoted it anywhere.

Big hit digitally. Still top 10 on itunes and rekochuku last week, 2,5 months after release. Success despite lack of promotions and general low-keyness of both singles shows how thirsty Japan is for more Utada.

Whoa, didn't see that coming, the song is alright. First album "Brand-new idol Society 2" will be out November 16. Seems like Frontic aren't disbanding.

New Utada album out September 28th, new pic:

She looks beautiful in the promo pic. Very nice to hear about a new album. It's been forever!

LayLa

sometimes the funniest thing about a manzai or owarai duo is their random English name. the new hosts of AKBINGO seem to have a weird vibe, not sure if I like it yet.

vanty

So for the first time since it's inception, AKBingo finally changed hosts. The new hosts are rising owarai duo, Woman Rush Hour, who won The Manzai contest back in 2013. The first episode with them was legit hilarious.

AKB48G TV Highlights from the week of 070216 [Good Enough ENG Subs]
As long as that girl made the paradise guy realise he should never do that gag again they seem to be good. Already sharing the role better than the 90-10 split that was Sata and the funnier Kiyoto.

Had a few requests for recommendations on 48G variety shows, thought I'd compile what I think to be a good crash course/intro into some of the best moments.

Mecha Mecha Iketeru

Bakajo Test

This came out at the tail end of the "classic era" of AKB before a lot of the 1st gen members started leaving. Near-mandatory viewing. AH, KAWAEI!
part 1
part 2
part 3
EXTRA

2012 Special

A good introduction to handshake events/backstage workings, and probably the best introdction to Paruru you could ask for.

AKBINGO

22 - a classic Yuko moment; Tomochin will eat anything

24, 27, 28, 30 - AKVegas

Muchaburi Dodgeball- http://www.show48.com/akbingo/

I don't want to list them all out here, but every episode with muchaburi dodgeball is worth watching.

Cooking Stadium:

Hamburg
Mapo Tofu
Omurice
Gyoza
Beef Stroganoff
Spring Rolls

Matsui Jurina Vs 10 Assassins:
part 1
part 2

The two best episodes of Battle Burger Shop! (aka, Oshima Yuko is a treasure)
part 1
part 2

The infamous "cicada breath battle" episode

if you still need more, search the list for any episode with shoujiki shougi, battle burger shop, or fast word battle. heck, most of the episodes up to about 170 are pretty good.

SKE Ebi Calcio:

Tani and Matsumura were locked in an apartment and were forced to live off only the items they were able to win via sweepstakes. Not all episodes have been subbed but it's still worth watching.
part 1
part 2
part 3
part 4
part 5
part 8?

Atsushi Paruru no Marumaru Baito:

London Boots' Atsushi and Paruru team up for extreme awkwardness and harsh judgement of strangers. Every episode is worth watching, but the first one is thoroughly mandatory.

episode 1

Nogizakatte Doko?! Episode 100 Ikuchan vs Sayuringo in a spicy noodle challenge.

Additional recommendations:

NMB Geinin: half scripted, half improv, the first two seasons are among my favorite 48G content, period. Plus it has the most Kinoshita Momoka of any show, which instantly makes it good. Season 3 may not be terrible, but it sure does explain why there wasn't a 4th.

Nogibingo: AKBingo but with Nogizaka46. Not a bad episode on the list.

if anybody else has any specific additions, let me know

Kurita

Kyuso Nekokami discover the magic of Photoshop in their new music video
http://youtu.be/UWgfwooNqxk

Czecho No Republic with the cool summer tune
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PY2mjD40A0
Mai <3

---
Music Station had a pretty sweet line-up this week for me with Takahashi Yu, Suiyoubi, Unison Square Garden and indigo la End. According to Takahashi, Fifth Harmony kept saying "How cool!" when Unison Square Garden were performing... lol
Speaking of Takahashi and Komuai...

Top Bottom