• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Schreier: heads rolling at Sony for the cancellation of The Last of Us Online after 4 years in development

Killjoy-NL

They're clearly winning, and have the bulk of sales. I guess my point (just my opinion) is that it comes off as luck to me that they are this dominant, because it feels like all of it mostly the result of good will generated last generation, and from an unusually aggressively loyal consumer base. I don't think Sony fans were that loyal at the start of the PS3. I've never seen anything like the loyalty this gen. Games prices up, system price up, and sub price up while game releases have gone down, showcases disappear and trailers never materialize.

There is no change in PS+ at all. Their PS+ consumers are literally paying for Factions 2 but not getting the game. They're paying for Bungie. And they're paying for Concord. Gamepass has raised prices, but you at least see Call of Duty added.

But anyway, Sony has tons of fans who are perfectly happy so I'm not acting like everyone agrees with me. My whole point is that they're still happy, and Sony is lucky to have those fans.
Prices in general have gone up, not just for Sony or gaming.
Almost everything.

So it has little to do with people being 'fans', but with life in general getting more expensive and people adjusting accordingly.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
This wasn’t some small time ‘incubation project’. This was Naughty Dog’s Next Big Thing, cited as their most ambitious game yet. They were most certainly in full production, as you’d expect after nearly 4 years of work.
Well, they said they never reached "full production" and they never gave us more than two drawings. They didn't even get to the early CGI trailer portion of the marketing process. 4 years in development isn't actually that long considering the nature of modern day game development.
From their statement, it’s easy enough to infer that they were in full production, and if they had something Bungie could review and assess, it insinuates they already had a vertical slice ready.
They said they didn't get to full production. "In ramping up to full production..." means they didn't get there.

They're clearly winning, and have the bulk of sales. I guess my point (just my opinion) is that it comes off as luck to me that they are this dominant, because it feels like all of it mostly the result of good will generated last generation, and from an unusually aggressively loyal consumer base. I don't think Sony fans were that loyal at the start of the PS3. I've never seen anything like the loyalty this gen. Games prices up, system price up, and sub price up while game releases have gone down, showcases disappear and trailers never materialize.

There is no change in PS+ at all. Their PS+ consumers are literally paying for Factions 2 but not getting the game. They're paying for Bungie. And they're paying for Concord. Gamepass has raised prices, but you at least see Call of Duty added.

But anyway, Sony has tons of fans who are perfectly happy so I'm not acting like everyone agrees with me. My whole point is that they're still happy, and Sony is lucky to have those fans.

This is not goodwill from last generation, it’s just good games.

Astros Playroom
Miles Morales
Demons Souls
SiFu
Returnal
Kena
Ratchet
GT7
Horizon FW
God of War Ragnarok
Final Fantasy 16
Spider-Man 2
Final Fantasy 7: Rebirth
Helldivers 2
Stellar Blade

There’s some massive games here in just the first few years. It shouldn’t be a surprise why it’s successful, certainly not luck, even if those takes don’t resonate with you

Last edited:

Bernardougf

I don’t care what anyone says, Returnal and GT7 can’t change the fact that this has been a disaster generation for Sony’s in-house studios and the future is bleak. Heads should be rolling, and no, Cuckmann should not be spared simply because he uses L’Oréal shampoo and allows other people to make love to his wife whilst he watches.
yaZzhMQ.gif

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Someone posted the graphs, it's just facts.
The graphs literally show a reduction in SP investment from FY19 to FY22. They are set to increase the sp invest in 2025, but there is no denying that at the crucial juncture of 2019 to 2023, the SP investment was reduced when it shouldve been increased. The results speak for themselves. Last year they just had spiderman 2. this year astro bot and no real AAA single player game from their A-tier studios. They should end the gen strong but their sp AAA games have simply suffered due to Jimbo and Herman Hulst's moronic decision to go all in on gaas instead of doubling down on the single player games that made them so successful. Not to mention making GOW Ragnork, Horizon FW, and GT7 last gen limiting the creativity, ambition and vision of the most talented devs in the business, and taking a big shit on the fans who spent $500 on their newest consoles. It's great that Jimbo got the axe, but Herman getting promoted is exactly the kind of failing upwards nonsense we see in today's corporate culture.

7DuLWIF.jpeg

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
The graphs literally show a reduction in SP investment from FY19 to FY22. They are set to increase the sp invest in 2025, but there is no denying that at the crucial juncture of 2019 to 2023, the SP investment was reduced when it shouldve been increased. The results speak for themselves. Last year they just had spiderman 2. this year astro bot and no real AAA single player game from their A-tier studios. They should end the gen strong but their sp AAA games have simply suffered due to Jimbo and Herman Hulst's moronic decision to go all in on gaas instead of doubling down on the single player games that made them so successful. Not to mention making GOW Ragnork, Horizon FW, and GT7 last gen limiting the creativity, ambition and vision of the most talented devs in the business, and taking a big shit on the fans who spent $500 on their newest consoles. It's great that Jimbo got the axe, but Herman getting promoted is exactly the kind of failing upwards nonsense we see in today's corporate culture.

7DuLWIF.jpeg
I think they are giving Hulst a shot to change course, under incredibly close supervision from Totoki. I honestly don't know if the list of people even qualified to occupy that spot is very long. There's risk in replacing everyone. Sometimes you can learn from mistakes.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

7DuLWIF.jpeg
You'd have to know the general fluctuations of the SP efforts from year to year. Sony released a boat load of games in 2019 - 2020 (the most expensive part of development is near the end). It's natural that studios spend less money when they're just starting out their next big project.

SlimySnake

I think they are giving Hulst a shot to change course, under incredibly close supervision from Totoki. I honestly don't know if the list of people even qualified to occupy that spot is very long. There's risk in replacing everyone. Sometimes you can learn from mistakes.
You have to hold the leaders accountable or you end up in the situation MS has found themselves in where they let Phil and matt booty incharge for over a decade and they continued making the same mistakes over and over again.

Do you really think if they had fired Phil and let Booty take over things would be different? i dont think so. Booty is a huge part of the problem. Herman has to go. So does Neil. Though with neil, he's still the best director/talent he has so give him a team and a $100 million, and let him make whatever he wants.

i say put Shu back in charge of Sony WW Studios. especially now that Herman's Co-CEO job basically entails handling the development side of the busines. Under Shu, Sony won GOTY awards in 2013, 2016, 2018, 2019 and 2020. And yes, im aware Herman took over in late 2019, but shu was the one who cultivated 2020 releases like TLOU2 and Ghost of Tsushima. Even in the years he lost to witcher 3 and Zelda BOTW, he released Bloodborne and Horizon 1 both of which were runner ups in the GOTY tallies. To sideline him over Herman hulst who then proceeded to ruin Sony WW studios in just a span of five years is by far the most idiotic move they made and the results over the past four years speak for themselves.

Punished Miku

You have to hold the leaders accountable or you end up in the situation MS has found themselves in where they let Phil and matt booty incharge for over a decade and they continued making the same mistakes over and over again.

Do you really think if they had fired Phil and let Booty take over things would be different? i dont think so. Booty is a huge part of the problem. Herman has to go. So does Neil. Though with neil, he's still the best director/talent he has so give him a team and a $100 million, and let him make whatever he wants.

i say put Shu back in charge of Sony WW Studios. especially now that Herman's Co-CEO job basically entails handling the development side of the busines. Under Shu, Sony won GOTY awards in 2013, 2016, 2018, 2019 and 2020. And yes, im aware Herman took over in late 2019, but shu was the one who cultivated 2020 releases like TLOU2 and Ghost of Tsushima. Even in the years he lost to witcher 3 and Zelda BOTW, he released Bloodborne and Horizon 1 both of which were runner ups in the GOTY tallies. To sideline him over Herman hulst who then proceeded to ruin Sony WW studios in just a span of five years is by far the most idiotic move they made and the results over the past four years speak for themselves.
I have some sympathy for the MS situation honestly, because by all accounts they overmanaged to a really detrimental degree with Rare, Lionhead and Bungie. They clearly tried to learn from that experience and course correct with a hands off approach that should be a dream for artists.

I think they actually have done a decent job at highlighting the people responsible and holding them accountable. They fired Pete Hines after Redfall came out undercooked. They were letting Bethesda run things on their own, and since that didn't work they corrected the issue. They reassigned Bonnie Ross after Halo Infinite came out undercooked, and they're making changes there too.

I think most people know I don't agree with the Phil Spencer hate. On most big picture items, I think he had really daring and innovative vision and went all in on trying new things. And he's shown a willingness to really radically pivot into the exact things I want to see, multiple times in a row. The sales aren't materializing, but I honestly can't fault him for that. I genuinely do blame the consumer for picking the worse option irrationally. I don't think replacing Spencer with some business guy is going to improve much, and it might turn out like Mattrick or Ryan and be far, far worse.

As for Booty, I have to think he's doing something right to receive the kind of promotions he has. I think they're stacking up releases on a level that their competition honestly can't match, it's just taken several years to get going. But I get it, everyone hates Xbox so I don't plan on finding anyone agreeing with me. The only thing that I couldn't find any rationale for at all is Tango Games. They are literally my favorite Japanese developer outside Nintendo. But at the very least, it seems they are staying open so that's good. That decision I will never understand. If that's a Booty decision, it's a colossal fuck up. I'd love to know who made that call.

But to tie this back to Hulst, that is kind of my point. I don't like the direction PS is going in either, so it's real easy for me to say sure fire Hulst. But my point is, maybe he's actually still the best guy for the job. He has experience in Sony, he has experience in Guerilla. He's made some big errors, and he might be able to learn from that and do better than a brand new person. That's kind of my take with Booty at this point as well. If you set aside poor sales, the Xbox studio release pipeline has literally never looked better than right now.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Yes. There was absolutely no reason to fire him, it would have been plainly retarded and nonsensical.

Despite challenges like covid, chips shortage, Switch performing great etc. in his 5 years generated more profits than in the entire previous SIE history, and also generated this generation in 3.5 years (so around half of the generation) almost -will achieve it in a few months- more revenue than in any previous generation.

And this is because basically all SIE business areas, both recent ones and classic ones, are in all time highs and in a multi year growth trend. They

And well, if fired he wouldn't have been there in his position for over half a year and wouldn't have made the goodbye parties. Nothing leads to think he was fired and there was no -at least known- reason to fire him.

No, games have been cancelled all the time since the 70s in all companies, and that includes Sony (in their case they started to make games in the '80s). But the development time and manpower needed to make AAA games increases every generation.
You are giving Jimbo all the accolades from PS5 success launch and turning a blind eye for its short comings... oh ps5 was a huuuge success on launch.. yes it was .. and now ? Is trailing behind ps4.. in a gen were xbox has thrown the towel and is not even competing since the beginning.... yes he managed the first years.. and maybe the higher ups were supper happy and jimbo has gone out as the hero they wanted... or maybe they saw the mess that their first party studios are, underdelivering in quality and quantity, huge projects canceled, the bungie debacle, the gaas push failure, if he is to be solely congratulate for the early succes so should be his blame for the worst generation so far as far as first party studios manegement and output go... the ps5 should by all accounts be selling more than the ps4 specially after the initial success and the reality is that there is no games to sell consoles for quite some time, and qe are already in the 4th to 5th in the console life. and the selling halted and previsions and shipments are being revisited and dimished, and bundgie is being cut down and put it under scrutiny, and factions was canceled, and concord is going to flop, and psvr2 support is a joke and a failed project.

Point is....that is success and that is failures in his leadership ... maybe the scale shifted against him or maybe he has gone out on top. Seing thing as they are right now, I believe in the former... be my guess to think otherwise, its all speculation anyway.

Killjoy-NL

7DuLWIF.jpeg
Yes and as pointed out by the other Gaffer, notice how the 45% for FY25 is more (about ~40% more?) than the 51% for FY22?

They are investing much more into games and more into Traditional than the years before.
And this is part of their Gaas-strategy, so people are making mountains out of molehills.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Killing Xbox is the mic-drop highlight of his career.
It won't get better than that and Playstation has room to breathe abd reassess their businessplan.

Getting fired over Factions, London Studio and Firesprite doesn't make any sense.
It's not even that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things.
Lol what killed xbox was horrible manegement for years and years.. with the gen playstation is having... if phil and co had got their shit together since last gen they would be in the best position ever to comeback strong... imagine pumping out great first party games in this void playstation studios are leaving for this year and the next. Or competing against the bad sequels they have thrown out. Xbox died from their own shitness.

As I said there is multiple factors... Bungie failure, projects canceled, gaas push failure, mismagement of first party resources, lower quantity and quality output form first party. I think we can find many reasons a ceo would loose his job if they wanted to fire him.

Im not saying they absolutely did.. theres no fcking way I can know this... but reasons ? They exist.. and are plenty.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

I mean....duh? When a project that costs that much money gets canceled, people are going to lose their jobs. It's not exactly unique to TLOU Online.

Killjoy-NL

Lol what killed xbox was horrible manegement for years and years.. with the gen playstation is having... if phil and co had got their shir together since last gen they would be in the best position ever to comeback strong... imagine pumping out grest first party games in this void playstation studios is leaving for this year and the next. Or competing against the bad sequels they have thrown out. Xbox died from their own shitness.

As I said there is multiple factors... Bungie failure, projects canceled, gaas push failure, mismagement of first party resources, lower quantity and quality output form first party. I think we can find many reasons a ceo would loose his job if they wanted to fire him.

Im not saying they absolutely did.. theres no fcking way I can know this... but reasons ? They exist.. and are plenty.
The deal Jim Ryan got out of it effecticely killed any possibility for Xbox to make COD exclusive.
We all know that was their hail-mary attempt at getting back into the competition.
It was just the final nail.

As you said, if they wanted to fire him, but nothing indicates that they wanted to or did that.

SlimySnake

I have some sympathy for the MS situation honestly, because by all accounts they overmanaged to a really detrimental degree with Rare, Lionhead and Bungie. They clearly tried to learn from that experience and course correct with a hands off approach that should be a dream for artists.

I think they actually have done a decent job at highlighting the people responsible and holding them accountable. They fired Pete Hines after Redfall came out undercooked. They were letting Bethesda run things on their own, and since that didn't work they corrected the issue. They reassigned Bonnie Ross after Halo Infinite came out undercooked, and they're making changes there too.

I think most people know I don't agree with the Phil Spencer hate. On most big picture items, I think he had really daring and innovative vision and went all in on trying new things. And he's shown a willingness to really radically pivot into the exact things I want to see, multiple times in a row. The sales aren't materializing, but I honestly can't fault him for that. I genuinely do blame the consumer for picking the worse option irrationally. I don't think replacing Spencer with some business guy is going to improve much, and it might turn out like Mattrick or Ryan and be far, far worse.

As for Booty, I have to think he's doing something right to receive the kind of promotions he has. I think they're stacking up releases on a level that their competition honestly can't match, it's just taken several years to get going. But I get it, everyone hates Xbox so I don't plan on finding anyone agreeing with me. The only thing that I couldn't find any rationale for at all is Tango Games. They are literally my favorite Japanese developer outside Nintendo. But at the very least, it seems they are staying open so that's good. That decision I will never understand. If that's a Booty decision, it's a colossal fuck up. I'd love to know who made that call.

But to tie this back to Hulst, that is kind of my point. I don't like the direction PS is going in either, so it's real easy for me to say sure fire Hulst. But my point is, maybe he's actually still the best guy for the job. He has experience in Sony, he has experience in Guerilla. He's made some big errors, and he might be able to learn from that and do better than a brand new person. That's kind of my take with Booty at this point as well. If you set aside poor sales, the Xbox studio release pipeline has literally never looked better than right now.
Pete Hines and Bonnie Ross (among others) sound like scapegoats to me. Redfall and Halo infinite arent the exceptions, they are the norm. Should Todd Howard get fired next for an underwhelming Starfield release? What about the Forza guys over at Turn10? Or Ninja Theory who just released a game thats barely even a game.

I dont know how they are stacking up releases either. They had hellblade 2 this year and a bethesda game in indiana jones later in december. That was Pete Hines, no? Whats Matt booty done? Hellblade 2 and Forza last year. Fuck all in 2022.

Things will never change over at MS unless those two are gone and replaced by people outside of the MS bubble. He spent close to $3 billion on Minecraft in 2014 instead of investing in those first party studios then closed a bunch of them cancelling other games like Fable, Scalebound and Coalitions new IP that was already annoucned with a ingame trailer at E3 2013...... which is literally what we are seeing here this gen with sony spending $3.6 billion on bungie followed by a bunch of studio shutdowns, cancellations and layoffs. Had they held on to that $3.6 billion, maybe GG, SSM and Insomniac would not have seen those layoffs last year that will undoubtedly hurt them going forward just like Phil's decisions did towards the end of last gen.

Kerotan

Just so everyone realises this GAAS vanity project is the reason there's going to be such a big gap between TLOU2 and whatever comes next.

Btw Jason sounds every bit as cucky as I always imagined.

Reactions: Isa

Punished Miku

Pete Hines and Bonnie Ross (among others) sound like scapegoats to me. Redfall and Halo infinite arent the exceptions, they are the norm. Should Todd Howard get fired next for an underwhelming Starfield release? What about the Forza guys over at Turn10? Or Ninja Theory who just released a game thats barely even a game.
I think Starfield is awesome. I've enjoyed Forza as well. Most of the trolling about it I see comes from PC gamers who may have some complaints unique to that version. Ninja Theory put out my GOTY so far and I think the best looking game I've ever seen, literally ever. So no, I don't think they should be fired. I was all about Hi-Fi Rush as well, and I didn't think anyone at Tango should be fired.

I'm able to separate my assessment of the quality of something from the sales results. I think Xbox games are getting better and better. Nuclear Hot Take Alert: Even if you look at their literal worst release, Redfall, I think they actually accomplished more than Naughty Dog. They took a failed GAAS game and managed to salvage a single player game out of it and actually got it out the door. Naughty Dog put out a drawing. Redfall was lacking polish in some major ways, but I enjoyed it. I was able to play it. And that's literally Xbox's worst game, better than Naughty Dog's GAAS attempt.

As everyone knows I'm a fan of these releases, so it would be odd for me to ask for them to fire people over it. There's 2 theories about Xbox and I totally get if you don't agree with me. 1) Xbox management sucks and their games suck and this is why their sales suck. 2) Xbox games are good, GP is a great value, the system is awesome but sales suck because console sales are contracting, digital sales are solidifying consumer movement and the best case scenario for them is to pivot to something else.

I think it's #2. You think it's #1.

Na, that would have just delayed the singleplayer and would have taken even longer. The benefit with live service games is that you can release a barebones game and then add content later with content updates. It's not what prevented MP in part 1 remake.
All right then what prevented it? There was no need to release it when it did, the show was still six months out, there was no reason why they couldn’t have released the multiplayer in the future with an update other than the same reason why we haven’t gotten shit else worth while from naughty dog in 4 years, with nothing in sight.

Part two was supposed to get multiplayer in the future, that’s straight from naughty dog. It was delayed multiple times, that eventually turned into the GAAS and you know they would not want a MP game competing with their own GAAS. The GAAS likely had factions, according to rumors, if it wasn’t for this game, part one would’ve had MP, part two would’ve had MP.

Last edited:

Three

All right then what prevented it? There was no need to release it when it did, the show was still six months out, there was no reason why they couldn’t have released the multiplayer in the future with an update other than the same reason why we haven’t gotten shit else worth while from naughty dog in 4 years, with nothing in sight.
Sony concentrating on a single player game to generate ND revenue. This was what everybody was asking for too. I'm just saying live service and MP mode are not that different in getting ready so live service factions and MP factions would be the same work for release. If anything live service allows you to release barebones and treat milestones as content updates/seasons.

Shifty1897

Heads should roll for it. We could have had a new single player game by now but instead we have nothing because Bankrupt Bungie somehow got to make the call to kill TLOU Online but greenlight Concord (what the actual fuck)

Loxus

7DuLWIF.jpeg
Look at how big FY25 bar has gotten.

It implies that the overall budget has increased by a lot.

Despite Traditional investment dropping to 45%, the graph also depicts a bigger investment to Traditional in FY25 vs FY19.

simpatico

Gold Member
TLOU is the best universe to put a modern MP game in. You've got the teenage girl boss who can defeat grown men in hand-to-hand combat (many times per day no less). You're got the bad ass, take no shit trans lady. All those adjacent Firefly people are all perfect for it too. I can only imagine how bad it had to be to get canceled. Really makes you wonder how smelly Druck's shit burger was to throw away all that work. Modern Sony doesn't even have the highest standards. I mean look at Concord. Good grief.

near

Gold Member
Well, they said they never reached "full production" and they never gave us more than two drawings. They didn't even get to the early CGI trailer portion of the marketing process. 4 years in development isn't actually that long considering the nature of modern day game development.

They said they didn't get to full production. "In ramping up to full production..." means they didn't get there.
Why do you believe it never entered full production? Because ND said they never entered full production in there cancellation statement? You believe that shit? Lololol

You actually think Factions 2 was in pre-production for 5 years? News flash - It was not, they entered full production at some point and when they realised it wasn’t going to work rebooted and started again before it was eventually cancelled. ND is a poorly managed studio, and its resource management has been abysmal for years. 4-5 years of development is a very very long time to produce absolutely fuck all.

yurinka

You are giving Jimbo all the accolades from PS5 success launch and turning a blind eye for its short comings... oh ps5 was a huuuge success on launch.. yes it was ..
Yes, Jimbo was the CEO during the PS5 launch and over a year before plus the related reorganization of their marketing team, expansion of their 1st party teams and many other important changes and actions I mentioned. So obviously he's the one with the main responsability for it (but also the team he had working for him).

and now ?
In most metrics SIE is performing way better when he left in March than when he started in 2019 (and growing).

Since April there are new CEOs who just started and still haven't made any meaningful changes (which require time) so it's too early to analyze them as CEOs. But under Jimbo both already were making almost the same functions, so I assume they are also responsible for the current good performance, and that if they don't make any meaningful change will be because they are fine with their current very successful strategy, that they also did help to build.

Obviously there's

Is trailing behind ps4..
the ps5 should by all accounts be selling more than the ps4

No, in game (sales + addons) revenue, game subs revenue, accesories revenue, active userbase and ARPU (plus in total SIE revenue and profitability) PS5 is performing better launch aligned than PS4.

In terms of hardware sale PS5 is performing better than PS4 in NA and Japan, so it's performing worse than PS4 in terms of units (I bet it's performing better in terms of revenue) only EMEA/Europe (or at least in some top selling EU countries).

We should analyze each country, but tradionally in Europe PS has been sold more expensive than in USA or Japan, and not sure in all countries but maybe the economy and inflation (plus other things like backfiring of sanctions to Russia) had a bigger impact on EU than in other places.

Point is....that is success and that is failures in his leadership
This is their top grossing generation and made more profit in the generation than in all the previous ones combined. Most metrics are in awesome or record levels and growing.

The only one sub-PS4 (and not by much) is hardware units sold worldwide but particularly in EMEA countries. We saw UK the other day, it's behind PS4 there bout it's the top 5 fastest selling console and pretty close of the top 4 and not too far from top 3. I wouldn't call it a failure specially knowing the chips shortages, economics and prices increases instead of dropping.

We also have to consider that the ranking I mentioned was ranked by the amount of time needed to reach I think it was 4M units. But if we look at the revenue made when reached that point was much higher in case of PS5 too.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
i mean they can revive it if they want, cant be worse than concord lol

Reactions: Isa
I don’t care what anyone says, Returnal and GT7 can’t change the fact that this has been a disaster generation for Sony’s in-house studios and the future is bleak. Heads should be rolling, and no, Cuckmann should not be spared simply because he uses L’Oréal shampoo and allows other people to make love to his wife whilst he watches.
see, this's how you make your point clearly & effectively: remain calm, focus on your message, & never, ever stoop to getting personally defamatory. try it! you'll see...

Fake

Gold Member
This console generation continues to be absolute fucking garbage. Imagine a Naughty Dog game getting cancelled 4+ years into development lmao. What is even going on anymore?

Whats going on? ND make a fucking remake and them a remaster and you ask whats going on?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
i mean they can revive it if they want, cant be worse than concord lol

They still have a few live service games left in their original grand plan, right? I don't think they canceled all of them.

Top Bottom