• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Schrier "Xbox is a 'mess' right now, Plans change every year, Teasing "Handheld" right now"

Klayzer

Halo hasn't been relevant since...what year exactly? The fact you need to bring up a remastered collection from that IP from the good ol' days says everything, which is interesting since people keep complaining that Sony releases remasters and remakes but apparently for this one IP it's okay. And Forza Motorstorm may have an 87 on metacritic but the market didn't move when it released, no one cared and it's an irrelevant IP right now. Meanwhile Gran Turismo 7 keeps showing up on sales charts, almost 3 years after release and it's probably well past the 10M copies sold at this point. Another Xbox fumble. Just 10 years ago that IP was A LOT more relevant than GT.

I'll give you Forza Horizon though.

Ok...i'm gonna need a lengthy analysis on Playstation currently cause one paragraph with you saying "3 games and months of nothing plus state of play sucks" doesn't even begin to describe what's happening:

3 exclusive games? Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade, FFVII Rebirth, Astrobot are 4 exclusive AAA games, not 3. 2 of them are new IPs and Astrobot just got its first full game that's not a VR title. I don't remember Xbox having 2 exclusive games being GOTY contenders and the top 2 games on metacritic in a year like PS5 does this year.

Helldivers 2 is literally a Sony IP and one of the biggest hits of the year in the entire market. Also console exclusive. Silent Hill 2 was just really well received as well. Another console exclusive. Everything mckmas8808 mckmas8808 mentioned can't be played on an Xbox. That's what counts in the end.

And i don't get what's the problem with releasing 3 pieces of hardware? PS5 slim is just a revision like Sony has done since the PSOne days. PS Portal is a piece of hardware that far surpassed Sony's expectations and the Pro, too soon to tell. Sounds like they are reading the market right? Remember everyone laughing at Dual Sense Edge? It's constantly one of the best selling accessories every month.

Playstation is excelling in hardware, exclusive games, financing new IPs, releasing sequels, remasters, remakes, small and big projects. They have marketing rights for all the big IPs (Fortnite, GTA, Fifa, etc) and until recently also had for COD which they now don't have because MS had to buy the entire publisher (or was it Activision that swallowed Xbox? Hard to tell).

About "months of nothing" from Sony...Astrobot just released a month ago, Silent Hill 2 is about to release, Until Dawn remake is also releasing soon, plus there's still Lego Horizon coming up. We already know next year will have Death Stranding 2 and Ghost of Tsushima's sequel. And this is what was announced so far. GTAVI, the biggest game release of probably all time is about to happen when PS5 is hitting PS3's lifetime sales late 2025 / early 2026 as well and i'm sure a marketing deal is gonna happen like always with GTA.

Hell even something like Palworld releases without a PS5 version, is a hit on Xbox and Sony jumps right behind and not only managed to have the game running on PS5 during that same year, they will also expand the IP to something bigger than only that game. That's how fast they operate. Xbox failed to even secure that. In a few years people will relate that IP to Sony and not Xbox. Another one. Meanwhile Xbox keeps missing surprise hits. Last year with Baldur's Gate 3, this year with Black Myth Wukong. But hey...Genshin Impact is hitting Xbox 5 years after release right?

With Sony, "months of nothing" is never a thing...at least for more than 6 months but no publisher releases games monthly, not in 2024.

Meanwhile, even after absorbing Activision, Blizzard and Beshesda, MS can go on more than a year without releasing a single game that makes the market move. That's what a mess they are in 2024. Like...Starfield came and went, Forza Motorstorm was mocked online, compared to cross-gen Gran Turismo 7 and failing to match it even though it was "built from the ground up" the the new gen, Halo Infinite...i won't even mention it even with a year (!!!) delay, Red Fall...who remembers that? What do they have? Oh right...that tech demo, Hellblade II. And...what else? COD, a well oiled machine since before they were acquired making the big bucks i guess.

Gamepass ruined Xbox forever with the "you don't have to buy games" mindset. It ruined them so much they are now releasing all of their stuff on PS5. Literally on one of their latest conferences, their big "one more thing" moment was to announce the PS5 version of Indiana Jones lol.

From all the big 3, Sony was by far the busiest one this year. It's not even close. They will have half of the GOTY contenders for themselves, meanwhile MS can't even score a win in those categories for their entire run as console makers for the past...20 years maybe? When was the last time? Halo 3? They are always non-existent at the Game Awards for that reason.

How can you look at everything Sony released, developed, financed in 2024 and say it's "months of nothing" while trying to put them at the same level as Xbox is...interesting.

Xbox problems aren't Sony's problems. Yes Concord happened, but that doesn't take away every great thing that released this year on PS5.
twA03El.gif

diffusionx

Gold Member
Clarky, that's your personal opinion and Metacritic doesn't really back you up. But I think it would be fair to say that MS have clearly mishandled the Forza Motorsport franchise as well.

As for the MCC, it is an advantage when PS5 has nothing like it. That's why so many Sony fans are desperate to see Halo MCC and Forza Horizon appear on their favoured platform. There's a hunger there for FPS and simcade racers that isn't being satisfied by the current offerings.
And not everyone likes COD.
Nobody is desperate for those games lmao. Give me a break.

MCC came out in 2014 and the last Forza Horizon was in 2020. Anyone who is desperate to play those would have bought an Xbox years ago.

RPCGamer

Over analyze? You’re the one who keeps doubling down on a ludicrous “Sony is coasting” statement.

Tiago thoroughly roasted your assertion with facts. That you can only retort with a reiteration of your initial flawed argument followed by a personal attack shows you’ve lost.
Lost what? What are you talking about?

If you really want to go into it, a lot of what he said was true and I agreed. The only bit I think is a bit odd to bring up was GTA as that's not an Sony game. The rest was basically what we already knew.

clarky

Gold Member
LOL nope. I don't think there is a single "Sony fan" who gives an actual shit about "Xbox exclusive" properties which are all on PC anyways and don't exactly burn up the sales charts there either
That was kinda my point, guess it went over ya head.

Over analyze? You’re the one who keeps doubling down on a ludicrous “Sony is coasting” statement.

Tiago thoroughly roasted your assertion with facts. That you can only retort with a reiteration of your initial flawed argument followed by a personal attack shows you’ve lost.

Ive been disappointed with their output also this gen but they are in about the same spot they were with the 4 and that gen turned out ok I guess.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Halo hasn't been relevant since...what year exactly? The fact you need to bring up a remastered collection from that IP from the good ol' days says everything, which is interesting since people keep complaining that Sony releases remasters and remakes but apparently for this one IP it's okay. And Forza Motorstorm may have an 87 on metacritic but the market didn't move when it released, no one cared and it's an irrelevant IP right now. Meanwhile Gran Turismo 7 keeps showing up on sales charts, almost 3 years after release and it's probably well past the 10M copies sold at this point. Another Xbox fumble. Just 10 years ago that IP was A LOT more relevant than GT.

I'll give you Forza Horizon though.

Ok...i'm gonna need a lengthy analysis on Playstation currently cause one paragraph with you saying "3 games and months of nothing plus state of play sucks" doesn't even begin to describe what's happening:

3 exclusive games? Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade, FFVII Rebirth, Astrobot are 4 exclusive AAA games, not 3. 2 of them are new IPs and Astrobot just got its first full game that's not a VR title. I don't remember Xbox having 2 exclusive games being GOTY contenders and the top 2 games on metacritic in a year like PS5 does this year.

Helldivers 2 is literally a Sony IP and one of the biggest hits of the year in the entire market. Also console exclusive. Silent Hill 2 was just really well received as well. Another console exclusive. Everything mckmas8808 mckmas8808 mentioned can't be played on an Xbox. That's what counts in the end.

And i don't get what's the problem with releasing 3 pieces of hardware? PS5 slim is just a revision like Sony has done since the PSOne days. PS Portal is a piece of hardware that far surpassed Sony's expectations and the Pro, too soon to tell. Sounds like they are reading the market right? Remember everyone laughing at Dual Sense Edge? It's constantly one of the best selling accessories every month.

Playstation is excelling in hardware, exclusive games, financing new IPs, releasing sequels, remasters, remakes, small and big projects. They have marketing rights for all the big IPs (Fortnite, GTA, Fifa, etc) and until recently also had for COD which they now don't have because MS had to buy the entire publisher (or was it Activision that swallowed Xbox? Hard to tell).

About "months of nothing" from Sony...Astrobot just released a month ago, Silent Hill 2 is about to release, Until Dawn remake is also releasing soon, plus there's still Lego Horizon coming up. We already know next year will have Death Stranding 2 and Ghost of Tsushima's sequel. And this is what was announced so far. GTAVI, the biggest game release of probably all time is about to happen when PS5 is hitting PS3's lifetime sales late 2025 / early 2026 as well and i'm sure a marketing deal is gonna happen like always with GTA.

Hell even something like Palworld releases without a PS5 version, is a hit on Xbox and Sony jumps right behind and not only managed to have the game running on PS5 during that same year, they will also expand the IP to something bigger than only that game. That's how fast they operate. Xbox failed to even secure that. In a few years people will relate that IP to Sony and not Xbox. Another one. Meanwhile Xbox keeps missing surprise hits. Last year with Baldur's Gate 3, this year with Black Myth Wukong. But hey...Genshin Impact is hitting Xbox 5 years after release right?

With Sony, "months of nothing" is never a thing...at least for more than 6 months but no publisher releases games monthly, not in 2024.

Meanwhile, even after absorbing Activision, Blizzard and Beshesda, MS can go on more than a year without releasing a single game that makes the market move. That's what a mess they are in 2024. Like...Starfield came and went, Forza Motorstorm was mocked online, compared to cross-gen Gran Turismo 7 and failing to match it even though it was "built from the ground up" the the new gen, Halo Infinite...i won't even mention it even with a year (!!!) delay, Red Fall...who remembers that? What do they have? Oh right...that tech demo, Hellblade II. And...what else? COD, a well oiled machine since before they were acquired making the big bucks i guess.

Gamepass ruined Xbox forever with the "you don't have to buy games" mindset. It ruined them so much they are now releasing all of their stuff on PS5. Literally on one of their latest conferences, their big "one more thing" moment was to announce the PS5 version of Indiana Jones lol.

From all the big 3, Sony was by far the busiest one this year. It's not even close. They will have half of the GOTY contenders for themselves, meanwhile MS can't even score a win in those categories for their entire run as console makers for the past...20 years maybe? When was the last time? Halo 3? They are always non-existent at the Game Awards for that reason.

How can you look at everything Sony released, developed, financed in 2024 and say it's "months of nothing" while trying to put them at the same level as Xbox is...interesting.

Xbox problems aren't Sony's problems. Yes Concord happened, but that doesn't take away every great thing that released this year on PS5.

Even though this is written with a Sony bias i don't think anyone can argue the majority of this isnt true.

Most of the stuff wasn't for me but at least they have released a load of exclusive stuff and Astrobot, Silent Hill and Helldivers look to be far better than anything released by Xbox this year. Xbox output has been worse than woeful upto this point this year, yet again.

Im a COD player so i guess thats a win, kinda.

Last edited:

RPCGamer

Astrobot literally came out 30 days ago and Silent Hill is coming out tomorrow.
Yup. Both are good games too. And we have Ghosts next year?

Update: I never said they don't have good games coming out. I said I feel like they've been coasting at times and I stand by that. I'm not the first to point it out either.

Last edited:

Nikodemos

I suspect their 2019-Embracer-tier buying spree was, in retrospect, a mistake. It vastly increased Xbox division expectations from the rest of Microsoft. That money would have been better spent on improving internal tools, expanding localizations, and moneyhatting select titles.

playbignbox

Even though this is written with a Sony bias i don't think anyone can argue the majority of this isnt true.

Most of the stuff wasn't for me but at least they have released a load of exclusive stuff and Astrobot, Silent Hill and Helldivers look to be far better than anything released by Xbox this year. Xbox output has been worse than woeful upto this point this year, yet again.

Im a COD player so i guess thats a win, kinda.
This year I plan to play most of the exclusives that came out for PlayStation 5, except for some that I'm not particularly interested in, such as this year's remasters/remakes, Lego Horizon (LEGO games are very boring) and Ronin (I didn't like it).

From Microsoft and its conglomerate, I wasn't interested in Hellblade 2, Age of Mythology, Ara or the Starfield DLC, but I plan to play Stalker 2, Indiana Jones, Flight Simulator, Diablo 4 expansion and CoD BO6 (despite the fact that it's multiplatform).

At least for me, in practice there are five PlayStation 5 exclusives vs four Xbox games (three exclusives at launch, but I'll play CoD on Xbox because it's day one on GamePass) + one expansion.

Honestly, it's not as big a difference as it seems, so I also share the feeling that opinion is biased, especially when part of the PlayStation 5 base itself complains about the frequency of Sony's first-party game releases.

I think the biggest problem for Xbox in terms of releases this year was not receiving Wukong, that really sucks.

clarky

Gold Member
This year I plan to play most of the exclusives that came out for PlayStation 5, except for some that I'm not particularly interested in, such as this year's remasters/remakes, Lego Horizon (LEGO games are very boring) and Ronin (I didn't like it).

From Microsoft and its conglomerate, I wasn't interested in Hellblade 2, Age of Mythology, Ara or the Starfield DLC, but I plan to play Stalker 2, Indiana Jones, Flight Simulator, Diablo 4 expansion and CoD BO6 (despite the fact that it's multiplatform).

At least for me, in practice there are five PlayStation 5 exclusives vs four Xbox games (three exclusives at launch, but I'll play CoD on Xbox because it's day one on GamePass) + one expansion.

Honestly, it's not as big a difference as it seems, so I also share the feeling that opinion is biased, especially when part of the PlayStation 5 base itself complains about the frequency of Sony's first-party game releases.

I think the biggest problem for Xbox in terms of releases this year was not receiving Wukong, that really sucks.
Agreed. Although like I said up to this point Xbox has been shite. HB2 was a snooze fest, Age of Mythology i played years ago. Starfield DLC i'll play when i get the time. Indy, Diablo and COD all interest me, but have yet to release.

Top Bottom