• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Schrier "Xbox is a 'mess' right now, Plans change every year, Teasing "Handheld" right now"

Topher

Gold Member
As for the 2010 comment, it's no secret that MS have made a lot of mistakes in the last decade plus but... Forza Horizon series is "shit"? Fight Sim too? Halo has had its problems but then we remember that the best FPS game on PS5 is PowerWash simulator...

Animated GIF

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
I'm pretty critical of Microsoft, but this is weak and laughable commentary from Schreier.

Just because Microsoft isn't telling people what their plan is or what they're saying publicly changes, doesn't mean that they're a mess. They're a mess for other reasons.

People think that ports for example pop up out of nowhere... As if Phil Spencer hasn't known ports were coming for more than a year now. When Phil Spencer made his comments about not being able to out console Sony, he already knew they were porting games.

Microsoft is making a transition into a software publisher that doesn't want to lose revenue from Xbox and GamePass. What Schreier sees as a mess is Microsoft slowly boiling the pot.

He recently said that their strategy leaves everyone confused. That's only people who aren't reading the tea leaves.

Microsoft didn't develop their internal studios or their IP basically since they bought Halo and Bungie. Gears was Epic Games. Flight Simulator existed before Xbox as did Age of Empire. Forza is in the dumps (aside from Horizon) and Fable looks clownish. Perfect Dark? Another IP that they didn't make or nourish.

The only people confused are the ones playing console wars still.

The first bandaid has been ripped no exclusive games (Xbox/sony)
Second is no more subsidized consoles
Third everything folded into pc aka battle of ecosystems

If nextbox is a pc a few questions;
Are there mods ?
Custom msft software like auto sr resolution ?
Will all next box games be full pc Versions?
Will pc gamepass = next box gp price

I am fine with a portable handheld if full next is the rumored 1k to 1.5k box; as it would be a pc lite with bc/forward compatibility. It would turn the console into a premium device and no one would be left behind pc/psx/nintendo as msft can sell games to everyone with a difference being your level of payment determining experience graphically.

Lastly if Sony sticks with ps6 in 28 and msft has a device for 25; things will be interesting as this device may play the entire ps5 exclusive catalog until ps6 launches at min 700 with only psn ecosystem.

drganon

Sony have made mistakes time and again and I'm not sure why PlayStation would be immune from that, especially in light of recent failures.
When MS decided to enter the console market, they were genuinely fearful of Sony "owning the living room." Would anyone seriously say that Sony are overall a more successful company today than they were in the year 2000 and that MS are still fearful of them?

As for the 2010 comment, it's no secret that MS have made a lot of mistakes in the last decade plus but... Forza Horizon series is "shit"? Fight Sim too? Halo has had its problems but then we remember that the best FPS game on PS5 is PowerWash simulator...

Also, the PS3 barely outsold the 360 (assuming we trust Sony's numbers) despite the huge advantage it had from the previous generation. They got trounced in the US and UK by the 360 with only Japan predictably propping them up.

And to be fair, console sales have really declined this year overall.
GMtn8u8XYAA8ofJ.jpg

Haint

On one hand their best bet is making a Windows Steamdeck and Windows Steam Machine with a streamlined gaming specific version of Windows and full compatibility, but on the other hand they're never going to voluntarily give up the Xbox store revenue or paid online XBL Gold revenue, which dramatically lowers said device's appeal.

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I think their next few years look better than they have in a long while, assuming that their games hit well - Indiana Jones, Doom, Fable, Perfect Dark, Blade, etc.

Their strategy on the surface may seem tumultuous but it's just the slow transition, without much transparency, to becoming a full blown publisher. Looks like everything Activision and Bethesda is going to be day and date. It will be interesting to see what their traditional core studios (not made from acquisitions -- Fable, PD, Gears, etc) will do. Hopefully they also transition to day and date because Sony's role in the console market is too big to ignore.

I doubt I support Xbox hardware any further, but will gladly pay full retail price (which I prefer over GamePass) for their quality titles.

ZehDon

I don't see a mess, I just see growing pains. I've said it before: they can basically flip a switch software wise and become a full blown third party publisher overnight, but their hardware platforms are locked down. They can't make Xbox an open platform with the Series X and S hardware in the wild, and they're not ready to launch their new open platform hardware yet, so here we are in an awkward middle ground.

I imagine if the XBS hardware had of caught on ala Xbox 360, they might have gone another generation. But it didn't - mostly because it didn't have the necessary exclusives to drive adoption. So, Xbox lost the console war, and now they're becoming something else. If someone like Schrier can't deduce that, then he's either playing console wars for engagement and should be ignored, or is too dumb for anyone to listen to and should be ignored.

Last edited:
Sony have made mistakes time and again and I'm not sure why PlayStation would be immune from that, especially in light of recent failures.
When MS decided to enter the console market, they were genuinely fearful of Sony "owning the living room." Would anyone seriously say that Sony are overall a more successful company today than they were in the year 2000 and that MS are still fearful of them?

Also, the PS3 barely outsold the 360 (assuming we trust Sony's numbers) despite the huge advantage it had from the previous generation. They got trounced in the US and UK by the 360 with only Japan predictably propping them up.

pHH8YU.gif

Reactions: Det

xanaum

To me, it's already more than obvious, we're seeing the twilight of Xbox consoles. Microsoft's behavior reminds me of Sega with the Dreamcast decades ago. That feeling that they're just doing the bare minimum for a product that's going to be abandoned.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
To me, it's already more than obvious, we're seeing the twilight of Xbox consoles. Microsoft's behavior reminds me of Sega with the Dreamcast decades ago. That feeling that they're just doing the bare minimum for a product that's going to be abandoned.

Sega largely ripped the bandaid off They cut the price of the dreamcast to clear inventory, and quickly announced all their games were 3rd party and dreamcast was discontinued.

Because of digital royalties and gamepass, Microsoft is incentivized to slow roll this process as much as possible. Discontinuing Xbox would cost them billions in revenue and operating income.

They want to keep the illusion of being in competition. After 2025 and GTA6, I think that the shroud will be lowered.

It all just sounds like hopium to me.

Xbox is failing, therefore PlayStation must fail too.

Xbox is failing, therefore consoles are failing.

Cloud gaming is not that different from traditional consoles. The only real difference is that the consoles are in data centers that are then rented out. This also means the platform had to fund the cost of the hardware and the electricity to run these things.

Also, because it is renting, the customer find it easier to walk away and NOT invest in the platform, because they don't own anything. If I rent my car rather than owning it, i would find it easy to switch to a different rental service when ever I want and would have no loyalty.

Streaming just doesn't have any real benefits to both sides. It is too expensive to consumers for what it is offering and the platform doesn't want to invest in world network on their end.

There’s a small subset of people it would appeal to.

People who can’t afford a previous-gen console, let alone a current-gen one.

They just play maybe one game a year like EAFC or Madden, they don’t particularly care about performance or image quality and don’t even notice the lag.

Fess

This is why I don't think Microsoft can pull off the whole SteamOS on Windows idea. Basically adding a full-screen Xbox UI to Windows itself. They ought to do it, but it's a major engineering effort. If the Xbox division is still figuring out what to do with themselves, the Windows development side is probably not taking on such a big project.
I’m no software engineer but is it a big engineering effort to make a big screen mode? That’s basically all they need. Plus triggers to alt tab between launchers.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
All microsoft needs to do is have a couple of bangers lined up in a year and they will turn it around.

The console business is fucked, but give users good games and they will be fine

The issue they have to get over, is the first few plus 90 games are going ro be met with " paid shill reviews " until the quality becomes accepted.

The issue i think is it's going to take an industry crash before western games deliver.

Both MS and Sony are clearly fucked but Sony has the pleasure of being the lesser evil right now. MS has been fucked since Xbox one. Sony has been fucked since the latter half of ps4 it just takes a while for the user base to spot it. Which they are now.

RCU005

Correction, it’s western AAA that’s a fucking joke

Microsoft, EA, Ubisoft, Activision, Bethesda are all churning out crap.

Nintendo, Capcom, FromSoftware, SquareEnix, Namco and western indies are all churning out bangers right now.

Don't forget Sony is western now, which is very obvious by now...

Kumomeme

they only want to chase bussiness trend than focusing what they has in long term. they just want to gamble on quick success. they learn nothing from this generation failure. they keep racking their brain in hoping to stumble a miracle formula LMAO. Series S is a failure. Gamepass world domination is a failure. so now they saw a small but growing market of pc based handheld. once that stuff didnt go in the way they hope, whats next?

Sony and Nintendo are where they are not from overnight success. they took generations of failure learning & walking on same path toward the destination. but Microsoft is too hasty, impatient and greedy. they walk halfway, throw the map then jump to offroad. took mountain path, took a dive in ocean, side tracked to some jungle in hope to somehow to stumble a golden pyramid and now they are dreaming of taking on zip line. they steer away far and far from destination.

handheld? didnt they learn anything from Series S/X complaint from developers?

also they probably think their competitor merely Steamdeck and others handheld pc device out there but considering their position they might indirectly competing with Nintendo which is could be worse than Sony. heck, competing with those handhelds also basically similliar to console vs pc.

Last edited:

onQ123

All microsoft needs to do is have a couple of bangers lined up in a year and they will turn it around.

The console business is fucked, but give users good games and they will be fine

The issue they have to get over, is the first few plus 90 games are going ro be met with " paid shill reviews " until the quality becomes accepted.

The issue i think is it's going to take an industry crash before western games deliver.

Both MS and Sony are clearly fucked but Sony has the pleasure of being the lesser evil right now. MS has been fucked since Xbox one. Sony has been fucked since the latter half of ps4 it just takes a while for the user base to spot it. Which they are now.
Are you out of your mind?

Come back to reality

Cakeboxer

Gold Member
Microsoft could have released 10 console exclusive bangers each year since 2020 and Sony could have released only PS4 Remasters and it wouldn't have changed much. Exclusives are just a nice to have if you are not Nintendo.

Microsoft could have released 10 console exclusive bangers each year since 2020 and Sony could have released only PS4 Remasters and it wouldn't have changed much. Exclusives are just a nice to have if you are not Nintendo.

Exclusives are just one piece of the puzzle, but they shouldn’t be written off.

The double whammy for Xbox this year hasn’t just been a lack of first party exclusives, but third party too.

Missing out on Black Myth Wukong has done them no favours whatsoever.

Cakeboxer

Gold Member

The double whammy for Xbox this year hasn’t just been a lack of first party exclusives, but third party too.

Xbox is done since Xbox One. They droped the ball when they had it and Sony won't drop it again. I'm 100% sure Xbox will stop making consoles after the next gen and only publish games.

Xbox is done since Xbox One. They droped the ball when they had it and Sony won't drop it again. I'm 100% sure Xbox will stop making consoles after the next gen and only publish games.

But if despite going day 1 3rd party there’s still about 10 million people who will buy a next gen Xbox console and they can make a profit from it, then I don’t think they should drop Xbox entirely.

There’s still a loyal fan base out there, even if it’s quite small.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

This sounds like the end user is the problem, then.

TBiddy

Another issue is the lack of innovation. I prefer the layout of the Xbox-controllers, but the controller itself hasn't really changed in... 15 years? Why not?

Cakeboxer

Gold Member
But if despite going day 1 3rd party there’s still about 10 million people who will buy a next gen Xbox console and they can make a profit from it, then I don’t think they should drop Xbox entirely.

There’s still a loyal fan base out there, even if it’s quite small.
Not worth the effort. The development of a console is very expensive you usually lose money on the hardware. If i remember correctly Sony and Microsoft lost billions on Ps3/360. Also the less Microsoft sells the easier and cheaper Sony gets 3rd party deals and prevent Game Pass deals and let them bleed out completely

Sw0pDiller

Why would Xbox try to make another console? Just let steam breng the deck 2.0 and sell optimized software on it. Just go all software that were the money is. Ms would love to buy steam one day when gabe died.

Cyberpunkd

Their strategy on the surface may seem tumultuous but it's just the slow transition, without much transparency, to becoming a full blown publisher.
But why? Their strategy at the very core of starting Xbox was to win battle over the living room - then they wanted to add TV services to it, gaming was just a way into people's homes. I don't think one of the largest software companies in the world with operations like Azure cares a whole lot about being a games publisher.

Because Steam and Windows are open platforms, and that means that handheld would be able to run all sorts of shit that Microsoft would never, ever greenlight in a million years.

Can you imagine the fallout if some parent found their kid playing Anime Rape Simulator 5000 on their Xbox portable?

Not to mention that having a walled garden where you alone get to decide what people can buy and play and get a cut from every sale is the entire point of modern consoles. Why would Microsoft sell a portable with thousands of games they won't ever see a single cent from?

They want you to subscribe to gamepass. They don’t care if you buy something on Steam because the real revenue will come from gamepass.

The next Xbox is rumored to dual boot Steam.

Fess

ask epic if it's hard to do
I don’t think anyone besides Valve has even tried.

Simple solution, can’t they just full screen the launcher and have controller support?

I remember someone saying that you can install Windows in kiosk mode already, so for Microsoft it should be a piece of cake to do this, they already have the foundation and the Xbox UI to iterate on.
For maximum excitement they should use the 360 blades UI. Triggers to swap launcher and have Steam, Epic, Ubisoft there as well besides Xbox and Gamepass library. Then make it possible to boot in regular Windows mode for the full file access PC experience.

Eye of sauron is on xbox division now. Maybe dont be so greedy next time and try to buy the entire industry eh.
It would have worked if the pesky government regulators hadn't stepped in and made sure they weren't able to complete step 2 of the Master Plan:

(1) Buy the entire industry
(2) Make the entire industry exclusive to Xbox
(3) Kill Sony
(4) Profit!!!!!

Not worth the effort. The development of a console is very expensive you usually lose money on the hardware. If i remember correctly Sony and Microsoft lost billions on Ps3/360. Also the less Microsoft sells the easier and cheaper Sony gets 3rd party deals and prevent Game Pass deals and let them bleed out completely

Since you put it that way, no it’s probably not worth creating a next gen console.

What a mess!

Roberts

Listen, they are clearly having huge problems and it seems like leadership doesn't exactly have the same vision about its future. Obviously it worries me, as someone who decided to stick with their ecosystem.

But as long as they finance games like Pentiment, Forza Horizon, Sea of Thieves, Grounded, Hellblade 2, Wasteland 3, Hi-Fi Rush (I know, I know), MFS, Starfield, I will be a happy gamer.

Listen, they are clearly having huge problems and it seems like leadership doesn't exactly have the same vision about its future. Obviously it worries me, as someone who decided to stick with their ecosystem.

But as long as they finance games like Pentiment, Forza Horizon, Sea of Thieves, Grounded, Hellblade 2, Wasteland 3, Hi-Fi Rush (I know, I know), MFS, Starfield, I will be a happy gamer.

The concern is where will these future games be?

The current assumption is Xbox, PC, PS5 and possibly Switch 2

But what about in 5 years time, will there even be an Xbox? If not, do you go to PS6 or PC?

Top Bottom