• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jedi Survivor sees 20-30 FPS gains on all PCs after Denuvo removal

Draugoth

Gold Member

When it was released, Star Wars Jedi: Survivor was criticized for its performance on PC, but through various updates, Respawn has managed to significantly improve the game's performance. With the latest update, some players have already reported a significant improvement in performance, with 20 to 30 more frames per second, as shown by YouTuber Sky Knight Benchmark.

via IGN

Luipadre

Gold Member
Let me see if I'm understanding this correctly. In order to protect their game from being stolen, they implemented DRM that trashed the performance? The poor performance is why I didn't buy it in the first place!

Its bullshit. You dont get 30 fps plus by removing denuvo. They optimized it. Its another one of those false narratives you find on the internet everyday.

SScorpio

Its bullshit. You dont get 30 fps plus by removing denuvo. They optimized it. Its another one of those false narratives you find on the internet everyday.
If the game was really poorly coded it could. Denuvo has hooks, put those in the wrong and it could tank performance. 30 fps is very extreme.

But it definitely contributes to all of the micro-stuttering that game had.

HL3.exe

Was it denuvo or optimization? Probably the latter. Denuvo is not THAT bad
Denuvo leeches stable frame times and creates slightly longer load times, which is what Survivor suffers from + a myriad of crazy things like animation not syncing up with refresh rate.

But true, denuvo isn't as much of performance slurping DRM as most think. It's been 10 years since it's first iteration of the DRM and there's still no straight empirical evidence of it degrading performance, apart from some examples of CPU frame times/load times in specific cases. (AC origins as an example). But most cases there's no difference.

Edit: Don't mistake this as some sort of defense of denuvo, is a wished it would fuck off. Games releasing without Denuvo seem to sell just as fine.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Is it *just* denuvo or a combination of the other updates the PC version had been sorely lacking for a while?

simpatico

Gold Member
Been trying to get into this on Gamepass. It's fine, but I really have to make myself boot it up. Not getting its hooks in. Does it pick up after 4-5 hours?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
That's why I was excited for the PS4 and X1X versions.

It had the potential to make the PC version better.

Happy to see the performance gains.

night13x

people who still defend denuvo must like the taste of boot leather.

Denuvo is very anti-consumer - and the fps drop isn't the only issue it brings. Certain games shown denuvo causes stutters, steam deck - changing deck settings too many times can cause a 24-48h lockout, etc.

When I pay with my hard earned money to own a game, then I should own a game. I don't need a periodic check to make sure I still own the game.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
But true, denuvo isn't as much of performance slurping DRM as most think. It's been 10 years since it's first iteration of the DRM and there's still no straight empirical evidence of it degrading performance, apart from some examples of CPU frame times/load times in specific cases
That's because Denuvo doesn't have 'a cost' in of itself - it's not something you 'implement' into your games either. it's a binary transformation process - that is intended to target sensitive part of the codebase. If you transform performance sensitive parts - you can absolutely tank framerate - but likewise, it can have 0% effect on everything in actual runtime (including load times).

HL3.exe

That's because Denuvo doesn't have 'a cost' in of itself - it's not something you 'implement' into your games either. it's a binary transformation process - that is intended to target sensitive part of the codebase. If you transform performance sensitive parts - you can absolutely tank framerate - but likewise, it can have 0% effect on everything in actual runtime (including load times).
Yeah, that's way it fucked and unfair if you have a aging CPU or are CPU-bound. It'll unnecessarily eat in you 1% lows.

Last edited:

violence

I’ll check this out. I can’t imagine the stuttering is fixed. It was never fixed in the first game right?

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Yeah, that's way it fucked and unfair if you have a aging CPU or are CPU-bound. It'll unnecessarily eat in you 1% lows.
Yea but that means they touched stuff they shouldn't have.
I've had the (mis)fortune of shipping Denuvo enabled VR titles - where CPU spikes/stutter are drastically more noticeable than any normal software, and the entry-level hardware for it was laughably low (contrary to popular assumption that VR was only for high-end rigs). And the titles in question never had performance issues because of it.
But we did have to go through a few cycles of fixing things that shouldn't be touched by the protection.

HL3.exe

Yea but that means they touched stuff they shouldn't have.
I've had the (mis)fortune of shipping Denuvo enabled VR titles - where CPU spikes/stutter are drastically more noticeable than any normal software, and the entry-level hardware for it was laughably low (contrary to popular assumption that VR was only for high-end rigs). And the titles in question never had performance issues because of it.
But we did have to go through a few cycles of fixing things that shouldn't be touched by the protection.
Makes sense. That's why you see some titles with denuvo have slight performance degradation, and some (I'd say most) don't.

Wildebeest

I'm totally shocked. I fully believed the shills who said that Denuvo, if properly implemented, makes your game run just as fast or faster, all while making your bones stronger.

Skifi28

Doesn't it run like shite on console?
I finished it a few months ago after the patch that removed RT in performance mode and it ran surprisingly well on PS5. Even image quality was decent-ish (it went from something like 600p with FSR2 to 900p with FSR2). You'd still get the occasional stutter when running around on Koboh specifically and once in a while you'd find a random room where framerate would tank for no apparent reason, but 95% of the experience was 60fps while looking ok-ish.

nikolino840

people who still defend denuvo must like the taste of boot leather.

Denuvo is very anti-consumer - and the fps drop isn't the only issue it brings. Certain games shown denuvo causes stutters, steam deck - changing deck settings too many times can cause a 24-48h lockout, etc.

When I pay with my hard earned money to own a game, then I should own a game. I don't need a periodic check to make sure I still own the game.
But devs doesn't like piracy..ah..i know! Gamers are for the devs only for the gamepass "microsoft don't pay devs!! Game Pass are ruining the devs!!"

violence

Running around the Koboh area I’m still getting small hitches here and there, but not the giant stutters that I got in the first area when the game game first came out.

3080 12gb
Intel 13th

Edit: Never mind, this is still pretty stuttery

Last edited:

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Say what you will about denuvo, but it is still nearly unhackable unlike a few years ago. None of the game with denuvo can be pirated, except for hogwart legacy, but you would be stuck on the unpatch horrible performance verision. Unlike before this is a value added for developer, I am surprise not more game using it.

Mr.Phoenix

Take a good Look folks, this is what CPU optimization looks like.

Notice from the video in patch 8 (frame gen off) CPU utilization sat at around 35-50%?

In patch 9 it goes up to 65%....

that's is what happens when you optimize the game for the CPU.

Kacho

Gold Member
Running around the Koboh area I’m still getting small hitches here and there, but not the giant stutters that I got in the first area when the game game first came out.

3080 12gb
Intel 13th

Edit: Never mind, this is still pretty stuttery
In the distant future we will all have super computers capable of brute forcing this game, maybe.

Hot5pur

Time to buy it. Having a backlog is nice, easy to wait for games to get fixed and pick them up dirt cheap. Appreciate everyone willing to beta test in the meantime.

Top Bottom