• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grubb: A State of Play is scheduled for September

ProtoByte

Weeb Underling
angry adam devine GIF by Comedy Central
I have (mostly), nothing against Kojima, but come on man. DS2 will literally do nothing to appeal to anyone who isn't already in deep love with Death Stranding. It's not satisfactory to most of the fanbase.

ProtoByte

Weeb Underling
I seriously don't think they have enough to show right now to even warrant a full blown showcase
I'm gonna say it. WFH has clearly hurt dev productivity and game quality. The office in Redwood California isn't a sweat shop. Get back in and get to fucking work. It has been 4+ years for full teams to get something to show. And if Sony thinks it's a good idea to have 2-3 years of an excitement drought so as not to "put pressure on teams", they're stupid.

GOT 2 would be a godsend reveal. Definitely down for that.
If I was going to be satisfied by that alone, Ghost 2 would have to look like a new IP with cutting edge graphics, AI, a new gameplay loop/formula, and visibly improved storytelling/writing. I don't think it's a good idea to expect that, and so I would expect, at the tail end of 2024, we have some more announcements other than a sequel to least of the best the last gen had to offer.

ZehDon

This is what I meant earlier about blaming consumers and no other companies coming. Claiming MS is no competition is crazy with how much they spend and how much they've tried. No one else will ever try entering the console market.

How many years would it take Samsung to get to where Xbox is in terms of 1st party, hardware, cloud infrastructure, sub? No one is coming.
Well said.

I laughed about it back during the ABK non-sense, but I think it's worth repeating here: Sony won the console wars. Game over, they got the crown. Sweet... now what? Well, we all get to see what happens, and as of today, it's not looking so good. If Xbox can actually deliver a solid next-gen handheld, I'll probably go another gen with Xbox in that form factor. If their hardware stinks, for me, I think I'm all in on PC. The console space is languishing.

But they are selling tons of PS5s and their profits are at a all time high so we should just stop complaining and be happy.
Right, I understand that and I'm happy for the brand as a whole, but this is not the Playstation brand that I grew to love. I grew up primarily with PS2 and PS3 games. So many great single player games with fun multiplayer or co-op tact on.

But even PS1 and PS2 and PS4 eras were much closer to the PS3 era than this PS5 generation is. This huge market shift towards these co-op only games kinda sucks. It would be fine if they would throw some good first party IP's in every 3 years or so. But these dev cycles are horrible and much of it has to do with the mismanagement of the brand.

saintjules

Gold Member
We know about the Pro. The large majority of its customer base still doesn't know that Pro exists - let alone its specs.

Sometimes, we forget that we are the very small minority of hardcore fans who follow news and talk about said news all day. The overwhelming majority of PS customer base doesn't.

The showcases are mostly for them. The rest of us already know 80% of the content due to educated guesses and closely following leaks and rumors.

I would tend to think most people who would watch a showcase know about the Pro

These. I think most forget that what we are on forums/social media on a daily basis to where this information is regularly commented on. Most of the people out there have no idea rumors of a Pro even exists.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
These. I think most forget that what we are on forums/social media on a daily basis to where this information is regularly commented on. Most of the people out there have no idea rumors of a Pro even exists.
I do think the target audience of a Pro likely most of those people already know about it

I doubt many gamers who would want a Pro would be shocked by all of sudden seeing one sitting on a shelf at WalMart

kaizenkko

If they manage to do a State of Play like that they have in january (Death Stranding 2 trailer, Physint reveal), it can be good. Show us Wolverine, Death Stranding 2, Ghost of Tsushima 2, Marathon, etc.

Nydius

Many of us are wondering the exact same thing.

I’m with you on that. Putting aside Nintendo because the Switch is in its own little bubble between multiple generations, this generation has been a disappointment in terms of first party output for both PlayStation and Xbox.

PlayStation is doing better than Xbox with getting games out, to be sure, but they’re a long, long way from their Gen 7 heyday. The vast majority of memorable games I’ve played this Gen have been third party exclusive or third party multiplatform — and many of those have been cross-gen titles at that.

Little Mac

Gold Member
I really can't wait for the pro. Hope I can snag one on launch somehow. Regardless, I wish Sony would invest more development time into unique and polished AA games. I think 1 or 2 smaller titles in-between their big franchises release would do wonders for their platform and user base. Games like Ico, Parapa, Gravity Rush, Patapon, Ape Escape etc serve a tremendous purpose.

Last edited:
iu
they should do the one like with the weird guy playing the flute for 2 hours 🤣
By far one of the sickest presentations they ever pulled off. Not sure if they'll ever top this for the foreseeable future.

Maybe the Gears of War reboot will make Sony create a new Killzone, now seeing that would be wild.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I was pretty fired up about Wolverine at one point but since then things have me very concerned what they are going to do with this game

2THBvVp.png

Plus Jean Grey will 100% be more manly than Wolverine

No way Jean Grey will be more manly than Wolverine. Literally NO WAY!

sachos

Bro there is no way they actually reveal the Pro in a SoP. Come on Sony we need the big guns, we need a full Showcase. Remember E3 2016? Yeah, we will never see something like that again huh?

Emilijo

Neo Member
I think Sony could reveal Gran Turismo 8 at State of Play. GT7 is already 2,5 years old. Polyphony announced Sport 1 year and 10 months after GT6 release, GT7 2 years and 8 months after Sport release.

Sanepar

I think Sony could reveal Gran Turismo 8 at State of Play. GT7 is already 2,5 years old. Polyphony announced Sport 1 year and 10 months after GT6 release, GT7 2 years and 8 months after Sport release.
It is a state of play not a showcase. It will have wolverine, spider man spin off and a bunch of crap third party stuff.

I would love a current gen only GT8 but I don't think it will happen anytime soon. Hope I'm wrong.

It is a state of play not a showcase. It will have wolverine, spider man spin off and a bunch of crap third party stuff.

At this point I'm not expecting anything from Sony. They used to be a hype machine but this gen has been awful in terms of announcements.

PS: LOL at your nickname. I have a few shares of Sanepar.

Which PlayStation Studio should have released a game by now that hasn’t?
How many new games did Naughty Dog release during the PS3 or PS4 generation? How many new games have they released this generation? Same question for Insomniac. And where's Bend studio?

They've all been fucked over by Jim Ryan's live service mandate.

Last edited:

Markio128

Gold Member
How many new games did Naughty Dog release during the PS3 or PS4 generation? How many new games have they released this generation? Same question for Insomniac. And where's Bend studio?

You may have a point with ND, but I’m not sure why you have mentioned Insomniac.

I think ND, Bend and SSM are all working on new IPs, so I imagine this has been the biggest barrier, rather than the push for live service games.

No way Jean Grey will be more manly than Wolverine. Literally NO WAY!
MJ was stronger than SM in SM2, so JG will be for sure stronger than Logan. Probably like she-Hulk she will preach about her hardships in comparison to Wolverine's. Like she-Hulk was preaching about her having it tough with catcalling in comparison to Bruce Banner. JG will preach about being a female X-Men in comparison to Wolverine Weapon X and stuff. "Mental pain of being a woman as X-Men is incomparable to what you have gone through Logan. And I have to live with it every day".

Last edited:

Elios83

The live service strategy has been handled mostly by new studios acquired for the purpose.
Insomniac has been super prolific on PS5 releasing Miles Morales, Spiderman 2 and a new Ratchet and Clank with many other games in development.
Bend is just developing their next project taking the time they need, they also needed to find their way after Days Gone didn't turn out the hit they wanted and that took time with different ideas and prototypes (and it's not even clear if they have helped with a new Uncharted).
While it sucks that Naughty Dog had a multiplayer game cancellation (based on the multiplayer mode of TLOU2 that was in development before the gaas push) and this is going to have an impact on their release schedule, the reality is that most studios are simply cooking stuff that take 5 years to be done and Sony does not have 50 studios.
Plus they have changed their marketing so previously there could be 3-4 years between announcement and release, people knew what to expect and just waited, now they won't announce anything until it's way closer to release so some people are nervous they don't know unannounced stuff already.

Last edited:

SHA

This gen is so light, I could literally handle every major game without missing anything, what happened to abundance? we should get more than what an average person could handle.

Honestly, I don't care if its a showcase or a state of play. All I want is to see good high quality games. Remember how bad their last showcase was? It was one of the worst shows they have ever done. So its the content that matters. The way they present it doesn't really matter.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
We’re not in the PS3 or PS4 generation anymore. Games got considerably longer and more expensive to make and they just released TLoU2 in 2020. Their next game was always going to be 2025 if it was an iterative TLoU3 or later if it was a new IP.
They’ve been largely unaffected by the Live Service stuff. The team that made TLoU2 was put on the next big project, largely intact, right away.

saintjules

Gold Member
This gen is so light, I could literally handle every major game without missing anything, what happened to abundance? we should get more than what an average person could handle.

Dang. I have a backlog. Maybe you can help me finish it. I've semi-retired from a number of games this gen.

SHA

Dang. I have a backlog. Maybe you can help me finish it. I've semi-retired from a number of games this gen.
Do you read documents? I don't, I skip them, I've been playing games for more than 30 years, I'm used to what's written in these documents, I don't read them, it's more satisfying this way, believe me.

Last edited:

SHA

Also, eat right, use every possible diet tips to keep you awake the whole day, just remember being thin doesn't mean healthy.

Last edited:

Parazels

I wonder how they are going to show off difference between graphics on PS5 and PS5 Pro. The visible difference should convince the audience, aside from good specs.

HogIsland

I wonder how they are going to show off difference between graphics on PS5 and PS5 Pro. The visible difference should convince the audience, aside from good specs.
Pretty annoying when we've still haven't got the PS5 2nd wave games, especially from a first party. The fact that we're going to have the Pro before the first true next-gen project from Naughty Dog makes me want to stop buying Playstations.

Top Bottom