• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jez Corden - "I've been told that Microsoft is actively working with Capcom to fix MT Framework issues on Xbox"

Draugoth

Gold Member
During the latest episode of the Xbox Two podcast (around the 2:09:40 timestamp), Jez says Microsoft lost their grip on the FGC starting wirh Street Fighter 5 and

"...the ongoing issue with MT Framework and Capcom games, which are skipping [Xbox] for technology reasons, really from what I've been told. But I've also been told that Microsoft is actively working on it with Capcom. I think Microsoft has identified that having Capcom's back catalog not present on Xbox for a technology reason is not a great look."

diffusionx

Gold Member
The question is does Capcom think it is worth it to keep maintaining Xbox support in the engine and to keep porting games. Evidently not and they've been okay with it. If Xbox sold as many systems as PS they would have done it. I highly doubt MS will be willing to maintain their engine for them.

And yea, paying for exclusivity on SF5 (even though the game sucked at launch) and buying EVO were brilliant moves by Sony.

Last edited:

TheBomb

I’m sure Microsoft knew of the issue. They had other pressing issues going on. I guess Microsoft will pay the bill.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
So what they're saying is buy all the BC stuff now before 7/29 and it might eventually work. Maybe.

intbal

Ok.
So when are they gonna fix RE Engine "issues" on Xbox?
The checkerboard reconstruction is still broken in Dragon's Dogma 2.

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief and Nosiest Dildo Archeologist
My face when;

AdcWzTp.png

MikeM

Gold Member
If they had sold more consoles they would have overcome these technology issues a long time ago. In reality it is a business decision.
Right? Play Anywhere does have consequences when you make your home box unappealing to buy over the others.

intbal

Per DF and the latest patch, it's pretty much fixed.

These are my images after the latest patch.

First is a crop of a native 4K image
E1zVvcX.png

Those strange looking line-pairs existed at launch, but they were vertically aligned. It seems all Capcom did was rotate the pattern.

Here is a closeup of the pattern
I7QlMqW.png

Unless they've released a new patch in the last three weeks, this is how the game will still present on Xbox.

Hah - fun fact; the issues have nothing to do with MT Framework. There are MT Framework titles that are on XSS and XSX. I'm sure SVC: Chaos also ran on MT Framework, huh Jez?

Seriously, when are folks going to stop listening to a word this man says? I'd be more understanding if he did anything but just invent things out of whole cloth to simply defend MS.

The question is does Capcom think it is worth it to keep maintaining Xbox support in the engine and to keep porting games. Evidently not and they've been okay with it. If Xbox sold as many systems as PS they would have done it. I highly doubt MS will be willing to maintain their engine for them.
Funny you should say this, cause I know now that, had certain publishers been made aware that MS' situation in the market was going to become this dire this quickly, they wouldn't have released certain ongoing GAAS titles on the platform, given just how absolutely little the returns have been, and they aren't alone in their thinking.

If Jez feels that he needs to be point man on every 3rd party game that decides to skip Xbox, then hes gonna be unbelievably busy in 2025 and 2026. I get the feeling the fans will get the message long before Jez gives up thinking he is some media attack dog for MS on the topic of dropping software support for the console.

Last edited:

Soltype

Okay I'm confused about this, are they saying that Capcom skipped Xbox because of Mt framework? aren't there already mt framework games on the Xbox One/series x?

Okay I'm confused about this, are they saying that Capcom skipped Xbox because of Mt framework? aren't there already mt framework games on the Xbox One/series x?
Not long after a few titles started skipping Xbox, a few folks start speculating baselessly that it was due to MT Framework. This is just demonstrably not true, for a number of reasons.

At the end of the day, if Capcom felt it was financially viable to release the games that skipped Xbox (and do trust - more titles from other publishers as well as Capcom will increasingly begin skipping the platform) on the current Xbox platform, they'd do everything in their power to release on the console. Its simple economics really.

Also - MT Framework itself is the predecessor to RE Engine. One was built on top of the other, much like UE3->UE4->UE5.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I seriously want to know how Monster Hunter World recently got a NTSC-J version on Xbox One if this is the case.

It's been a weird and unsubstantiated thing that MT Framework doesn't work well with modern Xbox consoles, makes no sense as there's multiple games both of the gen and BC which are MT Framework and run just fine on Xbox.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
LOST PLANET: Extreme Conditions servers being turned back on?

bitbydeath

Hah - fun fact; the issues have nothing to do with MT Framework. There are MT Framework titles that are on XSS and XSX. I'm sure SVC: Chaos also ran on MT Framework, huh Jez?

Seriously, when are folks going to stop listening to a word this man says? I'd be more understanding if he did anything but just invent things out of whole cloth to simply defend MS.
Even if it were true we already know this is MS’s last console. It’s a non-issue that will resolve itself in 2-3 years when they switch to a PC OEM.

These are my images after the latest patch.

First is a crop of a native 4K image
E1zVvcX.png

Those strange looking line-pairs existed at launch, but they were vertically aligned. It seems all Capcom did was rotate the pattern.

Here is a closeup of the pattern
I7QlMqW.png

Unless they've released a new patch in the last three weeks, this is how the game will still present on Xbox.
That's DF the great graphical analysts for you missing loads of such stuff since last gen. It was really easy for them when the 360 was the console of choice for 3rd party games.

WildBoy

But if Xbox was selling millions more consoles and was market leader or at least a significant player surely the economics would make sense to do the work. So it's a business decision. The two are not necessarily mutually exclusive.
So why isn't cod on switch? It makes economic sense. So why not? Why isn't genshin impact?

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
So why isn't cod on switch? It makes economic sense. So why not? Why isn't genshin impact?
Business reasons. It makes economic sense now but Activision didn't foresee the success that Switch would have. I think Bobby Kottick said in the MS deal investigation that it was a mistake not to and that they probably would in the future.

I would say that this is also possibly a case of false equivalency, Switch uses a significantly different architecture to other consoles this gen and last and Nintendo were coming off the back of a failed console. These factors are not the case for Xbox.

demigod

No the reality is Capcom doesn't have a MT pipeline for Xbox anymore. So it's a technical reason.
Leave it to manabyte to shill for xbox in every thread instead of calling them out.

Jez probably saw Jawmunchers post on reeeeee and ran with it, both idiots. Thank God you shut this shit down for good once and for all.

Three

Funny you should say this, cause I know now that, had certain publishers been made aware that MS' situation in the market was going to become this dire this quickly, they wouldn't have released certain ongoing GAAS titles on the platform, given just how absolutely little the returns have been, and they aren't alone in their thinking.
Is FF14 one of those titles?

cireza

Gold Member
Also LOL @ implying MS ever had a grip on FGC
They certainly had until Sony bought out Street Fighter IV and V. People probably like to forget that the 360 was the actual preferred console for SF at the EVO, until SF got locked on PS4 by Sony.

Despite causing some consternation when Evo announced it would switch over to PS4, the official USF4 tournament (pretty much Evo's headline event) will now be played on Xbox 360, same as it was last year.
Ultra Street Fighter 4's launch on PS4 isn't going so well. The new-gen port of Capcom's flagship fighting game that arrived yesterday is reportedly loaded with glitches both hilarious and frustrating.

Sony eventually bought Evo in the end.

Last edited:

Three

They certainly had until Sony bought out Street Fighter IV and V. People probably like to forget that the 360 was the actual preferred console for SF at the EVO, until SF got locked on PS4 by Sony.

Sony eventually bought Evo in the end.
They switched to PS4 on SF4 in 2016. Sony bought Evo in 2021, what are you on about?

Astray

Always find it funny when Xbox insiders come out with reassurances like that.

You would think that the guys feeding them that info would actually try to not have issues with decades-old games skipping their platform in the 1st place!

They switched to PS4 on SF4 in 2016. Sony bought Evo in 2021, what are you on about?
It's the Phil Spencer mentality: All Xbox faults have to be laid at the Sony doorstep. Sony has to get written permission from Xbox to do anything apparently.

They had in-roads with Killer Instinct and being the default ecosystem due to better online gaming services, but they couldn't see the value of the FGC and eSports scene, and actively fucked with people who were working on that for them, so no wonder Sony pounced.

If you don't compete, don't expect others to give you free favors just because.

This guy lives off of hopium. I also blame Jawmuncher for sewing the seeds for this rumor back in June when they made that Twitter post about it being MT Framework-related. All of these people pretend as if Capcom don't have their own sales data to use as a guide. They do, and they've decided Xbox isn't a good fit for B2P sales of these types of games.

Capcom have the sales numbers to prove this, they also have probably seen data from other publishers of similar titles on Xbox this gen and the last generation, too. For example, they might talk with people at other companies who relay info in private, stuff we wouldn't even know about for years, or decades....or ever.

And of course in the ResetERA thread, fanboys in perpetuity like Vigilante Joker are fighting for Xbox's life trying to back up Jez's rumor, a rumor he's probably basing off a Jawmuncher post which has no validity itself. But I also saw this:

pdNSzLO.jpeg

And look, I like Nightdive. I super-appreciate what they're doing for retro PC games like System Shock, we need more of that in the industry. But this take ain't it, chief. The sales ratios you're referring to are probably your own games, in which case yes, the ratios wouldn't look like this. Why? Because the games you guys focus on are FPS titles. FPS games are probably the most popular genre on Xbox in dollars-sense, in fact the genre is likely overrepresented on Xbox relative the install base, compared to other platforms.

Meaning, Xbox will probably have stronger-than-expected sales performance for many of those types of games relative its install base, to make the ratio of such games on it closer to sales ratios on other platforms for those titles. But those are FPS titles; even then, it depends on specific ones. Maybe with your games, Xbox sales ratios are closer to PS, PC & Switch (or maybe even better than Switch in this case), but you're using anecdotal evidence to argue a macro reality that has tons of evidence to counter you.

We've even seen from prior Capcom fiscal reports, that Xbox as a platform has not contributed too greatly towards B2P sales of new releases (be they wholly brand-new games or re-releases of catalog titles), for the past few years now. The same can be said for most Japanese games on the platform, actually. This is context you need to understand (yes I'm aiming this specifically at Edward850).

And you or anyone else can get into a discussion about how much Game Pass might or might not have played into creating a lukewarm B2P market on Xbox consoles for various types of games, but that'd be another conversation.

Jez corden has fuckall insider knowledge, stop placating the fatty and his nonsense

It's...complicated. I do think he has someone at Microsoft Gaming that will coordinate official news to him a bit early, to help "message" it and put it out publicly. But with that stuff he writes Windows Central articles.

Though, I also feel sometimes these speculations he makes, some of them at least, are done with already getting a "tip" from that type of inside person that something official is heading that way....though a lot of times it a way opposite to what Jez puts out publicly in that speculation. The whole thing with MS going multi-console earlier this year is a perfect example of that.

IMO I think Jez already had word that the rumor was true, and he was to write up an article once MS were ready to make it official. But prior, he just played the role of an Xbox diehard and spoke "for" them, hence why he vehemently refuted the rumor when many others were saying it was likely true. Remember, MS outright use the access media/press to gauge and communicate to the public on their behalf, put out "feelers" for where gamers are leaning, and control public sentiment. There was an article about it earlier this year.

So people like Jez, IMO, are 100% a part of that clique. That's why I won't write off them having any insider info when it comes to MS; I think he does, but not in a way an independent "real" source doing it behind Microsoft's back would. He's very much a controlled plant, a favored one (I'd put others like Tom Warren, Parris and Jeff Grubb in similar territory), and gets fed official stuff "a bit ahead" of when Microsoft wants to make it public so people like him can message it "correctly" to make Microsoft look as favorable as possible.

Last edited:

cireza

Gold Member
Simply answering to people implying that Xbox never had a role in the FGC. Read the thread.

Which is wrong by the way, as Xbox were forced out by the exclusivity deal between Sony/Capcom to force USFVI and SFV on PS4, including of course the Evo tournament on PS4 while the preferred console was the 360. But it didn't quite happen as expected. Facts.

Last edited:

Three

Simply answering to people implying that Xbox never had a role in the FGC. Read the thread.
I read the thread fine but you said "Sony bought out Street Fighter IV" when they didn't and 360 was preferred until "SF got locked on PS4 by Sony", and "Sony bought Evo". That's all unrelated nonsense and it's clear what you're trying to imply. That PS was somehow forced to be the preferred console for Evo.

SFV was exclusively on PS4 with a deal made 2014 or prior. SFIV though Evo kept using 360 until 2016. The PS4 version of USF4 released in 2015 and even then they used the 360 version because the PS4 port wasn't as stable until it was patched. Has nothing to do with the exclusivity deal for SF5 and nothing to do with them co-owning Evo in 2021. Evo used what was best for the tournament.

cireza

Gold Member
SFIV though Evo kept using 360 until 2016. The PS4 version of USF4 released in 2015 and even then they used the 360 version because the PS4 port wasn't as stable until it was patched.
Congratulations you successfully read my post. This is indeed what happened, but the intention from Sony was to enforce playing it on PS4. Reminder that Sony developed this port themselves by the way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom