• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable OT What a Beautiful Duwang

cntr

Banned
For reference, the canon stats are: Josuke is 185 cm/6 feet, Jotaro is 195 cm/6 feet 3 inches, Okuyasu 178 cm/5 feet 10 inches, and Koichi 157 cm/5 feet 2 inches (but drawn shorter).

Sou Da

Damn thats a lot of paper.
Also I'm still trying to figure out why my girlfriend constantly refers to Rohan as the ultimate Husbando. I don't see it yet.

Tr3JJWc.gif

Tall4Life

I wonder if Rohan's character is maybe a rib on some manga artist friend that Araki has. Either way, good episode, it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

Nottle

So Koichi and Josuke are the same age huh? How come Josuke is three times as tall? :p

I find that a lot of Japanese media doesn't really care about scale as much as they like things looking appealing. Josuke changes artstyle a lot along with every character in part 4. Early part 4 manga chapters gave Koichi much more believable proportions while Josuke along with Okuyasu and Jotaro were Kenshiro bulked out. They slim down, Koichi becomes more chibi for a bit. The anime is going with the more the stylized Koichi.

Really give part 4's manga a look, it changes art style like every 20 chapters, it's nuts.

Also I quite like Koichi's small stature. I think it fits his character. He is humble and his size demonstrates that. In the manga Hazamada and Tamani were probably more swole or as swole as Josuke but after they become friends with a nice guy like Koichi they are drawn like him. I thought it was a clever us of the medium, these bullies were put in their place and have a more humble nature, so naturally they are Koichi's size. Also Koichi is supposed to remind the viewer of cell saga Gohan who many readers around that time were familiar with because part 4 and The cell saga of DBZ were published alongside eachother in Shonen jump around that time.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Dio was an evil vampire, which just goes to show.

I imagine the posing gene comes from Dio, not the Jostar's family tree.

Xanathus

Can someone remind/explain to me why Hazamada is all buddy-buddy with Koichi despite how evil he was? He made someone stab themselves in the eyeball with a pen.

Can someone remind/explain to me why Hazamada is all buddy-buddy with Koichi despite how evil he was? He made someone stab themselves in the eyeball with a pen.
He's a shitbag. He made his classmate stab himself and wants to rape Junko. Koichi has poor choice in friends. No dignity. Im going to stop hanging out with him

It's really only over their mutual love of Pink Dark Boy. Plus, Araki has a little bit of fun with him because most readers/viewers are like "Geez, Hazamada is in this episode/chapter? but he's a total shitbag" and then Rohan reads his info and is like "wow you're a shitbag i wouldn't put you in my manga". It's all very meta.

Nottle

Is it ever explained what exactly allows someone to have stand potential?
Honestly the best thing to say is fate.

I mean babies have the willpower to have stands, but Holly doesn't?

Some people have it because they are born that way, some get it because of some sort of trauma sort of like xmen, some get it via the arrow.

ReiGun

I was wondering that too. Koichi has to be the most forgiving dude in the world to hang out with someone who was trying to murder Jotaro.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly the best thing to say is fate.

I mean babies have the willpower to have stands, but Holly doesn't?

Some people have it because they are born that way, some get it because of some sort of trauma sort of like xmen, some get it via the arrow.

The Holly plot made less sense to me as more Stand users got introduced in Part 3. Why is she the only one getting killed by her Stand? Why would killing Dio solve her problem and why doesn't it affect any of the other Stand users? And why do they know for a fact that killing Dio will have this effect for her? Did I miss something obvious in those first episodes?

NEO0MJ

If you look back, most JoJo's made friends with some pretty aggressive men. I mean, Jonathan's best friend was a guy who wanted to separate his head from his body with a hat, and he probably did it to some poor bloke before his redemption!

You have to hate dogs.

That's how you become a villain in JoJo.

The Holly plot made less sense to me as more Stand users got introduced in Part 3. Why is she the only one getting killed by her Stand? Why would killing Dio solve her problem and why doesn't it affect any of the other Stand users? And why do they know for a fact that killing Dio will have this effect for her? Did I miss something obvious in those first episodes?

Just chalk it up to Araki making up the story and stand rules as he went along.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

This is how I understand it. When Dio got his powers, every living Jostar descendant also got Stand abilities. Most were able to handle this, but Holly couldn't for reasons. (Maybe Holly's Stand produces Poison or some shit)

Now, why the fuck killing Dio actually fixed anything is never given a good explications. At best it could be as Dio's stand got stronger over time, the Stands of all his descendants also got stronger, and this overwhelmed Holly (And Josuke). By killing him, Holly's stand stopped gaining strength/weakened, and she was able to adapt to it.

But him getting stand abilities is definitely the cause of all the other protagonist getting theirs, and his death stopped this, as evidence by none of the Joestar descendants born after Dio's death having Stand abilities naturally.

Dio used the arrow on himself to bring out his Stand.

Somehow that caused an effect where Jonathan's descendants, possessing some kind of link to his body (Joseph and Dio were able to feel each other's presence), also were forced to manifest their Stands.

Joseph and Jotaro were able to use their Stands because they had the fighting spirit necessary to use them. Holly and the young Josuke at the time didn't, and they fell ill because as long as Dio was alive, their Stands would keep trying to manifest as a result of this psychic/spiritual link.

Killing Dio caused whatever signal was being sent to stop, meaning the Stands stopped trying to forcibly manifest (Josuke presumably was able to control Crazy Diamond because he matured enough to bring it back out).

Avdol (who had his Stand from birth or from a very young age naturally) said that he had heard of people manifesting their Stands for the first time and dying because of it like Holly's disease. We also see with the Arrow that people struck by it will die unless they possess the potential to use a Stand (Koichi only lived because Josuke healed him, and the result was an immature Stand that had to evolve with Koichi's own spirit).

Madao

my guess, which is very flimsy, is that the Arrow being used on Dio had partially the same effect on Jonathan's descendants and they reacted accordingly. for example, Holly would have definitely died if she was shot with the Arrow but she only got the negative effects of the stand because she wasn't pierced directly.

i guess Araki had to get rid of that plotline eventually since, if it was still true by the end, Jotaro, Joseph and Josuke would have lost their Stands. it would have worked if the series ended with Part 3 but, due to continuing, he had to forget some rules on purpose to completely shed all the early baggage.

Matsukaze

my guess, which is very flimsy, is that the Arrow being used on Dio had partially the same effect on Jonathan's descendants and they reacted accordingly. for example, Holly would have definitely died if she was shot with the Arrow but she only got the negative effects of the stand because she wasn't pierced directly.

i guess Araki had to get rid of that plotline eventually since, if it was still true by the end, Jotaro, Joseph and Josuke would have lost their Stands. it would have worked if the series ended with Part 3 but, due to continuing, he had to forget some rules on purpose to completely shed all the early baggage.
Regarding Stand loss -
It's probably best to think of Dio's death as suppressing Stands and not actually destroying them.

In other words, killing Dio made no difference to Hermit Purple and Star Platinum because those Stands were already simpatico with their Users; Joseph and Jotaro had enough willpower to sustain their Stands even without Dio's presence.

It suppressed Crazy Diamond and Holly's Stand because those Stands were not simpatico with their Users. Crazy Diamond would reawaken once Josuke developed sufficient spirit. Holly's Stand would not return because she would never develop the proper willpower to draw it forth.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Dio used the arrow on himself to bring out his Stand.

Somehow that caused an effect where Jonathan's descendants, possessing some kind of link to his body (Joseph and Dio were able to feel each other's presence), also were forced to manifest their Stands.

Joseph and Jotaro were able to use their Stands because they had the fighting spirit necessary to use them. Holly and the young Josuke at the time didn't, and they fell ill because as long as Dio was alive, their Stands would keep trying to manifest as a result of this psychic/spiritual link.

Killing Dio caused whatever signal was being sent to stop, meaning the Stands stopped trying to forcibly manifest (Josuke presumably was able to control Crazy Diamond because he matured enough to bring it back out).

Avdol (who had his Stand from birth or from a very young age naturally) said that he had heard of people manifesting their Stands for the first time and dying because of it like Holly's disease. We also see with the Arrow that people struck by it will die unless they possess the potential to use a Stand (Koichi only lived because Josuke healed him, and the result was an immature Stand that had to evolve with Koichi's own spirit).

Okay, I guess that works.

Nottle

Great write up, but I think the part about Josuke hasn't been revealed yet on the show, not a huge deal but still.
It has, I remember having that discussion on this thread before. It is a quick throw away line in like the first or 3rd episode. Josuke says he got sick when he was a kid.

Holly's stand may qualify as the worst stand ever, but only if a undeveloped stand could be considered a stand. In which case there are worse.

Ridley327

I can't think of a character on the show less interested in having a Stand than Holly. Even if they bullshitted their way into letting her keep it, I don't even know how she'd be able to use anything like Hermit Purple for any reason at all.

Nottle

I can't think of a character on the show less interested in having a Stand than Holly. Even if they bullshitted their way into letting her keep it, I don't even know how she'd be able to use anything like Hermit Purple for any reason at all.
She could scratch Jotaro's back, or use it to help do generic mom stuff like make Jotaro dinner that he doesn't appreciate.

Betty

Banned
It has, I remember having that discussion on this thread before. It is a quick throw away line in like the first or 3rd episode. Josuke says he got sick when he was a kid.

Holly's stand may qualify as the worst stand ever, but only if a undeveloped stand could be considered a stand. In which case there are worse.

Ah I wasn't sure, pretty great how that ties in to part 3, EmCeeGramr did a good job clearing things even I wasn't sure on.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

Don't worry, I don't think Holly is ever even mentioned for the rest of the series.

Rohan and Koichi have the most interesting abilities so far. Rohan's seems a bit dumb at first but once it got to the ability to rewrite and stuff it got interesting. Sad that once again Koichi is the one that has to have things just the roughest, but it has made things interesting.

Good character design.
CmZXDBIWEAAdVRi.jpg:small

cntr

Banned
Imagine if a shitbag said he'd take to you to Hirohiko Araki, you'd go along with it just to meet Araki

Top Bottom