• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure HD |OT| Dio's in His Heaven, All's Right With Za Warudo

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Yeah the prompts are fucked.

It's a sequence, like raging demon, not all the buttons at the same time.

GO ON AND ZA WARUDO IN PEACE

Oh. I kinda wish they'd make that look like LP LP MK HP (IIRC the Raging Demon in SSF4) in the command list then. The prompt just looks bad. I thought they wanted 6H+L then 6S but was completely eating the AI's moves trying to pull it off.

ElFly

Oh. I kinda wish they'd make that look like LP LP MK HP (IIRC the Raging Demon in SSF4) in the command list then. The prompt just looks bad. I thought they wanted 6H+L then 6S but was completely eating the AI's moves trying to pull it off.

Where it says + it should be -> or a comma can't remember. You never press two buttons or a button and direction at the same time for zawaldo or similar moves.

Tizoc

Yeah I don't get why in the movelist they used '+' instead of '>' or an ,.
Still I can do those Raging Demon-like inputs just fine~
Now somebody teach me Kage Dio, Dio, Anubis Chaka & Joseph combos.

Tobe

Yeah I don't get why in the movelist they used '+' instead of '>' or an ,.
Still I can do those Raging Demon-like inputs just fine~
Now somebody teach me Kage Dio, Dio, Anubis Chaka & Joseph combos.

shadow dio

cr.L>H>S repeat.

jbug617

Banned
Played online a little bit earlier today. Quick match put me up against 3 people from Japan so I didn't expect great connection but it was ok.

I got Mariah's achievement pretty easily, and Alessy's somewhat by accident. It will be tough to get Dio's though. Is there a specific timing to get a clash? Also, how do I counter Time Stop? Do I just do my own version while it's running?

Tobe

I got Mariah's achievement pretty easily, and Alessy's somewhat by accident. It will be tough to get Dio's though. Is there a specific timing to get a clash? Also, how do I counter Time Stop? Do I just do my own version while it's running?

activate your stand and just do qcf L with dio againts jotaro.
yes just do another time stop when time has already stopped. (you can use jotaro and dio or shadow dio)

EDIT: so this newb comes with an ass jotaro and i just beat him with hol horse, found him online again and he picked petshop, poor guy lost to shadow dio. seriously he is OP but if you dont know how to do shit then whats the point.

Onemic

After seeing the epicness that is za warudo + wryy combination I really want to pick up dio. Is he actually really hard to learn like the wiki says he is? Compared to say Chaka, Jotaro, or Shadow Dio?(The other characters I'm considering maining)

I also read through the first few chapters of the Jojo manga. Actually seems to be really good so far. The random crazy gore at times is actually a nice touch.

This is also the one PSN/XBLA release where the Filter option actually improves the graphics rather than make them look like vaseline. With HD on it seems to be what the game actually would look like if made with higher res sprites. The shading is a really nice touch.

Busaiku

Ok, so I finally finished Battle Tendency, and even got through all of Stardust Crusaders!
So I've gotta wonder, why are Chaka and Midler playable characters when they barely served any purpose?

And this is over the Terrence and Enya?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
This game is goofy as hell. Only tried the trial but the story mode is weird, in a good way. Pretty sure I'm going to check out the manga now. It's crazy to see how similar Persona 4 Arena is to this game as well.

Did the story always use tarot cards for the name of the Stands or is that part of the licensing issue or whatever (apparently many of the Stands are named after real albums or something)?

Don't have the points to pick this up, but it's definitely an interesting game.

Did the story always use tarot cards for the name of the Stands or is that part of the licensing issue or whatever (apparently many of the Stands are named after real albums or something)?

The ones in this game, yes. Later on they start having names that DEFINITELY would give them tons of licensing issues.

Conan-san

This game is goofy as hell. Only tried the trial but the story mode is weird, in a good way. Pretty sure I'm going to check out the manga now. It's crazy to see how similar Persona 4 Arena is to this game as well.

Don't have the points to pick this up, but it's definitely an interesting game.
Initaly for Stardust Crusaders (Act 3, where most of this game takes it's insperation from) it was Tarot Cards then it became music names about midway though Act 3 which is probably why Act 4 (Daimonds are Unbreakable, basically Persona 4) won't get a release over here.

Tizoc

Ok, so I finally finished Battle Tendency, and even got through all of Stardust Crusaders!
So I've gotta wonder, why are Chaka and Midler playable characters when they barely served any purpose?

And this is over the Terrence and Enya?

You mean Captain Terrence's impersonator right? Well I think the reason those 2 got added were:
Chaka: He has a sword, swords are cool.
Midler: They wanted a female character, I guess Mariah was considered, but they asked Araki if he could make a design for Midler, Capcom prob. liked it and went with Midler instead.

Enya would've been interesting, but I don't know how the Impersonator would play.

Having training mode unlocked in the demo would have been nice so that I could learn how to properly play the game. I could not beat the first guy after numerous attempts, and when I finally did it was mostly due to button-mashing. I guess fighting games just aren't for me. I do like the style of this one, though.

Maybe I'll get it if it drops to $10 during a sale or something.

Finalow

just bought the game on psn and wtf is going on? I can only download a file of 6 KB, in the description there is a "temp -trial" thing. I can't buy it again and I don't even know if they took my money or not. I mean I didn't add the money on the portfolio, just bough it so dunno.

ElFly

just bought the game on psn and wtf is going on? I can only download a file of 6 KB, in the description there is a "temp -trial" thing. I can't buy it again and I don't even know if they took my money or not. I mean I didn't add the money on the portfolio, just bough it so dunno.

You have to download the demo.

The 6kb file is the unlock for the whole game that is contained in the demo.

Go to the store and try to buy the game again. It will prompt you to download both files. I know cause I was downloading the game when I ran out of space. Had to go and clean the fridge, then went back to the store and downloaded again.

Onemic

Is Dio really that hard to use over Jotaro or shadow Dio?

And does anyone know how to do Shadow Dios Dash, 2A, C loop? I can never connect the c after the dash, 2a, as the recovery is too long.

I don't think Dio is that hard to use. He's a bit like Akuma, same general moves as Jotaro but slightly stronger, and some Raging Demon shenanigans on the side.

I've been playing with new characters in Ranked Battle to work towards the "win a fight with everyone" trophy. I feel bad for the guy I used Pet Shop on, I even sent a message to apologize. I actually haven't fought Pet Shop yet, do people generally avoid him?

Busaiku

You mean Captain Terrence's impersonator right? Well I think the reason those 2 got added were:
Chaka: He has a sword, swords are cool.
Midler: They wanted a female character, I guess Mariah was considered, but they asked Araki if he could make a design for Midler, Capcom prob. liked it and went with Midler instead.

Enya would've been interesting, but I don't know how the Impersonator would play.

Terrence D'Arby.
Mariah is in the game though.

Finalow

I feel bad for the guy I used Pet Shop on, I even sent a message to apologize. I actually haven't fought Pet Shop yet, do people generally avoid him?
so that bird is imba or something, I sucked with him but I started to play today.
btw I have the psn version if anyone wants to add me.

Rain_ng

Banned
Also the baby and orangutan could've been in too!
Ugh, so many missed opportunities.

For the baby do you mean Death 13? He's in there but not playable. From memory you need to pick 1 of the 6 heroes (Jotaro, Kakyoin, Polnareef, Joseph, Iggy or Avdol) and not lose 1 of the first 6 matches. No idea why they didn't include the secret fight against him as an Achievement/Trophy.

Finalow

For the baby do you mean Death 13? He's in there but not playable. From memory you need to pick 1 of the 6 heroes (Jotaro, Kakyoin, Polnareef, Joseph, Iggy or Avdol) and not lose 1 of the first 6 matches. No idea why they didn't include the secret fight against him as an Achievement/Trophy.
so is that the only "secret" or there is something else besides the story and online.

also I really suck, I tried in traning mode but lol, can't even make any super combo unless I use R1 + random directions, like that I do random combos. isn't there an easy guide or something 'cause it seems pretty hard.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I'm... enjoying this way more than I expected to. Amazing how much elements of this are like Persona 4, but with, y'know, animation! ;) Hopping and Rolling, and loads of on-wakeup hop and fireball crossups and command normals... all atop a funky juggle system.

I'm playing Mahariah, Joseph, and Avdol, generally. On XBLA, it really feels like I'm playing a new, never released fighter with a load of people who are also just learning it at the same time (in ranked play). None of the few Petshops I've fought have seemed OP at all (Just annoying), Hol Horse's unblockable(?!) shot seems like much more of an issue at this level of knowledge...

I don't even remember "JoJo" being in the game back in the Dreamcast time, and man, does he look like a Joseph Spriterip. It's actually quite comical.

Slash Sound effects from Darkstalkers... The desert, City at Night, and "Dio's Coffin" stages look like direct nods to DS stages.... it feels so nice to have a console-centric way to play a game like this. (GGPO's never worked well for me, and I just don't like playing unofficial emus much in the end...)

I do miss the bonuses of 3SOE, though, especially the possibility of a Gallery. And I still wish this included Red Earth / Warzard as a collection.

While I think it's overall pretty stupid to release a niche game for a higher price (maybe limiting it's purchasers), I have to say, personally, I don't mind paying a small bit more, in order to get the more "Niche" fighters onto XBLA / PSN. I'd love to see things like Martial Masters (Or even as random as Dark Legend) pop up on these services. (And a proper complimation of Asura Blade + Buster!)

Are the sounds effects dropping out for anyone else? happens quite a bit for me :(

Don't seem to be. At least not in any way that sounds unusual.

Morris

Disco Devil
Anyone wanna play on PSN?

Add me. ID: floydnova

I'm still learning Kakyoin and Jotaro a bit.

I don't even remember "JoJo" being in the game back in the Dreamcast time, and man, does he look like a Joseph Spriterip. It's actually quite comical.

JoJo = Young Joseph.

Tobe

this game is just really good. im actually quite surprsied by how polished the online is comparing to 3SOE, AE, or UMVC3. it may not have all the bells and whistles that other games have but at the core its really well made.

played quite a bit against dyne in ranked, got beat pretty bad tho. It seems people are going a lot with black polnareff in the upper ranks tho, that guy is so fucking easy to use and in online its worse. He has an invincible super that well fuck that shit is cheap since you can get trapped for air teching (that super cant be airblocked)

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Anyone wanna play on PSN?

Add me. ID: floydnova

I'm still learning Kakyoin and Jotaro a bit.

JoJo = Young Joseph.

Oh yeah, I figured that much (don't know much about the series story), but he just really feels like a sprite rip! Or more specifically, a modified Mugen sprite that was heavily based on his character. I think it has something to do with how his moves are re-used... I have a hard time taking him seriously, due to it. (Though I DO like his moveset....)

Tizoc

I'm... enjoying this way more than I expected to. Amazing how much elements of this are like Persona 4, but with, y'know, animation! ;)
P4A's animations are fine, had I known any better I'd say you're either trying to be funny...but you're not, or you're just saying that cuz it's an oldie fighting game.

Pretty sure he was in the very first JoJo fighter release. I think the devs wanted for him to turn into Part 2 Joseph when he got hit by Alessi's Stand...and then decided to make him a playable character, Part 2 is among the fav. JoJo series IIRC.

Slash Sound effects from Darkstalkers... The desert, City at Night, and "Dio's Coffin" stages look like direct nods to DS stages.... it feels so nice to have a console-centric way to play a game like this. (GGPO's never worked well for me, and I just don't like playing unofficial emus much in the end...)
Those areas are from the manga and originated from it, you could say they utilized the coloring style from those DS' stags, but I think it's just a common coloring concept meant t bring out the feel of those locations.

I do miss the bonuses of 3SOE, though, especially the possibility of a Gallery. And I still wish this included Red Earth / Warzard as a collection.
Same would've loved for a Gallery...and I'd drop 10-15 bucks on a Red Earth/Warzard release...with proper translation.

While I think it's overall pretty stupid to release a niche game for a higher price (maybe limiting it's purchasers), I have to say, personally, I don't mind paying a small bit more, in order to get the more "Niche" fighters onto XBLA / PSN.
Hey just be glad we actually got it. The high price is prob. to make up for the licensing, but really this port is very solid, so at least to me, 20 bucks well spent~

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
P4A's animations are fine, had I known any better I'd say you're either trying to be funny...but you're not, or you're just saying that cuz it's an oldie fighting game.

It's a light-hearted quip, not much more. But yeah, P4A's animation is fine (great every once in a while), but between playing JoJo's and Dust, it makes Aksys animation stick out even more than normal.

But mostly, I'm just happy with how nice THIS game can look at times. And I love all the silly extra, like watching the randoms who walk out for Mariah's victory poses, that loose metalic objects due to the magnatized enemies. So random, yet so fun.

Pretty sure he was in the very first JoJo fighter release. I think the devs wanted for him to turn into Part 2 Joseph when he got hit by Alessi's Stand...and then decided to make him a playable character, Part 2 is among the fav. JoJo series IIRC.

I'm just surprised to have seemingly forgotten a fighter character. That doesn't happen much at all, if ever. Cool that he found his way in there, though.

Those areas are from the manga and originated from it, you could say they utilized the coloring style from those DS' stags, but I think it's just a common coloring concept meant t bring out the feel of those locations.

It's just odd how amazingly similiar they are. I wouldn't really call the coloring styles "common" either, in this case; Very specifically capcom CPS-style, not like you see green-shaded deserts, for example, all the time. Seeing all the reference to Jojo's in other Capcom fighters, I would be too surprised if the artist made those locations look as they do, as loose "reverse-references".

Same would've loved for a Gallery...and I'd drop 10-15 bucks on a Red Earth/Warzard release...with proper translation.

As much personality as JoJo's art has, you'd think a gallery would have been a given...

And it'd be so interesting to see what an online-capable fighters with a level-up system like RE/War's would turn out like. A 2D fighter with like 6 characters... but with 30 or so moves each, which you could select from to make your own custom character... Would be a fun experiment.

Hey just be glad we actually got it. The high price is prob. to make up for the licensing, but really this port is very solid, so at least to me, 20 bucks well spent~

Yeah, easily. Already enjoying this much more than I did the 3rd strike port. Just so many unique, enjoyable characters to play with and aganist.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Don' t you mean "wrrrrryyyyy"?

Thread Apropo! I think the only "slick" use of the Steamroller I've seen has been when I juggled a guy off screen with Mariah, and the guy gets floated for a REALLY long time.... only to re-into himself as Dio avec Steamroller.

Otherwise, people just spam it out of the blue, and then get a taste of Mariah's weaponized boobies. (I'm still not sure how a cloth shirt stretches like that. Especially without tearing.)

Top Bottom