• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Journey |OT| Perfect Strangers

Yeah........but at $15 for a few hours (let's ignore replay value for now) it's hard to justify it, especially with some much meatier games available on Plus this week for a few dollars more (GoW collection, Brotherhood). Trust me, I know, totally different experiences and games. Just right now I'm sort of in budget mode with not only money but time as well. Trying to make smart purchases, though by the sounds of it in this thread this game is not a mistake to buy.

My wife pays up to hundreds of dollars for paintings we just hang on the wall They do nothing, just hang their. Journey is interactive, so it does more than our paintings. Art can be expensive! Get over it!

JWong

Banned
I wonder if the game was set up so that they can track how often players spend time alone or if they play together.

Would be a neat gauge to if we like to play with strangers or if we are douchebags.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Played it to completion last night, and it was amazing experience.

Thanks to the 7 other people that I got to share that experience with throughout my journey!

I have no idea who I was paired up with, but apparently I came across 7 unique people, and it was a blast.

I think I completed it in roughly 2 hours or more, but it was amazing. I spend $15 to see a mediocre in the theater for 2 hours, so this game (which I'll be playing again tonight to explore and collect stuff), didn't feel overpriced to me.

I'd love a Vita version, because, man, that OLED...

The game was beautiful, and some of the locations, choice of lighting and effects, and music was amazing. My wife watched me play the whole game, and loved it. She'll probably play it herself at some point (it's not that she isn't a gamer; she's addicted to games like Skyrim, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, etc; but she generally isn't interested in games like flow and Flower).

The sand just amazed me, and I really can't wait to dive back into it when I get home from work. It may be a short game, but just like Flower, I can see myself popping it in every few months, just to unwind.

A.R.K

Just buy these guys already Sony!! Their games keep getting better and better. Will be buying as soon as I get some time to play games.

Mognet

Damn! I love this game. It's absolutely beautiful.

I was exploring with another person and having a lot of fun! I'm sad that I disconnected though... ): it's probably one of my favourite online experiences yet.

My wife pays up to hundreds of dollars for paintings we just hang on the wall They do nothing, just hang their. Journey is interactive, so it does more than our paintings. Art can be expensive! Get over it!

Well good for your wife. Not all of us have that much disposable income. In fact, believe it or not, there are those of us who have very little. I'd love to be able to spend hundreds of dollars on something frivolous and the brag about it in the internet to take shots at poor people, but unfortunately I'm not that fortunate.

GeoramA

I was exploring with another person and having a lot of fun! I'm sad that I disconnected though... ): it's probably one of my favourite online experiences yet.
Yeah, I bailed on a guy last night and felt bad about it because we completed 4 levels together, but I was so damn tired.

I also feel bad when I run into someone with barely any scarf left, while mine is long and flowing.

Skidd

Sweet mother of Christ!

You guessed it, I just finished it.

What a game. There are no words to describe it, you have to experience it.

The companion stuff is amazing. One of my finest co-op experiences. I didn't really care about it much at first, but I decided to stick with the first stranger I ran into. It felt so unreal who bonded you feel with the other player. My heart seriously stopped for a second when,
my companion ran into the first guardian/monster thing's spotlight. I helplessly watched as he got blasted and rushed to his aid when it was clear.

Money damn well spent!

.la1n

It says something when your playing super late and you feel sad you have to leave your partner that you have no idea who they are.

/Iknowthatfeel

geebee

Banned
Awesome game, but ran across a pretty bad bug in the first area(with the large bridge you need to rebuild. I somehow clipped through a sandfall and ended up inside the cliffside and couldn't go anywhere from there. I saw my co-op partner run back and forth to see where I had gone(we were still "calling" each other).. so I unfortunately had to quit out of the game and restart.

taoofjord

Absolutely astounding. One of the best games/experiences I've had in twenty plus years. And so god damn beautiful.

I have to say though that the majority of the last third was a lot less enjoyable than the rest of it.

Hanmik

Wait. I didn't think you could choose who you co-op with. Can you?

Trine 2? Is that EU only?

You cannot choose who to play with.. But that clever guy TTP figured out a way for us to join.. Probably isn't possible anymore because there are so many people playing..

But it was simple .. We chatted on the ps3 and went through the gate to the Bridge level at the same time.. Then we just waited a little while and TADA we found each other in the game and could write via the ps3's text chat thingy.. He guided me through the game to get all trophies.. Was great fun.

Keasar

That was truly something incredible.

And to all the people who I met along the way, wherever and whoever you be, thank you for this journey. :)

Moobabe

I'm speechless. That was such an incredible experience - and I only shared it with 2 others. I have there names - but in a way I kind of wish I didn't. Just wow.

Mognet

It says something when your playing super late and you feel sad you have to leave your partner that you have no idea who they are.

/Iknowthatfeel

I have no shame!
everythingyousaidistrue

I just completed my Journey /salute to all my companions. I better get some sleep now.

Have fun everyone.

Uh, wow....here's a bunch of words to describe what I just experienced, as sentences are failing me; invigorating, beautiful, enigmatic, moving, inspiring, profound.

I don't know exactly what it is, but ThatGameCompany have it and I want more.

Skidd

Also, I think everyone agrees when I say I want the XMB art as a wallpaper asap.

I know it can be done, so please someone make it happens.

Edit: What I'm referring to:
5923165690_7c6a4603c7_o.jpg

rCIZZLE

What an amazing game. Just barely managed to see my companion's id after the credits and sent him a message. So totally worth the money.

Where'd you see it at? I'm getting close to the end and I don't want to miss it. :p

edit: nvm they just left lol. Such a lonely feeling now. First game I can remember that effects me that way... damn I want more games like this.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I was getting heavy Team Ico vibes while playing last night.

It's not even like the games look anything alike, but after contemplation, what I think it was that gave me that vibe was simply the feelings I got while playing the game.

Very few game companies outside of Team Ico affect certain parts of my emotions.

There was a moment last night when
Me and my companion were traversing through the snow, and we inadvertently got spotted by those giant "flow" inspired monsters, and we were both knocked on our asses through the air and slammed into the ground. It was devastating. We spent the next 20 minutes or so working together to sneak past the enemies, huddling for warmth and "singing" to each other to boost our scarf/jump skills. We completed the game together. Simply amazing.

I certainly wouldn't complain if thatgamecompany became part of the Sony family for good, but it doesn't matter where their games end up on next, I will be there with my obligatory "Shut up and take my money" gif.

Seriously. Maybe I should just tie my bank account to tgc, so when they announce a game it just takes the money for it. lol.

I really enjoyed flow. I loved Flower, but I think I enjoy Journey the most (though that's hard for me, as Flower also has such a great affect over my emotions).

Damn, I just want this work day to be over so I can get right back into it!

I just really enjoy the idea of encountering strangers and experiencing the game with them.

The "lack" of mic support isn't a lack at all. It profoundly affects the gaming experience not being able to call someone a "noob" or tell them directly what to do or be told directly what you should do.

Short but sweet is such an apt description for this game.

This is such a great game.

On my third playthrough, I realize how well this game has been designed for new gamers. Would totally recommend to women and folks.

Just had my first co-op experience after going through the game solo last night.

I'm amazed at what the lack of certain features can add to a multiplayer experience.

Keasar

Also, I think everyone agrees when I say I want the XMB art as a wallpaper asap.

I know it can be done, so please someone make it happens.

Edit: What I'm referring to:
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6003/5923165690_7c6a4603c7_o.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
Yeah, the splashart shown when selecting the game in the menu would be a lovely wallpaper. That or the screen shown before starting your journey in the game. Fuckit, any screenshot at this point would be a lovely wallpaper.

vazel

Banned
Finished the game today. A huge improvement over flower which I thought tried too hard to be artsy. Journey feels more natural and the simplistic gameplay is actually interesting this time. I really enjoyed this game.

Will there be a way to acquire the soundtrack? I would love to have it.

From Amish_Gramish at the official forums (who also hangs around here):

taurus82 wrote:
Any updates on this original soundtrack?

Yes! I'll just say that the soundtrack is on track to be released quicker than it took the Flower soundtrack to be released.

Also, the composer, Austin Wintory, will send out some free music from the game if you subscribe to his newsletter. So go to his site and enter your email address at the bottom.

test_account

XP-39C²
Just finished the game (and in one sitting too, very rarely that i do that). Such an amazing game indeed! Probably the best gaming experience i've had so far this year. I got goosebumps several of times hehe.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that i played pretty much the whole game in coop. That definitely added something to the experience for me. Just a bit pity that i got lost from my coop partner right at the end, so we didnt get to cross the finish line at the same time :\

Edeuinu

I don't really know anything about this game, all the pictures are blocked at work except the bands album art, but I think I'm still going to buy this from the OP alone. Cheers!

Adamm

Just finished it. One of the greatest things I've played, loved every minute of it & about to play through again.

Anyone on these gaf called eevee? I enjoyed playing with you :)

Question for those who have finished the game at least once:

In the opening section, with all the level select shrines, the destroyed one on the right has a number of glowing runes. I assume these are all the "symbols" in the game, but two aren't lit up. I'm not entirely sure what it means; is it simply indicating I haven't found one of the collectibles yet?

Top Bottom