• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Journey |OT| Perfect Strangers

Speevy

Banned
Did anyone who thought Flower and Flow were abyssal nothings enjoy Journey?

I liked flower, despite its gameplay shortcomings. I thought flow was kinda crap though.

Let me see if this puts your mind at ease. You won't spend one second of this game meandering aimlessly or fighting sixaxis controls. It's virtually impossible to finish Journey in more than 2 sittings, and this is coming from someone who typically finishes 6 hour games in 12 hours.

It's a very straightforward defined adventure, and you're always well aware of your surroundings.

I liked flower, despite its gameplay shortcomings. I thought flow was kinda crap though.

I really dug flower as well--probably was going to be my game of the generation until Journey showed up. Flow however is no doubt mediocre, but understandable since it was TGC's freshman effort.

boingball

wow, finished my first Journey. Watching the ending.

Can now end my media blackout (no beta, no gaf, no reviews, well I checked the scores, which in my opinion are too low, I doubt that Mass Effect 3 is the better game).

Amazing music, graphics blew me away, a most beautiful game.

I hope this sells well. Unless the Last Guardian comes out this year (and unscathed from development hell) this probably will be my game of the year.

How Sony can let thatgamecompany go away blows my mind.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I just finished the game about an hour ago (PSN ID is Weak_Spot just incase) and the last 3 chapters I had the same companion. I think we got lost at one point as we went all the way back down the mountain to the start of the level, then had to work our way back.

In short though, about this 'experience' (Its not a game, its a Journey!) is that it's one of the best titles I've experienced. Just the right length, the multiplayer is awesome (I really wanted to high 5 my companion who we waited for each other if the other was lost) and the music, abience, the whole shibbang. Just breath taking.

Words cannot recommend this enough.

I went on to PSN to buy this, found out I can't buy it, had to come to GAF to find out when I would be allowed to buy it, and decided not to buy it. I have plenty else to play, and plenty else that I'm allowed to buy.

zethren

Banned
Been waiting so long to play Journey...but I'm not a PSN+ member. Curses! ME3 will have to hold me until next week, it seems. Super excited.

I went on to PSN to buy this, found out I can't buy it, had to come to GAF to find out when I would be allowed to buy it, and decided not to buy it. I have plenty else to play, and plenty else that I'm allowed to buy.
You should still buy it.

The best $15 I ever spent on a game.

dreamfall

The
Mirage
&
Ancestors
trophies are so brilliant. Found both, and my love for thatgamecompany knows no bounds. Such a peaceful game!

Okay, just finished the game. Words are really hard to come by.

The downloadable space has no shortage of games which aspire to be something more than just ordinary shooters and platformers. Limbo, Outland, Braid, flower as well as several other games have tried to evoke emotions and dazzle the eye. A clean, interesting art style is the one thing these games have in common.

I believe Journey is the culmination of what these companies aspired to do. It is the highest peak of a place that you never knew you wanted to see. It is proof positive that the digital space on consoles is a thing you cannot confine to a $1 app.

From top to bottom, Journey is magnificent. Its presentation is at once exhilarating, heartbreaking, mysterious, and dangerous. The game visits the same sorts of forgotten realms Team ICO showed us so many years earlier, but this time with an unparalleled triumph of high definition beauty. Gameplay is simple and fun, while allowing players to experience the world together. Music is what brings the experience from a level of great to utterly brilliant, as you feel precisely what the developers intended.

I cannot possibly give this game a higher recommendation. It is pure class without the pretense. Pure joy without needing to borrow from its action-based contemporaries. A feast for the eyes and the soul. You will be moved.

10/10

An experience I'll never forget.

Near the end
when you fight through the wind and those monsters periodically fly around... my partner, got hit twice. His scarf/cape became a little stub. He was almost screwed again, but I got the attention of the guy and took the hit for him. It felt like a legitimate struggle.

Also...

Skiing down the sand... so much beauty, the music.. the controls, seeing my buddy and I have an unforgettable experience.

I'm in love.

Just beat this. Played through most of it with either Korbin-something or XxxDonxxX-something. Regardless.......if it wasn't 4am I would replay it this very moment.

The whole being able to communicate but only at a very, very basic level worked so well. Everything from that to the visuals, the soundtrack, the simplicity of the controls, but yet you could do such cool stuff....Goddamn I enjoyed the shit of this.

Hanmik

Damn I´m glad to read all those positive comments.. seems like most of you had the same expirience as me. 10/10 all the way, just as my review said.:!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Really happy this seems to be living up to the hype.... I'll pick it up the second it launches on PSN -

HankToms

This game is awesome. So much satisfaction from finishing the game, that I didn't even care about it's length.

I met another player at the 2nd area, and we traveled together for a long time. He got to a point where he fell off a ledge, and I thought he was gone for good. I wasn't sure if there were any respawns, since I had never died. I felt sad and just stood there because we were doing well together. Then about 10-15 seconds later I heard a sound and saw the little light bubble, he was still alive! :)

Can't wait to replay this and take my time to explore everything.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
AhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

That was such a beautiful... Journey, for lack of a better word.

So beautiful, yet short, like a fleeting blissful dream on a warm summer night. Brb, I feel like writing pretentious poetry.

spats

My home internet has been down for like a week so I can't download or play this.

I hate everyone in this thread. >:I

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
AhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

That was such a beautiful... Journey, for lack of a better word.

So beautiful, yet short, like a fleeting blissful dream on a warm summer night. Brb, I feel like writing pretentious poetry.

It feels better the second time u play it. I think it's because you sort of have a better understanding of the history of the world around you. At least for me, I've gotten a stronger emotional response on my second go.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Alright. Just beat it.

I cried. I seriously fucking cried.

This game, man. This damn game.

If my traveling companion for most of the game reads this, thank you. :D

Hanmik

It feels better the second time u play it. I think it's because you sort of have a better understanding of the history of the world around you. At least for me, I've gotten a stronger emotional response on my second go.

Listen to this man.. he knows the game in and out..!

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Anyone notice how your cape becomes decorated differently after the beating the game?

It explains why my (better looking) companion for the second part of the game was more experiences;he was reincarnated.

Hanmik

Anyone notice how your cape becomes decorated after the beating the game?

It explains why my (better looking) companion for the second part of the game was more experiences;
he was reincarnated.

Try playing the game with a companion that is
white
instead of the usual
red
.. luckily for me, that guy was TTP, so he showed me how to do it..!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
This game...the most amazing thing happened to me near the end, brought me to tears for the second or third time. (Spoilers, obviously. Don't read unless you've finished the game.)

Near the end of the game, after you "die" and are flying up the mountain, I lost sight of my traveling partner who had been with me for most of the game. I stopped and waited and looked around for a while, but couldn't find him. I thought he'd left or had been disconnected or something. So after a little bit, I decided to just carry on alone. I proceeded up the mountain, and then as I neared the top, off in the distance I saw...his signal.

He got to the top of the mountain before me, and waited for me. I don't think I'd ever been so happy while playing a video game in my entire life. After all that he and I had been through, he waited for me.

I just...I love this game so much.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Anyone notice how your cape becomes decorated differently after the beating the game?

It explains why my (better looking) companion for the second part of the game was more experiences;he was reincarnated.

Also interesting to see how that changed since the beta.

In the beta,
you would get extra decorations upon meeting with the white figure at the end of each level. Not the case anymore.

Also, the history panels behave differently. In the beta they would trigger a sequence akin to those you see when meeting with the white person. Now they just light up and all the actual "narrative" happens solely with the white person.

It's much better this way I think.

Hanmik

oh yeah just remembered.. a nice pointer for people trying to collect all "Glowing Symbols".

at the end of each level, there is a shrine. There are symbols on it. They light up if you have found them. That way you can check what level you miss symbols on.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Can I ask what most of you guys' first run completion time is? Really the only thing holding me back is the length/price ratio.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
oh yeah just remembered.. a nice pointer for people trying to collect all "Glowing Symbols".

at the end of each level, there is a shrine. There are symbols on it. They light up if you have found them. That way you can check what level you miss symbols on.

!!!

Thanks, this will be very helpful on my second run.

heh, I took my sweet time through the game and didn't notice.

Thanks.

Edit:
Can I ask what most of you guys' first run completion time is? Really the only thing holding me back is the length/price ratio.
It took me around two and a half hours the first time through, but I did a lot of sightseeing and exploration.

If you think you'd enjoy the game, price/time ratio shouldn't matter in the slightest. It's wonderful and definitely worth the price, and you will not play it just once.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Yeah........but at $15 for a few hours (let's ignore replay value for now) it's hard to justify it, especially with some much meatier games available on Plus this week for a few dollars more (GoW collection, Brotherhood). Trust me, I know, totally different experiences and games. Just right now I'm sort of in budget mode with not only money but time as well. Trying to make smart purchases, though by the sounds of it in this thread this game is not a mistake to buy.

Hanmik

Yeah........but at $15 for a few hours (let's ignore replay value for now) it's hard to justify it, especially with some much meatier games available on Plus this week for a few dollars more (GoW collection, Brotherhood). Trust me, I know, totally different experiences and games. Just right now I'm sort of in budget mode with not only money but time as well. Trying to make smart purchases, though by the sounds of it in this thread this game is not a mistake to buy.

if you are so much in doubt, then don´t buy it.. you will miss a great game, but you will have 15$..

burgerdog

if you are so much in doubt, then don´t buy it.. you will miss a great game, but you will have 15$..

I was going to make a post about how I bought all these other games today and to suggest Journey over anything else. However, as long as he gets around to playing the game at some point, that's all that matters. If he thinks a meatier game will server him better then that's his choice. Just don't forget to play journey when you can spare the money. It's absolutely worth it.

I'm an expert

That's another thing..I jumped on the Flower bandwagon hard back then and felt a bit burned. Definitely could have waited, and would have benefited from all the sales/price drops it eventually got. I think Journey will get treated the same. $15 won't break me, but yeah it's just a simple decision I have to make. Don't worry, I'm not looking for some sort of purchase justification, was just wondering how long the game offered that "first time feeling" and whether it was worth it for me to jump in now or wait. I'm looking forward to it either way.

Top Bottom