• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Journey |OT| Perfect Strangers

TripOpt55

Hey m0dus, just wanted to say that theme looks very cool. I just downloaded it and will be putting it on my PS3 when I get the chance. Excited to see what it looks like on my TV.

Love the game, wish there was an endless desert mode, where random ruins and temples show up. Something like a procedurally generated open playground.
Oh man, that's a terrific idea. Terrifically dangerous too, the hours would just fly by...

m0dus, you are unparalleled in your craft. *bows*

Zoibie

Second playthrough, played with the same person from start to finish and it was just as fantastic as the first time. Added each other after the game and started talking about how it's a little depressing that when the time comes that there aren't enough people to populate the servers, the game won't be nearly as good as it is right now.

Also, great theme m0dus, thanks!

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
This game..nothing like it the first time through. It's very weird how I thought for the majority of my trip I was with the same person (simply based off how he moved/jumped/communicated with me) but when I finished the game I had apparently met 7 different people. Mind blown.

When your companion meditates is it because they left/disconnected? Happened a few times and waited for them to come back, but figured at that point it was someone new.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
You can meditate by pressing select, it's a kind of pause I guess.

Yeah I took advantage of that by getting the trophy. But for my first run I really had no idea so every time my partner paused I'd sit with him hoping he'd come back so we could continue. Most likely though it was someone else, but the feeling it gave me of "please don't go" was just great.

I really hope I can get the "beat it with the same companion for a while" trophy. Even when I chapter selected to the end I seemed to get like 4 different people I ran across even though I only ever saw one..so weird.

Anybody want to take this for a test drive?

p1.jpg

p2.jpg

I love you sir.

Unicorn

Just received the Companion trophy for my second playthrough. That was a whole new experience. I felt like I was going through it with a significant other.

Credits roll and the person's PSN is FullBladder. :lol

wouwie

My 3rd playthrough was magic and a memorable gaming experience. Met a couple of persons early on and then played most of the game with the same person. It just clicked and it was fantastic.

I truly love this game.

Haven't encountered a
white cloak
yet. Does it change something gameplay wise when you have it or is it purely cosmetic?

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I want to play, but I must wait for Return :( Will not change the clock to get it.

I know that feeling :< I'm so tempted to just start it up again on my other account, but I think taking a break from the game for a bit would be a good thing to do anyway.

Downloaded the theme and everything is fine. Thanks m0dus! Also, I thought the name sounded familiar and I guess I used your Okami theme for awhile as well :D Thank you for that one too.

burgerdog

Lost my companion a few minutes from the end, and surprisingly gutted about it, i will rectify.

I get so nervous during that section, it's so easy to get separated. During my last play through I lost my companion halfway up and I was looking everywhere for him. When I realized that I lost him I turned the camera to keep going and saw a chirp far off in the distance, that put a huge smile on my face.

"My feelings on playing Journey. Its value is not as a time waster, but as a rare emotional experience. I wish I could have a great many people play this game."

Really hope this will be inspiration for Ueda to get up off his bum and finish The Last Guardian. Journey plus TLG in the same year would be awesome.

Endo Punk

I am an idiot. Decided to wait for this player who took half an hour doing god knows what. And when he did come around he left at the next save point.

onken

Well I hate to be that guy buy I really didn't "get" this game. Just felt like a Team Ico try hard except without any of the emotion connection. My game lasted 90 minutes and consisted of holding forward and tapping x and circle from time to time. Looks and sounds fantastic but really left me scratching my head wondering where my ten quid went.

Canova

Banned
Well I hate to be that guy buy I really didn't "get" this game. Just felt like a Team Ico try hard except without any of the emotion connection. My game lasted 90 minutes and consisted of holding forward and tapping x and circle from time to time. Looks and sounds fantastic but really left me scratching my head wondering where my ten quid went.

did you play it with a companion? if you play with one companion the entire game, the one who waits and comes back and searches for you when you're lost, makes the ending that much more memorable

Ra1den

I didn't get Team Ico vibes from this at all. They both employ minimalistic storytelling, but that's where the similarities end. It is unfortunate if any game that employs minimalistic storytelling gets pegged as Team Ico wannabes.

Roubjon

I played through it a second time today and it was awesome.
I had a guy in white show me all of the hidden stuff. The best part is that he stuck with me the whole time, which of course made the ending so great. I had other people in my room during the playthrough though, which made the experience not as great as it could of been.

I'm really looking forward to playing it again in a month or something, in the dark and alone. Should be awesome.

I have to say, this is probably one of my favorite games. No other has ever come close to making me get so emotional. Just listening to the soundtrack feels great.

Cramoss

Aww man. I felt more emotionally connected to another player throughout the whole game than any other game.

I didn't get Team Ico vibes from this at all. They both employ minimalistic storytelling, but that's where the similarities end. It is unfortunate if any game that employs minimalistic storytelling gets pegged as Team Ico wannabes.

This.

I hate that.

Ra1den

I played through it a second time today and it was awesome.
I had a guy in white show me all of the hidden stuff. The best part is that he stuck with me the whole time, which of course made the ending so great. I had other people in my room during the playthrough though, which made the experience not as great as it could of been.

I'm really looking forward to playing it again in a month or something, in the dark and alone. Should be awesome.

I have to say, this is probably one of my favorite games. No other has ever come close to making me get so emotional. Just listening to the soundtrack feels great.

No worries, subsequent playthroughs are just as enjoyable as the first one, or even better. And yeah playing alone in the dark is key, unless you're with somebody that is as into the experience as you are.

Just finished my first run, got the companion trophy and met 4 people. That ending was something special.

Overall I feel glad I've played it, maybe I'll return to it and get some more trophies or build my experience, but if it was just a one-off I think I'm satisfied with the purchase.

Without wanting to get too bogged down in the price discussion, I can understand why some people wont be happy with what they got for their money, but I also think that some of the moments I experienced were priceless. If the people I'd played with hadn't stuck by me and I hadn't stuck by them then I think it would have been a very different and lesser experience.

Rising_Hei

Sony, release a thatcompany recopilation bluray with Flow, Flower and Journey RIGHT NOW
Great games as these deserve physical releases

Liberty4all

Banned
Best seamless multiplayer transition ... So seamless I didn't realize until after the game it happened:

At the cliff side temple where wind is blowing you and your buddy backwards ... You use cover to block the wind. There is a chasm you can be blown off of. I get blown off. Start chiming like mad from bottom, my partner chiming like mad from up top. Then 10 seconds of silence. I think I'm alone so sad. All of the sudden my buddy shows up behind me at bottom. Bursts of chime to express our joy that we are together again. I only realized after i finshed the game that likely I got disconnected from guy up top and the game joined me to another poor soul who had also got blown off. So awesome.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
I don't think I've ever played a game that made me care so much about another player. And the thing is, while having a second player is conducive to progressing through the game, it isn't necessary. So my obligation to my companion is completely intrinsic in nature.

Ra1den

Best seamless multiplayer transition ... So seamless I didn't realize until after the game it happened:

At the cliff side temple where wind is blowing you and your buddy backwards ... You use cover to block the wind. There is a chasm you can be blown off of. I get blown off. Start chiming like mad from bottom, my partner chiming like mad from up top. Then 10 seconds of silence. I think I'm alone so sad. All of the sudden my buddy shows up behind me at bottom. Bursts of chime to express our joy that we are together again. I only realized after i finshed the game that likely I got disconnected from guy up top and the game joined me to another poor soul who had also got blown off. So awesome.

Awesome. I was massively impressed by how seamless it is as well.
My mind was blown when I came across somebody, and I mean brushed right up against him, while sunset sandsurfing alone. I don't know how the timing can work so perfectly while moving so fast...and it seemed so natural, just sliding right up to him...insane.

In a year this will most likely be put up for sale, I think I will wait till then.

You just made the biggest mistake of your entire life.
I don't think I've ever played a game that made me care so much about another player. And the thing is, while having a second player is conducive to progressing through the game, it isn't necessary. So my obligation to my companion is completely intrinsic in nature.

This is a great point! There really is no need to complete it with them, it's something you just want to do.

Just finished it.

Walking
through the snow, seemingly keeping each other warm with our chimes was incredible. My friend 'died' first. I was so sad...

Liberty4all

Banned
Just finished it.

Walking
through the snow, seemingly keeping each other warm with our chimes was incredible. My friend 'died' first. I was so sad...

Yeah there was something incredibly powerful about that particular section, of course combined with what happened after ....

onken

Oh come on the visual and audio style are very similar and yes, the minimal story telling also.That's why I made the comparison with team Ico and not Half life 2, the style is very similar (except with heavily stripped down game play) and you'd have to be deliberately obtuse not to see that.

And oh look an Ueda quote on the previous page, what a coincidence.

I think even the architectural elements are similar to Team Ico stuff. This is not a complaint in any way; actually I think I prefer this to either of the team Ico games(pretty fond of Shadow of the Colossus, Ico doesn't do a thing for me though).

Second playthrough; kind of surprised to find myself still playing. Almost never finish games twice any more. This is short though, obviously. Got a few more discoveries and trophies. Guy in a
white robe
helped me out big time in
the tower
, then we finished the game together! Thanks OmegaManZ!

:O

m0dus, you did a fantastic job on that theme. Thinking about changing The Last of Us theme I have right now to the one you created. So good.

Top Bottom