• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Journey |OT| Perfect Strangers

Unicorn

Well, i've completed the game 4 times today. WTF.

Also, post-game question:

is there anything to unlock besides the white cloak and the furthering of the designs on my cloak for each subsequent completion? When does the design 'max out'? After how many playthroughs?

Also, I think I have a pretty good handle on the histroy/story. If anyone wants some theory talk..
We are star stuff. Sagan's wisdom, is the opening of the history. From the mountain, the stars are connected. The essence of them rains down to the birds, plants, and people. All intermingled and interconnected. Man begins harvesting plants, living off the land. Soon, he learns to harness the energy around him (the red rectangles that give you energy to go on, etc.) using it to create cities and machinery. Plants are smashed to build more buildings, factories, etc. Man exploits the red energy. Creates large, mechanical flying creatures, gets power hungry. Energy runs out, utopian life ends. Connections between people sever as they try to keep their share of energy; it dwindles. Borders are raised and wars are fought. Total annihilation on all sides. Any civilians/survivors seek pilgrimage to the all-force giving Mountain, the link to the stars/heavens. The remains of the cities decay and nature begins to take over. Dust bowl due to no plant life; desert. So, our character(s) take place in the aftermath, a sort of post-apocalyptic.

From here, there begins a spiritual theme. Prior was a sort of a take on the man's evolution to the rise of the machine type thematic story. Our Journey is more about knowledge and ultimate truth. One of the last cinematics hints at this all being cyclical as the hieroglyphic story is written on the inside of a cylindrical shape. the Player's purpose of existence is still a mystery (for me, at least. Still trying to figure in some of the metaphysical metaphors within the game). I tried finding the purpose of everything in the game, presented to the player. The purpose of the garb is to hide gender, as for the aesthetics, probably going middle-eastern based around that idea of Islamic/Christian/Judaism roots. The scarf, to me, had a few different meanings. It growing as you progress could either relate to your knowledge being gained, understanding building, or perhaps something to do with faith or energy. I'm not strong on the Faith aspect as towards the end of the climb it deteriorates, leaving the purpose of continuing on a huge question. The restoration of it after death is another clue. There's something about giving up that scarf towards the end of life, only to be restored in the afterlife that is a strong message. I took it as 'our Journey to transcendence.'
Using the remains of fallen flying machine monsters is another metaphorical aspect. Along with the tablets, shaped as the ancestors that tell the history of the people. There's a lot of themes going on in this game, and I just wanted to get a discussion rolling trying to decipher some of the metaphorical imagery in the game. I'll perhaps elaborate more on some of my thoughts when I have more time.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Ok, it's seemingly impossible for me to play through this with a single companion. I always try my best to keep the first companion with me through it all (exiting every level at the same time, ect.), but I still invariably end up with 3-4 companions by the end of the journey.

SmithnCo

I just started this tonight, played a little and got past the part with the
spotlight creatures.
One of the most gorgeous games I've ever played, if not the most. Meeting other guys through online is totally seamless too, and though there isn't a way to communicate ingame (through text/voice I should say) I did start to feel a certain kinship to the anonymous people, which is a very interesting aspect to the game.

Alucrid

Banned
Man..........this game is incredible.

The first companion and I seemed to be doing great. Then he sits down. Okay, I think, he's going to the bathroom, but then seconds later I watch in horror as he dissolves away into nothingness. I continue onward. Throughout the journey I went through a couple of companions. Some left of their own free will, others and I were separated by mistake, while some seemingly abandoned me.

The ending with the cold was incredible. Me and one companion trudged our way up there side by side until we were frozen, luckily we had the chance to meet up later though.

Is there anywhere to get screencaps of this game to use as wallpapers?

Lissar

Reluctant Member
AHHH Awesome. Downloading now. So how does this work? Do I have to friend any of y'all to play with people online, or do I just run into people randomly?

Yep, you can't choose anyone to play with. It's all random and anonymous. But trust me when I say it is much better that way!

I finished the game an hour ago. Took me roughly 2 hours to beat.

Overall I think I enjoyed Flower more, three things hurt my experience with the game unfortunately.

One, I came down with a cold. It wasn't too bad when I started playing but it got progressively worse and affected my ability to be absorbed in the world. By the end of the game I had a headache.

Second, horizontal banding on my tv. Anyone have this issue? What a goddamn annoying panel defect. It rears its head mostly on white backgrounds and light backgrounds, which this game has a plenty. Its not something I noticed too much when I first bought my tv but it sticks out like a sore thumb now. I really wish I took it back and waited for something better. The darker levels looked unbelievably good, maybe the best graphics I've ever seen, such a shame.

Three, my sound system was lackluster, I should have used headphones. Don't know why I didn't think of that, I guess my headache clouded my judgement.

So there it is, three issues, none of them at all related to the game. I could have waited to play it but it would have been another week and I was so impatient. I still enjoyed it a lot but it should have been so much more.

Two stand out moments were when I met my first companion. After traveling for a while he/she sat on a temple and just faded away. I was like nooooooo lol. The next was another companion, we had been together the majority of the game,
until we reached the broken bridge. We paused at the edge of the cliff and acknowledged the dangerous jump ahead with a chirp before making the jump. As I landed on the other side, I could just see my friend hit the side and fall to the foggy unknown below. It hit me pretty hard surprisingly. I was shouting like a mad man to no avail. I had to move on.
There was a ton of awesome moments throughout but those two instantly pop in my head when I reflect on the game.

Next week I'll give it another play-through and explore a lot more. Hopefully I'm in a better mood to really get into it.

Pollux

Ok. I'm exhausted and a little drunk so this won't be that good of a first impression review. But I'll give a better impression tomorrow.

At first I turned this on and really had no idea what to do, I sort of ran around this beautiful open area until I figured out the basics of the gameplay. After I went through the first tunnel I met another traveller (for lack of a better word) who had a ton of patterns on their cloak (which I'm assuming means they were an experienced "Journeyer"?). they showed me to a few hidden glyphs and we went through the next couple areas together.
The one were you have to get the large carpet bridge put together, and then where you're setting the "carpet sting-rays" free.
After that I had to sign off since I'm exhausted.

But my first impression, in the simplest words I can think of, is that this game makes me feel a sense of exploration, loneliness, and joy when I meet another player - that I haven't felt in a game in a long time.

I'm sure that's a cliche reaction at this point. But the scenery is beautiful, especially considering it's just in a desert. The way the wind blows, and the sand shifts and can cover the traveller is amazing. The atmosphere and music really conveys a sense of how tiny you are. You can just look out at the desert in the beginning and truly feel lost because of how vast the landscape seems.

I like the controls, they're very simple, which is a good thing because it doesn't get in the way of the "feeling of exploration" that made me want to keep playing. The music is awesome, it really complements this game well.

One of the best looking games I've played in a while. It's not that the graphics are really good (they are) it's that the art style really makes it stand out. It doesn't try and do too much, it does what it needs to convey the feeling it is trying to convey.

So far this game is very fun, and I look forward to playing tomorrow.

i've had this game since release date, installed and everything..but don't feel like playing it.. i enjoy the different testimonials of those who have played it though..i hope to get to it, i've bought ALL TGC games day1, i'm sure i'll like it, just can't seem to pull the trigger

Pollux

i've had this game since release date, installed and everything..but don't feel like playing it.. i enjoy the different testimonials of those who have played it though..i hope to get to it, i've bought ALL TGC games day1, i'm sure i'll like it, just can't seem to pull the trigger

Do it. If I weren't about to go to bed I would still be playing. You won't regret sitting down and havin a good time.

Do it. If I weren't about to go to bed I would still be playing. You won't regret sitting down and havin a good time.

i tend to listen to the words of the drunk/slightly drunk people a lot more than some would consider wise, yet its never steered me wrong..i was gonna watch a movie but i'll play Journey instead.

Zoe

Second, horizontal banding on my tv. Anyone have this issue? What a goddamn annoying panel defect. It rears its head mostly on white backgrounds and light backgrounds, which this game has a plenty. Its not something I noticed too much when I first bought my tv but it sticks out like a sore thumb now. I really wish I took it back and waited for something better. The darker levels looked unbelievably good, maybe the best graphics I've ever seen, such a shame.

I know with CRT's this could be an issue when you have coax cable TV connected.

Started this today and met a few companions and as much as I wanted to keep going, my wife wanted to sit down for ice cream and a movie.

I seemed to meet a trifecta of companions. One equally as new as I was, feeling our way through the game. Another watching what I do and following and the third had a 3rd degree gold striped robe haha and lead me to safe areas signalling me whenever I strayed too far.

And that last part is truly amazing. How this simplistic communication system is as universal and engaging as it is. I know, instinctively, when my companion is saying "Wait", " I'm still here", "Over here", "This is fun", "Hello", etc. Love it.

Soul_Pie

Played it through for a second time last night, this game is absolutely amazing on a great sound system, the esoteric, mystic atmosphere is heightened to a level that I can't explain. I turned the volume up to a really nice level and the game just consumed me. I think the audio design is perhaps just as impressive as the visual side. Dat soundtrack.

The gameplay managed to make even more sense the second time round, I gained more of an understanding of timing jumps and I took more time to explore, found some really cool little areas that I'd missed the first time around and just admired every nook and cranny of the environment. I don't think I've ever played a game that makes you want to look at ever single aspect of the environment, perhaps Shadow of the Colossus comes close.

For those playing it through for the first time, savour every aspect of the game because it's filled with incredible details that will have an effect on you.

I know with CRT's this could be an issue when you have coax cable TV connected.

I have a Plasma. I was actually considering hooking up my 50" Crt just for this game. Its horribly blurry and has overscan like a bitch but for some reason I can accept those issues.

One thing that annoyed me about my second partner was that he would never explore. There were moments where I see something in the distance and try to sing to him, but he would ignore me. I figured I'll just come back to it on my next playthrough. I could also never get him to jump in sync with me and see how high we could get. I had a feeling I would get a mediocre partner and I wasn't wrong.

Decided to take the plunge and buy this game...except I have been unable to because for whatever reason Sony will not accept money from my credit card. I've had this problem in the past, too...even though I know my information is correct and I have in fact bought things from PSN before. PSN support is fucking horrible so the only way I'd be able to play this game would be to buy a $20 card...no thanks. So, no Journey for me, thanks again Sony.

Unicorn

I think it is absolutely magical that if two people know how to fly and sing together, you are both able to stay airborn endlessly. Earlier me and another weathered soul flew around like a pair of songbirds. The slow sections of the game went by more than twice as fast when we were lifting each other up.

Seiru

Banned
Anyone else
jump down after their buddy when they fell off at the wind blowing section? I couldn't leave him behind :(

Jenova Chen ‏ @JenovaChen

"@fumito_ueda We are so glad you enjoyed our game! Journey's atmosphere was influenced by ICO & SotC to create a sense of small & awe."

Lunar15

Finished my first playthrough. Totally incredible. I was absolutely blown away. My favorite part had to be
The spotlight monster. Was not expecting something so frightening to pop out in a game that, until that point, was almost trance inducing and meditative. My partner and I just about shat our pants, and when I watched my partner get his scarf torn, there was a feeling of pain that I felt we shared. such a unique experience.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Awesome. I was massively impressed by how seamless it is as well.
My mind was blown when I came across somebody, and I mean brushed right up against him, while sunset sandsurfing alone. I don't know how the timing can work so perfectly while moving so fast...and it seemed so natural, just sliding right up to him...insane.

You just made the biggest mistake of your entire life.

This is a great point! There really is no need to complete it with them, it's something you just want to do.

I don't suppose he
was just standing still at the point where you turn out into the open... was he? :)

colinp

Banned
Anyone else
jump down after their buddy when they fell off at the wind blowing section? I couldn't leave him behind :(

I had my gf play yesterday
and she fell down right after trying to get on that frozen over ribbon. I was sad to watch her buddy not wait and just continue on...
Tragic!

I'm glad i went with zmoney's advice, slightly drunk advice always seems to work out for me! That aside, i enjoyed it, met about 10 different people and found myself bonding whem my plan was to play through once offline, but thankfully forgot to log out. That game company are one of the alltime greatest game designers in my book, this is a craft to them, not a cashin or pander piece, i have yet to dislike a game by them.

Jenova, Kelly, and the rest, you have my respect and monies!

Finished my first playthrough. Totally incredible. I was absolutely blown away. My favorite part had to be
The spotlight monster. Was not expecting something so frightening to pop out in a game that, until that point, was almost trance inducing and meditative. My partner and I just about shat our pants, and when I watched my partner get his scarf torn, there was a feeling of pain that I felt we shared. such a unique experience.

THIS so much for "relaxing romp"-__-

Reposting one more time. For the evening crowd!

get it here

p1.jpg

Beautiful. Thanks so much. <3

Chaos

Well, i've completed the game 4 times today. WTF.

is there anything to unlock besides the white cloak and the furthering of the designs on my cloak for each subsequent completion? When does the design 'max out'? After how many playthroughs?

I could be wrong but I think you max out the pattens on the cloak by completing the game 4 times in total.

Chuckie

Chaos said:

I could be wrong but I think you max out the pattens on the cloak by completing the game 4 times in total.

No I think the white cloak is the only one. And yeah it seems it is maxed out after four playes. When you have the 'squares' at the top row of the cloak designes it seems to stop.

OH MY GOD!!!!

Companion Trophy is SO STUPID :\

Every time I try to get it... I end up with stupid partner who end up separated from me at the VERY END of the last level, why? because they want to finish the level too fast and can't wait for the other one to catch up with them... or they don't use the O button so they can get located easily.... or I wait and wait and WAIT for them to catch up with me but they ends up lost -_-"

Seriously I've been trying to get this damn Trophy for HOURS and no luck!

jett

D-Member
OH MY GOD!!!!

Every time I try to get it... I end up with stupid partner who end up separated from me at the VERY END of the last level, why? because they want to finish the level too fast and can't wait for the other one to catch up with them... or they don't use the O button so they can get located easily.... or I wait and wait and WAIT for them to catch up with me but they ends up lost -_-"

This seems like the completely wrong game to go trophyhunting with. I really wouldn't do that. If I ever get the Companion trophy it'd be because of luck.

Chuckie

OH MY GOD!!!!

Poor you haha. I got that one after the first try.

This seems like the completely wrong game to go trophyhunting with. I really wouldn't do that. If I ever get the Companion trophy it'd be because of luck.

I did two journeys with a single companion, so to me it seems it is an easy trophy to get. Maybe you just got really unlucky companion-wise.

krishian

Yeah, Companion can be hard to get. I got lucky on my second run, was together with the same guy from the desert till the end. It was pretty awesome :)

Tomodachi

OH MY GOD!!!!

It's just an excuse to play it over and over again in the following weeks for me. I don't think it's clever to try and get it as soon as you can, you'll only end up spoiling your time with the game.

wouwie

Been through the journey 4 times. This game is one of the finest gaming experiences i have ever had.

Encountered
white cloaks
for the first time and they all seem very keen to show where everything is :) Which is a pity since that is not why i play this game. People rush through it way too fast sometimes. In fact, i may never get the
white cloak
because i like the idea of being dependant on someone else for charging up. It creates a bond.

Might go through it again one more time this evening. I hope there are going to be a lot of players in the next couple of weeks.

Ra1den

Encountered
white cloaks
for the first time and they all seem very keen to show where everything is :) Which is a pity since that is not why i play this game. People rush through it way to fast sometimes. In fact, i may never get the
white cloak
because i like the idea of being dependant on someone else for charging up. It creates a bond.

Even after you get the cloak, you don't need to wear it. It's optional.

Top Bottom