• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Journey |OT| Perfect Strangers

JWong

Banned
HOLY FUCK THE COOP IN THIS GAME!

IT"S LIKE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My buddy was dim-witted. Kept on getting us eaten. Kept on floundering about not knowing how to use the seaweed.

But I never left my buddy.

And...

When my buddy was ahead... my buddy would wait for me.

We flew together. We died together. We went to heaven together.

Amazing game.

Riposte

Would love to hear some more nuanced impressions which didn't sound like Hilary Goldstein wrote them. A little cynicism never hurt.

LiK

Did anyone else have trouble exploring in this game? My companions usually just charged straight ahead, and I didn't want to be left behind. :(

i think most people will rush through like me for the first time. i really wanted to just go through the levels the way they guided me instead of looking around. i dunno why. but i'll def explore in my replays.

this looks like a tough game to Plat simply because of the Companion requirements.

Gameboy415

I was somewhat hesitant to drop $14.99 on this despite the fact that I loved flOw and Flower, but after completing the game I have zero regrets!

Although it started a bit slow, the actual "journey" in the game was incredible and I don't think I've ever been more impressed with a multi-player gaming experience.
I love the fact that you have NO idea who your companions are and that you can only "communicate" with random sounds and actions.
No whiny fanboys. No racist/sexist insults. No rage-quitting. Just a blissful multi-player adventure from start to finish.

I can't wait to play through again and find all the secret stuff! :D

LiK

i loved at the end when they revealed
who you met along the way
. nice touch and unexpected.

patsu

I braked hard and aborted the game so that I don't finish it in one sitting. ^_^
Need to play it slowly.

Best sand I have ever seen.

Reminds me of Demon's Souls and Ico/SotC.

Read this last page, quickly turned on my PS3, and went to the JOURNEY DL screen.
Aaaawwww...I'm not a PSNplus subscriber!. Bummin'. :(
Sounds like a game I would appreciate greatly.

Leeness

HOLY FUCK THE COOP IN THIS GAME!

IT"S LIKE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amazing game.

Were you with me? Lmao. I got
eaten twice D:

What a beautiful little game. ;o; I am literally so happy right now.

Patapwn

This game felt more like Ico than Ico. The Co-op is absolutely fantastic. I played most of the game with one individual, and on my first playthrough no doubt. We might as well had been married. When I finally lost him/her/it I was very sad :'(

JWong

Banned
Were you with me? Lmao. I got
eaten twice D:

What a beautiful little game. ;o; I am literally so happy right now.

Damn, it doesn't get recorded in the player's met.

I only remember one of the names.
the name was "NOTGONNATELL". Seriously. lol

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
Kind of reminds me the later books of the Golden Compass series... the weird hell with the harpies and the like.

UFRA

This game is everything I hoped it would be.

The anonymous player aspect is actually really cool and adds to the atmosphere.

Was I playing with any of you today GAF??? You will know it if you encountered this... I was playing with someone through numerous levels, and we got to the
winter stage and when we encountered the giant flying thing that attacked us,
I got glitched and was spinning forever and ever stuck between a wall and a post lmao.

So many times I had a smile on my face when I was playing with someone. Just amazing.

Jtrizzy

Damn just got home and bought plus thinking the game was free if you joined. derp. Just paid $33 for this game. Sounds like the it's worth it for dat extra week though.

Clipjoint

Holy fucking shit that was epic. I can't remember the last time a game gave me chills like that. Perfection. One of the best experiences I've ever gone through as a gamer. I played with one partner start to finish, and we had a spiritual bonding experience. Bravo.

Jtrizzy

Honestly, I've been anticipating this game for quite some time, and waiting a week to play it would've killed me. D'ling now.

Freakin psn plus. I think the last time I had it was for some beta. Oh well, Sony deserves money for supporting TGC.

Whoever I am playing with is awesome. We wait for each other and we've both found things we wouldn't have seen without each other.

Would love to hear some more nuanced impressions which didn't sound like Hilary Goldstein wrote them. A little cynicism never hurt.

Cynicism? I won't provide any, but there were a few elements of the game I wasn't completely happy with.

Warning: these spoilers are only for people who completed the game.
The sections that propel you forward are fun. The break up the gameplay, and the music and scenery are excellent. But in a game where there is no time limit and a heavy emphasis on exploration - especially with the incentive to discover secrets - it was frustrating seeing collectibles that I wasn't able to reach simply because the game wouldn't let me. I had the same issue with Flower; if there are no secrets to be found, then I'm fine with it. But subsequent playthroughs will require memory or a walkthrough, and it's frustrating to have to think "go left, then hang right, then stay on the left" when being pushed through a section.

The invisible walls were extremely frustrating, especially in the early, open areas. The worst was the second section, where you can see ruins in the distance that appear climbable. Then you start to head over there and you realize just how little space you have. If you see something interesting in the distance, of course you're going to want to explore it. The later parts of the game (especially the final area) were very good about this, but it was still annoying to be walking towards something interesting and have wind blowing you backwards.

The game really is excellent, though. No moment in the entire experience is wasted, and I can't imagine playing through the game only once or twice. It's one of the best things I've played in a long time, and it's absolutely worth the price and most of the accolades it's been getting.

Just stopped playing for the night.

Not too far, but my partner was pretty cool. Only have one trophy so far but I want more lol.
KuGsj.gif

I'll definitely play again tomorrow and probably for the rest of the week. Sorry ME3, I'll start playing you this weekend, promise.

Duffyside

Banned
Well, upon watching people play the beta via stream I thought I was in Amir0x's boat. But I like to support the industry in stuff like this, and it was getting good reviews, and what the hell, it's pretty to look at, so what the heck, right?

... :O

What a wonderful experience. I hate that fucking
blocksnakedragon
, but I didn't expect it either. I originally had worries about the game looking too same-y, too much brown desert... I was wrong. I wondered how they'd address people's desires to know who they played with, and they handled it wonderfully. I wondered if there was going to be any gameplay variety to keep the thing fresh, there was. I was pleasantly surprised on every level.

Seriously, the fucking credits of this game are better than most things I watch/play these days. And no, that is not a commentary on my tastes. ... Jerks.

Duffyside

Banned
So how long is the joke OP going to stay? I loved that it happened, but it is going to properly replaced at some point, right?

Duffyside

Banned
Whoever I am playing with is awesome. We wait for each other and we've both found things we wouldn't have seen without each other.

Yeah, I had a friend like that for a bit. It was awesome, and we'd bark at each other to say like "hey, over here!"

But then he ejected after he got
tore up by blocksnakedragon
. Really bummed me out.

Speevy

Banned
I can't really describe what I've just experienced in any other way than...

I didn't know they allowed you to take cameras into Heaven.

JWong

Banned
I'm going to imagine that's going to be the favorite part of the game for the vast majority of the people. The visuals are just breathtakingly beautiful there, and combined with the sheer joy of the "surfing"... just pure joy.

That's also a very nice song on that video, by the way.

Nah, my favourite part were those intense moments with my buddy.

And we didn't even have sex.

Speevy

Banned
Okay, just finished the game. Words are really hard to come by.

The downloadable space has no shortage of games which aspire to be something more than just ordinary shooters and platformers. Limbo, Outland, Braid, flower as well as several other games have tried to evoke emotions and dazzle the eye. A clean, interesting art style is the one thing these games have in common.

I believe Journey is the culmination of what these companies aspired to do. It is the highest peak of a place that you never knew you wanted to see. It is proof positive that the digital space on consoles is a thing you cannot confine to a $1 app.

From top to bottom, Journey is magnificent. Its presentation is at once exhilarating, heartbreaking, mysterious, and dangerous. The game visits the same sorts of forgotten realms Team ICO showed us so many years earlier, but this time with an unparalleled triumph of high definition beauty. Gameplay is simple and fun, while allowing players to experience the world together. Music is what brings the experience from a level of great to utterly brilliant, as you feel precisely what the developers intended.

I cannot possibly give this game a higher recommendation. It is pure class without the pretense. Pure joy without needing to borrow from its action-based contemporaries. A feast for the eyes and the soul. You will be moved.

10/10

Top Bottom