• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin' |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

Fox318

who the blue hell is falcon arrow?

The Hurricane's arch rival!!!

hYtw2vT.jpg

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Or do you mean the guy who was a good poster and helped keep this thread existing and prevented it from being closed after the Taylor Swift crap.
There is enough room in the thread for a wide variety of topics to be discussed. Rarely is anything posted in this thread that could be deemed off topic. Occasionally something from gaming or a movie might find it's way into the rotation, but the conversation always finds its way back into wrestling. The community has fans of just about every facet of wrestling and there isn't a day I don't see people discussing wrestling from various eras or promotions.

kiguel182

Every wrestler has at least one person who likes their work and one who dislikes their work here, which I don't believe is a common feature for professional wrestling discussions online: hivemind smark mentality praises X and Y and hates A and B, because those are the parameters to signal to others you're "one of them" and thus you can pass as a good wrestling fan.

WrassleGAF rises above and has a full spectrum of opinions on everyone.

Except the Miz. Nobody likes the Miz.

I think liking someone's work or not is one thing but most of the comments here seem to be about someone's body. Which is just weird.

Like people saying Punk looks bad when he is clearly in better shape than most people here or how Owens is fat like that has anything to do with him as an entertainer.

That's what annoys me most about this place.

Or do you mean the guy who was a good poster and helped keep this thread existing and prevented it from being closed after the Taylor Swift crap.

Why are you still mad about drama a mod cleared up and then said we all needed to shut up about

You mean the guy who stanned Kevin Owens and had to announce his departure because it would otherwise have gone unnoticed?

Yeah, if you're going to leave, just leave. Don't throw a public fit and say you're being driven away by people like anybody here takes anything that seriously

dream

I think Kevin Owens's fatness actually reveals a lot about his toughness. I lost all respect for him when I saw him turn to take Fin Balor's double stomp finisher on his side rather than his bulbous stomach.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Because there are no faces booked strongly enough to kick their ass so all we get is a bunch of segments of faces being goaded to the ring only for the heel to do the fake out and walk away.

I don't understand. Its professional wrestling, the job is to hype you on the actual confrontation at a PPV.

There is enough room in the thread for a wide variety of topics to be discussed. Rarely is anything posted in this thread that could be deemed off topic. Occasionally something from gaming or a movie might find it's way into the rotation, but the conversation always finds its way back into wrestling. The community has fans of just about every facet of wrestling and there isn't a day I don't see people discussing wrestling from various eras or promotions.

Agreed for the most part. We never go a page without at least some wrestling discussion, but we can also have conversations about other stuff too because who can talk about wrestling all the time honestly. This community and NFLGAF are the best for that in my opinion: healthy mix of talking about anything and everything with pals.

Basically:

we [a]re all pretty diverse in our opinions here. Wrasslegaf has become much nicer since all that indy failure Daniel Bryan became wheelchair bound.

Cagey

Banned
I think liking someone's work or not is one thing but most of the comments here seem to be about someone's body. Which is just weird.

Like people saying Punk looks bad when he is clearly in better shape than most people here or how Owens is fat like that has anything to do with him as an entertainer.

Professional wrestling is a superficial business. The male competitors wear tights or even trunks and are often shirtless. Take away the shinpads and guys like Orton and Neville and Sheamus wrestle weekly in IFBB contest outfits, for crying out loud. Look matter, looks matter, body matters, and it's funny to discuss.

Punk is slimming down to make weight for UFC; I think Punk looks great, others think he's looking too thin. But his body composition is a proxy for fitness, he needs to get fit for a real fight, so it's a topic.

Owens is a fat guy. Personally, I love it, and it adds greatly to his schoolyard bully gimmick. He legitimately looks the role of an adult version of that heavy kid who was just 30% larger than everyone in elementary school, felt insecure, and handled those insecurities in an unproductive manner by being a dickbag to everyone.

MC Safety

A fancy way to say a troll

Well, yeah. But a bunch of gimmick posters here also talked about wrestling as if they were real wrestlers. They didn't make posts as much as they did cut fake promos. It was weird and creepy.

The forum's already kind of insular and exclusionary. People here pine for posters who were permabanned months ago.

kiguel182

Professional wrestling is a superficial business. The male competitors wear tights or even trunks and are often shirtless. Take away the shinpads and guys like Orton and Neville and Sheamus wrestle weekly in IFBB contest outfits, for crying out loud. Look matter, looks matter, body matters, and it's funny to discuss.

Punk is slimming down to make weight for UFC; I think Punk looks great, others think he's looking too thin. But his body composition is a proxy for fitness, he needs to get fit for a real fight, so it's a topic.

Owens is a fat guy. Personally, I love it, and it adds greatly to his schoolyard bully gimmick. He legitimately looks the role of an adult version of that heavy kid who was just 30% larger than everyone in elementary school, felt insecure, and handled those insecurities in an unproductive manner by being a dickbag to everyone.

Punk isn't a wrestler yet people keep bringing him up and saying he is out of shape. It's ridiculous.

And yeah, Owens is fat. But is there any value to repeating that ad naseum and just keep making fat jokes about him?

This thread is full of gimmick posters and off topic stuff but that isn't news. And I'm not criticising commenting on how a wrestler looks just how often is done and specially with Punk who isn't even on the WWE anymore.

kiguel182

Well, yeah. But a bunch of gimmick posters here also talked about wrestling as if they were real wrestlers. They didn't make posts as much as they did cut fake promos. It was weird and creepy.

The forum's already kind of insular and exclusionary. People here pine for posters who were permabanned months ago.

Posters that were part of the problem to begin with.

But I mean, if a group of people here wants to be insular and shit more power to them I guess. It's obvious how this works by now.

RP912

Banned
One thing I can say about Owens. Dude can pull off a powerbomb like DDP does a diamond cutter. He does the shit with such finesse.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

We don't compare them to us, we compare them to their peers. I agree Punk is looking pretty tough compared to wrestling message board posters.

kiguel182

We don't compare them to us, we compare them to their peers. I agree Punk is looking pretty tough compared to wrestling message board posters.

He is an MMA fighter. What matters is how he fights. Analysing every photo of him and saying "he looks like shit" has little value until we see how he fights.

Mcgreggor and Aldo are not bulky either for example.

Also, Punk probably looks like he wants to and knows better than whatever people are commenting here in regards to his body or his health anyway.

Punk isn't a wrestler yet people keep bringing him up and saying he is out of shape. It's ridiculous.

And yeah, Owens is fat. But is there any value to repeating that ad naseum and just keep making fat jokes about him?

This thread is full of gimmick posters and off topic stuff but that isn't news. And I'm not criticising commenting on how a wrestler looks just how often is done and specially with Punk who isn't even on the WWE anymore.

Punk keeps talking about wrestling in recent interviews which is why he was brought up.

I'm not bringing up the weight points people make in regards to him or Owens because I think they're stupid (personally) and irrelevant (because I'm not Vince and thus don't care about their physical looks)

That said your last point is kinda eh ("Punk who isn't even on the WWE anymore") because if we can't talk about people who meet that criteria we can't talk about Ronda Rousey, who has never signed a contract with WWE but was in Mania last year and looks to be in next year's in a match even (still without an official contract), either

kiguel182

Punk keeps talking about wrestling in recent interviews which is why he was brought up.

I'm not bringing up the weight points people make in regards to him or Owens because I think they're stupid (personally) and irrelevant (because I'm not Vince and thus don't care about their physical looks)

That said your last point is kinda eh ("Punk who isn't even on the WWE anymore") because if we can't talk about people who meet that criteria we can't talk about Ronda Rousey, who has never signed a contract with WWE but was in Mania last year and looks to be in next year's in a match even (still without an official contract), either

You can talk about whatever you want but this board's obsession with Punk and shitting on him is still overblown and honestly, tiring.

Rousey was at Mania and will probably be there next year. Punk won't so you only argue against yourself on that one.

I'm not expecting people to stop posts of random Punk photos with "what a skinny fat ass" comments. I'm just pointing out how annoying and stupid that is.

You can talk about whatever you want but this board's obsession with Punk and shitting on him is still overblown and honestly, tiring.

Rousey was at Mania and will probably be there next year. Punk won't so you only argue against yourself on that one.

I'm not expecting people to stop posts of random Punk photos with "what a skinny fat ass" comments. I'm just pointing out how annoying and stupid that is.

I absolutely agree with that whole last paragraph, and also find always shitting on him old hat. I just thought discussing him with his recent comments was actually fair of people to do, and not talking about people currently in the company would set a bad precedent because the person who might be responsible for the shit Authority angle finally ending* technically currently isn't in the company

*Even if Rousey/Steph is shit however it happens, I just really do hope that's the end of the Authority. Even Vince didn't go 2 or 3 years without comeuppance and some part of the storyline ending.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Don't like someone's opinion? Tired of seeing their posts? USE THE IGNORE FUNCTION. And here's the best part, they go away. And you never have to look at their posts.

A lot of the complaints here are because people don't like someone they do. Just ignore them. Nobody whines about the Big Show being called fat, or a ratings killer, or that we don't want to see him. It's only when their faves are involved. So get with it, and use the goddamn ignore list function. Your life will improve. Just use it. That's the easiest way to keep from catching feels when someone mentions "Fat Boy Owens" or "CM Punk looks like a weenie" - if you catch feels over these things, use the ignore list.

"But it's just all people ever mention". - use the ignore list
"This place used to be better" - use the ignore list
"I'm so sick of gimmick posters" - USE THE IGNORE LIST

Don't be like a goddamn millennial and wait for someone to get banned. GET RID OF THEM YOURSELF. Don't be incapable. You're given a tool, use it.

Don't like someone's opinion? Tired of seeing their posts? USE THE IGNORE FUNCTION. And here's the best part, they go away. And you never have to look at their posts.

A lot of the complaints here are because people don't like someone they do. Just ignore them. Nobody whines about the Big Show being called fat, or a ratings killer, or that we don't want to see him. It's only when their faves are involved. So get with it, and use the goddamn ignore list function. Your life will improve. Just use it. That's the easiest way to keep from catching feels when someone mentions "Fat Boy Owens" or "CM Punk looks like a weenie" - if you catch feels over these things, use the ignore list.

Don't be like a goddamn millennial and wait for someone to get banned. GET RID OF THEM YOURSELF. Don't be incapable. You're given a tool, use it.

fucking THANK YOU

RP912

Banned

0cSjI.gif

Agreed.

Sephzilla

BzrRqcu.gif

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

I like you guys but this is the most consistently off-topic community thread on either side of GAF; the denial about it makes it even weirder.

The best part about when people defend not using the ignore list is when they say "yeah but why should i do that when i can just scroll past it"

you never scroll past it, you always complain about the person's posts again later

there's also browser add-ons to make the "this poster is on your ignore list" thing go away completely so you never have to worry about them ever again.

This didn't deserve to be bottom'd

This is why you're the best Vince (saying this as a "goddamn millenial" too)

RP912

Banned
I like you guys but this is the most consistently off-topic community thread on either side of GAF; the denial about it makes it even weirder.

What's so off topic about this community than any other community. The only time it got awkward and annoying was during the anime discussion a few days ago :/. Other than that, it's not that serious. Sometimes it's good to open the window and get some air in here once a blue moon.

Angry Grimace

I mean, its not like I care whether you guys go off topic as there's not 24/7 wrasslin' to actually discuss.

But seriously, friends, the other community threads don't randomly spit out 50 posts of Metal Gear Solid takes. The only real comparison is probably the offseason threads for various sports.

Ithil

I see a whole lot of "Boy this gaming side thread sure is stupid" posts regularly.

Sephzilla

I mean, its not like I care whether you guys go off topic as there's not 24/7 wrasslin' to actually discuss.

But seriously, friends, the other community threads don't randomly spit out 50 posts of Metal Gear Solid takes.

Most GAF communities that are fairly active go off topic a decent amount of the time, especially during down periods for the community topic itself. WrassleGAF tends to go off topic Tuesdays/Wednesdays before NXT/Lucha come on. The amount of off-topic stuff that happens here still doesn't hold a candle to a couple of other communities though. HaloGAF got so bad it got straight up transplanted from gaming side to OT.

Personally, I won't use ignore lists because I don't want to shield myself from opinions I may disagree with. While many people here usually have fair and balanced points on both sides of an argument, it often seems to me that there are some who are purposefully over-inflammatory in order to get a rise out of others. That's the sort of bickering we could do without and I'd prefer to see people to be more sincere in their arguments, rather than trying to rile each other up.

Aiii

So not worth it
Personally, I won't use ignore lists because I don't want to shield myself from opinions I may disagree with. While many people here usually have fair and balanced points on both sides of an argument, it often seems to me that there are some who are purposefully over-inflammatory in order to get a rise out of others. That's the sort of bickering we could do without and I'd prefer to see people to be more sincere in their arguments, rather than trying to rile each other up.

Boots with that spot on post.

Top Bottom