• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT3| HHHNNNGGG (JYP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alta1r

He's right that Soshi are positively staid by comparison with other groups. I mean, my first exposure to them was the Gee and Genie MVs one after the other; Genie was straight up hot, and remains so, but he's fairly right about the way that (obvious attractiveness largely aside), Gee is just force of (exaggerated) personality. It's kind of a shame that Soshi MVs decreasingly present members as different - even if the difference is a kind of hyperactive caricature. There's a sense in which there is a one-two-punch going on with the performance and variety content (the former is choreographed and regularised, the latter is putatively unscripted and natural), and I get that they are trying to push the super-choreographed angle (for one thing, Japan seems to adore it).

But the variety thing is such an indispensable hook. At least, for KpopGAF, and I presume for a pretty substantial proportion of other international fans. And when they talk about the "connection" thing - it does have a lot to do with the disjunction and complementarity between what fans see in performance and what they see in variety.

iViJcwU6WfeF0.gif

Peru

Yes Ga-In! She went there! Yknow, in several ways. I love seeing sexuality represented so positively and brightly in a pop cultural product. This is public service stuff from Ga-In, top class.

Going through the rest of the album, which I know from the teasers isn't as cohesive as Step 2/4. First up 'Tinkerbell' is properly amazing.

Peru

I don't have the words to express how awesome Ga-In is and Loen for working with her like this.

The EP isn't as good as Step2/4 outside of Tinkerbell, but this MV makes up for that and more. Big k-pop moment.

vanty

So no one else thinks the blonde hair looks terrible? Not Nicole-level of travesty, but still no good at all. Makes her look even more like a visual kei dude from the neck up.

Peru

It's a colorful video, it fits. Also how the fuck can you focus on her hair after watching that beast of a video.

The NewYorker article was very good, pointing out the why some fans love K-Pop, and why some people will never like it: manufactured to perfection. Every time when I read of some idol 'natural beauty' I can't help but roll my eyes.

Overall a very good article.

luso

JvXTP.jpg

Good Gain MV, nice song, and that's right, sexuality is well represented, not as so many groups does when they show skin everywhere and does strange dances, yet still looks fake.
Ga In oozes woman sexuality, she's a woman, not a girl. And MV seems to show that contrast, girl vs woman, cute scenarios and bright colours vs. bed scene and cooler tones.

Kyon

Banned
I don't have the words to express how awesome Ga-In is and Loen for working with her like this.

The EP isn't as good as Step2/4 outside of Tinkerbell, but this MV makes up for that and more. Big k-pop moment.

Tinkerbell sounds like a track from Step 2/4 and it shits. Bloom is great of course but its just that Tinkerbell suits her style better.

At least he is entertaining in ridiculous K-pop way. WGM with them was fun. Tuned in to Sunhwa + whatever - omfg, how obnoxious can the guy be? Kang couple is a saving grace.

*Nods in agreement* :D

Peru

Tinkerbell is great and it was amazing to see such a 'weird' song on Music Bank today. Yeah, it's more her sound, but to fit this 'discovering your sexuality' thing a bright, joyous song actually works better.

Here's that Music Bank performance, btw http://youtu.be/kIbgntNpYsQ the Bloom routine is very pretty and clever and she looks stunning.

dokish

Banned
The NewYorker article was very good, pointing out the why some fans love K-Pop, and why some people will never like it: manufactured to perfection. Every time when I read of some idol 'natural beauty' I can't help but roll my eyes.

Overall a very good article.

Since when people stick to K-Pop because of the 'manufactured to perfection'?

Yeah, I know, you may be attracted to SNSD by colorful and flashy music videos, T-Aras' sexy legs and stuff, but if you are into this just because of 'perfection', soon enough you will grown out of it.

People don't watch tons of variety shows with idols because of perfection, is because of their charisma and personality. Just look at how many of Soshi fans have watched Hello Baby, Dangerous Boys, Factory, etc. We even watch bad dramas for them. You don't freaking start taking hangul lessons just because someone looks hot/pretty in a music video.

Kyon

Banned
Tinkerbell is great and it was amazing to see such a 'weird' song on Music Bank today. Yeah, it's more her sound, but to fit this 'discovering your sexuality' thing a bright, joyous song actually works better.

Here's that Music Bank performance, btw http://youtu.be/kIbgntNpYsQ the Bloom routine is very pretty and clever and she looks stunning.

HyunA and Hyori couldnt even be this raunchy and classy at the same time lmfao

JKTrix

Now that you've gotten it out of your system dokish, you can ignore the next time someone comes in talking about it. Like the rest of us do.

It was an interesting enough article from what I read of it.

Salazar

Now that you've gotten it out of your system dokish, you can ignore the next time someone comes in talking about it. Like the rest of us do.

It was an interesting enough article from what I read of it.

They need to send someone to ether KKS.

People don't watch tons of variety shows with idols because of perfection, is because of their charisma and personality. Just look at how many of Soshi fans have watched Hello Baby, Dangerous Boys, Factory, etc. We even watch bad dramas for them. You don't freaking start taking hangul lessons just because someone looks hot/pretty in a music video.

This is what the article implies taking Girls' Generation as an example - that everything about an idol life is carefully controlled and manufactured by the record company (SM gets called out for lawsuits, etc.).

The reporter ends the article by asking Tiffany if her "eye smile" is manufactured or real. She replies it is real, but what is she supposed to say with SM employee standing there?

In the end we don't really know how much of what the idols show is manufactured and what is real. We know however that in the interest of record companies is to make us BELIEVE everything is real. I am sure they go to great length to do just that. I know you and others would like to believe it's all "magical", that k-pop has that "something" that nothing else has, but the truth is 9 out of 10 this comes to very tangible reasons if you think about it.

neoism

This is what the article implies taking Girls' Generation as an example - that everything about an idol life is carefully controlled and manufactured by the record company (SM gets called out for lawsuits, etc.).

The reporter ends the article by asking Tiffany if her "eye smile" is manufactured or real. She replies it is real, but what is she supposed to say with SM employee standing there?

In the end we don't really know how much of what the idols show is manufactured and what is real. We know however that in the interest of record companies is to make us BELIEVE everything is real. I am sure they go to great length to do just that. I know you and others would like to believe it's all "magical", that k-pop has that "something" that nothing else has, but the truth is 9 out of 10 this comes to very tangible reasons if you think about it.

what is ggs deal in years.... 7 or more?

luso

Whats an eye-smile?

tumblr_mb23vbm0lo1rynxd5o1_500.jpg

tumblr_maj0i4oHGr1rac8owo1_250.gif

I read the article and in true I also believe K-pop will never be something relevant in USA.
It will stay a niche, nothing more. Like PSY, the successful songs will be short-lived and everything will stay as before, if K-pop survives with current model for long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom