• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT5| Controversies Over Nothing

IGAB is SNSD following a trend, not setting the path to follow. That´s why it still has not surpass The Boys in sales. It´s a lazy ass concept all around. Do you really think they need to do that at this point of their carrer? Being like everybody else?

Let me remind you that the only reason that IGAB had success and headlines on this side of the world is because you live in a post Gangnam Style era. Where the world knows what kpop is and looks for it through its biggest acts, no wonder why a hyped up comeback of one of them would have been a success.

Following a trend?! Hahaha did you just get into K-Pop in June 2013?

No one else before Soshi started the whole hokey bullshit of tempo changes and mashup of songs or whatever the you call it. Do pray tell, give me a list of people who've done that before Soshi.

By your logic, every big K-Pop act post GS should've gotten the same recognition that Soshi got this year, but that doesn't exist at all. If the world really did look into K-Pop then explain to me why G-Dragon, Taeyang, CL, Ailee, Psy, Nine Muses, Girls' Day, A-Pink, f(x), Miss A...I can go on and on... but explain to me why they don't get the same recognition as Soshi?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
One year later and IGAB is still a garbage song with hot mess styling and lame choreo.

But at least it isn't The Boys.

Ym1r

IGAB sucked so bad when I first heard it, but it kinda grew on me. The only part I hate more than anything else is the beginning with Yuri and Sooyoung.

Kabuto

haha I didn't even notice when watching it live but frickin Minah is too cute.

tumblr_mykznhtxbZ1sxywmso1_250.gif

llehuty

People talking of IGaB like it's the second coming of christ?

Don't get me wrong, I understand that it's something new and original, (Although I seriously think that this multiple songs into one thing was done before by Fiestar, but whatever). but IGaB was a hit because SNSD released it and their are under SM. Give this song to any other group from a smaller company and nobody would have cared.

I have to agree that during their promotional cycle, there were good live performances (when they began singing live and removed the TaeNy dumb solos near the end), but for some reason the performarnces have lost some sparkle in the last 10 months.

And yep, TTS is trash. At least the concept behind the first album/title track was trash.

Most boring song. Then Nine Muses turned up. Right after llehuty left too. Give me a call before you do anything rash, mate.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU. I was watching the boring begining of that performance while I was switching off my computer... SMH

llehuty. Kara were flawless.

Thats all you need to know.

Woah, so good. They are one of the few that really put an effort at this special occasions. The remix was top notch also. Still... I need a proper goodbye stage or something at MBC's gayo or I'm going to flip tables.

A present for you for all your cheering at irc.

tumblr_moly1qbbAn1ql0xjyo9_r1_250.gif

Those superpowers *.*

kingkitty

Following a trend?! Hahaha did you just get into K-Pop in June 2013?

No one else before Soshi started the whole hokey bullshit of tempo changes and mashup of songs or whatever the you call it. Do pray tell, give me a list of people who've done that before Soshi.

I think that Fiestar song came out before IGAB.

Niks

What? Their promotional period was marked by great, energetic performances, the song and performance damn near explodes near the end and has been a great hit later as well, like the Dream Concert with those fan chants - it's also their best single since Gee, but even if you're meh on it it's been a hit live. Of course they're tired of it and everything else at the year-end.

Agreed.

TTS is the prove that SNSD can and needs to keep growing up musically

I love TTS but this is just lol.

IGAB on the other hand... that song brought Soshi back to relevancy. Love it or hate it, that was one of the best things they've done in their entire career. Here was a group who could sit on their laurels and make bank with shitty ass derivative music, but they instead blow everyone's minds by releasing a beautiful mess that's still earning praises locally and internationally 11 months later. You're absolutely insane to think that IGAB should be erased from Soshi's existence. That's exactly what they needed and is the reason why they broke the 5 year girl group curse.

Agreed.

IGAB is SNSD following a trend, not setting the path to follow. That´s why it still has not surpass The Boys in sales. It´s a lazy ass concept all around. Do you really think they need to do that at this point of their carrer? Being like everybody else?

What trend? Again, lol.

One year later and IGAB is still a garbage song with hot mess styling and lame choreo.

But at least it isn't The Boys.

Shush you, but I agree on the boys part.

Let's be real tho, TTS was the best thing to happen in kpop.

No.

TTS was the worst thing ever.

Also, no.

And yep, TTS is trash. At least the concept behind the first album/title track was trash.

Agreed, the concept they chose for TTS was terribad. TTS has potential though.

luso

I'm back to town.

Really? You want to talk about that tired pastiche of the already awful sound of the many Lady Marmalades of pop history?

Suddenly... all the hate into TTS, incredible!
It may be not original, but it was a fun concept, and it's different from what SNSD is used to do, as well to give some change to the TTS girls.

IGAB also grew on me, but The Boys still has that little sore taste that doesn't leaves your ear.

Have some Taeng «
Taeyeon0136.gif
Taeyeon0137.gif
Taeyeon0138.gif

People talking of IGaB like it's the second coming of christ?

Don't get me wrong, I understand that it's something new and original, (Although I seriously think that this multiple songs into one thing was done before by Fiestar, but whatever). but IGaB was a hit because SNSD released it and their are under SM. Give this song to any other group from a smaller company and nobody would have cared.

It was the second coming of Christ, for Soshi at least.

Like I said, they could've thrown a piece of shit on the wall and Sones would still eat it up but they chose to break the mold and do something completely different than everyone else. Had they released another The Boys or Twinkle, they'd further sink into irrelevancy outside of Sones. With IGAB, it's still being talked about almost a year later. That kind of effect is impossible to create unless it's worth talking about, and obviously IGAB managed to do that.

That's my main point about IGAB. It's one of the Soshi cornerstones, like Gee and Genie before it. When you talk Soshi, those 3 are gonna be the first things that'll spring to your mind. Not Twinkle, RDR or The Boys.

Re: Fiestar. Yeah, I had a feeling some nugu group did it before Soshi, but like llehuty said, it's Fiestar. At that point nobody gave a shit about them. If they were as popular as Soshi then yeah it would be totally different and I'd say I was wrong. But they weren't, so while you could say they did it first, it was Soshi who "perfected" it and brought it to the masses. :p

neoism

MEHEEHHH all dis IGAB hate.. smh.... I loved it the album was a little weak but that song was awesome I wish most of their tracks were that long. I just hope they at least do 2 or 3 good MVs this time and not just go with one single and MV... also TTS fo lif ;p

It was the second coming of Christ, for Soshi at least.

Like I said, they could've thrown a piece of shit on the wall and Sones would still eat it up but they chose to break the mold and do something completely different than everyone else. Had they released another The Boys or Twinkle, they'd further sink into irrelevancy outside of Sones. With IGAB, it's still being talked about almost a year later. That kind of effect is impossible to create unless it's worth talking about, and obviously IGAB managed to do that.

That's my main point about IGAB. It's one of the Soshi cornerstones, like Gee and Genie before it. When you talk Soshi, those 3 are gonna be the first things that'll spring to your mind. Not Twinkle, RDR or The Boys.

Re: Fiestar. Yeah, I had a feeling some nugu group did it before Soshi, but like llehuty said, it's Fiestar. At that point nobody gave a shit about them. If they were as popular as Soshi then yeah it would be totally different and I'd say I was wrong. But they weren't, so while you could say they did it first, it was Soshi who "perfected" it and brought it to the masses. :p

No, no, and NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

IGAB it´s nowhere near in the same league in every single way to those songs, and no, the third cornerstone besides Gee and Genie is The Boys, whether you like it or not (most of us don´t, including me) but that song is what shoot SNSD to the world.

TTS crap? The mini album itself it´s better than the IGAB album. The only thing flawed about TTS is that it should have been JTS if Jessica was´nt so lazy.

Taeyeon0134.gif

Taeyeon0135.gif

Sevarus

Just watched a lot of the SBS performances. Can't believe I'm saying this, but CL was the best thing there.

Also can't believe that Soshi's performance was the same song as this.

Hopefully their new single inspires some more, um... trying.

DXPett1

No, no, and NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

IGAB it´s nowhere near in the same league in every single way to those songs, and no, the third cornerstone besides Gee and Genie is The Boys, whether you like it or not (most of us don´t, including me) but that song is what shoot SNSD to the world.

I agree. Sure IGAB has certainly kept Soshi in good sted in KPOP land (and to a smaller degree in the world thanks to YT promotion) it was The Boys that took them outside of the Korea bubble (which includes international fandom) and on to the world stage. Remember the Letterman performance? Outside PSY, what other KPOP artist has performed on a similar stage?

Also, any place to get the entire SBS Gayo Daejun ?

luso

Just watched a lot of the SBS performances. Can't believe I'm saying this, but CL was the best thing there.

Also can't believe that Soshi's performance was the same song as this.

Hopefully their new single inspires some more, um... trying.

It may not be a complete excuse but they had their SM Town concert a week ago, they are in the 3 Gayos (and their rehearsals) and preparing their new album. They should take some days off before going to a new promotion cycle plus 3rd Japan tour...
But I hope their comeback is full of energy as always.

giri

It may not be a complete excuse but they had their SM Town concert a week ago, they are in the 3 Gayos (and their rehearsals) and preparing their new album. They should take some days off before going to a new promotion cycle plus 3rd Japan tour...
But I hope their comeback is full of energy as always.

Uhh

Thats a bullshit excuse.

SNSD have just become complacent and haven't really put in the effort lately. They actually looked drunk @ KBS.

Girls day are in all 3 daejuns AND have a comeback on the 4th of january, AND have promoted a ridiculous amount this year.

Yes, because signing with an international label instantly makes you famous worldwide.

Universal signed them because they were already popular beforehand, do you really think The Boys managed to convince Universal to sign them?

Hell no it ain't.

Them performing in Letterman, Kelly and that French show is obviously the work done by Universal. I guarantee you that if they could've performed something else instead of The Boys, they would've. But of course they couldn't since The Boys was unfortunately the song that they were promoting at that time.

Sevarus

I liked "The Boys" a lot, too. It definitely felt like an upgrade to their sound and image. The girls themselves never seemed to be too into it, though, which kind of dulls it for me.

Fafnir

Everyone saying that the IGAB performance was lackluster because Soshi were not trying please show me timestamp examples from this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNX3_pDFNjY

How the hell can you tell with the shoddy camera work? Are you able to tell they are not giving 100% from the nose bleed seat camera focus?

The only performances that looked good were the ones not on the front stage.

Everyone saying that the IGAB performance was lackluster because Soshi were not trying please show me timestamp examples from this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNX3_pDFNjY

How the hell can you tell with the shoddy camera work? Are you able to tell they are not giving 100% from the nose bleed seat camera focus?

LOL to tiffany at 0:49, just noticed that xD

dokish

Banned

WHAT? Followin what trend? Lazy concept?

The launch of IGAB was followed by people saying "WTF is SNSD doing" and "This is the biggest crap ever produced". It was never a trend. They created something completely new.

And TTS...

With Peru 100%.

giri

lol, if you want to go into denial about it go ahead, but i'm not writing dissertations for sone's.

The KBS showing in particular was hilariously bad.

Fafnir

lol, if you want to go into denial about it go ahead, but i'm not writing dissertations for sone's.

Just show me a timestamp example? I didn't ask for a dissertation just an example where they are not trying. What was "hilariously bad" about the KBS performance?

Are you just talking shit with no backbone?

Eldren

no. I liked it. and i also was one of 3 people (joongkookie was one of the others) that instantly liked IGAB too.

I liked "The Boys" a lot, too. It definitely felt like an upgrade to their sound and image. The girls themselves never seemed to be too into it, though, which kind of dulls it for me.

Oh ok, well I'm glad I'm not the only one. I love that whole era. I wish I'd been into k-pop back then, I would have been utterly slain. I still think that's the best they've ever looked, with the suits and everything. (I also liked IGAB when I first heard it too.)

I actually thought the KBS show was (marginally) better. I liked the dance intro (Sunny and Hyo were amazing, as expected) and they didn't sound awful. The SBS perf was messy. They clearly weren't comfortable on the stage, Hyo sounded like a strangled cat trying to sing Yoona's line in Express 999, the dancing was off in IGAB. It was scrappy. But they looked good at least.

dokish

Banned
Retarded people. If I was able to buy the fucking tickets for the SM Town thing and SNSD performed like shit, I wouldn't complain, I would just laugh my ass off, take a bunch of pictures/video, wish I was boning any of them (except Hyo) and go home happy.

We are really negligent about the kind of lives these women have. Anyone that think they can shit sit on their ass and make banks of money is wrong. Is not easy to "just shut your mouth, do what the manager say and that's it".

This is not America/western where you can have Justin Bieber pulling stunts and shit all the time and get away with it.

EDIT: Drunk Fany is hilarious.

Top Bottom