• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kamala Khan getting doxxed in upcoming issue of Ms. Marvel

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ACTUAL NYC of the 1980s and early 90s. wasn't much better.

New York had 336 homicides in 2016.

In 1990 that number was 2,245.

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/04/23/n...a-record-while-other-crimes-fell-in-1990.html

Ninjas took over an entire neighborhood for months back then? The entire population turned into zombie mutant spider like beings? Hulks level multiple buildings and declare war in the city? Hero's each other up in public over their little registration?

Seems kinda hard to compare

Ninjas took over an entire neighborhood for months back then? The entire population turned into zombie mutant spider like beings? Hulks level multiple buildings and declare war in the city? Hero's each other up in public over their little registration?

Seems kinda hard to compare

Fun fact: NYC of the 80s was overrun by Decepticons.

Not a joke, actually true

OmegaX

Well, Lois Lane did it to Superman so why not, could be an interesting arc for Kamala. But yeah, Marvel does love to spoil every detail in advance.

That Lois Lane was an asshole. She also did it to Shazam, and Tim Drake on Future's End. I'm glad they killed her off.

Nice evasion, how many issues is that?

Because everyone acts like she's this big breakout star and I'm trying to quantify exactly how many sales she gets.

Haven't seen actual sales numbers in a while, but if I remember correctly Ms. Marvel sells just OK in print but absolutely dominates the charts in digital sales.

Wait, what?! Am I missing a joke?

A Gang gives a name to students fear: Decepticons

A loosely organized street gang with fewer than 60 members and a name inspired by a cartoon has taken on near-mythical status among high school students in New York City, the police and school officials say.

The gang is called the Decepticons. Its members are said to lurk outside of city high schools - generally in Manhattan -mugging homeward-bound students and taking anything from their shoes to their earrings. Rumors have spread that they are about to ''invade'' schools. Frightened parents have kept their children home on the days of the supposed invasion.

Five Decepticons were arrested on assault charges last year and gang members were charged in 43 robberies, mostly involving thefts of clothing and jewelry, the police say. But the impact of the gang on students' psyches goes far beyond the group's reality, the authorities say. The fear of the 'Decepts' - as they are called in in teen-age shorthand - reflects a growing sense of dread that many students feel about street violence, the police and school officials say.

''Everybody's heard of the Decepticons,'' one boy said as he hurried away from a reporter outside Park West High School on Manhattan's West Side. ''They're everywhere. No. Don't use my name. They're vicious.''

The article says they were the largest gang in NYC at the time.

Gang violence is a terrible thing, but I can't help but laugh my ass off thinking about NYC parents, students, and cops being driven crazy by Decepticons.

Edit: this article is more entertaining, though short on factual accounts:

Oddly enough, the original Deceptz were gifted graphic arts students from Brooklyn Technical High School who orchestrated a ”flash mob" style of mischief. ”They committed senseless acts of violence," describes Soldier, president and CEO of Negast Entertainment, who was a pre-teen living in Brooklyn at the time.

I used to see 40-50 dudes run up on people on the train at one time. I mean, New York at the time was crazy. People would smoke weed on the train and in the movie theaters...Bernard Goetz had shot those kids on the train...it was a lot of just senseless stuff going on," says Soldier.

Another person recalled, ”Decepticons used to shut down streets – between 250 and 300 Deceptz use to lock down 42nd St [in Manhattan]. Stop traffic and all [that],even shut down train lines with fear. I remember NYPD coming with riot gear and patty wagons and horses and vans trying lock n***as up."

However, as a gang, the Deceptz were far from fun, cartoon characters who were consumed with boyish fun and brawling for expensive gear. There are countless stories of them pouring into a place, hundreds deep, causing a ruckus that brought entire neighborhoods to a standstill. Rapper Jay-Z reminisced over the gang's control on his track ”BK Anthem" featuring MC Lyte: ”Wasn't safe on the A-Train/ in G or the F/Decepticons, LoLife niggas/Snatch the polos off your chest."

http://allhiphop.com/2010/09/15/the-decepticons-gangs-of-new-york-part-1/

NEO0MJ

No joke. Real world NYC was literally overrun with alien robots for a few years. This was before the internet though, so it's understandable that you didn't hear about it.

I don't believe you.gif

A Gang gives a name to students fear: Decepticons

The article says they were the largest gang in NYC at the time.

Gang violence is a terrible thing, but I can't help but laugh my ass off thinking about NYC parents, students, and cops being driven crazy by Decepticons.

Edit: this article is more entertaining, though short on factual accounts

OK, this is super funny. Crimes are horrible but I can't help but laugh when I replace whatever noun a culprit might be with "Decepticons"

kmfdmpig

I like Ms. Marvel quite a bit, but if we're going to discuss whether Marvel is good at handling real world issues I think we only need to look toward their election issue. The issue had page after page about the importance of voting, how to register, where college students can vote, etc.. It was basically half a superhero story and half a how-to guide for voting.

That's not so bad, you're probably saying. Getting people to vote is important.
The problem - it came out on 11/30, which was more than 3 weeks after the election. Oops!

http://www.comicsbeat.com/review-ms-marvel-13s-statement-on-civic-engagement-is-great-but-late/

Slayven

I like Ms. Marvel quite a bit, but if we're going to discuss whether Marvel is good at handling real world issues I think we only need to look toward their election issue. The issue had page after page about the importance of voting, how to register, where college students can vote, etc.. It was basically half a superhero story and half a how-to guide for voting.

The problem - it came out on 11/30, which was more than 3 weeks after the election. Oops!

http://www.comicsbeat.com/review-ms-marvel-13s-statement-on-civic-engagement-is-great-but-late/

But Sam Wilson is sooooo good

I didn't even POST in here

But you were thinking about it

eh...most places don't have same day registration anyway, so it's not a matter of being a few weeks late, we're talking months to half a year in some cases.

Slayven

Slay's gonna ruin Carol's movie for me I just know it.
A supervillain who's goal is to ruin movies? That would be silly

397858-4603-130815-1-wonder-man.jpg

Cth

Actually the Hulk had his id revealed a lot earlier than that.

He was in the future when Rick Jones believed he was dead and revealed that Banner was the Hulk.

Tales to Astonish #77

kmfdmpig

eh...most places don't have same day registration anyway, so it's not a matter of being a few weeks late, we're talking months to half a year in some cases.

Sure, it would have been even better earlier in the year, but much of it was how to vote and why it's important to vote for those who are already registered, so even if it had come out on 11/02 instead of 11/30 it would have seemed much more relevant and timely.

Sure, it would have been even better earlier in the year, but much of it was how to vote and why it's important to vote for those who are already registered, so even if it had come out on 11/02 instead of 11/30 it would have seemed much more relevant and timely.
It was clearly more important for the book to get caught up in CWII for months which caused its physical sales to go down like pretty much every other tie-in.

kmfdmpig

It was clearly more important for the book to get caught up in CWII for months which caused its physical sales to go down like pretty much every other tie-in.

Yeah, those tie in issues were dumb and while I think it's great that Kamala has a role outside of her solo book it seems like a mistake to mix her solo book in with those types of events as it ruins the tone of the book and messes with the schedule, as you say.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Have they even revealed how he made the world forget this time? I dropped the Soule run.

It's in the OP:

Lastly, Murdock admitted the truth himself, on the stand, to win a legal battle. This exposure forced him west to San Francisco for a time and into a rather daring red three-piece suit cum super hero costume. Recently, however, he has returned to New York City, secret identity once again under wraps due to soon-to-be revealed machinations.

Wait, so of the listed heroes in the OP:

Hulk (Banner) is dead.

Iron Man (Stark) is comatose.

Daredevil and Spider-Man's identity was retconed back to secret.

She-Hulk is PTSD-ing like a mofo post Civil War 2.

So... how is Kamala supposed to learn from these people...?

Wait hulk's dead wtf? I though he was immortal?

It really is a marvel that so many amateur superheroes can keep their identities secret.

Honestly? they don't, really.

There's a handful that have their identities "secret" from villains or the general public, but S.H.I.E.L.D., The Avengers, and/or law enforcement found out who they were pretty much immediately.

Ms. Marvel, Miles Morales, Squirrel Girl, Gwenpool, and I think Sam Nova are in this category.

There are a bunch of others who don't even bother with secret identities.

All of the Xmen are in this category, most of the newer inhumans, The Vision's family, Amadeus Cho Hulk, Kate Bishop, a few others.

The only amateurs who come to mind that have successful "secret" identities are the R.R. Ghost Rider, Captain America 2099 (and this one is WEIRD), Jane-Thor (and this one takes a lot of craziness to keep the identity that way), and Silk.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?

There's a handful that have their identities "secret" from villains or the general public, but S.H.I.E.L.D., The Avengers, and/or law enforcement found out who they were pretty much immediately.

Ms. Marvel, Miles Morales, Squirrel Girl, Gwenpool, and I think Sam Nova are in this category.

All of the Xmen are in this category, most of the newer inhumans, The Vision's family, Amadeus Cho Hulk, Kate Bishop, a few others.

The only amateurs who come to mind that have successful "secret" identities are the R.R. Ghost Rider, Captain America 2099 (and this one is WEIRD), Jane-Thor (and this one takes a lot of craziness to keep the identity that way), and Silk.

Was amazing when she was almost found out, and that happened

Spider-mans identity was secret to almost everybody for a very long time unless they retconned that.

Voras

Wait, they recommend she ask Peter Parker about an event he no longer remembers and no longer happened because he made a literal deal with the devil?

Spider-mans identity was secret to almost everybody for a very long time unless they retconned that.

Spider Man isn't an amateur. Established.

But he revealed his identity on his own during civil war, then Brand New Day retconned that so no one is able to remember that he did.

So only a handful of people are aware that Peter Parker is Spider Man. Law Enforcement and the Avengers aren't on that list. Miles Morales though? I think he went about 2 issues post secret wars before his cover was blown.

Edit: Miguel O'Hara is in a weird boat here as well- He just tells everyone that he's the Peter Parker spider man out of laziness, so no one is aware that they're two distinct individuals.

Slayven

Dick Rider is interesting because he turned his superpowers into a job, remember Human Rocket deliveries?

NEO0MJ

Wait, she keeps her identity a secret? With an exposed face?

Hulk is pretty much immortal but Banner isn't immune to the comic-book law that requires at least one death per event. You can blame either Bendis or Alonso.
He'll probably reappear within the year anyway.

Isn't he already reanimated in a recent story or was that a fake?

Hulk is pretty much immortal but Banner isn't immune to the comic-book law that requires at least one death per event. You can blame either Bendis or Alonso.
He'll probably reappear within the year anyway.

Eh...nah, Hulk isn't immortal by any means. Hard to kill? Yes. Immortal? No.

The Maestro was "killed" by the same gamma bomb that created the Hulk in the first place. (time travel nonsense was involved here).

The civil war II death happened because Banner developed a material that could kill him before he transformed into the hulk and keep the change from happening. Not that off the wall, when you think about it.

That being said- The Hulk was brought back from the dead in Uncanny Avengers by the Hand a couple of issues ago- Dr. Voodoo managed to undo that and ensure Banner was perma-dead. He'll stay that way for a decent amount of time, I think.

Wait, she keeps her identity a secret? With an exposed face?

It's important to realize squirrel girl is a humor comic, so don't overthink that one. She hides her tail, not the face when she's in "civilian" mode. No one makes the connection to squirrel girl without the giant tail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom