• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West & Jay-Z present: Watch The Throne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oozer3993

Interestingly, the About section of the little flash thing-a-ma-jig mentions Lift Off, but says it only features Beyonce. Maybe Bruno Mars got the boot?

W2zPD.jpg

Also, Swizz Beatz? How does Mr. Alicia Keys keep getting work?

Oozer3993

Uh oh. Everybody's ship dates are changing to 12-31-11. Obviously a placeholder, but it means we don't have a release date.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Equus Bellator Apex said:
I thought they shot the HAM video in South Africa months ago.
Yeah, but this is probably for Lift Off I'm guessing. Which begs me to question what happened to the HAM video and if they're still gonna put it out. I imagine it went under the radar for a lot of the public.

YoungHav

Banned
Oozer3993 said:
Also, Swizz Beatz? How does Mr. Alicia Keys keep getting work?
Swizz is one of the most overrated producers in rap ever. He fuckin' sucks. He must share 4 ounces of weed with everyone he works with to garner such professional good will. Same goes for Timbaland.

Oozer3993

Latest rumors:

* While on the set of the Marvin Gay and Chardonnay video, Kanye started playing some tracks off Watch the Throne. One of the people on the set said Frank Ocean was on a track and DdotOmen is claiming he's on two.

* Another Def Jam employee who was working on the video says the release date will be revealed by the end of the week.

* Bruno Mars might have been taken off of Lift Off and replaced with Kid CuDi.

* A version of Lift Off has gotten into some people's hands, but has not leaked to the general public.

cj_iwakura

YoungHav said:
Swizz is one of the most overrated producers in rap ever. He fuckin' sucks. He must share 4 ounces of weed with everyone he works with to garner such professional good will. Same goes for Timbaland.

Timbaland's a pioneer.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Oozer3993 said:
Latest rumors:

Take that Bruno...ya little bitch

ZhX7o.gif

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Oozer3993 said:
Latest rumors:

* While on the set of the Marvin Gay and Chardonnay video, Kanye started playing some tracks off Watch the Throne. One of the people on the set said Frank Ocean was on a track and DdotOmen is claiming he's on two.

* Another Def Jam employee who was working on the video says the release date will be revealed by the end of the week.

* A version of Lift Off has gotten into some people's hands, but has not leaked to the general public.

Based spin, we're ready for you to come back to us with open arms.

All this news is.. so good. SO GOOD. Did I ever tell you I love you Oozer?

I can't hate on Swizz or Timbaland as a whole, but both of them are eons past their prime. Swizz has secretly become some sort of hip hop icon the past few years under all our noses. God knows how.

CRS

I highly approve of these latest rumors. Still hate the cover though.

The only props I'll give Swizz is getting with Alicia Keys. Amazing choice.

Oozer3993

DominoKid said:
The Fader and MTV RapFix are live tweeting a Watch The Throne listening party

The journalist for The Fader got tossed out for tweeting during the event lol.

Summary of things from the event from two KanyeToThe members who were there:

- Living So Italian Sample is "Con Te Partiro" - Andrea Bocelli

- "That's My Bitch" Most Likely Not On The Album (Very slim chance it will be a bonus)

- Tentatively Aug. 2 for the Release (Jay said the album was coming "soon")

- People that were at the listening party say WTT is better then MBDTF and will take over the radio

- Only Beyonce On Lift Off (no Bruno and maybe Cudi)

- Ye and Jay were equal when it came to rapping

- No Church (feat. Frank Ocean) is Jays favorite track, No Church has a sample of a monkey in the background as well...

- They're still deciding on bonus tracks

- Album had a very futuristic sound... Very European influenced...

- Many hard hitting dance beats and one or two dubstep influenced bits

- 11 Songs Expected To Be On The Album

- The Album is "Coming Soon" According To Jay-Z

- No Tweeting Allowed. One Journalist Was Removed (we'll assume he is talking about @TheFader)

- Jay-Z has two songs completed for his next solo album. Frank Ocean appears on one. Four concepts banked.

From Billboard:

Just left watch the throne listening session at the mercer hotel in downtown ny

Jay z played 11 songs expected to be on the album, and several more that may or may not appear to select journalists and two contest winners

Studio set up in one of the suites, jay played records from his mac laptop

Roughly 20 people in the room, mostly journalists, including stephen hill of BET and the producer mike dean

Singer and odd future affiliate, frank ocean, appeared on two songs. Beyonce appeared on one, tentatively titled "lift off"

Kanye west wasn't there. No release date was given, but Jay-Z said the album was "coming soon"

Journalists were allowed to take notes and even given notepads, but no tweeting was allowed. One journo removed for live tweeting

Jay-z said the album came together in three stages, with records made and then scrapped for being too big and calculating

Version heard tonight was third iteration of the project. Jay-Z said the last four records they recorded made the album feel complete

After playing the songs w/o comment or introduction, Jay-z hosted an informal conversation w/ the room

Jay-z said his favorite song from the project changes everyday, but right now "no church" - first song he played - is favorite

Producer mike dean said q-tip was mixing "that your b*tch" today. Record wasn't played tonight.

Jay-z said although he would prefer to release the album w/o a single, they would probably shoot a vid for song w/ beyonce, "lift off"

Jay-z talked about the collaborative process. Said it's always difficult, but respects Kanye's passion.

Jay-z said Kanye told him not to release BP3's "run this town" - kanye initially convinced it wasn't a hit based on reaction at bbq.

Jay-Z said began recording in england last year, then australia, NY, LA, Paris and NY again. Often in hotel rooms.

Kanye and Jay-z recorded whole album together, in same rooms. Didn't want to mail verses back and forth.

The room tonight featured studio set up, including mics. At least one song played tonight recorded at Tribeca Grand Hotel.

One of the songs he played that didn't make the album, but might be on the deluxe is the Illest Motherfucker Alive.

From a KTT member who was there:

----------------- First Track (No Church) ---------------------

- Heavy beat with lots of bass
- Frank Ocean on the hook
- "What's a mob to a god... what's a god to a king... what's a king to a nonbeliever... who don't believe anything"
- Jay has the first verse, Kanye has a second verse
- Frank Ocean has an interlude inbetween Jay's and Kanye's verse..
- GREAT OPENING TRACK

-------------- Second Track (Lift Off) -----------------

- Has a nice introduction with horns in the background
- Beyonce on the chorus (obviously)
- "Were gone take it to the moon, we gone take it to the stars..." - Beyonce
- Ye's doing his semi singing rap thing (think Runaway)
- "Showing my tattoo's suck a show off" - Ye
- Ye has first verse, Jay has second
- Kanye is on Autotune at one point...
- Samples a countdown of a NASA space launch at the ending on the song...
- It's a real banger, has good radio potential...

----------------- Third Track ---------------

- Really heavy hitting type beat
- Sounded like it was produced by Swizz Beats or Lex (someone like that)
- Jay has the first verse
- Ye mentions Mate Kate Olson in his verse
- Sample from Blades of Glory movie (supposedly Kanye's a fan) "No one knows what it means, but it's provocative..."
- "You are now watching the Throne, don't let me enter the throne..."

------------------- Fourth Tack (Otis Redding?) --------------------

- Opens up with another Blade of Glory sample "We're gonna dance to one song, and one song only"
- Ottis Redding sample
- Classic soul style Kanye beat...
- Jay and Ye take turns (think Common's Southside)
- "Made Jesus walks I'm never going to hell" - Ye
- "Jay is chillin, Ye is chill, what more can I say" - Jay

Note... this song seemed to be a favorite of everyones... it was really dope!

------------------------- Fifth Track ------------------------------

- Electronic Jazz sounding beat
- Female autotuned vocals at the beginning, Ye is ad libbing over them...
- "Fifthteen down the line"
- Song is all about Jay and Ye rapping about their children they'll have in the future...
- There's a sax interlude

------------------------ Sixth Track (Living So Italian) --------------------------

- This was the "Por ti Volare"... rapped over a loop of the vocals and everything
- Heavy hitting drum beats over the sample after about a few seconds into the track

THIS IS WHERE THE FADER ASSHOLE GOT KICKED OUT AND JAY STARTED THE TRACK ALL OVER AGAIN

- Chorus: "Living So Italian, whole family's here cause it's feeling like a movie"
- "Wrote this song on the crapper" - Ye... thanks for that line Ye...
- EPIC BANGER!!!!!

--------------------- Seventh Track -------------------

- Indian Influenced sample
- EPIC FIRST LINE " LOLOLOLOL White America, Assassinate my character" - Ye
- "Whats up whats up where my money at? Do I need to come where your Daddy at?" - Jay

--------------------- Eighth Track (Can't Stop?) ----------------------

- Had a dance/rave style vibe to the beat
- Sample with the words "I can't Stop"... on constant repeat at the beginning...
- Has a real dubstep influenced sound
- "Who's gona stop me huh? You gone stop me now" - Ye
- Has a line where he talks about his dick in pig latin (haha)
- "Black cards, black cards, black on black on black bras" - Jay

Samples Flux Pavilion - I Can't Stop

------------------ Ninth Track (Murder to Excellence?)--------------------

- Another middle eastern/Indian style beat
- Ye is singing the chorus "... Black on black murder..."
- "In the murder capital where they murder for capital" - Jay
- At one point Ye compares the death of soldiers in Iraq to those who have died in Chicago
- There's a shift in the sound in the second half... interlude
- "Celebration of black excellence" - Ye
- "Success never smelled so sweet" - Jay

--------------------- Tenth Track (Sweet Baby Jesus) ---------------------

- A slower style song (compared to the others on the album)
- Frank Ocean is on the hook again
- Bible and Jesus references in the chorus "Sweet Baby Jesus living in America" - Frank
- "Niggas hustle everyday for a beat by Ye... what I do? Give em all away to Jay" - Ye WIN WIN WIN

--------------- Eleventh Track (I Love You So)-------------------

- Samples Cassius - I Love U So
- "Oh I love you so, but why I love you you'll never know" - sampled chorus
- Jays Verse first
- "I tried to teach niggas how to be kings, when all they wanted was to be soldiers" - Jay
- Ye's verse second
- INCREDIBLY DOPE USE OF THE SAMPLE!!!!!

THIS IS HOW THE CURRENT VERSION OF THE ALBUM ENDS

From the other KTT member who was there:

1) NO CHURCH IN A WHILE-sick beat with heavy drums... frank ocean sings a hypnotizing melodic hook ... jay-z has a great verse... idk if u guys want me to ruin the subject matter its pretty sick though ... theres a sick bridge with sorta distortiony like effects... sounds like what kanye did with bon iver on monster sort of... there were animal noises in the outro too... probably my favorite song on the album it was fucking amazing
2) LIFT OFF- really good synths beyonce has a killer hook and kanye and jay both had pretty good verses on it i dont really remember them though... should be a mainstream success... all the bitches in the room when nuts when it was playing hahah
3) THAT SHIT CRAZY... HIT BOY PRODUCED its a ridiculous beat sorta like a better version of drop the world and more swagged out... samples blades of glory in one part quoting will ferrel at the beginning and goes "there is one song we will skate too... and one song only..." then the song starts... pretty dope verses from what i could tell should be a favorite its an absolute banger
4) OTIS REDDING... probably my other favorite song from the album... shit was amazing... soul sample for hook and chopped up the sample for the beat and it just builds up really well and is amazing... kanye has an ill verse and it is top 3 on the album
5) not sure of the name... mentions RZA in it so i think it was produced by him... there is a piano/sample driven beat... the sample is weird at first but it meshes really well ... its sorta a weird vocal effect (the sample) and i dont really know what it was but the beat turned out very well... one of the deeper songs on the album and kanye reflects on his wrongs in life and how he wants his kids to grow up ego free and loved by everyone and jay reflects on teh drug game
6) LIVING SO ITALIAN... fucking amazinggggg... samples POR TI VOLARE!!!! no dj pauly d ... its just a really laid back fun song and its super good i really really liked it they just rap over por ti volare basically
7) WHO GON STOP ME ... (?)...This is where i got confused two songs were played in a row and i didnt know if it was two songs or just a beat change but i think it might jsut be one super long song... the first part is a cool soul sampke and ye and jay bounce off eachother... then the second part (possibly new song?) is a ridiculous club banger sounds like lex luger but refined and sophisticated and it just gets you so hyped and kanye has distortion when he says "who gon stop me" again and again ... really great jay verse on this song
8) MURDER TO EXCELLENCE ... sorta an african soul sample i would describe it as and it talks about black on black violence and talks about the murders in chi town and the violence in iraq... the beat switches up part way through i remember ... dont remember what the second part sounds like tho
9) SWEET BABY JESUS ... drum baseed beat with sorta airy zoned out synths layered over it ... frank ocean sings the hook talking about jesus and what not ... kanye has amazing verses on this song and has some good lines
10)WHY I LOVE YOU SO... least favorite song for me... mike dean said it needs work hahahha ... the beat is sick but the hook is kinda annoying ... jay and ye have good verses though its very mediocre to me...

BONUS TRACKS/POSSIBLE ALBUM CUTS

11) PRIMETIME ... sick piano beat kinda like a homecoming type thing... jay has an INSANE verse ... thats all i remmeber tho

12) he just played a bit of this one and it was a synth driven beat but thats all i got on it ...

(these titles are not all the actual titles i just took what i could figure out )

there may have been a song or two that i missed because i stopped writing shit down after the first time through cuz i just wanted to take it all in... one song had swizz on it thought i remember he was shouting shit out for a bit but it wasnt that bad

jay said they remade the album 3 times because "it was too crazy and we had to bring it down to a human level"

TMB is being mastered by q-tip as we speak

DominoKid

i hope it leaks next week. i need this with my life.

the icon kanye west making an album with jay-z as an equal. if this shit isnt a classic then imma feel cheated

iavi

"it was too crazy and we had to bring it down to a human level"

Those sound like a hype ass albums to me. Give me those.

Oozer3993

Added summaries for the rest of the songs currently slated for the album in my previous post. I am hella interested in hearing Living So Italian after hearing what it samples. Ditto for Can't Stop.

I finally figured out why that album cover bugs me...

It reminds me of a normal map. It looks like they forgot to apply a goddamn regular texture map to it.

Oozer3993

Lift Off is heavily rumored to be dropping next week. I have my fingers crossed.

Some write-ups from establishments that had people at the listening party last night:

Rolling Stone

The album was over, but the party wasn't. Most of the writers hung around for another hour and a half while Jay-Z held court, pouring more bubbly and chatting informally about the recording process. One reason for the lengthy wait for Watch the Throne, he explained, is that he and Kanye insisted on collaborating in person. "If we were gonna do it, we were gonna do it together," he said. "No mailing it in." They got started in Bath, England last November and kept going in Australia, Paris, New York and Los Angeles whenever their schedules allowed. As for when the rest of the world will get to hear the finished product, "I'll just say soon," he added. "Not far away. Soon."

AllHipHop

Jay gets asked if this version of the album was the regular or the deluxe version. The Brooklyn don doesn't speak on it. He simply cues up two more songs that knock. Jay then says, "Does that answer your question?" Room explodes into spontaneous laughter. Jay also let the room hear a song with Swizz Beatz that he admitted might not make the album. He also indicated that "H.A.M.," the first song he and Kanye released may not make the album either.

GQ

During the conversation, Jay addressed his and many fans' disappointment with the first single, "H.A.M.," which was not played and may not make the final cut. He mentioned that this iteration of the album was the third, after two scrapped rounds of songwriting and recording, blaming ambition and expectation for the false starts. He also said that the sessions were often bizarre and star-packed, at one point recalling one night that featured the celebrated Givenchy designer Riccardo Tischi (who also crafted Watch The Throne's gold-embossed cover), British women's wear star (and Kanye obsession) Phoebe Philo, and Russell Crowe. Sounds like a fun room.

Entertainment Weekly

Simply put: Throne proves to be a masterpiece. No exaggeration. Though it was mostly crafted here in New York, songs were also written in Paris, Australia, and Bath, England. The influences of the international locales are evident, but its the true grit of New York’s hip-hop spirit that truly shines through.And though the title suggests pomposity and majesty, Throne is lyrically well-balanced and accessible. There are opulent raps dripping with swag for sure, but also plenty that smack of militancy, worry, and grief.

MTV

Throughout the album, Yeezy holds his own when rapping alongside Jay-Z, a lyricist of the highest caliber. Other standout tracks that feature the duo trading rap bars include a song whose beat features a chopped up Otis Redding vocal sample that many requested be played again. Another song called "Living So Italian" also got a favorable response from the room.

BET

In a room full of journalists, two pre-order contest winners, RocNation employees, and champagne, Jay-Z is extremely comfortable. Being used to the routine, he knows how to turn around an awkward situation, like when a journalist is removed from the room for tweeting too many details (“let’s not act like we all didn’t see that just happen,” he jokes). And he certainly isn’t fazed by questions about the perceived difficulties of working with Kanye (Jay says Kanye’s motive always comes from a good place)

P.S. For those who haven't heard, Kanye's SXSW concert with appearances from other G.O.O.D. artists and Jay-Z is premiering on VEVO July 12th.

nns3d

...and suddenly I'm hyped! Good to know Jay's been listening to the feedback since H.A.M. was released.

Ashhong

Thanks oozer, you just made my hype levels reach critical mass. I cant handle any more. It's going to be just like last year when MBDTF dropped. That was not healthy.

Oozer3993

kamspy

So someone at the recording session managed to record most of it?

I'll say that I'm a lot more hyped than I was yesterday. No Church.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Oozer3993 said:
P.S. For those who haven't heard, Kanye's SXSW concert with appearances from other G.O.O.D. artists and Jay-Z is premiering on VEVO July 12th.

This will make the wait for WTT worth it.

Now I don't regret (as much) my $24 dollar pre-order a few days ago... They should give us pre-order folks an early sample ;) haha.

Tokubetsu

Frank Ocean involvement and early impressions have me excited again. Still don't want to pre-order at that price though fuck.

Oozer3993

Apparently KIIS FM has confirmed they'll have Lift Off on Monday. And an intern for Interscope says the song is listed for next week on a release chart.

Hawkmosis

Banned
I have been hyped for this album ever since i heard H.A.M. Even though its a cheesy track what with Jay-Z sounding like a trailer park boys saying "green eggs and HAAAAAAAAMMM"
i still love the ridiculousness of it.
I hope the album is just as grandiose, absurd and just plain banging as what we have already heard.

Hype Train +1

qcf x2

DominoKid said:
i hope it leaks next week. i need this with my life.

the icon kanye west making an album with jay-z as an equal. if this shit isnt a classic then imma feel cheated

I mean, considering the way you worded that I doubt you'll feel cheated regardless of actual quality, lol. GAF never fails with the Kanye hype. My expectations are comfortably neutral, as each of their last albums was disappointing.

Read RZA produced the Nina Simone joint and he flipped the fuck out of it.

...trying to figure out an appropriate way to kill myself once this drops.

kodecraft

Tokubetsu said:
Frank Ocean involvement and early impressions have me excited again. Still don't want to pre-order at that price though fuck.

This. Now I am hyped, bring me that special feeling that MBDTF brought me.

Smeghead

Get hype.

Knowing that Frank Ocean is on it and that some saying it's better than MBDTF is good to hear.

Might buy the Deluxe depending on how expensive it is in the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom