• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West & Jay-Z present: Watch The Throne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashhong

Andrea Bocelli - Por Ti Volare sample is going to be fucking sick. It better have some epic strings.

edit: back to the Kanye party huh spin?

Ashhong said:
back to the Kanye party huh spin?

Deep down, I never left. Brofist.jpg

Also...
ryEjd.png

enzo, WTF!

m3k

swizzy, west and rza in the loop....... please be good!

i hope rza gets some shine its been a while

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
spindashing said:
Deep down, I never left. Brofist.jpg

Also...
http://i.imgur.com/ryEjd.png[IMG]
enzo, WTF![/QUOTE]
You should see the SMvC3 thread.

I CANT CONTROL IT

Anyways, previews got me so hyped. Cross posted from the other thread:

[QUOTE]We could go on. There's a [B]devastating song rapped to Kanye and Jay's unborn sons and another called "Black on Black" about intra-racial violence[/B]. [B]There's a thwacking dubstep sample and another appearance by the tapped-for-greatness Frank Ocean[/B]. When the cycle concluded, Jay opened the floor to a conversation, as he has during recent events of this kind, asking only that reporters put down their notepads and close their iPhones (Some of us didn't). What ensued was a kind of half-professional, half-freewheeling chat. The journalists that knew Jay better were freer in their discourse, while the novices asked earnest, interview-y questions. Jay-Z, who has a lot of experience being the calmest, cleverest person in the room, had fun jabbing at everyone—at one point I interrupted one of his responses before he'd finished and he playfully chided me, letting off his trademark cackle-chuckle. These are the times when you don't mind being mocked.

During the conversation, [B]Jay addressed his and many fans' disappointment with the first single, "H.A.M.," which was not played and may not make the final cut. He mentioned that this iteration of the album was the third, after two scrapped rounds of songwriting and recording, blaming ambition and expectation for the false starts[/B]. He also said that the [B]sessions were often bizarre and star-packed[/B], at one point recalling one night that featured the celebrated Givenchy designer Riccardo Tischi (who also crafted Watch The Throne's gold-embossed cover), British women's wear star (and Kanye obsession) Phoebe Philo, and Russell Crowe. Sounds like a fun room.

The recording of this album also inspired a new Jay-Z solo album, for which he has already completed two songs and is honing four more concepts—one of the contest winners actually nabbed the night's biggest scoop, which is that Ocean will also appear on the first single from that forthcoming album. [B]Jay also said that Kanye begged him not to release "Run This Town," the first single from 2009's smash The Blueprint 3[/B], because it didn't go over well at a Heavy Hitters barbeque. He lost that battle, obviously. Near the conversation's end, Jay gently criticized President Obama when asked about his performance: "Numbers don't lie. Unemployment is pretty high. It's fucked up, but he's trying not to be the angry black man." [/QUOTE]
These paragraphs have me so hyped for this shit again. Been reading a ton of the previews and they're just selling it to me.

Kaizer

Banned
enzo_gt said:
You should see the SMvC3 thread.

I CANT CONTROL IT

Anyways, previews got me so hyped. Cross posted from the other thread:

These paragraphs have me so hyped for this shit again. Been reading a ton of the previews and they're just selling it to me.
Agreed, my hype is going through the roof. Already rendered the deluxe edition. I have no doubts this album will be fresh ad hell.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I don't know why I keep playing HAM, but I do... I think the track is growing on me, took a bit, but it is.

overcast

This needs to hurry up and get here.

Reading about this secret media party has me hyped. So we should expect the next single within a week?

wenis said:
I don't know why I keep playing HAM, but I do... I think the track is growing on me, took a bit, but it is.

Yeah it grew on me for sure. I hated it at first. Then I listened to it a few weeks later and I actually liked it. I hope it does make the album. Fuck the haters.

Good that H.A.M. won't be on it, it'll tarnish an otherwise dope sounding album. I like to keep my hype levels low but........shiiiiiiiiiit

They really shouldn't be sampling Flux Pavilion. Such a shame.

If they're sampling a dubstep song for the sake of sampling one and looking cool and trendy, don't pick the absolute opposite of what a real dubstep fan thinks is dubstep. If they're doing it because they genuinely think that tune's a good one, then shame on kanye and jay... Their taste obviously isn't what it used to be.

roosters93 said:
dubstep? ffs

edit: Or is that just the Flux Pavilion sample?

Dubstep, heavy European sound, Lex Lugar, (initially) Bruno Mars, Frank Ocean, etc. The album is nothing more than a cynical buffet of "what's hot." Which is typical of Jay-Z's entire career. He jumped on Kanye's progression years ago and continues. I may slam Kanye all the time but he was focusing on more electronic/techno hip hop when most mainstream urban music was dominated by southern production/artists.

wenis

TheOddOne said:
I feel H.A.M. was beneath them, they could have chosen a much better single.

well....if we take the recent interview Jay did with all those reporters about how this is the 3rd iteration, this means that HAM was around the first or second and if both those albums got scrapped then HAM was the strongest of the "single" tracks from both those albums... So we got the best of what they got (I mean until like 25 years from now if this album is big enough to warrant a "retrospective" and we get material from the earlier cut albums in some super deluxe edition).

TheOddOne

wenis said:
well....if we take the recent interview Jay did with all those reporters about how this is the 3rd iteration, this means that HAM was around the first or second and if both those albums got scrapped then HAM was the strongest of the "single" tracks from both those albums... So we got the best of what they got (I mean until like 25 years from now if this album is big enough to warrant a "retrospective" and we get material from the earlier cut albums in some super deluxe edition).
H.A.M. being the best thing that came out of the first or second session has to be the scariest thing I have ever heard. The rest must have been worse then H.A.M.? FUUUUUUUU.

Still hanging my head over the Jay-Z and Jack White collaboration likely not making the album. Can always hope that it makes Jay-Z's next solo album or that Jack releases it through Third Man Records. Or that Jack finally makes a solo album and it makes it on there.

wenis

TheOddOne said:
H.A.M. being the best thing that came out of the first or second session has to be the scariest thing I have ever heard. The rest must have been worse then H.A.M.? FUUUUUUUU.

Eh, it's not that bad. Like I said, going back and listening to it again, it's a much better track than people give it credit for. It's total fluff and all that, but it manages to be a cool track still. Not the best of their collaborations or anything, but solid.

Recon

Banned
ToyMachine228 said:
Yeah it grew on me for sure. I hated it at first. Then I listened to it a few weeks later and I actually liked it. I hope it does make the album. Fuck the haters.

You also currently like Limp Biscuit, so, opinion invalidated.

kamspy

I prefer honey or maple ham to regular ham. Boar's Head Black Forest ham is pretty good though.

Oh and pro-tip: the Honeybaked Ham Store sells sandwiches! Yeah, I didn't know either. Lunch hour will never be the same once you have this information.

TheOddOne

kamspy said:
I prefer honey or maple ham to regular ham. Boar's Head Black Forest ham is pretty good though.

Oh and pro-tip: the Honeybaked Ham Store sells sandwiches! Yeah, I didn't know either. Lunch hour will never be the same once you have this information.
Time for that nap old man.

CRS

kamspy said:

KuGsj.gif

He speaks truth though. Honey > the rest. Also, fuck swiss. Ham & Cheddar sandwiches all the way.

ReconYoda said:
You also currently like Limp Biscuit, so, opinion invalidated.

You spelled the band's name wrong. Epic fail.

Oh and here's a thought; People have different taste in music. No one's opinion is invalid when it comes to something like music.

Afrocentric-Asian said:
I thought that was intentional, lol.

It could have been but I will also associate people spelling the band name like that with retards I went to school with in like 5th and 6th grade writing sweet stuff like "Corn" and "Limp Biscuit" on their book covers and stuff. Trying to be "cool".

Recon

Banned
ToyMachine228 said:
You spelled the band's name wrong. Epic fail.

Oh and here's a thought; People have different taste in music. No one's opinion is invalid when it comes to something like music.
Limp bizket is the definition of shit music. No genre is inherently shitty, but limp basket is shitty within their genre

overcast

They took a page out of Radioheads book I think. What with the random online promotion.

I think I'll wait until the album releases, skip on the live stream. Reading the impressions will be fun.

wenis

enzo_gt said:
Full album stream on their website, bandcamp or myspace-style?

Gonna be interesting. Usually only independent artists do this. I'm interested in their marketing approach to this.

At least it looks like record companies are learning (a bit too late imo) that this shit works so well for so many indie artists out there that they should be doing it too!

Just need a fuckin' taste. just a taste to get my fix and then I'll be alright.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
overcast said:
They took a page out of Radioheads book I think. What with the random online promotion.

I think I'll wait until the album releases, skip on the live stream. Reading the impressions will be fun.
Makes sense considering Kanye has been name dropping Radiohead left and right. Shit, he's even got Jay doing it like he's discovered the Pandora's Box or some shit.

cacophony

Supposedly this is the official tracklist

> 1.) No Church in The Wild (Feat. Frank Ocean)
> 2.) Lift Off (Feat. Beyoncé)
> 3.) Niggas in Paris
> 4.) Otis (Feat. Otis Redding)
> 5.) Gotta Have It
> 6.) New Day
> 7.) Prime Time
> 8.) Who Gon Stop Me
> 9.) Murder to Excellence
> 10.) Welcome to The Jungle
> 11.) Sweet Baby Jesus (Feat. Frank Ocean)
> 12.) Love You So (Feat. Mr Hudson)
> Bonus
> 13.) Illest Motherfucker Alive
> 14.) H*A*M
> 15.) That's My Bitch
> 16.) The Joy (Feat. Curtis Mayfield)

Oozer3993

cacophony said:

> 3.) Niggas in Paris
> 5.) Gotta Have It
> 6.) New Day
> 7.) Prime Time
> 8.) Who Gon Stop Me
> Bonus
> 14.) H*A*M
> 15.) That's My Bitch

Looks good to me. Prime Time looks to be a late addition to the album proper as Jay-Z implied it was going to be a bonus track during the listening party.

ShdwDrake

Banned
cacophony said:

> 3.) Niggas in Paris
> 5.) Gotta Have It
> 6.) New Day
> 7.) Prime Time
> 8.) Who Gon Stop Me
> Bonus
> 14.) H*A*M
> 15.) That's My Bitch

YES!!!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
cacophony said:

> 3.) Niggas in Paris
> 5.) Gotta Have It
> 6.) New Day
> 7.) Prime Time
> 8.) Who Gon Stop Me
> Bonus
> 14.) H*A*M
> 15.) That's My Bitch
THATS MY BITCH MADE IT

YES
YES
YEESSSSSSSSSSSS

Bonus edition or go home. PS. guys the VEVO x SXSW thing is up and they edited most of the songs out =/

The full G.O.O.D. x SXSW show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom