• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kepler - There's two SoCs in development for next-gen PlayStation, not sure if it's a Series X/S situation or home console + handheld

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
K KeplerL2 Posted this in the PS6 price thread but I felt it was new thread worthy

There's two SoCs in development for next-gen, idk if it's a Series X/S situation or home console + handheld, but probably one of them will be affordable at least.

Yes the two SoCs I mentioned in that thread are for PS6.

Its Happening Mtv GIF by Jersey Shore Family Vacation

Last edited:

Fess

After seeing Sony target $699/799 euros, i think MS is going for $999 minimum.

The handheld will be 'affordable' at $599 and compete with Nintendo switch.

No idea what OS will they be using but i highly doubt they will partner up with Steam.
SteamOS won’t happen on a Xbox but Steam as an app could happen. And MS haven’t adressed the Steam rumours so I think they’re forced to partner up in one way or another with Valve now. A Xbox without Steam access would just be a Xbox Series 1.5 scenario since they’re going in before Sony next gen going by rumours. It would fail. They need something to set them apart from a more powerful PS6 coming in with more hype and more fans, and Steam could be that something.

But what does Gabe want? Steam getting a bigger spot in the living room is likely a longterm strategy for Valve, but they might try doing it on their own. They could launch a more powerful SteamOS device without a screen. Could have Steam Deck as a companion device with some cool secondary screen feature for those who’re invested already.

XXL

After seeing Sony target $699/799 euros, i think MS is going for $999 minimum.

The handheld will be 'affordable' at $599 and compete with Nintendo switch.

No idea what OS will they be using but i highly doubt they will partner up with Steam.
I don't think he's talking about Xbox. It's looks like he's talking about Playstation.

Darsxx82

K KeplerL2 Posted this in the PS6 price thread but I felt it was new thread worthy

Its Happening Mtv GIF by Jersey Shore Family Vacation
What if it's an XSX ($599) and an XSX plus ($999)??

I don't know, I think an XBOX Handheld isn't going to need the logistics and design cost of a console or desktop hardware. Among other things because I don't think it was a product for the masses and the technology will be the same with the rest of the handheld on the market.

Xyphie

If Sony does two console specs next gen that's a good thing if you care about a premium spec. If they only do one SoC you're just going to get the low-end console. They care more about mass market reach than catering to the premium segment.

Last edited:

Brucey

One of the most reliable chip leakers out there and when Twitter was killed in Brazil he came here
If they wanted to time it to their advantage they'd want to announce before PS5 Pro release, could stave off a few platform switchers? Announce early like x box one x/Scorpio, for release in holiday 2025. There's prob 3-5 million hardcore that would buy. series Gen would be Osborned 4 years into the generation at ~30 million, horrible performance.

XXL

It should specify what it refers to. But that I mention XSS and XSX for comparison and that a PS6 is doubtfully in the process of testing.....

HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 ??
Yeah. I'm confused. It not in response to anything in the thread though and it was posted in the PS6 thread. It's the X/S part that is making it confusing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom