• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid these days will never...

Kids these days will never know the joy of couch co-op and local multiplayer. imo that was the best gaming experience one could have.
They experience this differently now. You’ll witness them all on phones and tablets near each other because they’re playing 4 to 8-player private lobbies on Roblox or Brawl Stars or something.

It’s like how our generation would play Nintendo DS games together.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Nah the biggest loss is that video games use to be more like books in a sense of you had these abstract tiles and sprites that represents things but you had use your imagination to fill in the gaps.

They experience this differently now. You’ll witness them all on phones and tablets near each other because they’re playing 4 to 8-player private lobbies on Roblox or Brawl Stars or something.

It’s like how our generation would play Nintendo DS games together.
I see. My generation played SNES, PS, N64 & Dreamcast games together. Tekken 2, Madden, NBA Jam, Power Stone, Street Fighter 2, Mortal Kombat, Mario Kart 64, NFL Blitz, Twisted Metal, NFL2K, Wave Race & Jet Moto. Those were the good ole days...

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Kids these days will never pick up an online subscription in a physical game case and scratch to reveal the code.

demo discs that came inside certain magazines :messenger_crying:

iu

kungfuian

Kids will never understand experiencing arcade game with significantly better graphics than home consoles. Combined with the social aspect it made going to the arcade a magical experience, where you could experience the very best.

Could you imagine if there's a place you could go now to go play crazy AI driven path traced games on unreleased 6090 cards 3 years early. I'd be driving across town to drop quarters in those machines just like the old days.

Instead kids get Minecraft and Roblox and free to play gotcha phone bullshit, lol

Last edited:

Natsuko

Sitting in front of the TV with family and friends and battling it out in Mario Kart 64. What epic afternoons those were. Four player split screen and destroying balloons. Unforgettable.

But hey, modern times also have their good side. My brother and I live far apart. I went to visit him in Animal Crossing today.

Video Games Dancing GIF

Feeling a base level excitement for big game announcement/releases and not the creeping dread of how will they fuck this up. Not having to listen to fall back with excuses like, "I wasn't expecting a masterpiece but something entertaining" or "Hey it's mostly functional and good for an hour or two" or "if you turn your mind off..."

Yeah we used to get legit "Oh fuck wow" moments.

Last edited:

nial

I read this EGM magazine too many times to count when the PS2 was coming out. I miss those days.

CYbjwrz.jpeg
Never read these, but PS2 coming soon (from a Western perspective) and GBA and GCN revealed? Is this from August/September 2000?

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Know what its like being the only person in their radius that's obsessed with some obscure game.

Keep their systems on for days because they don't have a memory card.

Play 4 player local multiplayer.

Know what its like being stuck with just 1 game you replay over and over because you can't access/afford any more.

I thought about this with the FF7 Remakes. The imagination it took to get a boner as a kid to the pixel teases like Terra and Celes in FF6. It's just a full frontal these days. Its like, "Damn, they went that far with it." Kids don't know how good they got it now.

Last edited:
Game magazines. You could tell the articles, reviews and guides were made by people who actually played and enjoyed videogames, it was a nice read.

Demo discs, both on consoles and PC. Nothing like spending an afternoon popping one of those in and trying them all out.
Tintoconcasera, a lot of these gamers today have no clue about those demo discs. We use to lend them shits out every single day. I kept mines inside of binder. The Tony Hawk demo disc, dudes were fighting over that disc.

Last edited:

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Kid these days will never get the excitement over hearing rumors about consoles and games only launched over seas that are still months away of arriving in your country. The wild stuff we used to hear...

1 in 3 US households had a NES. Pretty much any house with kids in grade school had one.

If you got dragged along to your parents’ friend’s/coworker’s place and they had kids, bring a controller and a couple games. You will receive a hero’s welcome and make some new friends.
I literally just found my NES in this mess I made inside my storage.

BMca9am.jpeg

Holammer

Having 3 of your friends in the couch, 4 wired controllers connected and playing together in the same room.

Also, having 3 lives to finish a game or start all the way from level 1...

Also... anything called level 1 :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Ah yes, me and three other guys playing International Track & Field on the PS1 with such technique we actually melted buttons and the game flashed the "using trick" warning the entire time. It was a small room so we had to open the window.
A good memory.

-The epic Sega/Nintendo wars when both companies were trying to outdo each other gaming mascots and making systems with raw power. I remember watching the "Genesis Does What Nintendon't" TV commercials and I def felt the tension between the 2 companies

-Walking into a Blockbuster or Family Video and picking out games to rent. I remember the very first game I rented was Zelda LTTP and it was on a Saturday evening. The next day I had to go to church with family and all I could think about during mass was excitedly rushing home to play the game

-Calling the Nintendo hotline if you were stuck on a game. I personally never called them for help bc I think you had to pay them per minute and being a kid, I didn't have any money but I was totally aware of it from flipping through those game instruction booklets

-Going into Montgomery Ward or Sears and playing at the SNES/Genesis kiosks

-Walking into Fry's and being amazed at the huge selection of PC game boxes on display with premium embossed covers and thick instruction manuals

-Having to impatiently wait every 2 months for Dreamcast magazine to arrive in your mailbox so you can play the demo disc

-Hooking up your Dreamcast to a phone line modem and downloading Shenmue animations to watch in your little VMU

Ozzie666

Young europeans will never experience the old c64/Amiga/ST copy parties, most famously in Velno held by the elite groups or crews of the time. Drinking, partying, friendships, wars and of course games and new coding routines.
The age of innocence.

nick776

Experience jaw dropping next gen leaps.
I think this is the biggest for me, going from NES to SNES was HUGE back in the day. Then the first time I saw Mario 64 running at Toys R Us was equally as amazing. The last time I remember being amazed was when I first hooked up my Xbox 360 on launch day and played Need for Speed and Kameo in HD for the first time. That was the last time I felt that next-gen "magic." I have to say that Mario Odyssey came close to giving me that experience, primarily because I was amazed that the game could be played both as a portable and in HD on my TV (and it was a NEW amazing 3D Mario Game). It wasn't nearly as amazing as the prior leaps was, but it was the closest I've had since Xbox 360 came out.

Last edited:
1) Huge graphical leaps between generations. Going from 8 bit to 16 bit, 2D to 3D or SD to HD. These were huge insane leaps in tech now a new gen is basically the same as the last.

2) E3 hype. Ninty, Sega, Sony, EA MS would all bring out the big guns. Huge new games either announced or demo. Imagine not having the drip feed of info we have now but ONE info drop for 90% of the news from the year in games all in 3 days under one roof.

These right here. It felt like companies really pushed to make the impossible possible with each new generation and yet devs needed creative solutions to fulfill their grand ideas. I always looked forward to practical demonstrations of new tech and the interesting ideas made possible. Now it feels like all we see is incremental improvements in visuals halfway through a generation, usually only when the biggest engines devs hand over their work to third parties to use.

The biggest thing I miss is companies actually competing for business, now the big platforms are largely stagnating while lording over their own fiefdoms. Why compete when you can collude?

Ill go even further, kids will never be as excited for snippets of gaming news/screenshots/rumors as much as were before the internet. Now its almost a joke we know which game will be revealed when, whats going to be in the trailer before it even appears, story spoiled, ending spoiled etc.

I miss the rumor days of C&C Tiberian Sun, talks of an alien race, Mortal Kombat sexuality lol or a fatality so gruesome you get a black screen instead, Luigi being playable in Mario 64 etc.

Cakeboxer

Gold Member
https://www.pdxlan.net/site/

find if they have something like this close to you
Looks like it's more for older people and we are talking about kid's experiences.

- we had ours in sports halls of schools, so we were all like 14-18
- part of the experience was talking to locals of the same age and finding new friends
- big part of the fun was trading your stuff, not necessary anymore
- 165 Dollar is a lot of money

It's cool that something like this exists, but with prizes, sponsoring, tournaments and i beat streamers it doesn't seem to have the innocent nerd charm they used to have.

Alan Wake

I think this is the biggest for me, going from NES to SNES was HUGE back in the day. Then the first time I saw Mario 64 running at Toys R Us was equally as amazing. The last time I remember being amazed was when I first hooked up my Xbox 360 on launch day and played Need for Speed and Kameo in HD for the first time. That was the last time I felt that next-gen "magic." I have to say that Mario Odyssey came close to giving me that experience, primarily because I was amazed that the game could be played both as a portable and in HD on my TV (and it was a NEW amazing 3D Mario Game). It wasn't nearly as amazing as the prior leaps was, but it was the closest I've had since Xbox 360 came out.

I haven't been blown away by a game for several generations, but some games have impressed of course. I remember playing Alan Wake for the first time. The Last of Us was magical, BioShock Infinite incredibly impressive. But the past ten years... not much. And we're obviously not going to have these leaps in technology again, unless AI does something special in the future.

StueyDuck

Memory card space. Kids these days don’t have to think about that.
The accidental deleted or corrupted ps2 save was heartbreaking, especially because you could still view it most times when you checked the memory card through the OS.

I remember my ffX save got corrupted and I was literally at the point of fighting the dark aeons, think it was the magus sisters. Luckily I had an older brother and luckily his save was further than mine so I just copy pasted like an asshole 🤣. It still was devastating though

Last edited:

Justin9mm

Kids these days will never experience the sheer joy of a weekend trip to the best arcade in town. For me, it was a place called Enchanted Castle. This place was like Chucky Cheese on steroids. They had all the arcade games from Super Mario Bros and Tetris...All the way to games like Mortal Kombat and Timecop. They had some of the best pizza, bumper cars, mini golf, mini bowling. My Dad would take me and my brother, give us both 20 bucks and we would go to town in that joint.

Edit: Holy Shit this place is still OPEN!? https://enchanted.com/

Ok maybe I was wrong...there's still a chance. I'm gonna go visit one day next time I'm back home.
I'm not sure if you had the same but here in Australia we used to have arcade places do lock ins. You used to pay like $30 or something like that and it would start at like 10pm until like 6 or 7 am in the morning and all the machines would be put on unlimited play and it was closed to the outside public. It was on these nights I could finish games without spending a shit ton putting coins in when I could just keep pressing continue.

Last edited:

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Kids these days will never know what it was like to set up your sound card's IRQ and DMA settings at game install.

Actually, kids these days will never know what it was like NOT to have a sound card

Kids these days will never know what it was like to craft a boot disk so that there was enough memory to load up a game.

Kids these days will never know the despair of having your multiplayer game disconnected because someone picked up the home phone.

Kids these days will never know about defragging a hard drive to improve performance.

Kids these days will never know about mouse balls.

Last edited:
Top Bottom