• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid these days will never...

HyperSeg

Neo Member
Play Doom with your friend, one controls shooting and the other movement.

Playing a single player game at the same time as your friend who you are talking to on msn messenger.

Bring your entire PC (including CRT) to your friend's house to do a LAN for BF1942 only to find out it didn't work because you knew nothing of switches or crossover cables.

Playing World of Warcraft at launch when the entire game world was new to everyone.

Playing games that did not hold your hand and made the game way better because of it. (Morrowind and 90's adventure games)

Hearing the floppy drive sound when lemmings loads the next level.

Seeing "It is now safe to turn off your computer" and actually have to press the power button.

Having to actually worry about conflicts between your various parts of your PC.

Shareware discs.

I could go on forever here.

ManaByte

ToysRUs1990.jpg

Back in the day, we played fucking football ( the real one ) in sand fields capable of ripping your skin off after a tackle surrounded by heroin-used syringes.

People of my country and city will know what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Kids these days will never experience being wowed by the next gen of gaming every couple of years.

Seeing the evolution of computer graphics in real time through the decades, from the C64 to to the PS4 was a wild ride. I loved getting a new game and then getting wowed by computer visuals you had literally never seen before in that quality and splendor. That feeling of excitement is now almost completely gone. Yep, games can look really good these days, but the times of being blown out of my socks are gone now.

Kids these days will never experience a video game culture where almost all of the games from the arcades, consoles, and PC were made for consumers to have fun and engage in escapism. No agendas or messages of any kind were shoehorned into a game. It was all about having a good time.

realcool

kids these days will never go out to a store and buy a physical copy of a game they have no interest in so that they could play the demo that came with it and watch in awe as ice melts

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
They will never know going online in CoD being called the hard R for no reason by 5+ other strangers at once.

Instead they get to go on Roblox and deal with pedophiles trying to lure them in.

Fess

Kids these days will never experience being wowed by the next gen of gaming every couple of years.

Seeing the evolution of computer graphics in real time through the decades, from the C64 to to the PS4 was a wild ride. I loved getting a new game and then getting wowed by computer visuals you had literally never seen before in that quality and splendor. That feeling of excitement is now almost completely gone. Yep, games can look really good these days, but the times of being blown out of my socks are gone now.
So very true.
Going from C64 to Amiga 500 was mind blowing, the colors, the resolution, the not just wireframe 3D lol

Then SNES to PS1 was another wild jump, I remember starting that dinosaur and manta ray demo like hundreds of times getting wowed every time.

PS1/N64 to DC was possibly the biggest jump of the 3D era. Soul Calibur was miles ahead of everything else at the time. Felt like having an arcade machine plugged into the TV.

Then things slowed down. There was Gears of War, it looked amazing. Uncharted too. But after that I don’t really know, games mostly impressed in art design for many years.

Hellblade 2 blew me away this year, but that’s almost 2 decades later and it’s very linear.

Maybe game design is the new thing to be blown away by? Elden Ring. Astro Bot.
🤷‍♂️

Hugare

..experience a LAN-Party. The ultimate gaming experience and nothing else got or will ever get close to this.
This

"Lan houses" (as they were called here in Brazil) were such an important part of my childhood.

Playing CS against 10+ other kids and making friends was amazing. The taunts were legendary lol

Everything else is more or less the same, but lan houses wont be replicated anytime soon, if ever.

For the younger folks on here, Manabyte is showing the slips you would pickup at Toys' R' Us to purchase your games. You had to pickup a slip for the game you want and take it to the register to pay for. After you paid for it you would go to the corner back section of the store at the counter where the associates will bring up your consoles, accessories and games.

In those aisle with the slips the store would have all the consoles displayed in glass running on television sets, the whole setup with the aisles was like a museum but for games. We're in 2024 and no store has come anywhere close to the experience you got at Toys' R' Us in the 90s, stores like Gamestop and Bestbuy are absolutely terrible in comparison, I'm telling you.

Last edited:
For the younger folks on here, Manabyte is showing the slips you would pickup at Toys' R' Us to purchase your games. You had to pickup a slip for the game you want and take it to the register to pay for. After you paid for it you would go to the corner back section of the store at the counter where the associates will bring up your consoles, accessories and games.

In those aisle with the slips the store would have all the consoles displayed in glass running on television sets, the whole setup with the aisles was like a museum but for games. We're in 2024 and no store has come anywhere close to the experience you got at Toys' R' Us in the 90s, stores like Gamestop and Bestbuy are absolutely terrible in comparison, I'm telling you
When Super Mario 64 came out the entire fucking floor was packed with people all the way to the escalator to get on the main floor inside Toy's R' Us. You couldn't even move on the floor, they had the TV displayed high up so we can see what was going on and there it was Mario running around, that shit was absolutely crazy. I don't care what these posters on here tell you, there is nothing that has come close since. These games today are ass and you got fanboys protecting these companies now, ridiculous.

More shit in my storage-

eYuNslJ.jpeg

GGdJn9M.jpeg

If you were really about that N64 life then I know you had this -

XI2fZi3.jpeg

These kids don't know really know about this man, I really do this and done it.

Top Bottom