• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone 3 Review Thread [Update: Reviews In OP]

I think everyone wanted the controller lag removed. We just wanted weighty controls/movement still.

We didn't however, ask for drastically lower player health, sod all recoil, fast ironsights speed, killstreaks, annoying perks (silent footsteps), wallhax, choke point maps, unbalanced spawn areas etc.

I hope the recent trailer isn't representative of what we'll get in the Beta and final game. The story trailer had me hyped. The latest 'Killstreak' trailer took the hype away for me. If I'm not going to enjoy the MP, I can pick it up later and cheaper for the single player.

BigBadShamoo said:
I'll prob pick this up instead of LBP2.

If you are truely interested in both of these games and your interest is roughly equal then do yourself the good service of getting LBP2. The games are in no way comparable, but LPB2 is amazing and at this point KZ3 is a pretty much an unknown quality that seems to have forsaken it's predecessor (for good or ill).

I for one do not mind the change in controls. It's one of the things that turned me off KZ2 and stopped me from putting a lot of time into it. CoD/Halo are currently the top of the heap when it comes to console FPS controls. Everything is smooth, quick and responsive, and after a short while you forget you about the controls and everything becomes second nature. Having the controls down, even if you have to copy another dev, lets me concentrate on all the other good and original things a developer might be able to do with the actual gameplay. I feel the same way with platformers. There are plenty of good ones, but none of them have been able to capture the perfection in terms of timing, responsiveness and weightiness that Nintendo mastered almost 30 years ago with SMB.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Ninja Scooter said:
I for one do not mind the change in controls. It's one of the things that turned me off KZ2 and stopped me from putting a lot of time into it. CoD/Halo are currently the top of the heap when it comes to console FPS controls. Everything is smooth, quick and responsive, and after a short while you forget you about the controls and everything becomes second nature. Having the controls down, even if you have to copy another dev, lets me concentrate on all the other good and original things a developer might be able to do with the actual gameplay. I feel the same way with platformers. There are plenty of good ones, but none of them have been able to capture the perfection in terms of timing, responsiveness and weightiness that Nintendo mastered almost 30 years ago with SMB.

quoting Galvanise_

We didn't however, ask for drastically lower player health, sod all recoil, fast ironsights speed, killstreaks, annoying perks (silent footsteps), wallhax, choke point maps, unbalanced spawn areas etc.

It literally looks like that instead of building on KZ2, they used a different game to build on top of.

Shurs

alr1ghtstart said:
well yeah, i meant MP

While I do miss the "weightiness" of the controls, and I also wish recoil wasn't toned down so much, I'm not bothered by the changes. I'm actually happy that, in MP, it only takes a few bullets to down an opponent.

Warzone, which was the most unique aspect of Killzone 2, remains.

What I really wanted to see was a no-respawn mode which would allow the use of cover.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The health and recoil changes seem like they are a little drastic but the movement looks similar to Bad Company 2, which I think would work well for Killzone. They still have weight but are pretty quick and precise. Could anyone that played the beta comment on what it felt like compared to BC2?

mr_nothin

Banned
Fersis said:
The game producer said it was a bug.
They became used to during development. :0

I liked KZ2 after all, couldnt play too much online due lag and rocket spamming.
They only said it was a bug after everyone told them it was a bug. There were a lot of complaints at the official forums and the devs were saying "huh? what are you talking about?" for the longest. The whole thing about the laggy controls being "buggy" is just PR.

alr1ght

RoboPlato said:
The health and recoil changes seem like they are a little drastic but the movement looks similar to Bad Company 2, which I think would work well for Killzone. They still have weight but are pretty quick and precise. Could anyone that played the beta comment on what it felt like compared to BC2?

the speed of the controls are similar but it has insane sticky aim and it's basically who shoots first wins. In KZ2 or BC2, if you die you realize it's your fault. With KZ3, every death feels extremely cheap. Low health just leads to camping and ignoring objectives.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
alr1ghtstart said:
the speed of the controls are similar but it has insane sticky aim and it's basically who shoots first wins. In KZ2 or BC2, if you die you realize it's your fault. With KZ3, every death feels extremely cheap. Low health just leads to camping and ignoring objectives.
That sucks. Hopefully the sticky aim is toned down for release. I'm bad at telling things like that from video so I didn't notice anything like that in yesterday's MP vid.

Loudninja

alr1ghtstart said:
What? that was in KZ2 as well.I was killing people with ease without using the iron sights as well in KZ2.

Shurs

alr1ghtstart said:

Granted, it's been six months since I played it, but I don't remember the players in BC2 having a lot of health.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Shurs said:
Granted, it's been six months since I played it, but I don't remember the players in BC2 having a lot of health.
You don't have too much but the distances that you were fighting at combined with the recoil made it possible to turn the tides on enemy players from time to time.

alr1ght

Loudninja said:
What? that was in KZ2 as well.I was killing people with ease without using the iron sights as well. in KZ2.

In KZ2 or BC2 if you realize you're being shot at, you have a good chance of getting away/killing your shooter with better aim.

In KZ3 if you realize you're being shot at, you're already dead. They did this same garbage to Uncharted 2's multiplayer months after release.

Maybe I'm weird, but having insane autoaim completely ruins the fun factor in games. There's nothing satisfying about locking onto an enemy and full auto'ing a machine gun for a kill. I always have to turn off the AA in COD games and they play much better after it.

Loudninja

alr1ghtstart said:
In KZ2 or BC2 if you realize you're being shot at, you have a good chance of getting away/killing your shooter with better aim.

In KZ3 if you realize you're being shot at, you're already dead. They did this same garbage to Uncharted 2's multiplayer months after release.

Maybe I'm weird, but having insane autoaim completely ruins the fun factor in games. There's nothing satisfying about locking onto an enemy and full auto'ing a machine gun for a kill. I always have to turn it off the AA in COD games and they play much better after it.
No you don't I unless you have armor you still did pretty quick in KZ2.

alr1ght

I just hope the point values between objectives and kills will be weighted towards the former. Anything to keep Warzone from turning into TDM is a good thing.

I'm sure I'm the minority, but I buy fps games for single player campaign. I know they tend to be short, but if the game's good, I like to replay them a couple times in harder difficulty. I'm not a multiplayer kind of guys, I've tried quite a few since I bought quite a lot of shooter, some of them are really fun, but I just can't stick to it in the long run because I want to play other games.

played a lot of Killzone 2 beta and have great fun with it, when the game's finally out, I've only played the multi for a week or two before I switch to another game. same with MGS4, Uncharted 2, Resistance, and CoD4. not because I don't like them. simply because I got bored easily and want to try new things to experience.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
electroshockwave said:
Which makes it all the more confusing why GG felt health needed to be reduced in KZ3.

Perhaps because it regens completely if you survive? I don't recall it restoring to full 100% in KZ2. It does in KZ3.

alr1ght

well yeah, the campaign looks fantastic so far. I'm just hoping that I can have as much fun in the MP.

I'm thinking the increased autoaim has something to do with the Move players being able to play against the DS3 players as well. Is there any autoaim when using the Move?

Facism

TTP said:
Perhaps because it regens completely if you survive? I don't recall it restoring to full 100% in KZ2. It does in KZ3.

big deal when players have the stamina of an obese duck. sprinting lasts like 2 seconds, there is no escape from sniper lmgs, unless you play infiltrator and have perm-boost.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Callibretto said:
I'm sure I'm the minority, but I buy fps games for single player campaign. I know they tend to be short, but if the game's good, I like to replay them a couple times in harder difficulty. I'm not a multiplayer kind of guys, I've tried quite a few since I bought quite a lot of shooter, some of them are really fun, but I just can't stick to it in the long run because I want to play other games.
I'm pretty much the same. I'll play MP for a bit but I replay missions and campaigns a lot. I will put some time into MP if it's for a game I really enjoy or I have some good people to play with. For me it's not a matter of wanting to play other games its just that I'm not skilled enough in MP to make it feel very satisfying and it just gets dull for me a lot faster than a good single player campaign.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
alr1ghtstart said:
well yeah, the campaign looks fantastic so far. I'm just hoping that I can have as much fun in the MP.

I'm thinking the increased autoaim has something to do with the Move players being able to play against the DS3 players as well. Is there any autoaim when using the Move?

In SP, with camera/crosshair assists off, the only aim assist you get is the COD-like snap to target upon zoom in (both with Move and DS3)

I explained all that (and more) in my vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=levDGb1FY6E

The only significant difference is the lack of recoil with the Move. Albeit it seems to me bullet spread is wider compared to DS3 shooting.

Irish

RoboPlato said:
I will put some time into MP if it's for a game I really enjoy or I have some good people to play with. For me it's not a matter of wanting to play other games its just that I'm not skilled enough in MP to make it feel very satisfying and it just gets dull for me a lot faster than a good single player campaign.

Heh, I'm pretty much the same way yet I find myself playing for around 6 hours an evening with the GAF guys.

pixelbox

You guys are completely over-reacting. We have no clue as to what they did with the other classes yet and here these "vets" jump the gun yet again, endlessly ranting without a clue. Yes, the wall hack sucks either way you look at it. Yes, the recoil has been toned down a bit. Yes, there's aim-assist but no one here knows to what extent.

From what i've noticed in the video, the hit markers don't indicate where a person was hit but "if" they were. This is maybe a reason as to why some of you are mistaking it for aim assist or low recoil. I bet you wouldn't see a diffence between kz2 and kz3 if the hud was removed. As for the s/m, some of the markers were on at the start of some scenes. Some of you are confusing this with wall hack claims. Don't get me wrong, the hack exist, but it's not as bad as some are making it out.

On that note, this open beta will be GG last shot at correcting their wrongs. Hopefully, they will take the destined complains during the beta and release a "launch patch" to fix some of the glarring design issues.

Shurs said:
BFBC2 has changed it's damage value over the months. They have taken the 25% extra damage multiplier out. Nerf strong weapons for some odd reason overpowered automatic shotguns.

The player's health has always remained 100% for regular 60% for hardcore.

I'll give an example of the most drastic change.

AN-94 use to do 25.0 - 20.9 minimum and 31.25 - 26.125 with magnum ammunition. So it use to kill with 3 bullets close range and 4 bullets long range with magnum ammunition and 1 more each without.

Now it does 16.7 - 14.3 minimum and 20.875 - 17.875 with magnum ammunition. 5 bullet upclose and 6 bullet long range.

I like it though, it puts more emphasis on aiming.

Callibretto said:
I'm sure I'm the minority, but I buy fps games for single player campaign. I know they tend to be short, but if the game's good, I like to replay them a couple times in harder difficulty.

Same here...

...which is why I want online coop. A LOT.

That increases the longevity of a good campaign so much... namely at least 2x.

pixelbox said:
You guys are completely over-reacting. We have no clue as to what they did with the other classes yet and here these "vets" jump the gun yet again, endlessly ranting without a clue. Yes, the wall hack sucks either way you look at it. Yes, the recoil has been toned down a bit. Yes, there's aim-assist but no one here knows to what extent.

From what i've noticed in the video, the hit markers don't indicate where a person was hit but "if" they were. This is maybe a reason as to why some of you are mistaking it for aim assist or low recoil. I bet you wouldn't see a diffence between kz2 and kz3 if the hud was removed. As for the s/m, some of the markers were on at the start of some scenes. Some of you are confusing this with wall hack claims. Don't get me wrong, the hack exist, but it's not as bad as some are making it out.

On that note, this open beta will be GG last shot at correcting their wrongs. Hopefully, they will take the destined complains during the beta and release a "launch patch" to fix some of the glarring design issues.

I agree about the auto aim. Never once felt it in the beta and didn't see evidence of it in the new video.

But the recoil has taken a huge hit. In the beta you could literally take an SMG or M82 and just hold down R1. There was no need to fire in bursts.

And the whole perk system is just really silly and game breaking. There's a reason why most players hated the boost ability in KZ2.

I have no problem with a perk system, if all perks are available from the beginning. It (together with weapon customization) is an awesome way to provide deep class customization.

In CoD4, perks were tied to experience, etc., which was annoying (since you started off at a disadvantage to other players). However, even with that, perks in that game were awesome and one of the nicest innovations in online multiplayer of the past few years.

RedRedSuit said:
Same here...

...which is why I want online coop. A LOT.

That increases the longevity of a good campaign so much... namely at least 2x.
I can understand when games don't include co-op if the developers feel that it just wouldn't work properly for the campaign they have designed, but if you go to the trouble of including co-op at all, you must go to the trouble of getting it to work online too or it's a huge waste/tease IMHO.

The Nature Roy said:
I can understand when games don't include co-op if the developers feel that it just wouldn't work properly for the campaign they have designed, but if you go to the trouble of including co-op at all, you must go to the trouble of getting it to work online too or it's a huge waste/tease IMHO.

Agreed.

I'm still holding out irrational hope that it'll be in there at same point....

Callibretto said:
Which games are your favorites for singleplayer campaigns? I'm looking for some recommendations, can be any of the three major consoles out now (but not PC) and you sound like you would know.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Big Killzone fan here... but found the controls in the beta to be a disheartening mess. Just hated them. Hated them.

Hopefully single player will be like KZ2. Otherwise I'm going to be really disappointed. Anyway the beta controls were bad enough that I'm going to rent this or something before I consider buying it.

H_Prestige said:
I agree about the auto aim. Never once felt it in the beta and didn't see evidence of it in the new video.

But the recoil has taken a huge hit. In the beta you could literally take an SMG or M82 and just hold down R1. There was no need to fire in bursts.

And the whole perk system is just really silly and game breaking. There's a reason why most players hated the boost ability in KZ2.

Interesting that you didn't feel the auto aim in the beta. I was having it activate from the hip at medium distance against disguised Infiltrators, and at close-medium range against cloaked marksmen. It tended to be pretty sticky as well. There was also a fair amount of snap-to-target when transferring to ADS even at long range (with the LMG).

pixelbox

the_prime_mover said:
Interesting that you didn't feel the auto aim in the beta. I was having it activate from the hip at medium distance against disguised Infiltrators, and at close-medium range against cloaked marksmen. It tended to be pretty sticky as well. There was also a fair amount of snap-to-target when transferring to ADS even at long range (with the LMG).
The only time i had Aim assist activated is when i was going toe to toe with a medic and his bot. After i would kill him the system snaps on to his bot, but that was the only occurence. As for the "snap-to-target", i had yet to experience this. Not saying is wasn't there, TTP showed that, but it's no where near the extent of say, COD. Most people don't realise that if you "follow" a target, most likely the target is already in the middle of your screen so there little effort in aiming down the sights, the dot's already on the target.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Are there going to be persistent badges to work on like in KZ2 or is everything going to be a "per match" perk like way everything worked in the beta? Half the time I had no real idea what I was doing that would earn me something like silent footsteps in the first place.

Wait.

This game has killstreaks and perks? How do the perks work? Are they ripped directly from CoD or is it more like Bad Company 2?

pixelbox

H_Prestige said:

Recoil as in how much the gun "shakes" or bullet spread? So i've watched the video for like the 20th time and many people don't take in account that there's a little perk called "bullet damage" that probably making health seem low. What's also slipping the mind is the video has many examples of burst fire. As a matter of fact i would say half the video has it. Can't say for sure but the running speed seems to have slowed down.

All and all the most annoying thing about the video to me seemed to be the spot and mark and the perk system. Perk system specifically as the way it's being implimented encourages camping/turtling. -_-" We'll if i can recall, they were only activated when you've done something team based so really my irritation falls into the fact that when you die you still keep them. And i'm not counting at the end of the video where he dies and is revived a second later...

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Does the game have constant lightning storms and dust flying everywhere crapping up the screen????

:Yea, I hated the look of KZ2:

pixelbox

Tkawsome said:
Wait.

This game has killstreaks and perks? How do the perks work? Are they ripped directly from CoD or is it more like Bad Company 2?
Well, they're killstreaks, meaning you are rewarded for killing without dying. But the catch is they're kind of work like trophies, meaning you have to do something specific to get them like saving 5 people from dying in a battle gives you bullet damage. Bullet damage increases damage per bullet.

pixelbox said:
Well, they're killstreaks, meaning you are rewarded for killing without dying. But the catch is they're kind of work like trophies, meaning you have to do something specific to get them like saving 5 people from dying in a battle gives you bullet damage. Bullet damage increases damage per bullet.

Hm. So are they a one time use, a constant unlock or a "works until you die" thing? I haven't been following this game much so sorry if it's been plastered everywhere. If it's just a temporary boost it seems strange to have requirements like "save 5 people".

pixelbox

Brandon F said:
Does the game have constant lightning storms and dust flying everywhere crapping up the screen????

:Yea, I hated the look of KZ2:
From what i understand they do. This time, however, it snow blowing all over the place. There's also a MP level with a huge crater full of petrosite complete with arching lightling.

pixelbox

H_Prestige said:
Why would you even need more bullet damage? Players drop like flies in this game.
No completely true, we don't know what changes were implimented and most of the time he has bullet damage. For all we know based off the video other players could of been using the same thing. And by the way, that video was record before the patch where changes were made to the recoil. So bullet spread is the issue as hand and not animation.

Tkawsome said:
Hm. So are they a one time use, a constant unlock or a "works until you die" thing? I haven't been following this game much so sorry if it's been plastered everywhere.
In the beta it was automatic. If you did the deed it would pop up on the side of the screen and last of a duration of time. There was no limit to how many as long as they were in the time frame of each other. And no one knows if it works until you die yet but in the beta that wasn't the case.

NIN90

TTP said:
In SP, with camera/crosshair assists off, the only aim assist you get is the COD-like snap to target upon zoom in (both with Move and DS3)

I explained all that (and more) in my vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=levDGb1FY6E

The only significant difference is the lack of recoil with the Move. Albeit it seems to me bullet spread is wider compared to DS3 shooting.

Holy fuck your accent is awesome.

Top Bottom