• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Roster Discussion thread. Leaked roster in first post

Well things just got interesting super quick...

Overall, the snippets of these designs look promising, can't wait to see how they translate to 3D.

Edit: the hooded guy on the official team reminds me of Raven from Guilty Gear (who just recently was announced for Revolator)

Kamina777

Banned
With a roster like this, the special team combination story elements, especially the endings should be glorious, I hope SNK takes advantage of the possibilities! "All geezer" team for the geriatric win! "Blonde Dudes" team with Geese and Billy forgetting King is a lady and running with that name despite her half hearted objection to it!

This is the only fighting game I am excited for this year, the only thing that would have made this game perfect would have been seeing the New Band team members return with different outfits..

OmegaDL50

With a roster like this, the special team combination story elements, especially the endings should be glorious, I hope SNK takes advantage of the possibilities! "All geezer" team for the geriatric win! "Blonde Dudes" team with Geese and Billy forgetting King is a lady and running with that name despite her half hearted objection to it!

This is the only fighting game I am excited for this year, the only thing that would have made this game perfect would have been seeing the New Band team members return with different outfits..

Oh yeah I remember some of the goofy teams you could make in KOF98

Like the Hat Team Terry, Clark, and Lucky.

Or the Sidekick team of Benimaru, Andy, and Robert.

While those endings were little more then a single picture. I wonder how they are going to do these sort of special teams in XIV (at least I hope they exist)

orioto

Good Art™
Late but damn i hate those sparks... Looks ps2 era. Random bloom and round energy... Shit when games were 2D there was actually art involved in designing sparks and effects...

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
It's obviously not the CSS, but it lines up with the super leak, AND a lot of that art and recycled CGI is probably placeholdery as fuck.

Yep, it's highly likely to be placeholder images. I think this KOF might be my first day 1 purchase for KOF franchise. Everything look so good so far.

BadWolf

The cyborg boxer on the South American team looks like a lady, right? She looks cool, and is possibly the first new black character in KOF since Seth.

She does have red hair though, really hope she isn't planned as a replacement for Vanessa. Hope her fighting style is distinct so both characters can co-exist.

And again, I certainly hope so. At this point, they and Ash's Teammates are pretty much the only glaring omissions for me in what is looking to be the most exciting KOF roster in years.

Yeah this is easily one of the more interesting rosters to date in a KOF.

Love how they went all out with brand new characters as well, there are so many and all look so interesting.

12 brand new characters is pretty nuts, and then there are a bunch that have never been in a KOF before. These characters alone are more than the starting roster for various other fighting games.

With him being older and looking heavier, I wouldn't be surprised if his moves involved fewer but stronger individual hits (Silber in XI comes to mind, although he was supposed to practice a variation on karate). I'm more curious to see how his wife plays, since while age is likely to be a factor in how she moves (I'm not really expecting splits and elaborate acrobatics), raw brute force seems less likely.

Something like VF's Aoi would make sense for the wife I think, a style that is more methodical and reserved.

Beckx

I pray that is real!
Kensou with the old look!? Now that would be surprise I'd like to see

Kensou was right (in his conversation with K' in arcade mode) - edgelords are over, bring on the normal dudes!

Yagami team has a lot of consistency in style of the portraits here, i like it.

Kim team looks GREAT.

new villain got that crazypants stare going on.

hard to gauge the official and china teams yet. first member of china team looks like the protagonist of a Devil Survivor game (that's not a criticism!).

So it looks like we only have one black character in a roster of 50 characters. Where are the black characters? Are they hidden on the roster?

BadWolf

Still think it's worth creating a new thread for this news, a lot of people miss things like this in mega threads. It's basically the first real look at the majority of the cast.

kunonabi

Japanese fighters rarely have girls & women outside of their teens & their 20's playable, all because it's probably offensive in Japan.

The only exceptions are both Ivy & Hilde from Soul Calibur, & both are in their early to mid 30's.

aside from the others mentioned there is also Mitsuko from Bloody Roar and Mary from Tobal.

Loona

No fuck that!
SNK was at its best when it was inspired by the 80s and 90s, I say keep the designs.

Lucky was inspired on Kareem Abdul Jabbar in Bruce Lee's Game of Death - that's from 79.
According to his page in the anniversary site he used to have a plainer-looking design, so if they ever bring him back, now that he's well established they could drop the heavy-handed basketball signifiers for something closer to the original concept.

I'm really glad to have seen that roster pic, as it has made me more excited to see these new and returning characters.

"Geese's butler" is actually Geese's butler? For realsies? That's uh...interesting. I imagine that he'll end up being this game's Oswald. Otherwise, I don't really have a whole lot to say about every other new character. I just really want to see the new prisoner that's teaming with Chang and Choi, and that chinese opera mask lady from the "Special Invitation" team. Those are the ones I'm most interested in right now.

Ok sure I buy this is real but what's with the inconsistent art? Athena looks more anime than the rest, Alice is 3d, the first member of the China Team has a completely different angle than everyone else and the South America Team was made by a completely different artist.
I know it's a placeholder but what a rather weird placeholder it is.

BadWolf

Ok sure I buy this is real but what's with the inconsistent art? Athena looks more anime than the rest, Alice is 3d, the first member of the China Team has a completely different angle than everyone else and the South America Team was made by a completely different artist.
I know it's a placeholder but what a rather weird placeholder it is.

From SRK's user JohnGrimm:

I've already explained it in a few places but one more time won't hurt. What you're looking at is concept art. Obviously at some point in development they needed to design the characters so they would know how they looked before making them in 3D. What does this have to do with Alice? Well she didn't need concept art because she did not get redesigned from the Fatal Fury pachinko game. Her render is placeholder art. I mean, all of this is. People have been calling it a charactet select screen but I really doubt it. It looks more like promotional material or possibly a pitch. They might have used the artwork and the size of the roster to get the project greenlit initially. No one knows the origin of the image but what is clear is that it's VERY old.

So yeah, Alice didn't need concept art because her design was already done. Other things to note is that there are a couple art styles going on because there are two artists. Most of the art is Eisuke Ogura, but characters like Athena and the electric idol on the Official team are done by a new artist. Looks like they were putting him through his paces and trying to get the whole team up to par. There's a lot going on with this image, so it's kinda hard to break it down if you don't know where to start.

drol

Neo Member
billy_costumes_by_ronnymaia-d9vbce0.jpg

From SRK's user JohnGrimm:

Ah makes sense. Thanks,man.
Really digging the new characters if they do remain that way in the final game.
Guess SNK finally gets the handsome megane character they wanted with Oswald?
Ah, also, the first chinese guy has headphones on(this guy's supposed to be the main character right?). Edgelord confirmed.

They should bring back the USA Sports team for DLC, albeit with updated designs that don't look like they belong in a 90s sitcom

No fuck that!
SNK was at its best when it was inspired by the 80s and 90s, I say keep the designs.

The only way that the U.S. Team can be relevant again, is if they take Heavy D!, & pull a K9999 to Nameless by giving him a new name along with two new, better designed teammates, especially when only a small minority of people knows who they are.

Other than that, fat chance it'll happen.

TreIII

The only way that the U.S. Team can be relevant again, is if they take Heavy D!, & pull a K9999 to Nameless by giving him a new name along with two new, better designed teammates, especially when only a small minority of people knows who they are.

Other than that, fat chance it'll happen.

Or, as suggested in the other topic, Americans will get "rewarded" with having a revamped Team USA as DLC or in the sequel, if American support for the game is high enough. Pffffft.

Loona

Or, as suggested in the other topic, Americans will get "rewarded" with having a revamped Team USA as DLC or in the sequel, if American support for the game is high enough. Pffffft.

How would that not get interpreted as just keeping Terry and other more recurring US characters in the game?

It's not like we see a whole lot of fan works or even just stuff like forum avatars or Twitter icons based on the sports team out there to help signal that preference...

TreIII

How would that not get interpreted as just keeping Terry and other more recurring US characters in the game?

It's not like we see a whole lot of fan works or even just stuff like forum avatars or Twitter icons based on the sports team out there to help signal that preference...

That was the joke, dear Loona!

I thought the statement was outrageous enough as it was, before adding the "pffffft".
KuGsj.gif

Seeing all the new characters together on one screen like gets me excited about this. This is the most fresh roster in a KOF besides XI. They could have messed around with outfits more but I guess those have been hit or miss anyway. I am just glad there are new characters to explore. Now all I need to hear about are a GGPO announcement, a steam edition, and DLC plans and I will be a happy man.

Traditional looks need to change. Tired of same old same old outfits/styles

@MUWANdo

Banned
Lucky was inspired on Kareem Abdul Jabbar in Bruce Lee's Game of Death - that's from 79.
According to his page in the anniversary site he used to have a plainer-looking design, so if they ever bring him back, now that he's well established they could drop the heavy-handed basketball signifiers for something closer to the original concept.

They could always go back to their original plans:

Originally, we planned to make Lucky Grauber a black man who was obsessed with Japanese culture, but as his design got updated and we added his American clothes and appearance, it no longer made sense for him to be a Japanophile, so we dropped the idea.

There's a translated design breakdown of the entire '94 roster here: http://shmuplations.com/kof94/

JayEH

I really hope the story in 14 is fully voice acted. I had no problem with the presentation in 13 but it was so weird it just being text.

Tizoc

Eh arc sys are imo the one fg dev whose story mode i put any interst in for the most part
Snk and capcpom? Not so much

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
why aren't they bringing back the US Sports Team anyway?

but in any case, at least they're not erased from existence!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
The idea of being able to SAVE at Orochi on Sega Saturn really surprised me. That was one of the first things that pushed me from looking at FG stories as a collection of fights, and more like a boss battle in an RPG.

As far as story sequences being voiced, well, we have seen the victory screens at the end of a match with voice. So it's possible SNKP goes the extra mile and has the Seiyuu record hundreds, if not thousands of extra lines, for story modes with 50 characters. They did it for the MI series! So there is precedence. Nobuyuki Hiyama running around as Joe Higashi would always be a pleasure to hear.

But much like with something such as Project X Zone, I'd be happy with voice just being used for key stuff.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Cdp_wvJUUAACtaN.jpg:orig

Yeah that cracked me up when I first heard it. That and Fio going "FUCK YOU" with one of her moves. I just hope if they if they go with English dubbing (which would make sense if they were really to get as many people on board as possible), they get some noteworthy and talented VAs

Don't remember Fio swearing at us (I'd expect "Ba-Kyuu!", the Japanese onamonapia for a gunshot that Blue Mary also makes), but definitely remember it happening with MI 1's Ending theme!

They mentioned already having the voice work finished in one of their interviews. If they plan an English dub, I wonder if that'd already be done too?

BadWolf

Do you guys think we will get more reveals at the Korean showing on the 20th?

On the one hand they have already revealed 3 characters this month but on the other revealing Kim and/or his team would be perfect for this.

And it's not like they are hurting for reveals, they have 30 characters to go and there won't be enough time to reveal them prior to a fall release if they just reveal 3 or less characters a month.

That's a new looking normal for Clark. Don't think he's ever had an LK or HK that looked like that. Strong looking pose for Tung.

The background also seems to have received some work, this is how it used to look:

The floor in particular seems to jive with the characters better in the new shot. Still, this is the least impressive BG so far overall.

TreIII

Do you guys think we will get more reveals at the Korean showing on the 20th?

On the one hand they have already revealed 3 characters this month but on the other revealing Kim and/or his team would be perfect for this.

And it's not like they are hurting for reveals, they have 30 characters to go and there won't be enough time to reveal them prior to a fall release if they just reveal 3 or less characters a month.

I'd at LEAST expect Kim. The rest of his team (Master, Master's Wife) if they were really ready to show off who Kim's new teammates are, since Choi and Chang aren't part of his squad.

Tizoc

Don't remember Fio swearing at us (I'd expect "Ba-Kyuu!", the Japanese onamonapia for a gunshot that Blue Mary also makes), but definitely remember it happening with MI 1's Ending theme!

They mentioned already having the voice work finished in one of their interviews. If they plan an English dub, I wonder if that'd already be done too?

Well damn
He's farting a giant again!

I dont see any reason why they wouldnt reveal something. I mean, they can literally reveal one character a week and still have time to meet a release date(unless they move it to 2017).

BTW I'm counting 6 shirtless men at least in the roster. Is that a new record or something?

Hmm, I guess that would make more sense. In the English dub, Terry didn't say Jesus and Fio doesn't say anything during her run and grab move which, at the time, made me think it was some overlooked profanity.

Anyway, back to XIV! That screen looks great!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Cdu1sPpVIAA8CsV.jpg:orig

That's a new looking normal for Clark. Don't think he's ever had an LK or HK that looked like that. Strong looking pose for Tung.

The background also seems to have received some work, this is how it used to look:

The floor in particular seems to jive with the characters better in the new shot. Still, this is the least impressive BG so far overall.

IT'S THE NEW START UP FOR THE NEO SHINING WIZARD!!! ... Well, I'd hope so, anyway. Tung totally went back to FF2 for that pose, and I appreciate it! I swear his energy explosion looks like a faded Super Saiyan hairstyle...

Well damn
He's farting a giant again!

And this time it's not killing him to do so! I'm glad he's not as near death's door as he was in Real Bout!

Hmm, I guess that would make more sense. In the English dub, Terry didn't say Jesus and Fio doesn't say anything during her run and grab move which, at the time, made me think it was some overlooked profanity.

Anyway, back to XIV! That screen looks great!

MI 1 and 2 had really goofy engrish VA. I still don't understand why Lilly Kane made dog sounds.... Iori saying "Doshita!?" In English as "What's Wrong" gave a nice glimpse into what the JP side must feel every time he throws a projectile. Kyo's roll sound of "Oooon-TAAAA!" still rings in my ears sometimes... there's a lot of memorable-for-all-the-wrong-reasons stuff in that game, haha.

Top Bottom