• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 3D Dream Drop Distance |OT| Sora is Everyone in Every Dimension

Famassu

Eh, if you know that Sora is all the good guys, you already know the converse for the bad guys.
Eh, could we please stop with this nonsense. Only Sora is Sora (and Roxas is his Nobody). That's hardly a superhard concept to grasp. The rest are completely separate good guys.

Though, you are right with the bad guy thing, but that makes perfect sense in an "evil guy uses darkness to extend his life" way. I like it that Xehanort is the one big bad in the game and all of his "forms" make sense within the KH Universe's rules (embracing the darkness, body possession, Heartless & Nobody forms).

Berordn

I'm predicting some flack about the convoluted story from reviewers.

That's never really been an issue for the other games. If I'm remembering right, Re:Coded got bashed for being a light side-story more than its role in the convoluted plot as a whole.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
That's never really been an issue for the other games. If I'm remembering right, Re:Coded got bashed for being a light side-story more than its role in the convoluted plot as a whole.

This is the game where all the story makes no semblance of tenuous sense at all, however. KH2 played fast and loose, Birth by Sleep and the DS title benefitted from being prequels of sorts, while this is in the unenviable position of tying all the new shit from BbS to current day KH through some new ultra convoluted tech/magic/setting.

Berordn

This is the game where all the story makes no semblance of tenuous sense at all, however. KH2 played fast and loose, Birth by Sleep and the DS title benefitted from being prequels of sorts, while this is in the unenviable position of tying all the new shit from BbS to current day KH through some new ultra convoluted tech/magic/setting.

If you were paying close attention to BBS, that's where they did most of the bullshitting and tying the series together. 3D just expands on that and brings everything in alignment for a final confrontation.

But I guess with how loosely BBS played with those points, it could lead to some confusion.

Soul Beat

Oh man, I can't wait for this. Hopefully I'll be able to pick it up before I go on vacation.

Otherwise, I'll be one sad panda.

bumpkin

When I was at GameStop this weekend debating whether I wanted to preorder this or not, I found a used copy of the Kingdom Hearts for PSP. How was that particular entry in the series?

Mzo

When I was at GameStop this weekend debating whether I wanted to preorder this or not, I found a used copy of the Kingdom Hearts for PSP. How was that particular entry in the series?
Birth By Sleep is like, retarded good for a PSP game.

Seda

Many people consider BBS the best one. Also people praise the battle system. It even clarifies plot elements

Famassu

Not as good as Kingdom Hearts II, leagues better than 358/2 Days.
It's better than (vanilla) KHII in many (most) aspects (I'd say II's Final Mix is about on par with it). The ones it isn't are purely due to the hardware differences of the two platforms, not really anything they could've done much better without the game being on a home console.

Dereck

It's better than (vanilla) KHII in many (most) aspects (I'd say II's Final Mix is about on par with it). The ones it isn't are purely due to the hardware differences of the two platforms, not really anything they could've done much better without the game being on a home console.
My nostalgia is showing.

Synless

It is my favorite out of the whole series, with KH2 right behind it.

Synless

Personally, BBS > Re:coded > KHII > Days > KHI > CoM/Re:CoM. Only speaking for myself, of course. I know that most people would likely rate Days and coded much lower.
You put 358/2 over KH1? How? Why? I couldn't even finish the game it was so bad.

Currently playing through BbS in preparation. Only beat Terra's story on my first go around, so I'm finally taking care of the other players. Went through Terra's again, and now I'm halfway through Ven's. Fun stuff.

Anyone in America waiting until August 19 to play this? Seriously debating if I want to hold out so I can enjoy this on a 3DS XL...

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Re:CoM is actually one of the better KH games. Learn2play.

Most people just randomly threw in cards. People didn't know to put 0 cards at the end and arrange the cards in a way to react defensively and chain up for sleights. *sigh*.

Synless

I never did buy recoded. I probably should pick that up sometime.

I enjoyed both the battle system and story much more. The panels allowed a great degree of customization as well, which I really loved.
The story and combat is the only thing that got me as far as I did (maybe 3/4's through the game) but the repetitiveness of the missions and areas eventually drove me away.

Berordn

Most people just randomly threw in cards. People didn't know to put 0 cards at the end and arrange the cards in a way to react defensively and chain up for sleights. *sigh*.

When the other games in the series reward you for playing haphazardly, it's hard to blame them. I loved CoM though, remake especially.

duckroll

When the other games in the series reward you for playing haphazardly, it's hard to blame them. I loved CoM though, remake especially.

But they don't. Being able to complete a game by playing poorly does not mean the game rewards you for playing poorly. It just means the game is poorly balanced to set a decent challenge. All the KH games have systems in place which reward players for playing well or putting effort in. You just don't need those advantages in most of them because it's so goddamn easy.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
But they don't. Being able to complete a game by playing poorly does not mean the game rewards you for playing poorly. It just means the game is poorly balanced to set a decent challenge. All the KH games have systems in place which reward players for playing well or putting effort in. You just don't need those advantages in most of them because it's so goddamn easy.

Which is the reason why KHII is so ridiculously easy.

Re:CoM is actually one of the better KH games. Learn2play.

I liked how CoM played. The card battle system was incredibly fun and ingenious. I'd love to see it make a return at some point. However, I despised how the (semi) randomly generated rooms worked.

Seeing the same room layouts over and over really got on my nerves. No real point in having worlds if all of the rooms are basically the same thing over and over with different skins for each world. Along with the poorly condensed KHI storylines for each one, it got tiring for me pretty quickly. At a certain point, I just started rushing through each world just to get to the end of the game. I mean, I don't *dislike* the game, but it's definitely my least favorite so far.

duckroll

I liked how CoM played. The card battle system was incredibly fun and ingenious. I'd love to see it make a return at some point. However, I despised how the (semi) randomly generated rooms worked.

Seeing the same room layouts over and over really got on my nerves. No real point in having worlds if all of the rooms are basically the same thing over and over with different skins for each world. Along with the poorly condensed KHI storylines for each one, it got tiring for me pretty quickly. At a certain point, I just started rushing through each world just to get to the end of the game. I mean, I don't *dislike* the game, but it's definitely my least favorite so far.

Nothing wrong with repetition if it's designed like a dungeon crawler. Gameplay is more important than story and presentation anyway. If I cared about story in KH games, I would have stopped after KH2! CoM/Re:CoM has awesome gameplay, great mechanics, and really fun battles. They're also still playable today, which is more than I can say for KH1.

Wait, people are saying Re:Coded is the second best in the series? Should I hold off on KH:3D and pick up Re:Coded instead?

Not for story reasons, just for saving money reasons

duckroll

Wait, people are saying Re:Coded is the second best in the series? Should I hold off on 3DS and pick up Re:Coded instead?

No, you really shouldn't. Re:Coded is a 10 hour game, and is more like a simplified action game spin-off than anything else. Each world has some different minigame gimmick, some are more fun than others, the combat uses a lot of stuff from BbS, so it's pretty fun at the base, but it's really low on actual content. It's also pretty ugly (why would anyone want to play a 3D action RPG for the DS when there are better options in the series? It's hideous!), the camera is really close to the action making it hard to see sometimes, and the control kinda blows on a d-pad. 3D controls on a d-pad = ROFLMAO.

tkscz

3D seems to have done away with that from what I played in the demo. Play haphazardly got me killed, playing with skill got me through without a scratch (except for the boss but, even then I only took a small amount of damage).

Berordn

Reward was poor word choice on my part, but the benefits you get for playing well can be overshadowed by the ease of just mashing attack and cure in 1 and especially 2, depending on your playstyle. When they removed things like the bonus XP for narrowly dodging and perfect blocks from KH1, it made brute force more attractive to blow through the game if you were only playing it for the sake of completion like most of the people I know.

Part of the reason why I love Critical mode and why it should always be available in the games.

Wait, people are saying Re:Coded is the second best in the series? Should I hold off on 3DS and pick up Re:Coded instead?

It's fun, but the main reason I like it is just that it borrows so much from BBS and that it's a great portable game. If you're looking for a fulfilling entry in the series, look elsewhere.

Seda

Re:coded has very little significance to the series as a whole, but it has a BBS like battle system and is just fun to play.

Top Bottom