• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 3D Dream Drop Distance |OT| Sora is Everyone in Every Dimension

For BBS they gave:

7.5 Presentation
Well polished, though load times are a bit longer than I'd like. Overall story is engaging and has plenty of charm, though some Disney side stories lack a punch.

7.5 Graphics
Superb character models and particle effects, but environments feel hollow and static.

7.0 Sound
Some of the same flipping tunes show up again in Birth by Sleep, but there are new songs to enjoy and the voice actors do a splendid job. It's great to hear Leonard Nimoy as a villain.

8.5 Gameplay
Fantastic combat system with plenty to upgrade and customize. Robust multiplayer. Mostly fun mini-games.

8.5 Lasting Appeal
Three different campaigns, with tons of secrets to unlock along the way.

8.5/10

Days is fucking horrible. If you value your time and sanity, don't ever play it. That's all I can say.

Well said. I hated it because I was waiting for a symbol to appear half the time that would make me do some badass combo but nooo.

EDIT: And you'd think that being able to play as THE ENTIRE ORGANIZATION in previous missions would make for a wonderful game too!

Pretty much what I expected. I like how they mention that while the story is very silly, it is in no way a bad story.

Seda

For BBS they gave:

7.5 Presentation
Well polished, though load times are a bit longer than I'd like. Overall story is engaging and has plenty of charm, though some Disney side stories lack a punch.

7.5 Graphics
Superb character models and particle effects, but environments feel hollow and static.

7.0 Sound
Some of the same flipping tunes show up again in Birth by Sleep, but there are new songs to enjoy and the voice actors do a splendid job. It's great to hear Leonard Nimoy as a villain.

8.5 Gameplay
Fantastic combat system with plenty to upgrade and customize. Robust multiplayer. Mostly fun mini-games.

8.5 Lasting Appeal
Three different campaigns, with tons of secrets to unlock along the way.

8.5/10

Different reviewer, however.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
For BBS they gave:

7.5 Presentation

7.5 Graphics

What a joke - BBS graphics and presentation are among the best on the system.

Tyeforce

Given the appearance of some characters i've seen in screenshots, it'll spoil some of it. I don't think it'll ruin the ending though. It really just depends on how far you are in the game.
I'm only, like, an hour in. I know all of the characters already, though. Just not any plot details.

I always get confused with IGN's sub scores some times. "Some of the best graphics on the system" -8.5

What would it take to get above a 9?

Edit: And why is the special edition selling so high on Amazon? It's 55 bucks.

I just beat Birth By Sleep last night, and I can't wait to sink my teeth into Dream Drop Distance. A friend pre-ordered the game for my birthday, so I'll be there day one.

The story is obviously a bit convoluted, but it doesn't get in the way of my enjoyment of the game.

Based on the demo, I have similar complaints about the camera. As others have mentioned, it seems far too close to Sora. The camera also goes haywire during the boss fight. Hopefully, it isn't as bad in the retail version. I was fine with the camera in Birth By Sleep.

I love the music in Birth By Sleep. I'm a big Zelda fan, and I always hoped Yoko Shimomura would compose some tracks for a Zelda game. Recent Zelda games like Wind Waker have some wonderful tracks, but I've always thought of the combat music as lackluster. They're almost distracting. Yoko's tracks really pump me up during a battle.

I've played Days, and I actually enjoyed it during that time. However, once I finished it, I realized how poor it was in comparison to other games in the series. Combat was shallow, and I never liked mission-based gaming.

I'm just ready for Kingdom Hearts III. It's also difficult to follow the series when it switches platforms every game.

I'm only, like, an hour in. I know all of the characters already, though. Just not any plot details.

I would complete the game, not only in preparation for Dream Drop Distance, but also because it's simply a good game. I enjoyed the story more than Kingdom Hearts.

Famassu

Okay you realize how that sounds even crazier and more nonsensical than "Everyone is Sora", right?
Uh... no it doesn't. For everybody to actually "be Sora" there'd need to be some very nonsensical explanations whereas the actual state of things just plays around with some basic rules of the KH Universe (where the heart is kind of like "the spirit" of a person that isn't 100% tied to the body, and where Heartless & Nobodies exist as kind of incomplete parts of one's self).

I don't see how Ven's heart residing inside Sora's is some OMG BATSHIT INSANE storytelling. It was a neat little twist in KHI with Kairi and after that not that surprising development in BBS. The Xion subplot is worthless, but it's not really nonsensical given that the Org XIII members were scientists and they failed to control Sora, so they'd have reason to and the brains & the means to do something like Xion. We have a world where there are these dark creatures who devour hearts of people, leaving behind more Heartless and their empty bodies (aka Nobodies). It's fantasy. Sure, it's crazy, but that's the KH world and its rules.

zroid

Banned
Shouldn't gameplay and graphics be rated higher since the reviewer praises them?

I DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW IGN RATES GAMES!

the trick is to ignore everything except the overall score. they're totally meaningless.

waiting for snarky comment about IGN's entire reviews being meaningless

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I always get confused with IGN's sub scores some times. "Some of the best graphics on the system" -8.5

What would it take to get above a 9?

Edit: And why is the special edition selling so high on Amazon? It's 55 bucks.

Eh, it seems people really wants that Special Edition, it's doing like crazy not only on Amazon, but also in other places where it's available.

Berordn

I really hope 3D's loading times aren't as bad as BBS. They're atrocious in BBS.

When you turned up all the possible settings in BBS and had it installed, it was actually fairly snappy, except for some lag on opening the menu. 3D is faster than that, though.

the trick is to ignore everything except the overall score. they're totally meaningless.

waiting for snarky comment about IGN's entire reviews being meaningless

I mean, IGN reviews are totally meaningful as a general idea of how games are IMO.

Except for
GTA4 of course lol.

also

Banned
When you turned up all the possible settings in BBS and had it installed, it was actually fairly snappy, except for some lag on opening the menu. 3D is faster than that, though.

I'm glad to hear that. BBS's loading was awful even with the install and higher CPU frequency enabled. It wasn't that long but it was way too frequent; every transition between the mostly small areas, not to mention before and after every cutscene. The final part has like 4 consecutive cutscenes and each one has to be loaded separately.

duckroll

Interestingly enough, if you copy BbS into an ISO and play it directly off the memory stick, load times are 1-2 seconds and there is no lag in the menu.

When I played, the farther I got into the game, the longer some of the loading times became (Not sure if it has to do with the maps in each world getting progressively bigger or what). 3-5 seconds seemed to be the average load time for me.

It'll be nice to play as Riku for once without being restricted to a card battle system or a multiplayer mode.

Or a 30-second segment during the final boss.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Riku and Sora remind me of Bobby Hill and Joseph after Joseph went to camp and hit puberty. Every time I see them, that's the first thing that comes to mind. If only Riku also had a bad cracking voice and a tiny mustache.

Seda

Game Informer's review is up, 8.25.

Summary

Concept
Bring monster collecting and 3D to the Kingdom Hearts franchise

Graphics
Visuals are crisp, colorful, and creative. The framerate holds steady in all but very rare cases

Sound
The excellent voice cast impresses once again (except the atrocious Beat dialogue). Classical music on the Fantasia-inspired level steals the show

Playability
Combat works smoothly, but constantly having to dig into menus gets to be a drag

Entertainment
This sets the table for Kingdom Hearts III, so jump aboard if you’re looking for a quality refresher course

Replay
Moderately High

Mael

So it's nearly out then?
From what I played at Japanexpo and the demo it'll more than rock, let's hope it's more Coded/BBS than Days...
I was pretty surprised at how good Coded was actually, is the mobile version anywhere close to the DS game?

RPGCrazied

Does this have a lot of touch gameplay? I'm hoping no. I think I'll have enough of that from theaterythm: final fantasy.

It'll be nice to play as Riku for once without being restricted to a card battle system or a multiplayer mode.

Or a 30-second segment during the final boss.

I'm starting to like Riku more, anyways. Usually, I like the goofy main character, but that's because they can also turn badass in a second. Sora does/says nothing badass ever.

I'm starting to like Riku more, anyways. Usually, I like the goofy main character, but that's because they can also turn badass in a second. Sora does/says nothing badass ever.

Sora's Form Changes in Kingdom Hearts II would like a word with you.

And how can you not love when he spouts his impossibly, awesomely dramatic, cheesy lines in really important cutscenes? :)

The *one* really negative review is the only one you're going to trust? Seriously?

Pretty much.

The reviewers they've been using for the past few years seem to have the same tastes as me - games they like I have liked, games they dislike that I have made the mistake of buying I have hated.

Berordn

Pretty much.

The reviewers they've been using for the past few years seem to have the same tastes as me - games they like I have liked, games they dislike that I have made the mistake of buying I have hated.

Have you played any other Kingdom Hearts games? If you did, what did you think of it?

weredog

Neo Member
The Metro gave it what?!?! My copy arrived yesterday. I've never played a KH game before but, so far, I'm really, really impressed with what they've done here on the 3DS. The graphics are easily some of the best on the system and the customisation levels seem really quite impressive. The RPG elements are all present and correct and the level design appears to be quite fluid. The Camera has some little bug bears atm though, and I agree it's perhaps a tad too close to Sora, but it's still workable and looks where you want it to for the most part. I'm using the CPP however I'm not sure it really adds much to it. Sure, you can control the camera however the battles require you to press so many buttons that you don't really have the time (or digits spare) to be able to control it and fight too.

Also, it's a gimmick sure, but the AR functions are pretty fun too.

As a new gamer to KH I've been really impressed so far. Hopefully the game can sustain the first hour of gameplay quality throughout.

Berordn

Only the first PS2 one, a long time ago. It didn't make much of an impression on me one way or the other to be honest.

Hard to say anything in relation to 3D then, the series has evolved pretty radically since then. It's similar to Birth By Sleep, if you have any way of playing that to try it out.

Nemesis_

I really want to try and finish Birth By Sleep, but for some reason it's not available digitally at all.

I only have a Vita, so means I can't get it I guess.

Hard to say anything in relation to 3D then, the series has evolved pretty radically since then. It's similar to Birth By Sleep, if you have any way of playing that to try it out.

I'll do that. Pretty sure I have that somewhere(my backlog is three figures deep these days...).

I've been looking for a new 3ds a game to play, and have done quite a bit of reading into this , and just can't get excited. It seems this series has gone on for too long IMO.

Not sure if I'm going to get this or not after just purchasing Heroes of Ruin. The collectors edition looks promising, but I'd only want the case.

Seda

I've been looking for a new 3ds a game to play, and have done quite a bit of reading into this , and just can't get excited. It seems this series has gone on for too long IMO.

Kindgom Hearts has such a high barrier of entry for people new to the series. Needs a reboot after KH3 or something.

Top Bottom