• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Psxphile

Come now. A lot of KH3 will be hashing out the details of this.
Cue disappointment went it's swept under the rug. Young Xehanort won't be a part of KH3, having fulfilled his role... so why would they need to reference time-travel again? That was 3D's job.

(It had one job.)

Repliku's not a "people".
das rascist

Also reminds me of that other Riku in the cloak that appeared in 3D.

Actually DiZ doesn't think so.
That lying piece of shit. I'll fight him.

Malyse

Cue disappointment went it's swept under the rug. Young Xehanort won't be a part of KH3, having fulfilled his role... so why would they need to reference time-travel again? That was 3D's job.

(It had one job.)

It might not be the end of YX. Who knows? I personally expect a run down of every villain to date. Though I'm hoping that both Xehanort accomplishes his goal as the Foreteller's Script predicts, reshapes the world, is defeated and in his defeat somehow tosses Sora into the past, lost to the ravages of time for the next three games.

das rascist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vyfc10qDcR4

I highly preferred KH1 and 2's battle system to that of DDD, so we'll see if BBS will finally make me change my mind about the command deck
BBS's implementation of it is a lot better, partly because of the way it interplays with Command Style.

TBH, I found the combat in KH1 and 2 to be lazy, 2 in particular.

Step 1: get them in the air.
Step 2: Win.

Outside of the limit cuts and LS, I didn't change tactics at all. It was very much × to win until you Δ. BBS and 3D required a lot more planning IMO.

I think BBS and KH2FM probably have the best combat in the series. The thing I *do* find that KH1/2 do better than BBS/DDD, outside of KH2FM's broader set of defensive options (not just block/dodge/cure, but also transform/limit form's offensive healing) is a greater emphasis on hitstun (which isn't really something that BBS/DDD factor into their moves very well). But these are issues that are easily resolved.

I think KH3 has good odds of being a best-of-all-worlds sort of thing if it's handled well.

KH1/2 have generally-better defensive gameplay than BBS/DDD (but BBS/DDD's defensive *customization*, with some of the character-specific special block/dodge moves, is more interesting).

BBS/DDD have generally-better offensive gameplay *and* generally-better offensive customization (though some of KH2's stuff like Finishing Plus or Combo Minus is really really cool and BBS/DDD don't really have anything equivalent).

b687e0a17d6a6e84eed1e6e941aaf6c843a92895.gif

C'mon that's the same as saying Sora and Riku are gay.
roxas x axel is cannon ok
:'(

(It had one job.)

I think Young Xehanort is actually absolutely necessary, because he's a member of the second/"true" (lol) Organization XIII and he's the one responsible for bringing the other members through time again in order to gather them all the next time they all meet (if I recall correctly). That doesn't mean he's going to be the main villain again, though, but he'll be a presence.

Psxphile

I think Young Xehanort is actually absolutely necessary, because he's a member of the second/"true" (lol) Organization XIII and he's the one responsible for bringing the other members through time again in order to gather them all the next time they all meet (if I recall correctly). That doesn't mean he's going to be the main villain again, though, but he'll be a presence.

Technically he'll already be a presence... as an old man.

I don't know... it's already bad enough that there will be multiple copies of Xehanort pervading KH3 without adding his past self to the mix. Also I figure that the time-travel business was a one-time deal: once he returned to his own time he forgot all the details, it would be kind of dumb to bring him back just for the sake of a boss fight.

Of course, Nomura could just have him return in a roundabout way: having MX use some unknown method (hopefully not body-snatching again) to make himself younger. My point of contention is that there's no need for YX when MX is already on the scene, but that would be one way to "bring him back". But then we would be deprived of more Nimoy, and I can't condone that.

As for the other Xehanorts, I'm still not really clear on *why* they needed to meet at that point of time. Did MX need to see with his own eyes that his far-reaching plans were coming to fruition? A show of force? A way to convince the heroes of light that they'll have no choice but to retaliate and thereby granting him his wish to forge the x-blade? In any case, what I took from that scene was that after returning to their own times and then going forward naturally, his other selves would eventually return to his side because of that whole "heart-etching" business (even if some of them were Nobodies at the time).

Really, it's not like they're all from 100+ years in the past. Why would they need to be plucked out of time again when they can just naturally bide their time until they're needed again?

Time travel will be necessary again because it's the only way for Xemnas, Ansem SoD, Master Xehanort, and Terranort to exist in the same place at the same time. And again, Young Xehanort is one of the thirteen darknesses so he'll be back.

Malyse

Technically he'll already be a presence... as an old man.

I don't know... it's already bad enough that there will be multiple copies of Xehanort pervading KH3 without adding his past self to the mix. Also I figure that the time-travel business was a one-time deal: once he returned to his own time he forgot all the details, it would be kind of dumb to bring him back just for the sake of a boss fight.

Of course, Nomura could just have him return in a roundabout way: having MX use some unknown method (hopefully not body-snatching again) to make himself younger. My point of contention is that there's no need for YX when MX is already on the scene, but that would be one way to "bring him back". But then we would be deprived of more Nimoy, and I can't condone that.

Too late. Nimoy almost certainly isn't coming back

Malyse

Just because that happened doesn't mean he'll be gone.
He can still voice act.

Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease is a very serious disease and would almost certainly preclude his participation in voice acting projects. Specifically since he'll have shortness of breath and a persistent cough and will likely be needing to be hooked up to oxygen at some point. You essentially posted the equivalent of saying that just because someone had both arms broken doesn't mean that they won't be able to play in the next baseball game.

Mecha

TBH, I found the combat in KH1 and 2 to be lazy, 2 in particular.

Step 1: get them in the air.
Step 2: Win.

Outside of the limit cuts and LS, I didn't change tactics at all. It was very much × to win until you Δ. BBS and 3D required a lot more planning IMO.

I enjoy KH2's battle system the most, but you need to play on critical/EXP Zero to get the most out of it.

Mecha

I have. I literally play all the games in release order annually. I stand by my statement.

Then you must die a whole lot when you do EXP Zero runs if you use the same tactic for every battle.

BBS had a fun battle system, but it was too slow and the long hitstun was an annoying design flaw. 3D fixed some of the issues, but it doesn't feel as good as KH2.

Psxphile

Time travel will be necessary again because it's the only way for Xemnas, Ansem SoD, Master Xehanort, and Terranort to exist in the same place at the same time. And again, Young Xehanort is one of the thirteen darknesses so he'll be back.

*sigh* This really bugs the hell out of me. Fucking time travel.

So when Sora and Co. beat the shit out AnsemSoD, Xemnas and Terranort a second time, they'll just disappear back to their own time so that they can be beat for the first time? Is Toriyama going to be writing for this, because I'm getting worried we're going to have another The 3rd Birthday situation.

*sigh* This really bugs the hell out of me. Fucking time travel.

So when Sora and Co. beat the shit out AnsemSoD, Xemnas and Terranort a second time, they'll just disappear back to their own time so that they can be beat for the first time? Is Toriyama going to be writing for this, because I'm getting worried we're going to have another The 3rd Birthday situation.

It's not 100% clear yet who the "current-day" Xehanort who returned after Ansem SoD and Xemnas were destroyed is. Presumably it's Terranort again, but I could see them distinguishing between past-Terranort and present-Terranort. Because reasons.

Malyse

(I think it's also not entirely out of the question that the new Org XIII will contain Isa, Saix, Braig, and Xigbar)

Full disagree. Those pairs are functionally the same and the Nobodies were destroyed in KH2. Also, it would be such a fucking waste to have four slots claimed by two people.

Then you must die a whole lot when you do EXP Zero runs if you use the same tactic for every battle.

You're grossly overstating the depth of KH gameplay. Plus, I'll point out that you're artificially imposing limits to make a game better than it is.

Full disagree. Those pairs are functionally the same and the Nobodies were destroyed in KH2. Also, it would be such a fucking waste to have four slots claimed by two people.

You're grossly overstating the depth of KH gameplay.

Well basically Xehanort alone takes up at least 4! :D

I said this before but having Isa+Saix and Braig+Xigbar is the only way to go without it getting really weird.

Like theres 7 we don't know. 1 is obviously some form of Terra/Terranort, one could be Vanitas and one could be posessed Riku or something but what the heck are the last 5-4? I guess they could be some other returning org members but I don't think it includes any of the other original 6 apprentices we already see in DDD (well I do think Even is a little suspicious since he was one of the more important members for Xemnas) so that would leave Marluxia, Larxene (not likely since they were betrayers) Demyx (nope) Luxord (maybe? at least he fits with the time travelling nonsense).

I think it is a bit silly to have both Young Xehanort and MX be members since they are basically the exact same person so it just makes you wonder why they don't grab 12 Xehanorts when he was at his prime.

Also I agree with badcrumble that I am not entirely convinced MX is the true current Xehanort. Terranort would make much more sense but who knows.

Nobodies were destroyed in KH2
So was Xemnas. Also I'm not even sure if the ones we see in DDD are humans or Nobodys. They look exactly like they did in KH2.

This is why Nomura and Square as a whole should hurry up!

The clock is ticking for our VAs. They are getting older and some might expire within the next two years xD

Xemnas =! Ansem SOD =! AX =! MX. But Braig = Xigbar = Xigbar 3D.

Nobodies age as anyone else. So it is normal for Braig to look like Xigbar as Ienzo to look like Zexion because nobodies age.

Though Xemnas and Roxas are special cases. Namine too. But all three of those nobodies had their somebodies existing and aging

Malyse

Nobodies age as anyone else. So it is normal for Braig to look like Xigbar as Ienzo to look like Zexion because nobodies age.

Though Xemnas and Roxas are special cases. Namine too. But all three of those nobodies had their somebodies existing and aging

That literally has nothing to do with the conversation at hand.

Caladrius

Will the remaining 6 members of Borganization XIII turn out to be satellite characters is my question.

Poor Luxord. ;__;

You're grossly overstating the depth of KH gameplay. Plus, I'll point out that you're artificially imposing limits to make a game better than it is.

I wouldn't call an option that the game gives you from the get-go and that introduces no element of luck an artificial difficulty imposition. The fact that the developers went out of their way to put a feature that facilitates such a challenge indicates that they knew low level and no-hit runs were possible and saw fit to make them readily available without locking the player into a difficulty option (should they give up and still want to continue playing the game on vanilla critical).

I agree that it's unlikely and that it'd be a big disappointing waste, but it's still a possibility (moreso for young Braig than for newly-restored Braig, perhaps).

Correct me if I'm wrong, though, but wasn't there a scene at the beginning of DDD showing the restored former Nobodies waking up in Ansem's lab and (from Terranort's perspective) showing Terranort forming his Keyblade and removing Braig's heart again? That pretty heavily implies that the character we see at the end of DDD is Xigbar, not Braig. As likely as not the same thing was done to Isa moments later.

If that's the case, we're unlikely to see their restored post-KH2 full-person selves in the Organization, but the odds exist that young-but-possessed Braig in his BBS character design could appear.

Remind me: was it implied in DDD that all of the second Org XIII would be wielding keyblades by the time of KH3? I can't recall whether the thirteen darknesses need to be wielding Keyblades or not (the seven lights sorta-do and sorta-don't, I guess, based on MX's backup plan to pursue the princesses of heart).

For reasons of sheer consistency with the series mythology so far I'm unsure as to whether it's possible to have Ansem SoD or Xemnas/Xigbar/Saix wielding keyblades, but I'd enjoy seeing Xigbar's and Saix's weapons redesigned with a Keyblade aesthetic. (I'm sure fans have done that already but I refuse to enter the cesspit that is deviantart/tumblr fandom).

Malyse

Correct me if I'm wrong, though, but wasn't there a scene at the beginning of DDD showing the restored former Nobodies waking up in Ansem's lab and (from Terranort's perspective) showing Terranort forming his Keyblade and removing Braig's heart again? That pretty heavily implies that the character we see at the end of DDD is Xigbar, not Braig. As likely as not the same thing was done to Isa moments later.

That was a flashback. The other two characters are Evan and Ienzo, who we seen recompleted in 3D later on. Also, the next scene was Sora and Riku on Destiny Islands. Furthermore, don't conflate the recusant sigil in the name to be a sign of being a nobody. It's a mark of Xehanort's influence over a character. Xigbar calls himself Xigbar instead of Braig not because he's a nobody, but because he's "already half Xehanort". Isa or Saïx is yet to be determined, as we don't know how my his heart have been encroached on.

Remind me: was it implied in DDD that all of the second Org XIII would be wielding keyblades by the time of KH3? I can't recall whether the thirteen darknesses need to be wielding Keyblades or not (the seven lights sorta-do and sorta-don't, I guess, based on MX's backup plan to pursue the princesses of heart).

For reasons of sheer consistency with the series mythology so far I'm unsure as to whether it's possible to have Ansem SoD or Xemnas/Xigbar/Saix wielding keyblades, but I'd enjoy seeing Xigbar's and Saix's weapons redesigned with a Keyblade aesthetic. (I'm sure fans have done that already but I refuse to enter the cesspit that is deviantart/tumblr fandom).

I have a pet theory that all of OrgXIII are capable of wielding keyblades, due to having strong enough will to retain their human form as nobodies. That being said, it's not implied that the 13 darknesses nor the seven lights will be keyblade wielders. Also, it's probably that Xemnas could wield a keyblade but chose not to. Nomura has said as much.

Roxas, the "Sora + Ventus" Nobody, was able to use a Keyblade. In contrast Xemnas, the "Terra + Master Xehanort" Nobody, wasn't able to use a Keyblade. Why is this?

Nomura: I'd rather that point remain a mystery. It's possible that he intentionally wasn't using one.

Also, don't be rude.

Xigbar
keyblade__sniper_s_promise_by_phoenixtrooper-d5udeis.jpg

Xion
keyblade__fateful_memory_by_phoenixtrooper-d4dm9vb.jpg

Xemnas
Keyblade__Touch_of_the_Void_by_PhoenixTrooper.jpg

Psxphile

Correct me if I'm wrong, though, but wasn't there a scene at the beginning of DDD showing the restored former Nobodies waking up in Ansem's lab and (from Terranort's perspective) showing Terranort forming his Keyblade and removing Braig's heart again?
Def a flashback during the experiment that caused Terranort's memories to resurface, but I'd never considered that it could be taking place after KH2 even though it's the same room we see Lea and the others wake up in. Bit of a dick move then, to turn Braig into Xigbar again after having just been recombobulated. Def a flashback, though.

I wonder why Braig/Xigbar continues to follow Xehanort even though he was forced to become a Nobody, and seemingly against his will?

That pretty heavily implies that the character we see at the end of DDD is Xigbar, not Braig.
The track that plays when he appears is called 'Xigbar.'

No implication necessary.

don't be rude
He's not wrong.

I wonder why Braig/Xigbar continues to follow Xehanort even though he was forced to become a Nobody, and seemingly against his will?

It's heavily implied in BBS his goal is to get a keyblade. Thus I can only imagine that he wants it bad enough to be basically part of any crazy schemes MX comes up with (wether it is voluntarily or partly involuntarily).

I doubt becoming a nobody was a huge deal for him at that point when he already was quite involved with Xehanorts plans, being a ''half Xehanort'' and all.

Makes you wonder if he even has a real reason behind his actions or if he is just after power.

Malyse

Def a flashback during the experiment that caused Terranort's memories to resurface, but I'd never considered that it could be taking place after KH2 even though it's the same room we see Lea and the others wake up in. Bit of a dick move then, to turn Braig into Xigbar again after having just been recombobulated. Def a flashback, though.

The track that plays when he appears is called 'Xigbar.'

No implication necessary.

It's heavily implied in BBS his goal is to get a keyblade. Thus I can only imagine that he wants it bad enough to be basically part of any crazy schemes MX comes up with (wether it is voluntarily or partly involuntarily).

I doubt becoming a nobody was a huge deal for him at that point when he already was quite involved with Xehanorts plans, being a ''half Xehanort'' and all.

Makes you wonder if he even has a real reason behind his actions or if he is just after power.

Again, calling himself Xigbar is not an indication of being a nobody.

He's not wrong.

Not mutually exclusive, also a matter of opinion, a gross generalization and massively dismissive of both sites. Or are you somehow of the ignorant impression that only amateurs are on DeviantArt and Tumblr?

Furthermore, don't conflate the recusant sigil in the name to be a sign of being a nobody. It's a mark of Xehanort's influence over a character. Xigbar calls himself Xigbar instead of Braig not because he's a nobody, but because he's "already half Xehanort". Isa or Saïx is yet to be determined, as we don't know how my his heart have been encroached on.
That is a really, really good point. Yeah.

Malyse

That is a really, really good point. Yeah.

The same holds true for Roxas when he returns, which is why they probably shouldn't revive him until after Xehanort is dealt with. In fact, that can be the impetus for KH4: Sora going on a trip to figure out a way to free all the entities trapped in his heart. And Kairi can come with to save Roxas's girlfriend.

The same holds true for Roxas when he returns, which is why they probably shouldn't revive him until after Xehanort is dealt with. In fact, that can be the impetus for KH4: Sora going on a trip to figure out a way to free all the entities trapped in his heart. And Kairi can come with to save Roxas's girlfriend.
Maybe. I feel like unlocking the way to the "true Kingdom Hearts" or "perfect Kingdom Hearts" or whatever it is (can't recall) with the Chi-blade is supposed to basically let someone hit the reset version on the universe and become as powerful as a god (according to what I can remember of MX's notes) so I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see an ending in which Sora can basically give them all a full existence.

I'll be curious to see if Lea gets a character redesign to take away his black coat in KH3 (possibly one that takes after his young appearance in Birth By Sleep). I wouldn't be surprised - he likely won't need to be travelling through dark corridors anymore, the black coat has generally signified Organization membership (or an attempt to use a disguise, as per Riku's costuming in 358/2 Days and KH2).

Malyse

I'll be curious to see if Lea gets a character redesign to take away his black coat in KH3 (possibly one that takes after his young appearance in Birth By Sleep). I wouldn't be surprised - he likely won't need to be travelling through dark corridors anymore, the black coat has generally signified Organization membership (or an attempt to use a disguise, as per Riku's costuming in 358/2 Days and KH2).

Actually, the black coat is used to protect the heart from corruption in the Corridors of Darkness. The main reason OrgXIII wore them was to help Xemnas perpetuate the concept that Nobodies had no hearts. This is also why they weren't to interact with people during their missions: creating connections with people speeds the growth of new hearts and would make them less suitable vessels for Xehanort. It has nothing to do with the Organization beyond that, and they were well aware of the fact that Mickey and Riku weren't among their ranks. It was never a disguise, only protection.

Psxphile

He probably has a method to his madness. He endeared himself to Ansem the Wise, and as soon as someone more compelling than he appeared on their world, he secretly joined up with him. I sincerely hope this gets addressed in KH3.

Not mutually exclusive, also a matter of opinion, a gross generalization and massively dismissive of both sites. Or are you somehow of the ignorant impression that only amateurs are on DeviantArt and Tumblr?
31XkvxL.jpg

I'm not sure where you got the idea that I was condemning the websites.

Actually, the black coat is used to protect the heart from corruption in the Corridors of Darkness. The main reason OrgXIII wore them was to help Xemnas perpetuate the concept that Nobodies had no hearts.
This seems contradictory.

Malyse

This seems contradictory.

Nobodies can grow new hearts; we learn this in 3D. Xemnas's goal wasn't to get new hearts for OrgXIII, but to cultivate receptacles for MX's heart. But he kept the members ignorant of this and, to keep them unified under his rule, told them they had no hearts and that the organization's goal was to reclaim said hearts. The black coat protected the members from the corrupting influence of darkness as well as keeping them hidden from the heartless, who would have found the budding new hearts of the nobodies a proverbial free lunch.

Actually, the black coat is used to protect the heart from corruption in the Corridors of Darkness. The main reason OrgXIII wore them was to help Xemnas perpetuate the concept that Nobodies had no hearts. This is also why they weren't to interact with people during their missions: creating connections with people speeds the growth of new hearts and would make them less suitable vessels for Xehanort. It has nothing to do with the Organization beyond that, and they were well aware of the fact that Mickey and Riku weren't among their ranks. It was never a disguise, only protection.

Ah, yeah, that's a better way to put it (though it feels like some of it's a bit theorizing-heavy, e.g. if Xehanort no longer needs to keep up that illusion they lose much of the justification for the second Org XIII to be wearing them).

Malyse

Ah, yeah, that's a better way to put it (though it feels like some of it's a bit theorizing-heavy, e.g. if Xehanort no longer needs to keep up that illusion they lose much of the justification for the second Org XIII to be wearing them).

Not really. He still wouldn't want to have to be constantly dealing with attacks from the Heartless.

Not really. He still wouldn't want to have to be constantly dealing with attacks from the Heartless.
Is it pretty definitively established that using the dark corridor is different from moving through the World of Darkness? Because multiple folks have been seen pretty much just chilling there.

Malyse

Is it pretty definitively established that using the dark corridor is different from moving through the World of Darkness? Because multiple folks have been seen pretty much just chilling there.

Not to derail, but I'm more curious as to what happens when you don't have protection and I just figured it out when I was typing this. Players are dying in [chi] and we are using the Corridors to move about. It's killing us slowly.

Back to the question, yes. One is being alone in a scary cabin in the woods, the other is a dark scary country road. Plus Aqua spent ten years there without south as aging.

I'm curious to see what a new Lea character design will look like, then. His extremely skinny arms have gotten a lot of emphasis previously, as has the general bright-red color scheme.

Top Bottom