• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Nomura
neku.png

Skinny
MSL-Musashi.jpg

Arms
DDD_Sora.png
Oh totally, but Lea is if anything even more so. The skinny arms and waist are basically what define him against the rest of the Organization as far as body-type is concerned (especially when he's hooded, though he's very rarely so - but Nomura made sure to give each one a reasonably distinct body type in addition to a distinct weapon and face/hair).

Psxphile

yU2lgNc.jpg

Four hours in the meeting room and the only thing they could agree on is that having the two of them hold hands would be taking things too fast.

Psxphile

It's an edited version of this (or maybe this... I'm not sure which came first). The implication is that sometimes the game-makers themselves aren't sure how best to move a series forward.

I admit that came across poorly in my attempt to address something from the last page.

ZenaxPure

Do people really feel like the Osaka team works slowly?

I've actually always wondered exactly what it is the Osaka team even does. Do the story writer(s?) even work there? Always wondered if it was more of a grunt work kind of thing and the main ideas/concepts come from outside the studio, or are they mostly in control of the gameplay?

Malyse

I called it back in October but if you want to do it I dont mind.

If [chi] become English, its OT is mine. I think it's valid to add "for good reason."

-----

Thus far we've played as Sora, Riku, Roxas, Terra, Aqua, Ventus, and briefly as Mickey. Who else would you like to play as? And I'm referring to "carry the majority of the game on their shoulders" in opposed to "have save your ass when you get wiped"? Obvs, I want a Kairi game, especially if she's the WMD that I pray she is in KH3. Outside of that, I would love a game where you play as Young Xehanort and experience his fall into darkness. I would be thrilled to control an out and out villain, particularly if Xehanort is actually playing the Lordgenome role.

Levyne

Banned
I guess Keyblade wielding Axel/Lea could be an obvious choice.

To try to pick something more unique, a game where you could play as Donald or Goofy (multiplayer?) could be neat. I know it seems weird, but just trying to pick something other than [other person with keyblade].

If [chi] become English, its OT is mine. I think it's valid to add "for good reason."

-----

Thus far we've played as Sora, Riku, Roxas, Terra, Aqua, Ventus, and briefly as Mickey. Who else would you like to play as? And I'm referring to "carry the majority of the game on their shoulders" in opposed to "have save your ass when you get wiped"? Obvs, I want a Kairi game, especially if she's the WMD that I pray she is in KH3. Outside of that, I would love a game where you play as Young Xehanort and experience his fall into darkness. I would be thrilled to control an out and out villain, particularly if Xehanort is actually playing the Lordgenome role.

I also want to head off anyone's suggestions that we've played as the rest of the Organization (thanks to the optional stuff in 358/2 Days) in any substantial manner - we haven't really, and I'd love a game that'd do that because they've generally got pretty distinctive fighting styles.

But yeah, to answer your question. I think Kairi would be fun to play as (though I want to see what her actual stance and combat style is like in KH3 first), and I agree that her dual status as a Princess of Heart/Keyblade Wielder will be a big big deal in KH3.

Young Xehanort would be a blast too - because he basically returned to the exact same moment with no memory of his time travel, IIRC, he should have next to no memory of any of the events of DDD (except for Ansem SoD planting the desire to leave the Destiny Islands in his heart just like he did for Riku, I suppose). So you wouldn't need to play through his time-travel side of things. It's not totally clear when he gets a Keyblade, of course, but yeah, that'd be an interesting enough story. I currently think the most likely intro segment to KH3 will be playing as Kairi in a training segment, but I think that *absolutely* the second most likely introduction to the game would be one in which you play as young Xehanort on the Destiny Islands.

Along similar lines, I wouldn't mind playing as Master Eraqus, I think. I could *maybe* see a dual-stories game happening with the two of them as protagonists.

(I don't understand the "lordgenome" reference, btw - sorry)
I guess Keyblade wielding Axel/Lea could be an obvious choice.

To try to pick something more unique, a game where you could play as Donald or Goofy (multiplayer?) could be neat. I know it seems weird, but just trying to pick something other than [other person with keyblade].
Lea would be a blast but I worry that his heavily single-elemental theme would make him a tad one-note. Like Kairi, kinda have to wait and see how they work him out in KH3.

Malyse

I also want to head off anyone's suggestions that we've played as the rest of the Organization (thanks to the optional stuff in 358/2 Days) in any substantial manner - we haven't really, and I'd love a game that'd do that because they've generally got pretty distinctive fighting styles.

But yeah, to answer your question. I think Kairi would be fun to play as (though I want to see what her actual stance and combat style is like in KH3 first), and I agree that her dual status as a Princess of Heart/Keyblade Wielder will be a big big deal in KH3.

Young Xehanort would be a blast too - because he basically returned to the exact same moment with no memory of his time travel, IIRC, he should have next to no memory of any of the events of DDD (except for Ansem SoD planting the desire to leave the Destiny Islands in his heart just like he did for Riku, I suppose). So you wouldn't need to play through his time-travel side of things. It's not totally clear when he gets a Keyblade, of course, but yeah, that'd be an interesting enough story. I currently think the most likely intro segment to KH3 will be playing as Kairi in a training segment, but I think that *absolutely* the second most likely introduction to the game would be one in which you play as young Xehanort on the Destiny Islands.

Along similar lines, I wouldn't mind playing as Master Eraqus, I think. I could *maybe* see a dual-stories game happening with the two of them as protagonists.

Lea would be a blast but I worry that his heavily single-elemental theme would make him a tad one-note. Like Kairi, kinda have to wait and see how they work him out in KH3.

You don't watch enough good anime.

Psxphile

Gee, that's helpful.

"Lord Genome" is a character in the anime Tenga Toppa Gurren Lagaan. His reference is (probably) in regards to his role on the show, the Anti-Villain. Though we don't know it at the time,
after his death at the hands of the hero an even worse enemy rears its head. Turns out, the anti-villain had been trying to keep that from happening all along through rather cruel means.

sasuke_91

Okay, I don't understand a thing in KH DDD. It's confusing. When does all this happen? Is it the past? What is Axel doing all the time? I can't even arrange my thoughts because I'm not sure what the hell is happening ô.ô
I haven't played BBS, but I don't think things will get any better by playing that game... Am I dumb or is it really that confusing? Maybe I should finish the game first before asking questions... I'm currently at the Town of Musketeers.

Malyse

Okay, I don't understand a thing in KH DDD. It's confusing. When does all this happen? Is it the past? What is Axel doing all the time? I can't even arrange my thoughts because I'm not sure what the hell is happening ô.ô
I haven't played BBS, but I don't think things will get any better by playing that game... Am I dumb or is it really that confusing? Maybe I should finish the game first before asking questions... I'm currently at the Town of Musketeers.

A. Should have played BBS first.
B. finish and we'll talk.
C. It's in the present.

We got a release period for Project Diva F 2nd Vita western release before 2.5.

SE, sthap.

Well, to be fair they just released FFXHD. But goddamnit, throw me a bone here! Gief a sneak peek at the new music or something. It's friggin April in a few days!

Yeah now that FFX HD is out (and Thief, and Lightning Returns), I think Square-Enix doesn't really have anything big announced for the rest of 2014 (apart from the vague 2014 release date for KH 2.5).

Make an event, Squeenix. Or just bring in some press to show them how it's going. Or release some media to Famitsu. DO IT. I don't want to wait for E3 to hear about how the newest playable build is going.

Yeah now that FFX HD is out (and Thief, and Lightning Returns), I think Square-Enix doesn't really have anything big announced for the rest of 2014 (apart from the vague 2014 release date for KH 2.5).

Make an event, Squeenix. Or just bring in some press to show them how it's going. Or release some media to Famitsu. DO IT. I don't want to wait for E3 to hear about how the newest playable build is going.
Dude it's time to start the hype machine for Soul Suspect!!!11

And soon we have a new Hitman and Deus Ex, there ain't room for dat 2.5.

Do hope that the next time we hear about it they can tell us about how it's going to handle the Mirage Arena in BBSFM. Stuff like the group heals and confetti moves don't make any sense without ad-hoc multiplayer but they're really unlikely to set up online multiplayer servers for it, so... what do they do?
Dude it's time to start the hype machine for Soul Suspect!!!11

And soon we have a new Hitman and Deus Ex, there ain't room for dat 2.5.
Hitman and Deus Ex are totally happening but they haven't been announced yet. I could see an April event that involves a bunch of trailers.

Malyse

So I was thinking about Kingdom Hearts as I am often wont to do and I realized that in every KH title with mostly new Disney worlds (KH, KH2, BBS, and 3D), a new enemy type is introduced as well (Heartless, Nobody, Unversed, and Nightmare respectively). This raises the question of whether there will be a new enemy to face in KH3. Now if there was, I would think it to be something that makes direct use of or ties into Master Xehanort and the Thirteen Darknesses*, but as I've stated before, I believe KH3 precipitously close to collapsing under the convoluted weight of its own plot and adding a new enemy type would likely not help things. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the subject.

*Totally sounds like a band name

aravuus

A band I would never ever listen to

e: i hope they won't be introducing a new enemy type this time around, the ones we've got are more than enough

So I was thinking about Kingdom Hearts as I am often wont to do and I realized that in every KH title with mostly new Disney worlds (KH, KH2, BBS, and 3D), a new enemy type is introduced as well (Heartless, Nobody, Unversed, and Nightmare respectively). This raises the question of whether there will be a new enemy to face in KH3. Now if there was, I would think it to be something that makes direct use of or ties into Master Xehanort and the Thirteen Darknesses*, but as I've stated before, I believe KH3 precipitously close to collapsing under the convoluted weight of its own plot and adding a new enemy type would likely not help things. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the subject.

*Totally sounds like a band name

I think it's pretty likely that that will happen in KH3, yeah. I think Nomura makes it a point of introducing something like that. (Isn't Master Xehanort already one of the thirteen darknesses though? :p)

I think that at least between KH2 and BBS there was also some sort of effort at making them all animate pretty differently (all of the Nobodies move in extremely surreal smooth waring movements, all of the Unversed move in weird not-at-all-smooth jerky movements), as well as having names contradictory to what they are (the Heartless are hearts, the Nobodies are discarded bodies, and the Unversed [likely originally "unbirthed" or "unbirths" until someone Googled the term and saw lots of horrific erotic furry art] are born specifically of Vanitas' extreme dark fecundity). All of that seemingly got discarded with DDD, though, with the Nightmares - but I suspect that that's because gameplay concerns from on high regarding the need for monster-collection stuff in the game overrode aesthetic consistency with regard to the unique-animation-style and the naming stuff.

botty

Banned
Nah, I am more inclined to believe the Heartless will take center stage again for KH3. However, it will be a focus on pureblood heartless and we will encounter bad ass things like the Red-Eyes Black Dragon that Master Aqua fought in BBS on the regular. This isn't to say the Nobodies won't make a return, too. :yawn:

Psxphile

Mega-Heartless. :p

Okay: Kingdom Hearts 3. What Square-Enix cross-over cameos NEED to happen? Any misgivings about cameos that already exist or wish were done better? And am I wrong if I suggest that we don't really need another Cloud/Sephiroth focus intertwined into the general narrative?

Okay: Kingdom Hearts 3. What Square-Enix cross-over cameos NEED to happen? Any misgivings about cameos that already exist or wish were done better? And am I wrong if I suggest that we don't really need another Cloud/Sephiroth focus intertwined into the general narrative?
Destiny Islands get invaded once again, Tidus and friends in danger! Team up with Jecht to kick some heartless butt.

Cloud/Sephiroth is reasonably likely because it's KH tradition at this point, but the Compilation of FF7 is dead as a doornail so there's less incentive to make it a big focus.

I think Noctis/Stella are reasonably likely to appear, given that the other KH team is working on them and they're likely on Nomura's mind a lot (and it's good cross-marketing).
Nah, I am more inclined to believe the Heartless will take center stage again for KH3. However, it will be a focus on pureblood heartless and we will encounter bad ass things like the Red-Eyes Black Dragon that Master Aqua fought in BBS on the regular. This isn't to say the Nobodies won't make a return, too. :yawn:
Yeah, I think an increase in pureblood Heartless sounds like a reasonably likely scenario.

I wouldn't mind getting to fight Twilight Thorn and Darkside simultaneously.

Malyse

Darkness​

Xehanort is a force of darkness, but that doesn't make him evil. Darkness is not a force of evil but rather of chaos. It follows no order or rules and like fire, wants to expand. If handled leniently it consumes you, but if handled with force can become a dangerous and powerful weapon that can be used for good or evil. Riku basically confirms this interpretation.

Light​

Light, on the other hand, is order. Order, by most people, is seen as a good things while chaos is often completely shunned. However, too much of either is a bad thing. Though his methods are questionable at best, Xehanort isn't necessarily wrong in seeking to restore the balance and opposing the tyranny of light. Light isn't necessarily an inherent force for good. Remember back to Birth by Sleep: Master Eraqus, a guardian of Light, attempted to execute Ventus and then Terra with said Light, the latter of which who had to tap into darkness to stop him.

Now that we've established all that, let's talk about Xehanort's ambitions. Specifically, I would like to present the idea that Xehanort, though extremist and a sociopath, is not a villain, but only taking a Machiavellian approach of ends justifying means. What ends? An encroaching threat that comes from the power of Light. What if Xehanort is taking the role of Lordgenome? Could his actions have all been a misguided attempt to protect the worlds from a bigger threat, possibly something tying back to the Foretellers and the Keyblade War? And by defeating Xehanort, Sora unwittingly allows a much greater evil to come into place, which would tie well into the concept of playing into someone's else plans, a trope with which Kingdom Hearts is absolutely enamored.

But wait! This is a Disney game and they would never go from something like that!

Not so, friend. First off, Disney movies can be scary as shit. Second, even in recent years (AKA 2013) they've been subversive about nobility and heroes. Specifically, think about the shocking swerve Hans took in the third act of Frozen. And let's not forget that this happens in KH2.

Xehanort hasn't really done a lot of out and out evil deeds. He's very curious and a seeker of knowledge, and yes, his pieces (Ansem SOD and Xemnas) are capable of massive scale devastation when left unchecked, but on the whole we really don't know *what* he wants. Yes, Kingdom Hearts and the χblade, but what's his end goal?

zeemumu

Darkness​

Xehanort is a force of darkness, but that doesn't make him evil. Darkness is not a force of evil but rather of chaos. It follows no order or rules and like fire, wants to expand. If handled leniently it consumes you, but if handled with force can become a dangerous and powerful weapon that can be used for good or evil. Riku basically confirms this interpretation.

Light​

Light, on the other hand, is order. Order, by most people, is seen as a good things while chaos is often completely shunned. However, too much of either is a bad thing. Though his methods are questionable at best, Xehanort isn't necessarily wrong in seeking to restore the balance and opposing the tyranny of light. Light isn't necessarily an inherent force for good. Remember back to Birth by Sleep: Master Eraqus, a guardian of Light, attempted to execute Ventus and then Terra with said Light, the latter of which who had to tap into darkness to stop him.

Now that we've established all that, let's talk about Xehanort's ambitions. Specifically, I would like to present the idea that Xehanort, though extremist and a sociopath, is not a villain, but only taking a Machiavellian approach of ends justifying means. What ends? An encroaching threat that comes from the power of Light. What if Xehanort is taking the role of Lordgenome? Could his actions have all been a misguided attempt to protect the worlds from a bigger threat, possibly something tying back to the Foretellers and the Keyblade War? And by defeating Xehanort, Sora unwittingly allows a much greater evil to come into place, which would tie well into the concept of playing into someone's else plans, a trope with which Kingdom Hearts is absolutely enamored.

But wait! This is a Disney game and they would never go from something like that!

Not so, friend. First off, Disney movies can be scary as shit. Second, even in recent years (AKA 2013) they've been subversive about nobility and heroes. Specifically, think about the shocking swerve Hans took in the third act of Frozen. And let's not forget that this happens in KH2.

Xehanort hasn't really done a lot of out and out evil deeds. He's very curious and a seeker of knowledge, and yes, his pieces (Ansem SOD and Xemnas) are capable of massive scale devastation when left unchecked, but on the whole we really don't know *what* he wants. Yes, Kingdom Hearts and the χblade, but what's his end goal?

I assumed that Xehanort was just working towards making the X-blade because he wanted the knowledge to comprehend the power of light and dark, but his means of acquiring it were screwed up. He's gone insane with trying to acquire knowledge, which seems to be affecting a lot of the people in the KH universe. The balance between light and dark has to be kept because one can't exist without the other, but where that balance should be is what the main argument is. The main characters believe that it should remain the way that it already is, while Xehanort wants to redesign the balance to favor darkness slightly more. The difference between light and dark is that one can have light in their heart without being consumed by it (Eraqus wasn't consumed, he was acting through logic and even though he didn't want to, he thought it was the only way to stop Xehanort). Darkness can be used for good as Terra and Riku have shown, but if you aren't strong enough, it will consume you. This is true of the realm of light where the main characters all live, so the reverse is probably true for beings in the realm of darkness. The primary alignment depends on which realm you belong to.

Xehanort has already spelled out his motivations in Birth By Sleep's Xehanort Report.

And when Kingdom Hearts is complete, it is said the one who opens its door will bring about the creation of the Next World. Such a feat is above any human. Or, to put it a different way: whoever opens that door will be reborn as something far greater than human.

As a boy, I dreamed of seeing the farthest reaches of the World. If I only went far enough, there had to be a world out there in which no one had ever before set foot. And now I know of just such a world. If I become the first to open Kingdom Hearts' door, I can create the Next World in which light and darkness exist in perfect equilibrium.

He wants to hit the reset button on the universe, he sees the current one as unbalanced, and perhaps he wants to become a god in his new world.

From what I can tell, his main motivation, if I could sum it up in a single word, would be "dissatisfaction."

But unless they want to directly contradict what's already been said, he's definitely not trying to protect against anything. I'd still enjoy that sort of twist as a pivot into whatever lies past the Xehanort saga, but if he's got other motivations they're not even making it into his own private diary.

Malyse

Who in Kingdom Hearts do you most identify with? Not who's your favorite character, but who is most like you?

It's a little odd, but the character I most identify with in Kingdom Hearts is Master Xehanort. I've an insatiable curiosity, as the topics for discussion I've raised here should attest, and I would very much do anything to alter the status quo. Don't ask why, ask why not and all that.

zeemumu

Who in Kingdom Hearts do you most identify with? Not who's your favorite character, but who is most like you?

It's a little odd, but the character I most identify with in Kingdom Hearts is Master Xehanort. I've an insatiable curiosity, as the topics for discussion I've raised here should attest, and I would very much do anything to alter the status quo. Don't ask why, ask why not and all that.

Roxas.

I know very little about who I am or what I want
I don't talk to very many people outside of my group of friends.
Spending time with my friends is pretty much the only thing that keeps me going
I'm terrified of losing any of my friends
I spent my last summer vacation doing nothing of particular interest
My group of friends consists of 1-2 people at any given time
My memory isn't great
I spend most of my time in a digital world
There's someone else that everyone mentions that I just can't seem to understand

Also Axel/Lea

I ask my friends to memorize things and am easily flattered.

Hmm. I suppose maybe Braig/Xigbar. I'm very much humor-first but occasionally go too far with it. I really enjoy confusing people *and* explaining things to them.

Pete. Cause I'm a bumbling idiot.

Also I'm guessing due to the recent news that 2.5 might release in July.

Top Bottom