• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

RGamer2009

Neo Member
That Kingdom Hearts Frozen Battle Theme was good enough to be legit.

I NEED THIS. Frozen would fit just about perfectly into Kingdom Hearts. Call it the Frozen Wasteland and we are good to go.

BlueNctrn's other compositions are really nice to, like a Pocahontas Overworld and Battle theme and Frollo's Imagined Boss Theme.

I also hope there are older Disney movies like The Great Mouse Detective, The Black Cauldron, and Robin Hood. There is alot of older Disney movies that haven't even been touched upon yet.

zeemumu

So if I've got this understood, the seven lights will be
Sora, Riku, Kairi, Ven, Aqua, Lea, and Mickey
and the 13 darknesses will be the new Organization made up of
Xehanorts (and Braig)
. Is Terranort going to be one of the 13 darknesses? He should have reformed after Xemnas and Ansem died because they weren't made directly from Master Xehanort. They were made from
Xehanort in Terra's body.

Xehanorts (and Braig)
. Is Terranort going to be one of the 13 darknesses? He should have reformed after Xemnas and Ansem died because they weren't made directly from Master Xehanort. They were made from
Seems likely. But given that Sora was supposed to be one of the darknesses, both sides might be scrambling to complete their numbers in KH3.

Malyse

Xehanorts (and Braig)

Seems likely. But given that Sora was supposed to be one of the darknesses, both sides might be scrambling to complete their numbers in KH3.

Do not do not do not conflate kayblade wielders to be the lights or darknesses. We have no idea who the lights are going to be, and Sora is far more likely to be a darkness, since ya know, Xehanort said so. And another hero is lost to Xehanort as well. Most likely Terra, but you never know.

zeemumu

What if waking up Ven brings back Vanitas?

And I've always been curious about this, but did
Axel/Lea
will his keyblade into existence, or could he always do that?

I wouldn't mind taking on the Heartless that were created by the original organization XIII becoming nobodies. I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't a bit curious about what happened to them.

Axel/Lea

I wouldn't mind taking on the Heartless that were created by the original organization XIII becoming nobodies. I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't a bit curious about what happened to them.

Given that Lea and the rest were seemingly reconstituted after the events of KH2, their Heartless were already presumably destroyed.

Do not do not do not conflate kayblade wielders to be the lights or darknesses. We have no idea who the lights are going to be, and Sora is far more likely to be a darkness, since ya know, Xehanort said so. And another hero is lost to Xehanort as well. Most likely Terra, but you never know.

You think? I feel like the ending scenes of DDD made it pretty clear that the seven lights would either be seven light-aligned keyblade wielders or the seven Princesses of Heart.

Also, the Xehanorts have already changed their plans regarding who'll be the thirteenth darkness (remember that they were originally going to go with Riku according to Young Xehanort, and had to change plans and go with Roxas; then they had to change plans again and go with Sora). They're not against changing plans with regard to that stuff.

The thirteen darknesses don't have to be Keyblade wielders, though, I think. Perhaps that'll change in KH3, but as of DDD, at the very least Xigbar, Ansem SoD, Saix and Xemnas were using their old non-Keyblade weapons (counting Ansem SoD's weapon as the Guardian Heartless rather than the double-bladed Soul Eater staff he wields at the end of KH1, of course). Could some of them get new weapons for KH3 like Lea just got a Keyblade styled like his old chakrams? Possibly, but not strictly necessary.

Psxphile

What if? It's practically guaranteed he'll return in some way so that he could part of the 13 Darknesses. The main issue is that he's supposed to be a part of Ven's heart again, but 3D shows that Vanitas's 'spirit' is still 'lingering' and has not completely merged to the point of not existing.

Axel/Lea
He was trained to use one when he was with Yen Sid. Once he was ready, the keyblade came to him. No, I don't believe he had some 'innate' potential to wield one before he became a Nobody. At least, none we know of. Won't stop anyone from speculating, though!

He was trained to use one when he was with Yen Sid. Once he was ready, the keyblade came to him. No, I don't believe he had some 'innate' potential to wield one before he became a Nobody. At least, none we know of. Won't stop anyone from speculating, though!

There's actually a brief line about how Lea is off training with Merlin, I think, but he hasn't been able to get a Keyblade to appear yet (this line occurs before the part in the game where he summons a Keyblade, obviously).

Malyse

What if? It's practically guaranteed he'll return in some way so that he could part of the 13 Darknesses. The main issue is that he's supposed to be a part of Ven's heart again, but 3D shows that Vanitas's 'spirit' is still 'lingering' and has not completely merged to the point of not existing.

Nobodies are born when a Heart is swallowed by darkness and becomes a Heartless. They are the remaining parts left behind by the heart: the body, giving a Nobody form, and the soul, giving the Nobody life. However, only those with a strong will such as Sora are actually able to continue on as Nobodies. Those with the strongest wills manage to retain human forms (under special circumstances, sometimes the Nobody is formed with some slight changes to their appearance), while the rest possess malformed, barely humanoid appearances, such examples as Nobodies like the Creeper and Dusk. Therefore, the more humanoid the Nobody, the stronger its will. The primary stated requirement to wield the keyblade is an exceptionally strong heart. The members of Organization XIII were all defined by their exceptional willpower and the strength of their lost hearts. Xehanort also seemed to focus his attention on a keyblade wielder as his first host, considering first Ven and then turned his focus to Terra. Given that his purpose for Organization XIII was to gather a dozen extra hosts, it makes sense that he would focus on individuals with the makings of a wielder. He originally intended to use Riku, but turned his attention to Sora/Roxas in the end. Lea has gained the ability to wield a keyblade, most likely because of Ven, Roxas, or Xion. It stands to reason if three (technically four, if you count Xemnas) members can wield, perhaps others from that group have the same makings.

You think? I feel like the ending scenes of DDD made it pretty clear that the seven lights would either be seven light-aligned keyblade wielders or the seven Princesses of Heart.

People are misattributing a quote from Mickey. At no point has anyone said that the lights were keyblade wielders.

Mickey said:
Seven guardians of light? Well, for Keyblade wielders, there's me
and Riku and Sora. And my three missing friends, that's six. Then the
seventh would be...

Also, the Xehanorts have already changed their plans regarding who'll be the thirteenth darkness (remember that they were originally going to go with Riku according to Young Xehanort, and had to change plans and go with Roxas; then they had to change plans again and go with Sora). They're not against changing plans with regard to that stuff.

The thirteen darknesses don't have to be Keyblade wielders, though, I think. Perhaps that'll change in KH3, but as of DDD, at the very least Xigbar, Ansem SoD, Saix and Xemnas were using their old non-Keyblade weapons (counting Ansem SoD's weapon as the Guardian Heartless rather than the double-bladed Soul Eater staff he wields at the end of KH1, of course). Could some of them get new weapons for KH3 like Lea just got a Keyblade styled like his old chakrams? Possibly, but not strictly necessary.

Considering that Sora has yet to deal with his darkness, it's will almost certainly be one of the threads of KH3.

zeemumu

Considering that Sora has yet to deal with his darkness, it's will almost certainly be one of the threads of KH3.

You've got a point. I'm a bit curious to see how Sora will handle it. Would he have an easier time dealing with it because it's not being fed by guilt like Riku's was, or would he have a harder time because he's never had to deal with it on his own before?

Malyse

You've got a point. I'm a bit curious to see how Sora will handle it. Would he have an easier time dealing with it because it's not being fed by guilt like Riku's was, or would he have a harder time because he's never had to deal with it on his own before?

Harder. He's never been able to handle his darkness; anti form shows that.

Psxphile

Re:Coded kinda already did this. Maybe not to anyone's satisfaction, though. Nomura would probably take it in a different direction anyway.

zeemumu

Harder. He's never been able to handle his darkness; anti form shows that.

Will it culminate in a fight between an uncontrollable Anti-Sora and Riku/Kairi trying to snap him out of it? It would be something if Vanitas is able to feed off of the darkness in Sora's heart to become stronger.

zeemumu

Exactly. Sora still hasn't dealt with his darkness.

Would regular Sora handle his darkness any differently than Data Sora? Him being Data Sora was really just a way of putting Sora into a game set in a place where he shouldn't have been able to go at the time.

Yep. It's not like there are many candidates for Xehanort to go after who *aren't* Sora at this point.

Just about every other currently light-aligned character you can think of who's likely going to appear as a major character in KH3 is basically purely light-hearted (Ventus, Kairi), bodiless and therefore not eligible for Xehanort to possess them (Roxas, Xion), or they have already struggled with the darkness and come out on the other side of it in some sense (Riku, Lea, Aqua - Aqua in a different sense than those others, of course).

It might be a useful metaphor, in fact, to look at the assorted leveling paces in KH1 and the text associated with them. Dialogue surrounding Riku (and the name of his primary Keyblade) have effectively made the "road that begins at night and leading toward dawn" an important theme in the story.

In that sense, I think it's perhaps accurate to say that Sora may have had the journey that starts off at dawn but ends in night. He still needs to pass through the darkness and come out on the other side of it.

Again, just a potentially useful metaphorical framework that the series' writers have already seen fit to draw on pretty heavily.

Xehanort's reports from Birth By Sleep mention the third keyblade type (the keyblade of heart). With the Princesses of Heart sort-of-maybe becoming a plot element again, I wonder if we'll see that one make a comeback (it's basically the only truly unique weapon in the series other than the Chi-blade).

The games have also never fully come out and stated why Mickey's possession of the keyblade of darkness (presumably obtained during the events of KH1) is important, if I'm not mistaken, or why he was working to get it.

It's interesting that both times a simulacrum of Kingdom Hearts has been completed (once with the collected hearts of worlds, once with the collected hearts of people/destroyed Heartless), it ended up actually being a gateway to the World of Darkness (once trapping Riku and Mickey there, once trapping Riku and Sora there). Granted, the second time it happened, Xemnas was still seemingly empowered by it, but I'm curious to see what happens when it inevitably happens again with the 'true' Kingdom Hearts in KH3. (And also, for that matter, curious to see how the heroes are able to extract Aqua from the World of Darkness).

zeemumu

Yep. It's not like there are many candidates for Xehanort to go after who *aren't* Sora at this point.

Just about every other currently light-aligned character you can think of who's likely going to appear as a major character in KH3 is basically purely light-hearted (Ventus, Kairi), bodiless and therefore not eligible for Xehanort to possess them (Roxas, Xion), or they have already struggled with the darkness and come out on the other side of it in some sense (Riku, Lea, Aqua - Aqua in a different sense than those others, of course).

It might be a useful metaphor, in fact, to look at the assorted leveling paces in KH1 and the text associated with them. Dialogue surrounding Riku (and the name of his primary Keyblade) have effectively made the "road that begins at night and leading toward dawn" an important theme in the story.

In that sense, I think it's perhaps accurate to say that Sora may have had the journey that starts off at dawn but ends in night. He still needs to pass through the darkness and come out on the other side of it.

Again, just a potentially useful metaphorical framework that the series' writers have already seen fit to draw on pretty heavily.

Xehanort's reports from Birth By Sleep mention the third keyblade type (the keyblade of heart). With the Princesses of Heart sort-of-maybe becoming a plot element again, I wonder if we'll see that one make a comeback (it's basically the only truly unique weapon in the series other than the Chi-blade).

The games have also never fully come out and stated why Mickey's possession of the keyblade of darkness (presumably obtained during the events of KH1) is important, if I'm not mistaken, or why he was working to get it.

It's interesting that both times a simulacrum of Kingdom Hearts has been completed (once with the collected hearts of worlds, once with the collected hearts of people/destroyed Heartless), it ended up actually being a gateway to the World of Darkness (once trapping Riku and Mickey there, once trapping Riku and Sora there). Granted, the second time it happened, Xemnas was still seemingly empowered by it, but I'm curious to see what happens when it inevitably happens again with the 'true' Kingdom Hearts in KH3. (And also, for that matter, curious to see how the heroes are able to extract Aqua from the World of Darkness).

Yeah I picked up on the dawn metaphor, but I don't think that Sora's journey into darkness would be within the same vein as Riku's. He's not exactly written as a character full of moral turmoil that might give way to the darkness at any moment.

Lea still has his anti-darkness hoodie, so he might be able to go get Aqua and Ansem the Wise using a dark corridor. Right now, the objective list in order seems to be to finish Sora's training, find Aqua, have her lead them to Ven, have Riku wake up Ven, then deal with the new organization. I always thought that certain versions of Kingdom Hearts resided in the realm of darkness, which is why it leads there in the first and second games.

Yeah I picked up on the dawn metaphor, but I don't think that Sora's journey into darkness would be within the same vein as Riku's. He's not exactly written as a character full of moral turmoil that might give way to the darkness at any moment.

Lea still has his anti-darkness hoodie, so he might be able to go get Aqua and Ansem the Wise using a dark corridor. Right now, the objective list in order seems to be to finish Sora's training, find Aqua, have her lead them to Ven, have Riku wake up Ven, then deal with the new organization. I always thought that certain versions of Kingdom Hearts resided in the realm of darkness, which is why it leads there in the first and second games.

I think it's almost certainly Sora who has to wake up Ven, not Riku. Sora's the one who still has some fragments of Ventus' heart inside of him and needs to return them in order to unbreak his heart.

zeemumu

I think it's almost certainly Sora who has to wake up Ven, not Riku. Sora's the one who still has some fragments of Ventus' heart inside of him and needs to return them in order to unbreak his heart.

Wouldn't Sora have to pass the exam first to learn the ability to do so? I mean, Sora could but not without killing himself (again).

It bothers me that Yen Sid knows that Xehanort needs 7 lights to succeed, so he wants to send 7 potential lights after him. I get that there's one for each princess and if they don't then Xehanort will just turn into Bowser and steal the princesses again, but would there really be no other way around it? He can't go himself and make it 8?

Wouldn't Sora have to pass the exam first to learn the ability to do so? I mean, Sora could but not without killing himself (again).

I suppose they may both be needed, since part of DDD was about gaining the ability to wake up sleeping hearts, yeah.

But otherwise, it could just be that Sora needs to succeed where he failed in DDD.

It's also unclear whether Sora may have gained that ability or not, though. It's entirely possible that both he and Riku (or neither!) have gained that power regardless; it's not like the ability is conferred by Master Yen Sid saying "congrats, you're a Keyblade Master." That's something DDD left unclear for now, for better or for worse. Any attempt at a definitive statement about it at this point is really just speculation, I think.

zeemumu

I suppose they may both be needed, since part of DDD was about gaining the ability to wake up sleeping hearts, yeah.

But otherwise, it could just be that Sora needs to succeed where he failed in DDD.

It's also unclear whether Sora may have gained that ability or not, though. It's entirely possible that both he and Riku (or neither!) have gained that power regardless; it's not like the ability is conferred by Master Yen Sid saying "congrats, you're a Keyblade Master." That's something DDD left unclear for now, for better or for worse. Any attempt at a definitive statement about it at this point is really just speculation, I think.

Would it be possible for Riku to teach Sora to protect himself from the darkness, or just give him his own Keyblade Armor so that he'd be protected from outside darkness? Sora has his inner darkness, but only enough to make a shadow (or a really strong neo shadow with the drive gauge). If Xehanort can't tamper with it from the outside, Sora should be fine.

Psxphile

Exactly. Sora still hasn't dealt with his darkness.
Well, we've seen a preview of sorts of what "facing his darkness" might entail.

Well, Mickey only needed it as a safeguard to close the Door To Darkness if it was ever opened. Other than that, it's exactly the same as a light-realm key. One has to wonder *how* he got it... a dark keyblade means a dark keyblade wielder has to exist, doesn't it? At least, it hasn't lost its power and become inert like those in the Keyblade Graveyard.

Village

Would it be possible for Riku to teach Sora to protect himself from the darkness, or just give him his own Keyblade Armor so that he'd be protected from outside darkness? Sora has his inner darkness, but only enough to make a shadow (or a really strong neo shadow with the drive gauge). If Xehanort can't tamper with it from the outside, Sora should be fine.
That's reasonable, therefore sora will mess it up and riku will have to fix it.

So to answer you and spoil every kh game that is and will be in existnce, riku fixes it.

zeemumu

That's reasonable, therefore sora will mess it up and riku will have to fix it.

So to answer you and spoil every kh game that is and will be in existnce, riku fixes it.

That's quite a reversal from the first game, where Riku screws up and Sora has to fix it. Then Namine screwed up everything in CoM and had to fix it.

Caladrius

All of the living keyblade wielders save for King Mickey are incompetent and must be replaced.

by four ex organization members plz square

Well, Mickey only needed it as a safeguard to close the Door To Darkness if it was ever opened. Other than that, it's exactly the same as a light-realm key. One has to wonder *how* he got it... a dark keyblade means a dark keyblade wielder has to exist, doesn't it? At least, it hasn't lost its power and become inert like those in the Keyblade Graveyard.

I think we'll eventually find out more of that if BBS Volume 2 or some equivalent to it ever becomes a reality.

zeemumu

I think we'll eventually find out more of that if BBS Volume 2 or some equivalent to it ever becomes a reality.

I don't know if they'd ever make a Birth by Sleep volume 2. It might be added in a re-release of BBS way down the line, but there's no way there's enough to get its own game. Mickey is the only remaining playable keyblade wielder between BBS and KH1, and an entire game of Mickey might get old really quickly. I liked the mysterious presence that Mickey had in the first game. Keeping his identity secret really shouldn't have been a big deal (it's not like there's a person alive who doesn't recognize Mickey Mouse) but him showing up at the end of KH1 was the best thing ever.

The Kingdom Key D likely has the same purpose that the Kingdom Key does. Its just the Kingdom Key's realm of darkness equivalent. So it probably opens/seals the Door to Darkness from the other side

I don't know if they'd ever make a Birth by Sleep volume 2. It might be added in a re-release of BBS way down the line, but there's no way there's enough to get its own game. Mickey is the only remaining playable keyblade wielder between BBS and KH1, and an entire game of Mickey might get old really quickly. I liked the mysterious presence that Mickey had in the first game. Keeping his identity secret really shouldn't have been a big deal (it's not like there's a person alive who doesn't recognize Mickey Mouse) but him showing up at the end of KH1 was the best thing ever.

The Kingdom Key D likely has the same purpose that the Kingdom Key does. Its just the Kingdom Key's realm of darkness equivalent. So it probably opens/seals the Door to Darkness from the other side

I'm thinking BBS Volume 2 would most likely encompass Aqua's experiences in the Dark Realm and eventually include Mickey's incursion into the Dark Realm, but that Aqua would be the playable character.

But I also suspect that the Final Mix's secret Aqua chapter, story-insubstantial as it was, is all we're getting of whatever Volume 2 had originally been planned.

MAtgS

I'm thinking BBS Volume 2 would most likely encompass Aqua's experiences in the Dark Realm and eventually include Mickey's incursion into the Dark Realm, but that Aqua would be the playable character.

But I also suspect that the Final Mix's secret Aqua chapter, story-insubstantial as it was, is all we're getting of whatever Volume 2 had originally been planned.

For it to truly be a sequel to BBS it would have to have 3 playable characters. That pretty much means it has to be Aqua, Mickey, and Riku.

Village

That's quite a reversal from the first game, where Riku screws up and Sora has to fix it. Then Namine screwed up everything in CoM and had to fix it.

Concidering all the games after ward.
Riku and Mickey fixed KH1, riku then fixed everything else.

zeemumu

The realm of darkness is pretty bland though, isn't it? Visually that would be an odd game.

For it to truly be a sequel to BBS it would have to have 3 playable characters. That pretty much means it has to be Aqua, Mickey, and Riku.
"truly" is such a misused word
The realm of darkness is pretty bland though, isn't it? Visually that would be an odd game.
KH1 confirmed that there were worlds that had fallen into darkness. Presumably there would be Disney worlds there.

Remember, the "world of light" and the "world of darkness" are worlds in separate senses from the way that, say, Destiny Islands is a world. Just about all of the small worlds we've encountered so far exist in the World of Light.

Malyse

Keep in mind that BBSV2 would be taking place between the final battle of BBS and the Secret Ending, meaning that the game can go past to the end of KH2. The meeting with Aqua at the dark meridian takes place one year past the end on KH2, so there's plenty of space with which to teel a story. Plus with Mickey and Riku both in the dark realm, but never meeting Aqua, we have an opportunity to tell completely divergent stories. Which would be amazeballs.

"truly" is such a misused word

KH1 confirmed that there were worlds that had fallen into darkness. Presumably there would be Disney worlds there.

Remember, the "world of light" and the "world of darkness" are worlds in separate senses from the way that, say, Destiny Islands is a world. Just about all of the small worlds we've encountered so far exist in the World of Light.

This is why you should say Realm of Light instead of World of Light.

This is why you should say Realm of Light instead of World of Light.

Yeah. The official game scripts/materials use "World of Light" for that stuff and I REALLY wish they'd used a proper, differentiating term like "Realm" instead.
Keep in mind that BBSV2 would be taking place between the final battle of BBS and the Secret Ending, meaning that the game can go past to the end of KH2. The meeting with Aqua at the dark meridian takes place one year past the end on KH2, so there's plenty of space with which to teel a story. Plus with Mickey and Riku both in the dark realm, but never meeting Aqua, we have an opportunity to tell completely divergent stories. Which would be amazeballs.
Agreed (though, should this game ever actually get made, I wouldn't be terrifically surprised to see Mickey encountering Aqua at some point while he's still just wielding the Star Seeker and Riku hasn't been pushed into the Dark World yet).

It's rendered more complicated to discuss by the fact that the "World/[Realm] of Light" once *was* a singular world.

Given that heartless are hearts and nobodies are bodies, sometimes I wonder whether Kingdom Hearts' lore is deliberately set up to make it slightly difficult to discuss.

zeemumu

Given that heartless are hearts and nobodies are bodies, sometimes I wonder whether Kingdom Hearts' lore is deliberately set up to make it slightly difficult to discuss.

Well Nobodies as a concept are confusing anyway because they aren't supposed to exist. The fact that they were able to make their own Kingdom Hearts adds to the confusion.

Psxphile

Yeah. The official game scripts/materials use "World of Light" for that stuff and I REALLY wish they'd used a proper, differentiating term like "Realm" instead.
KH2 started using the "realm" moniker as a way to differentiate, but I think they've been flip-flopping between them ever since.

I think of it as 'heartless = a heart that forgot how to be a heart' and 'nobody = a body that stopped being just a body', if I really want them to make sense.

Kinsei

Banned
Hi KH Gaf!

What are the odds that we'll finally get Bambi and Dumbo worlds in KHIII? They're long overdue. I also wouldn't mind a Chicken Little world even though I hate that movie.

Soriku

Hi KH Gaf!

What are the odds that we'll finally get Bambi and Dumbo worlds in KHIII? They're long overdue. I also wouldn't mind a Chicken Little world even though I hate that movie.

Flip a coin...or flip multiple. It's impossible to guess which worlds they'll add. I just hope they put in Toy Story.

Hi KH Gaf!

There's basically no way that a Chicken Little world will happen because nobody even remembers that movie. The Chicken Little summon was thrown in there because the film was relatively current and it was all about cross-promotion. Disney's 3D animation division (the one that isn't Pixar) has been much, much more successful with Tangled and Frozen than they ever were with Chicken Little.

zeemumu

Hi KH Gaf!

Bambi? Maybe. Probably not for Dumbo. It would end up looking to similarly to Prankster's Paradise. If they decide to tap into Pixar it's really unlikely that either will have a world. Toy Story, The Incredibles, and A Bug's Life are probably the most deserving. Wouldn't mind fighting the Omnidroid or Hopper/Thumper.

Top Bottom