• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Hi KH Gaf!

What are the odds that we'll finally get Bambi and Dumbo worlds in KHIII? They're long overdue. I also wouldn't mind a Chicken Little world even though I hate that movie.

I doubt any of them would happen. With CL as Badcrumble said it's a little too obscure. With Dumbo and Bambi while both very classic Disney films they are one of the harder ones to translate into the universe. Both were featured in the first game as summons too so it's not like they don't recognize the importance of those movies. But the problem is there are soooo many other ones they have way easier time with making a full fledged world.

If they were to happen tho maybe they could be some sort of special worlds akin to 100 Acre Wood.

The ''big classic'' as a new world this time will most likely be the Jungle Book. Mouse Detective is the one I want the most but it is a 2nd tier movie when it comes to being a Disney classic.

Good cameos>forced worlds tbh.

I could see Bambi being viable (though difficult to depict in some ways - there's very little in the way of villainy since it's much more of a coming-of-age tale).

Dumbo, though? That'd be reeeeally tricky. Remember that Dumbo's a Disney movie with drug use, animal abuse, and a major supporting cast of racist shuck-n-jive stereotypes. It's no Song of the South, but there are reasons why Square-Enix might not want to touch that one with a ten foot pole.
Good cameos>forced worlds tbh.

This, this, this, this, this.

still want a Bedknobs and Broomsticks level in which you fight alongside furniture and Angela Lansbury to defend England from the Nazis tho

Psxphile

I draw the line on any world that would require Sora and Co. to transform into something non-bipedal in order to fit in, on a purely gameplay-related level. Having his movesets altered to accommodate a drastic change like that at the expense of his normal repertoire ruins the flow; not being able to access combos/forms/summons/(non-Simba) limits as a lion in Pridelands sucked and made me dislike that world. Atlantica (KH1 ver.) was also guilty of this, and we all know that one gets a lot of hate.

zeemumu

I draw the line on any world that would require Sora and Co. to transform into something non-bipedal in order to fit in, on a purely gameplay-related level. Having his movesets altered to accommodate a drastic change like that at the expense of his normal repertoire ruins the flow; not being able to access combos/forms/summons/(non-Simba) limits as a lion in Pridelands sucked and made me dislike that world. Atlantica (KH1 ver.) was also guilty of this, and we all know that one gets a lot of hate.

I feel like that's what's keeping a Cars world from being made.

If we're throwing out suggestions for worlds, I wouldn't mind a Sleepy Hollow or a Roger Rabbit world. Headless Horseman boss or Judge Doom summoning a massive Heartless. A world based on The Sword in the Stone might not be so bad, either. They would have to use their imagination a bit for locations, but there's a lot you could do. Madam Mim could be the final boss.

Psxphile

I feel like that's what's keeping a Cars world from being made.

It would have to be some kind of mini-game that doesn't require Sora to fight with his keyblade. Probably another QTE type thing like KH2 Atlantica. I don't think anyone would be happy with that.

I don't think anyone would be happy with a "Cars" world, period.

zeemumu

It would have to be some kind of mini-game that doesn't require Sora to fight with his keyblade. Probably another QTE type thing like KH2 Atlantica. I don't think anyone would be happy with that.

I don't think anyone would be happy with a "Cars" world, period.

Yeah. I remember the Steamboat Willie car enemies. I'm gonna have to pass on a whole world full of that.

Yeah. This also reminds me that they need to abandon the arbitrary three-person party limit in KH3. Let me have four-person parties in the Disney worlds. Let me have a clash in the endgame with all seven guardians of light against all thirteen seekers of darkness.

zeemumu

Yeah. This also reminds me that they need to abandon the arbitrary three-person party limit in KH3. Let me have four-person parties in the Disney worlds. Let me have a clash in the endgame with all seven guardians of light against all thirteen seekers of darkness.

Imagine a Drive Gauge with ALL of the keyblade wielders.

Imagine a Drive Gauge with ALL of the keyblade wielders.

I mean, I don't think KH3 will have drive forms or a drive gauge, but yeah. There could be a lot of very fun stuff.

If it hadn't been for RAM limitations, KH2 (and FFXII, for that matter) could certainly have supported parties of sizes larger than three. I suspect that this didn't happen in each case partly for balance reasons as well, of course. But with Reflect and the area-of-effect Cure spell in KH2, your primary defensive magic no longer ever involves targeting your allies.

I still really hope we have multiple playable characters in KH 3.

Agreed (and not just playing someone non-Sora in the intro section of the game).

The Osaka team has only made games with multiple playable campaigns so far (though DDD's two campaigns are obviously played simultaneously). I think it'd be a step down for them not to do so in KH3.

zeemumu

Agreed (and not just playing someone non-Sora in the intro section of the game).

The Osaka team has only made games with multiple playable campaigns so far (though DDD's two campaigns are obviously played simultaneously). I think it'd be a step down for them not to do so in KH3.

I disliked the time limit for DDD but I understand that it's there because they realized that everyone would just play through Sora/Riku's story then come back and finish the other story and it messes up the flow of the game. They could always have one story that switches characters each chapter.

Who do you think it would be? I think if there's multiple campaigns, then Sora and Riku are a given. Maybe Kairi? Or a section with Aqua in the realm of Darkness.
I doubt Axel or Mickey would be playable.

Who do you think it would be? I think if there's multiple campaigns, then Sora and Riku are a given. Maybe Kairi? Or a section with Aqua in the realm of Darkness.
I doubt Axel or Mickey would be playable.

If they allow for character-switching of some sort mid-gameplay, they could technically make a bunch of characters playable within a single campaign.

Malyse

Bambi? Maybe. Probably not for Dumbo. It would end up looking to similarly to Prankster's Paradise. If they decide to tap into Pixar it's really unlikely that either will have a world. Toy Story, The Incredibles, and A Bug's Life are probably the most deserving. Wouldn't mind fighting the Omnidroid or Hopper/Thumper.

Jungle Book is certain. There's precedent for worlds cut from one game to be put in future ones (see also Prankster's Paradise). Incredibles is likely as the sequel will be hitting around the same time. Same for Frozen. It's just one of the most successful Disney movies ever, plus there's a sequel coming. Bug's Life is no chance.

Personally, I want some collab with Disney Infinity.

Jungle Book is certain. There's precedent for worlds cut from one game to be put in future ones (see also Prankster's Paradise). Incredibles is likely as the sequel will be hitting around the same time. Same for Frozen. It's just one of the most successful Disney movies ever, plus there's a sequel coming. Bug's Life is no chance.

Agreed. I think the Incredibles would be a strong fit for KH3 (they're easily the most action-y of the Pixar catalog, and they're very recognizable - less so than the Toy Story folks, perhaps, but still extraordinarily recognizable).

Frozen would be great too - they've got a fantastic built-in elemental theme for your assist character, in fact, not to mention it's specifically a *heart* that gets frozen in the film. It's far, far too easy to adapt it to KH and it's too popular not to do it.

I still think Asgard's a likely Marvel property to adapt (perhaps the only one, since it's the most fantastical fit) - doubly so with the "dark elves" plot element from Thor: The Dark World (they are so, so easily replaced with Heartless in a KH-style retelling of the film's plot). There's already a bunch of talk about moving between worlds and stuff.

I'm more doubtful about Star Wars getting adapted, but solely because it's *too* on the nose (Birth By Sleep especially yanked so very many plot elements from the Star Wars films, not to mention there are characters who pretty much straight up dress in black Sith cloaks and use lightsabers, and I can understand not wanting to draw attention to that). But certainly all of the talk of darkness and light would be more than compatible. Also, Star Wars = $$$$$$$, which is ultimately what the Kingdom Hearts franchise is meant to bring in. If Star Wars were to happen, I'd expect something fairly simple, like Dagobah and Yoda and not much beyond that - it'd keep the science-fiction elements pretty minimal, I think.

But I think all that stuff is easier to guess at than figuring out which classic 2D animated Disney films will get turned into worlds. The Kingdom Shader business makes me think they'll want to really visually differentiate between worlds in a way that the previous games haven't done and which goes beyond just the different HUDs/costuming from KH2. But outside of CG vs 2D animation vs monochrome "cartoon" style vs. live action vs stop-motion, I'm having trouble imagining what differentiation they can aim for, so I suspect there'll also be more emphasis on different costuming per-world.

Marvel and Star Wars won't be til KH4.

What makes you say that? KH4's likely not been in active development until after DDD was finished (which was after Disney had fully secured all rights and licenses to Marvel and Star Wars properties), and there was a Nomura interview not long after the initial KH3 trailer where he said they were still figuring out which worlds would be in the game. There's certainly nothing I can think of that would actually eliminate it from contention.

Dereck

It irritates me that there is no useful news on anything that I care about. (Don't give a damn about BBS and KHII HD), and I know there is nothing I can do about it but wait.

Malyse

What makes you say that? KH4's likely not been in active development until after DDD was finished (which was after Disney had fully secured all rights and licenses to Marvel and Star Wars properties), and there was a Nomura interview not long after the initial KH3 trailer where he said they were still figuring out which worlds would be in the game. There's certainly nothing I can think of that would actually eliminate it from contention.

Because KH3 is the culmination of seven games spread across more than a decade. They need to focus on the story as much as possible, and with the incredibly poor storytelling the series has had thus far, incorporating two additional universes would be a mistake. Finish the fight first. KH4 isn't going to take nearly as long as 3 did to come out.

This so much.

If the clash between light and darkness is any different than what you described, i'll be very disappointed. They no longer have the limitations in hardware, they can make it epic and memorable. And your idea of switching control between party members could really work too.

-------------------------------

Personally i'm expecting a playable Sora, Riku,and Kairi, (at least in some section of the game). It's time we got full control of the 3 Destiny Island's kids. Now, how Donald and Goofy will fit in all the conflict it's something i can't figure out. As important as they were for the KH games, it's sad to see they are quite useless now, at least in terms of plot relevance...

Wynnebeck

Banned
Well Squenix's slow pace of development gives me enough time to try and Platinum KH 1.5 and 358/2 Days. I'm not even gonna try CoM as I heard that is insanely hard to do. Then I can go back and Plat KH 2.5 when it comes out this year.

Also, hi KH Community. :p

Because KH3 is the culmination of seven games spread across more than a decade. They need to focus on the story as much as possible, and with the incredibly poor storytelling the series has had thus far, incorporating two additional universes would be a mistake. Finish the fight first. KH4 isn't going to take nearly as long as 3 did to come out.
I don't necessarily consider including Star Wars or Marvel to be any more ambitious than including Tron or Pirates of the Caribbean was.

The only way I can see KH3 being relatively conservative is if they want to concentrate on a world for each of the Princesses of Heart (in which case: Wonderland, Agrabah, Enchanted Dominion, Dwarf Woodlands, Beast's Castle, Castle of Dreams). But I expect ambition.

It'd be neat, by the way, to have their portrayal of Maleficent draw some influence from the upcoming Maleficent film (e.g. lots of thorn/wood magic, giving her wings).

Malyse

I don't necessarily consider including Star Wars or Marvel to be any more ambitious than including Tron or Pirates of the Caribbean was.

Wat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Expanded_Universe
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Universe
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Cinematic_Universe

Meanwhile Pirates is four films, a short film, and three book series and Tron is two movies and a cancelled TV show. There's a degree of magnitude in difference of scale here.

Wat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Expanded_Universe
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Universe
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Cinematic_Universe

Meanwhile Pirates is four films, a short film, and three book series and Tron is two movies and a cancelled TV show. There's a degree of magnitude in difference of scale here.

Oh sure. But including Dagobah and Asgard just means doing that. It's not like KH games are canonically part of the FF7 plot either, nor do they respect FF7 canon. They simplify the stories of the stuff they adapt in the smaller worlds all the time. An Asgard world in KH really wouldn't mean suddenly needing to bring in every single piece of the Marvel universe.

zeemumu

It irritates me that there is no useful news on anything that I care about. (Don't give a damn about BBS and KHII HD), and I know there is nothing I can do about it but wait.

All we know of KH3 is that your Keyblade can turn into different weapons and reaction commands seem to have been replaced with Disney rides. And that it's wrapping up Xehanort's story arc.

Malyse

Oh sure. But including Dagobah and Asgard just means doing that. It's not like KH games are canonically part of the FF7 plot either, nor do they respect FF7 canon. They simplify the stories of the stuff they adapt in the smaller worlds all the time. An Asgard world in KH really wouldn't mean suddenly needing to bring in every single piece of the Marvel universe.

I don't want it done badly, so I'd rather wait.

RGamer2009

Neo Member
Instead of talking about what worlds we want to see, lets talk about what worlds we DON'T want to see again.

Olympus%20Coliseum.png

I'm TIRED of seeing this world again and again and again. It needs a break from Kingdom Hearts 3. Either remove it entirely, or make it strictly an Arena mode out of the way of the story.

Instead of talking about what worlds we want to see, lets talk about what worlds we DON'T want to see again.

Olympus%20Coliseum.png

I'm TIRED of seeing this world again and again and again. It needs a break from Kingdom Hearts 3. Either remove it entirely, or make it strictly an Arena mode out of the way of the story.
I hate this stupid world so much oh my god
If KH 3 has Olympus Coliseum,Agrabah,Wonderland, or Atlantica then I will fucking hurt someone

Caladrius

If KH 3 has Olympus Coliseum,Agrabah,Wonderland, or Atlantica then I will fucking hurt someone

Seconded.

I might also have to add Neverland since they seem to have visited nearly all the locations from Peter Pan.

Basically KH3 needs a load of new worlds.

Seconded.

I might also have to add Neverland since they seem to have visited nearly all the locations from Peter Pan.

Basically KH3 needs a load of new worlds.
Yup. They have a ton of stuff to work with when it comes to Disney worlds, and if they could pull off Pirates of the Caribbean then they can pull of anything.

zeemumu

Well Rock Titan was in the KH3 gameplay trailer so there's some variation of Hercules in there. It looked like he was being fought on Mount Olympus though, and Sora was fighting him while riding a flying Big Thunder Mountain train.

12363.jpg

Well Rock Titan was in the KH3 gameplay trailer so there's some variation of Hercules in there. It looked like he was being fought on Mount Olympus though, and Sora was fighting him while riding a flying Big Thunder Mountain train.
I forgot about that lol
Well, I guess as long as it's not inside the damn Coliseum anymore.

Levyne

Banned
I'm not as sick of the Hercules world as other people, but it would be nice if they managed to not just do something different with it. Scaling mount Olympus would be cool. Put the end-game arena stuff some place else for some variety.

Blink Me

Agreed. I don't mind the characters appearing in a different world as cameos but I really don't want to go back to those worlds. I'm a bit disappointed though that in Wonderland Mr Walrus, The Mad Hatter, March Hare and Tweedle Dee and Dum never appeared though.

Top Bottom