• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

CorvoSol

Be careful what you wish for.

I won't outright say it lol

I know people are mad about that, but I mean, her inclusion is inevitable and has been for a long time. I'm at peace with that. But that's still just one character. KH2 gave us Tifa, Setzer, Seifer, Vivi, Raijin, Fujin, Yuna, Rikku, and Paine. Add that to all the other FF characters and that was a nice haul. Days and Re:Coded introduced no new FF characters, and BBS gave us a grand total of 1. At least DDD had 4 TWEWY characters.

I OHKO'd everything that wasn't a boss of some sort in Atlantica. Sora did not go up any levels. My goal was level 50 before hitting Hollow Bastion. I guess I'll go try the Herc cup and see if that helps, otherwise I can either grind in Neverland or just not bother going up 5 levels this time. I mean jeez. I did not gain a single level that whole world.

Playing KH1 really, really emphasizes to me again how much better KH2 was as a game. You can quibble and quabble about how the inclusion of Org XIII ruined the plot or whatevs, but as an actual game KH2 was so, so much better. Which is funny because I used to see very little difference between them.

Also I don't care if we get Star Wars or Marvel, if we do that's cool, but could we please get some more Final Fantasy? Like, BBS's only FF character was ZACK. Nomura knows how to draw all the heroes from all the games now, since Dissidia and all that. Shoot, give me a Dissidia world or something and I'll be okay. But like, the sheer lack of FF in recent KH games has been a real let down.

BBS was once going to include Laguna as well (remember, this is trying to operate on "prequel" sensibilities). I would have enjoyed it if they'd included Laguna, Jecht, and maybe one of the Warriors of Light from FF5 I suppose - not many FF games had a sense of "these characters are your predecessors."

I know people are mad about that, but I mean, her inclusion is inevitable and has been for a long time. I'm at peace with that. But that's still just one character. KH2 gave us Tifa, Setzer, Seifer, Vivi, Raijin, Fujin, Yuna, Rikku, and Paine. Add that to all the other FF characters and that was a nice haul. Days and Re:Coded introduced no new FF characters, and BBS gave us a grand total of 1. At least DDD had 4 TWEWY characters.
How could you forget Auron ;-;

Cool thread.

I'd consider myself a casual fan of KH, despite owning pretty much all the games; I find the plot really silly but that's a lot of the appeal for me.

I recently picked up Kingdom Hearts 3D and I'm enjoying it so far; how does Kingdom Hearts-GAF feel about that game?

Cool thread.

I'd consider myself a casual fan of KH, despite owning pretty much all the games; I find the plot really silly but that's a lot of the appeal for me.

I recently picked up Kingdom Hearts 3D and I'm enjoying it so far; how does Kingdom Hearts-GAF feel about that game?
It's a step down from Birth By Sleep (perhaps due to short devtime combined with a bunch of new systems+experimenting) but it has bunch of good going for it. It's the first "full fledged" KH game on Nintendo platforms, impressive techically, music is great and has it's own feel to it. Story is terribly balanced as are the combat mechanics (not to mention the stupid as hell drop system). It's a fun game but it suffers from lack of solid design.

sasuke_91

The drop system is annoying after some time
which is why I enjoyed playing only as Riku in the end
, but other than that, the gameplay is pretty cool.
Taming spirits was also interesting. It felt like playing with your Tamagotchi as a kid^^

The game was not THAT hard (completed on Proud Mode on LVL 44), but not easy either. It's definitely the best Spin-Off I've played so far (waiting for KH 2.5 to play BBS).

CorvoSol

How could you forget Auron ;-;

That is a good question.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanyway, is it just that I ground until Sora was level 50 before facing him, or is Riku WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY easier in this version? I remember him drinking my salty tears back in the day, but now I beat him in one go.

sasuke_91

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanyway, is it just that I ground until Sora was level 50 before facing him, or is Riku WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY easier in this version? I remember him drinking my salty tears back in the day, but now I beat him in one go.

I remember him being a problem in the past. I also remember playing the game for the first time when I was 13 or 14 years old, so that could also be a reason^^

That is a good question.

I suspect that grinding had a lot to do with it. He's tougher in this version (talking about Proud difficulty compared to the original NA version's Expert).

Sciortino

Finally got validated and can start posting in this thread! I'm dying for 2.5hd to release!! Good chance it won't show up at E3 but its guaranteed at TGS this year since it has a 2014 release right?

Mecha

Finally got validated and can start posting in this thread! I'm dying for 2.5hd to release!! Good chance it won't show up at E3 but its guaranteed at TGS this year since it has a 2014 release right?

Considering how 2.5 is coming out this year, I can't imagine it won't be at E3. I wouldn't be surprised if 3 is there too considering all of the hints that we have been getting.

They just recently hinted to surprising us for KH3 and FFXV at E3 and TGS so I'm expecting some great things to be shown.

My dumb prediction: No KH3 at E3 or TGS, first big blowout at Jump Festa.

However I have said before that they MIGHT have another short concept demoy clip like we have had 2 times now just so that they could plant another HD remix ad to the end. Probably not gonna happen but just a silly idea.

XV is hard to tell. They probably have something to show, but then again with this title it's really hard to know sometimes what the heck is going on.

I can't imagine it won't be at E3
Same here concidering 1) 1.5 had quite big showing at E3 last year coupled with Sony E3 conference reminder, big ads at the convention halls, new trailer, and of course first time playable for english audience (I think?).

2)1.5 did really well and concidering it could possibly be the biggest title they have this year in playable form... yeah. Unless they have a surprise playable demos of multiple Eidos games they will bring this one with them. Like, what else do they have we know about? Murdered: SS and Theatrythm?

Wouldn't be too surprised to see KH3 eventually shown at a Microsoft conference, given that it's an IP that hasn't been on a Microsoft platform yet and that's a big deal to them, but 2014 probably isn't the year for that.

Wouldn't be too surprised to see KH3 eventually shown at a Microsoft conference, given that it's an IP that hasn't been on a Microsoft platform yet and that's a big deal to them, but 2014 probably isn't the year for that.

It would pretty much be FF13/MGR/Phantom Pain kinda thing. Would not be totally surprised for it to happen like, next year or something but I personally don't think KH3 will show up at E3 2014. I was surprised enough for them to make another demo for D23 and that's only 6 months ago. I doubt showing a third tech demoy showing of same type would be too wise, XV however barely has seen any new stuff since E3 last year and supposedly that game should be way more ready for another showing. I think they should let KH3 boil for a moment and if the development is going well they could show something of interest in december or something instead of another twilight town tour.

After last year I refuse to have any expectations from anyone when it comes to TGS.

edit: man, come to think of it it's been almost as long since we got a 2.5 trailer than it has been since we got our last KH3 trailer. God damnit.

edit2: and just a reminder of the plentiful boons SE might bring to E3 if you don't count unannounced Eidos games (that might not even have a hands on demos), smartphone stuff like Agito and Theatrythm...
GUp7SdQ.png
bt9o3Wy.png

yeeaaaah...

Sciortino

Square needs to keep us updated a lot more often than like what? Once every year or two? They can't keep doing this to us by leaving us waiting for anything new for months with nothing to show.

CorvoSol

I'm nearly level 60, I have like, a gazillion elixirs and I'm at the final dungeon. I haven't seen any "Stone" rank items and I'm wondering: should I bother doing this item synthesis stuff again, or should I just hurry up and beat the game? I have 2 more on this disc to play.

Falk

that puzzling face
Have you ever played CoM?

I'd suggest a short break between otherwise (or even if so) considering how much it retreads. You're just asking for burnout playing 1FM and CoM back to back.

CorvoSol

Have you ever played CoM?

I'd suggest a short break between otherwise (or even if so) considering how much it retreads. You're just asking for burnout playing 1FM and CoM back to back.

I played it when it came out on GBA.

Can you imagine doing 1, CoM and Re:Coded back to back? A person would lose their mind.

raven777

I expected 2.5 to come out in the first half of 2014 in Japan and they still haven't really shown anything. Hope it comes out by July..

Soriku

Not expecting it but I really hope it comes out in July too, or at least early August. I need my summer KH fix before I have to go back to school and I'm not bringing my PS3.

CorvoSol

Is it just me, or are Donald and Goofy useless for anything other than distracting the enemies while Sora does all the work? Donald wastes MP so fast and dies so fast, and Goofy blows all his items in minutes trying to keep Donald alive for another second.

Also the Rock Titan was the easiest boss in the entire Hades Cup.

Soriku

Is it just me, or are Donald and Goofy useless for anything other than distracting the enemies while Sora does all the work? Donald wastes MP so fast and dies so fast, and Goofy blows all his items in minutes trying to keep Donald alive for another second.

I think Donald's healing is alright. They're even worse in KH2.

At this point I'll be surprised at anything releasing before september.

I guess they're recording new stuff for Re:coded.

While it probably means nothing we got the recording leaks last year in January for the english release of 1.5. I can only pray it doesn't follow a similar track to release.

I wish there were gambits so I could tell Donald to ONLY heal.

Well you can set him to be more of a healer, tho I don't remember if you can turn the offensive casting totally off in KH1 like you can in KH2.

I'm nearly level 60, I have like, a gazillion elixirs and I'm at the final dungeon. I haven't seen any "Stone" rank items and I'm wondering: should I bother doing this item synthesis stuff again, or should I just hurry up and beat the game? I have 2 more on this disc to play.
Stones are obtained by defeating special Final Mix-only heartless. They aren't simple battles except for two or three so you might need a guide.

I wish there were gambits so I could tell Donald to ONLY heal.
Make sure you set Donald to spam defensive and advanced magic, while setting Goofy to not attack, do defensive actions all the time and spam support skills.
Also set both to only use items in a pinch.

Nohar

I really hope that they will, somehow, make Donald and Goofy more useful and relevant (even Goofy lampshaded that in 3D). Overall, companions are rather useless, though Disney characters (other than Goofy and Donald) were quite powerful in KH1. And, well, the Beast is just badass (the one good thing in KH3 is that it is a given that Beast will make a comeback - his storyline isn't finished yet, and, well, I guess he could make a fine
new vessel
for Xehanort).

The thing is, now that we have so much keyblade wielders, I don't see the point in having Disney companions anymore. I'd really love to be able to have a Sora/Riku/Kairi team for example and change the playable character on the fly.

I don't think they will go that way, but KH3 could be a fantastic multiplayer game. Sure, teams would be automatically set up in some worlds for story reasons, but it is a possibility.

zeemumu

I really hope that they will, somehow, make Donald and Goofy more useful and relevant (even Goofy lampshaded that in 3D). Overall, companions are rather useless, though Disney characters (other than Goofy and Donald) were quite powerful in KH1. And, well, the Beast is just badass (the one good thing in KH3 is that it is a given that Beast will make a comeback - his storyline isn't finished yet, and, well, I guess he could make a fine
new vessel
for Xehanort).

The thing is, now that we have so much keyblade wielders, I don't see the point in having Disney companions anymore. I'd really love to be able to have a Sora/Riku/Kairi team for example and change the playable character on the fly.

I don't think they will go that way, but KH3 could be a fantastic multiplayer game. Sure, teams would be automatically set up in some worlds for story reasons, but it is a possibility.

After KH2 there really weren't anymore disney companions. 358/2 had the Organization, BBS was typically solo but you could team up with the other keyblade wielders once in a while, and Dream Drop had dream eaters

Nohar

On the other hand, maybe that's precisely what the KH needs: to let go of Disney worlds and cheesy side-stories. Seriously, let the serie grows Square-Enix. Sora & cie can't be Peter Pan forever.

Falk

that puzzling face
I find that about as likely as letting go of Square Enix (that aren't specifically Kingdom Hearts exclusive obviously) cameo characters. Part of the charm of the franchise is threading an overarching story through the hilariously incongruent stew pot of disparate worlds, characters and settings.

edit: Imagine KH2 without Disney worlds.

Malyse

They can kill Maleficent by themselves.

After KH2 there really weren't anymore disney companions. 358/2 had the Organization, BBS was typically solo but you could team up with the other keyblade wielders once in a while, and Dream Drop had dream eaters

RIP Disney

After KH2, there weren't really all that many FF cameos. RIP SquareEnix.

I wonder what will happen to Kingdom Hearts when they run out of Disney Worlds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Walt_Disney_Pictures_films

They won't.

On the other hand, maybe that's precisely what the KH needs: to let go of Disney worlds and cheesy side-stories. Seriously, let the serie grows Square-Enix. Sora & cie can't be Peter Pan forever.

You seem to fail to realize that there are far more fans of Disney than of Kingdom Hearts. Disney message boards don't give a damn about OrgXIII or Xehanort. They just want a fun way to interact with Disney characters. And they have a lot more purchasing power.

And yes, they can stop aging them.

I find that about as likely as letting go of Square Enix (that aren't specifically Kingdom Hearts exclusive obviously) cameo characters. Part of the charm of the franchise is threading an overarching story through the hilariously incongruent stew pot of disparate worlds, characters and settings.

edit: Imagine KH2 without Disney worlds.

It would be fucking awful. A lot of people were only drawn in because of the Disney, myself including. I didn't give a fuck about Final Fantasy; I hadn't touched one since the SNES. Dropping Disney would irrevocably harm the series and compromise the franchise's identity.

Top Bottom