• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

zeemumu

I guess it's time for Angelina Jolie Maleficent to show up in some kind of alternate universe in KH and do battle with mainstream Maleficent.

-Ryn

Banned
Really wish I had been able to play this series when I was a kid.

My first game was KH2 (didn't finish it as it was a friends) so I already knew a few key things. Plus well... internet. Luckily though there were still plenty of surprises. Hurray for restraint. On the other hand I'm happy my first true experience was with the Final Mix version which brings a LOT of awesome additions to the table
looking at you Sepiroth and Unknown dude
. Not to mention I actually managed to %100 the game. It's been a long time since I've cared enough to do that. Honestly though this game is something all it's own and it is truly a masterpiece.

What a crazy awesome idea it was to mix the worlds of Disney and Final Fantasy (my childhood). Can't wait for 2.5. In the meantime though, it's off to Chain of Memories!

kingdom-hearts-com.gif

Mecha

Can't wait for 2.5. In the meantime though, it's off to Chain of Memories!

I suggest playing through CoM on beginner for your first run. That way you can breeze through it for the story, and if you like it you can revisit it on harder difficulty levels.

RPGCrazied

Anyone want to guess the release date for 2.5 HD? The playstation blog said this year, but Japan has yet to get a date. Hopefully it doesn't slip into 2015.

Anyone want to guess the release date for 2.5 HD? The playstation blog said this year, but Japan has yet to get a date. Hopefully it doesn't slip into 2015.

All recent info still maintains a 2014 release. English voicing for re:coded cutscenes have/ are happening too so the english version is almost done as well.

-Ryn

Banned
I suggest playing through CoM on beginner for your first run. That way you can breeze through it for the story, and if you like it you can revisit it on harder difficulty levels.
Not gonna lie, I burnt myself out playing CoM right after 1FM on the 1.5 compilation.
Thanks for the heads up Mecha. I've heard that the gameplay is a lot different due to the card based battle system.
Are there any similarities between KHs and CoMs gameplay or is it a completely different beast? I haven't really looked into it all.

I'm putting my money on September.
Most likely it will probably be in the late fall or early winter. Gaming industry is weird about announcing dates.

zeemumu

A July 13th release would be friggin hilarious, although I'm willing to be that they'll save that date for KH3 in whatever year it comes out.

Falk

that puzzling face
Thanks for the heads up Mecha. I've heard that the gameplay is a lot different due to the card based battle system.
Are there any similarities between KHs and CoMs gameplay or is it a completely different beast? I haven't really looked into it all.

Without spoiling too much, let's just say it retreads a lot of ground. Especially in the remake (e.g. not the original 2D version)

edit: Doubly especially since you said you took the time to 100% 1FM

Mecha

Combat in CoM is in real time like in KH1, but you have to use cards to attack and you need to combine them to use special moves. You can play it somewhat similarly to KH1 (usually not to great results), but because cards have values you can be broken out of attacks.

-Ryn

Banned
Combat in CoM is in real time like in KH1, but you have to use cards to attack and you need to combine them to use special moves. You can play it somewhat similarly to KH1 (usually not to great results), but because cards have values you can be broken out of attacks.
Without spoiling too much, let's just say it retreads a lot of ground. Especially in the remake (e.g. not the original 2D version)

edit: Doubly especially since you said you took the time to 100% 1FM
Just about finished with Traverse Town and I'm really glad I went with beginner. This games combat is weird. Still though I love the story.
Thanks for the help guys.

Is it just me or does Sora sound like Zidane?

Mecha

Just about finished with Traverse Town and I'm really glad I went with beginner. This games combat is weird. Still though I love the story.
Thanks for the help guys.

Is it just me or does Sora sound like Zidane?

They did the voice acting in re:CoM after KH2, so Sora sounds noticeably different.

Levyne

Banned
For some reason I think HJO was a much better VA when he was young. It sounds like he phones it in in the later games >_>

Edit: Though the dialogue he has doesn't do him any favors.

-Ryn

Banned
Same person, but he has gone through puberty and is trying to sound young.
It's surprising they didn't get a new VA. Pretty cool though.
For some reason I think HJO was a much better VA when he was young. It sounds like he phones it in in the later games >_>

Edit: Though the dialogue he has doesn't do him any favors.
I don't know how well he does in KH2 but yeah it was really weird when I was playing CoM. Seems to be getting better though.

I don't know how well he does in KH2 but yeah it was really weird when I was playing CoM. Seems to be getting better though.
He is better in KH2 (as are most actors) mostly because they didn't lipsynch the characters in re:com due to cutscenes being prerendered for whatever crazy reason in the PS2 release so they are directed to dub on japanese lipsynch unlike every other KH.

HJO best performance definately is KH1 but he is pretty great in 2 also for what he is given (and DDD too considering Sora is a total tool in that one).

RPGCrazied

They have arrived!

I was scared about how they would look after shipping, but they look great.

I still own all of the black label PS2 games too, even with the new HD sets I'm still keeping it for the collection.

I'm guessing 2.5 HD will be another artbook style case?

zeemumu

If you think that's weird, wait until you hear him in DDD.

RPGCrazied

So, after 2.5 HD comes out, will Dream Drop be the only game in the series not playable on the PS3?

I wonder what they are going to do with that game. I'm pretty positive III will be right after Dream Drop. I have a feeling they will HD that game. It might be just a digital only title, or what else, since its only one game.

Malyse

EDIT: DreamDrop was banned?

Pay it no mind.

They won't increase the NPC count, KH has never had world filled with people, and I doubt it ever will.

It's weird that they don't really. I mean the Final Fantasy series has never had ghost towns as far as I know. It would be cool to have the worlds feel more alive in KH. It could be used in plenty of ways for the narrative.

If there were eldritch abominations running around literally ripping people's hearts out, would you go outside?

I still own all of the black label PS2 games too, even with the new HD sets I'm still keeping it for the collection.

I'm guessing 2.5 HD will be another artbook style case?

Are we collection bragging?
Kingdom Hearts BL
Kingdom Hearts GH
Kingdom Hearts Final Mix
Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories
Kingdom Hearts II BL
Kingdom Hearts II GH
Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix +
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days Japanese
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days English
Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep
Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep Final Mix
Kingdom Hearts RE: coded
Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance
Kingdom Hearts I.5 HD ReMix
Plus necklaces and earrings and manga...

So, after 2.5 HD comes out, will Dream Drop be the only game in the series not playable on the PS3?

I wonder what they are going to do with that game. I'm pretty positive III will be right after Dream Drop. I have a feeling they will HD that game. It might be just a digital only title, or what else, since its only one game.

Nothing. They didn't remake CoM until after 2 was out, so they won't remake 3D until after 3. That way people won't whine about they wasting time on a remake instead of 3 (which would be valid as the port team would have to be taken from KH3 unless they outsourced it. And no one wants that.) Besides, as it stands now, you can play the entire series with only two systems: A PS3 for 1, CoM, 2, and BBS and a 3DS for Days, coded, and 3D.

IF they do release in 2015, it better be cross gen. Idk if some fans will take exclusivity well even though it would give them an extra incentive to purchase other than KH3 and FFXV

-Ryn

Banned
If there were eldritch abominations running around literally ripping people's hearts out, would you go outside?
Yes
He is better in KH2 (as are most actors) mostly because they didn't lipsynch the characters in re:com due to cutscenes being prerendered for whatever crazy reason in the PS2 release so they are directed to dub on japanese lipsynch unlike every other KH.

HJO best performance definately is KH1 but he is pretty great in 2 also for what he is given (and DDD too considering Sora is a total tool in that one).
That puberty problem is the same in the Japanese version too, it's weird hearing KH2 Sora's voice coming from KH1 Sora.
If you think that's weird, wait until you hear him in DDD.
Isn't he older DDD? I thought that game took place after 2. I'd hope they don't just drop all character development and make him suck...
I've never seen a Japanese dub with that problem so this would be interesting to see.

Well Nomura did say he wanted all the games on one console so yeah I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that it will come to PS3 (DDD). Not sure if Nintendo is a problem.

Mecha

Yes
Isn't he older DDD? I thought that game took place after 2. I'd hope they don't just drop all character development and make him suck...

He acts a bit less mature in DDD, but Nomura has said how he wants to make a more mature Sora in 3.

zeemumu

Yes

I've never seen a Japanese dub with that problem so this would be interesting to see.

He is older and it does take place after 2, but the voice change is so jarring because we didn't get a lot of fresh Sora Dialogue outside of the re-releases.

Sciortino

I keep repeating the KH3 teaser at the end of the trailer. Those sketches. And the voice sounds young and it cant be someone we know?

zeemumu

Wow, I'm realizing how old K2 is. I was still in elementary school when it came out, and now I'm halfway through college.

zeemumu

Yes I re watched it again and its definitely
Young Xehanort
and a younger Eraqus.

Yeah that seems to be the case. They're referring to a master, so they're both keyblade wielders, and they're talking about a subject that only
Xehanort
would wish to discuss.

Kind of disappointed it's so late though. And as someone who doesn't plan to get a PS3 it's hurts. But I know if I wait it out a little more I will eventually get rewarded with what I am hoping for. I know how Square plays this game

Top Bottom