• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Psxphile

And, well, the Beast is just badass (the one good thing in KH3 is that it is a given that Beast will make a comeback - his storyline isn't finished yet, and, well, I guess he could make a fine
new vessel
for Xehanort).

wat

Beast turned human in the KH2 credits, what's left for him to do?

zeemumu

wat

Beast turned human in the KH2 credits, what's left for him to do?

That's true. A lot of the Disney stories have been wrapped up, either in the main game or in the credits. Of the worlds that we've visited, I think only Lilo and Stitch, Pirates, and Wonderland have not been resolved. Hercules could count too since everything in KH1 onward takes place post-Hercules movie. That is, unless you want to go into the direct to dvd sequels.

Nohar

*blink*

Wait. Beast's story was wrapped up in KH2 credits?

Oh fudge... Completly forgot about that.

I guess I wouldn't mind if they keep using Disney worlds. True enough, that's part of the charm of the series. But they need to be implemented in the overall scenario in a better way. Way too many Disney worlds are just used as fillers, and nothing important and/or tied to the real plot happens there. The plot needs to be more structured, instead of following the formula used in KH2 (Heavy prologue, Filler worlds, Big event at 50% of the game, Filler worlds, Finale).

... Heck, I would be OK with them using that formula again. But no Atlantica. Never again.

Malyse

That's true. A lot of the Disney stories have been wrapped up, either in the main game or in the credits. Of the worlds that we've visited, I think only Lilo and Stitch, Pirates, and Wonderland have not been resolved. Hercules could count too since everything in KH1 onward takes place post-Hercules movie. That is, unless you want to go into the direct to dvd sequels.
Agrabah. They've already done direct to video with return of jafar in 2, so prince of thieves for 3.

Soriku

2.5 is in the May 29 issue of Famitsu.

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201405/27053893.html

RT10s2g.jpg

At this point I wouldn't be too certain >_>

TGS is only 3,5 months away and we still don't even know the release period for the game. hopefully within 2 weeks all the info is given.

E3 gets bigger info dumps than magazines do. I'm sure it'll be out within 2014 (but totally agree that it ought to be out in August's dry spell if not sooner and it should have been out already ffs).

But yeah, I wouldn't take the total absence of news so far to mean that we won't get a ton of news at E3.

Caladrius

I wonder if Kingdom Hearts III is going to make another appearance this year.

Was the D23 Demo from the actual game engine or was that more CG?

I wonder if Kingdom Hearts III is going to make another appearance this year.

Was the D23 Demo from the actual game engine or was that more CG?
I'd like to believe it's from very early test footage. I mean, no way they would have attack animation that horrible in target render.

Nohar

I just wish they will drop the combat system from KH1 and KH2, in favor of the one used in BBS (and in 3D, kinda). The Commands and Styles systems are just better. There is just no reason to use the old system, which is oudated and less fun.

just synthesized the ultima weapon in KH1

now to do donald and goofy's ultima weapons, 2 more playthroughs and the gummi missions and i'll have platinum

bring on 2.5 already!!!

Malyse

I just wish they will drop the combat system from KH1 and KH2, in favor of the one used in BBS (and in 3D, kinda). The Commands and Styles systems are just better. There is just no reason to use the old system, which is oudated and less fun.

Nomura said that they were going to keep the best parts of the handheld iterations, so expect some kind of command deck.

The BBS system is great as far as ability diversity is concerned, but there are some key advantages to the KH2 system in terms of juggle/hitstun/combo mechanics are concerned, and (more importantly) a stronger sense of progression, i.e. upgrading your Fire ability to Fira and Firaga and so on, whereas in BBS you can just combine several of those abilities and get Firaga very very early on with minimal grinding.

I'm sure that good ways can be worked out to synthesize the two, of course.

i just realised after all this time that when sora says

"This black thing swallowed me up, i couldn't breath...OW!" its actually kiari hitting him on the head and not just his head hurting?

Nohar

The BBS system is great as far as ability diversity is concerned, but there are some key advantages to the KH2 system in terms of juggle/hitstun/combo mechanics are concerned, and (more importantly) a stronger sense of progression, i.e. upgrading your Fire ability to Fira and Firaga and so on, whereas in BBS you can just combine several of those abilities and get Firaga very very early on with minimal grinding.

I'm sure that good ways can be worked out to synthesize the two, of course.

I agree with you. I hope they will find a middle ground and keep the best of each one.

I know people are tired of Agrabah, but...

Aladdin and the Prince of Thieves is fucking GREAT.

Yeah it is.
I've always preferred it to the original, although the original is a fantastic film as well.
It'd certainly be an interesting take on the Agrabah formula. Enough to keep it fresh for sure.

Famitsu scans are out. They're not the best quality though (hope we get some better ones later today).
I'm just hoping there's, like, any amount of new information in them. Pictures aren't really exciting because this stuff isn't new content, so if it's just new pictures there's basically nothing to see here.

Psxphile

I'm just hoping there's, like, any amount of new information in them. Pictures aren't really exciting because this stuff isn't new content, so if it's just new pictures there's basically nothing to see here.

Sadly, no pics of BbS characters in their armor to gauge whether or not they're taking the time to add back the capes. I expect if they do it'll be revealed in a proper trailer.

I do appreciate the (albeit tiny) comparison shots of widescreen Roxas fight.

Soriku

Dengeki also had a feature and there is a HQ scan out (as well as better Famitsu scans).

No new real info except this from the Recoded summary?

Many scenes are visualized in a new and meaningful way to construct the story!

There is a surprise that leads after this title.

So what is in the data world!? Do not miss this additional surprise!

A surprise?

Vashetti

Banned
What kind of upgrades are we expecting for BBS HD?

Obviously the character models are being touched up, but what about the environments?

Isn't it all PSP quality, how does it look blown up to higher resolutions?

Hope they put capes back in.

Psxphile

There is a surprise that leads after this title.

So what is in the data world!? Do not miss this additional surprise!
it's_happening.webm

Unlockable secret BBS Vol.2 cutscenes. That journal fucking records ANYTHING.

What kind of upgrades are we expecting for BBS HD?

Obviously the character models are being touched up, but what about the environments?

Isn't it all PSP quality, how does it look blown up to higher resolutions?

You tell me. I'd like to think Square-Enix would go back and touch up certain places that might have looked rough, but the game itself scales up very well. A credit to its art design.

EDIT: DreamDrop was banned?

Vashetti

Banned
Goddamn, KH's artstyle is so timeless. That looks awesome.

I wonder if they'll up the NPC count. All of the worlds were ghost-towns.

Released the same screenshots without HUD elements in PS Blog. Gives me a little hope that this indeed is attempted to be more of a joint marketing+release in Japan+West since they have released the trailers together too.

I love that our own Vashetti is calling them out in the blog for releasing low res screenshots for a HD collection :lol. I hate that about SE. It doesn't even make sense considering 1.5 for example looks very good and they released ridicilously small screenshots multiple times.

Vashetti

Banned
Released the same screenshots without HUD elements in PS Blog. Gives me a little hope that this indeed is attempted to be more of a joint marketing+release in Japan+West since they have released the trailers together too.

I love that our own Vashetti is calling them out in the blog for releasing low res screenshots for a HD collection :lol. I hate that about SE. It doesn't even make sense considering 1.5 for example looks very good and they released ridicilously small screenshots multiple times.

I'm touched :3

-Ryn

Banned
They won't increase the NPC count, KH has never had world filled with people, and I doubt it ever will.
It's weird that they don't really. I mean the Final Fantasy series has never had ghost towns as far as I know. It would be cool to have the worlds feel more alive in KH. It could be used in plenty of ways for the narrative.

Trying to think of ways to balance a traditional KH1/2 sense of progression with the flexibility of BBS:

I know that there are already Fire/Cure/etc Boost passive abilities you can learn. Sure.

But what about the idea of sort of making Fire/Fira/Firaga also kinda work as modifiers to your Command Deck abilities? So you'd have Thunder Dash, Fire Burst, and so on, all upgradeable (as you unlock certain upgrades through story progress) to Thundaga Dash or Firaga Burst.

Similar stuff could be implemented for other abilities (like, I guess you could theoretically work your way toward a fairly weak version of Mega Flare before you've got Firaga).

This would help preserve the sense that story progress is crucial for becoming more powerful (something BBS kinda loses if you know how to grind your way to the right abilities and get most or all of the passive/support abilities early on).

It'd still lose the ability to launch off 12 Firagas in a row or to have magic function in combos (as is the case in KH2), which is a problem I'm less sure how to solve (though your abilities blend quite seamlessly into combat in BBS in another way).

Christ, those Birth by Sleep HD shots. Funny how the HD version will actually look like the bullshots SE put out for the original PSP release.

Should be neat to get that Trinity Armor boss fight with a stable frame rate, too.

Christ, those Birth by Sleep HD shots. Funny how the HD version will actually look like the bullshots SE put out for the original PSP release.

Should be neat to get that Trinity Armor boss fight with a stable frame rate, too.

Because those bullshots are the same (filters and all) except now downsampled with high res textures.

Also:
08dnjtp.jpg

It's nice to dream

Psxphile

Not much of a dream without tacking on II.5 for a combined HD collection.

Can't wait to see what II.5's box art looks like. I wonder what iconic imagery from a popular American TV series will Nomura (be accused of) crib(bing) ideas from next? Breaking Bad? Walking Dead?

Top Bottom