• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

The reason Atlantica as a musical world made sense is because it was completely goddamn terrible as a playable world with bad swimming controls.

Frozen wouldn't have that problem.

TnK

I liked Atlantis when I played it back in the day =|

I found no issues with the controls. I think triangle was up and square was down, correct?

KH2 atlantis though? That stage should never appear in any KH ever again. Nor something like it.

zeemumu

The reason Atlantica as a musical world made sense is because it was completely goddamn terrible as a playable world with bad swimming controls.

Frozen wouldn't have that problem.

But Frozen has so much more potential than a musical world. Elsa is strong enough to be a party member and the layout would allow for some pretty decent level design. I'm not doubting it's ability to be a musical world, I just think that it could be more than that.

I'm still waiting on my B-tier Disney movie worlds, like a Haunted Mansion, Treasure Planet, and Atlantis: The Lost Empire world. Those movies could lend themselves to Kingdom Hearts so well.

But Frozen has so much more potential than a musical world. Elsa is strong enough to be a party member and the layout would allow for some pretty decent level design. I'm not doubting it's ability to be a musical world, I just think that it could be more than that.

I'm still waiting on my B-tier Disney movie worlds, like a Haunted Mansion, Treasure Planet, and Atlantis: The Lost Empire world. Those movies could lend themselves to Kingdom Hearts so well.
Would Musketeers be concidered C-tier? lol

That's what I was saying too!

TnK

Beat clayton. I have a feeling that I am beating most bosses with almost no strategy and simply mashing X, lol. KH2 really does have a superior combat system. Main issue with KH1 is that sora has a slow on foot combo, but his arial combo is much better.

Beat clayton. I have a feeling that I am beating most bosses with almost no strategy and simply mashing X, lol. KH2 really does have a superior combat system. Main issue with KH1 is that sora has a slow on foot combo, but his arial combo is much better.
There's much that's better about KH2's system, but I have a strong affection for KH1's emphasis on evasion.

Sora gets much much better on-foot approach for combo starters later in the game, FWIW.

Mecha

It feels like that against Clayton even during a level one run. I feel like a lot of my success is based on me getting lucky with hitting back projectiles I can't see.

Thing about Clayton is that there *is* a pretty specific strategy for that fight, and it's all about zeroing in on Clayton himself and just evading the Stealth Sneak's attacks. Clayton is actually more dangerous than the Stealth Sneak in that he does lower damage but his attacks are practically hitscan-speed and unreflectable (and much less visible), and he's also much much easier to neutralize (he stuns harder than practically any other enemy in the game, and he's also the required target to end the battle). Don't worry - mashing buttons in that fight is actually the correct strategy because that fight is all about picking the correct target.

I'd honestly say that Trickmaster is a tougher fight, not in the sense of basic damage taken/your capacity for damage output, but because there's not really a reliable strategy for that fight that I'm aware of.

TnK

There's much that's better about KH2's system, but I have a strong affection for KH1's emphasis on evasion.

Sora gets much much better on-foot approach for combo starters later in the game, FWIW.
Sora does not have good evasion options in KH1 compared to 2. Unless I am missing something. Also, I am finding KH1 proud mode to be easier than KH2 critical. Much easier actually. I really hope I get better combo startes later on. Also, one thing I loved about KH2FM and not present in KH1 FM (I think), is the ability to continue the combo even if it does not connect.
It feels like that against Clayton even during a level one run. I feel like a lot of my success is based on me getting lucky with hitting back projectiles I can't see.
Was a level 1 run hard?

Sora does not have good evasion options in KH1 compared to 2. Unless I am missing something. Also, I am finding KH1 proud mode to be easier than KH2 critical. Much easier actually. I really hope I get better combo startes later on. Also, one thing I loved about KH2FM and not present in KH1 FM (I think), is the ability to continue the combo even if it does not connect.

Was a level 1 run hard?
They did actually add the combo master ability specifically for 1.5 version of KHFM so you can continue combos even if you don't connect. You get it at lvl 55.

Psxphile

After a long delay, I finally started a KH1FM Proud run. Chose Shield, gave up the Sword. Left at Dawn.

Anyways, it's finally dawned on me (lel) why the game sometimes looks very strange during cutscenes: they effectively cropped out the jRPG standard "black bars" from the top and bottom of the screen during story scenes. But rather than remove them manually, they simply expanded the display outside the viewable area in real-time until you couldn't see them anymore... hence the in-your-face sized text. Or at least that's what appears to look like: there's definitely something going on with the display between normal gameplay and when the engine switches over to cutscene mode.

Maybe this has been discussed to death already elsewhere, but I've never seen anyone mention it here.

The more I play DDD the more I think... yeah, we can safely skip the HD remaster for this after all. I have before said that I like BBS less every time I play it due to the gameplay downgrades from kh2fm (I still LOVE the game tho. Top 3 PSP games to be sure). But the effect is like doubled on DDD. Playing on critical really shows that it is pretty much BBS but even more downgraded when it comes to gameplay.

Hockomonkey on paper looks like a great boss. Lots of space (not just a empthy hall either), transforming battlefield, boss has lot of moves... but on critical you see its 100% flash with all the good things about action games removed. You can block his attacks but it doesnt stun him, slow him down or do anything other than protect you. He is relentless with his attacks. You cannot even pull off a normal combo on him after blocking before he is attacking again. You die from like 3 hits and many commands are useless against him since they leave you totally vulnerable. Don't even fuckin touch the dodge button since if you activate flowmotion by accident (very likely since the camera is really bad in tight situations and you probably will dodge to a wall by accident) you are dead as shit. Don't fuckin go even near the grind rails or you are dead. All you do is stand in a corner, block an attack, use one of the very fast commands or hit like 1-2 times and block again.

Oh, and I can't even imagine the normal encounters later on. DDD has the worst camera in the series imo and like every single ebemy has a missile attack/long range charge or something and I remember it becoming worse later in the game. Don't even think about going melee when anything is offscreen.

Best thing to come out of DDD was the OST which is excellent. Has kind of unique style to it.

I think the game was definately made with standard difficulty in mind with mindless button mashing and flashiness while getting hit all the time. Not that there is anything wrong tho, I definately would enjoy playing this on standard more than critical. But I wish it catered to both difficulties. KH2FM is the best balanved by far followed by CoM and KH1. BBS is kind of a mess and DDD is a disaster. At least they were kind enough to lock it for first playthrough since I have to play every KH game on hardest difficulty always and I would have liked the game way less if this was the first time :lol.

I can't even imagine playing DDD on lvl 1 challenge. I imagine most of the tactics vs bosses are boring as shit.

Mecha

Was a level 1 run hard?

It's pretty hard at the start when you have little access to magic (depending on the boss/world), but after Halloween Town the difficulty lowers. Watching a level 1 speedrun to get a general idea of what to do is recommended. The run would be harder if you did the usual inrcrease attack and HP thing that some do while ignoring MP.

I think the fact that Birth by Sleep remains an enjoyable game even in spite of it being unbalanced is a testament to how well the game is designed, whereas 3D makes me wonder if the game was even ever playtested during development.

Sora's Traverse Town boss rush is probably the most horrifically designed boss encounter in the series (Yes, even including Mysterious Figure). You're restricted to the middle area of District 3 (Which is way smaller than it is in KH1), and forced to fight three bosses which take up at least 25-30% of the arena space alone, and on top of that, the camera is terrible, and the framerate likes to drop to the single digits frequently. It's a major pain in the ass on Proud and Standard modes, but it's straight up luck based on Critical Mode, even with a ton of grinding. I can't imagine how horrible it'd be on a level 1 run.

TnK

I think the fact that Birth by Sleep remains an enjoyable game even in spite of it being unbalanced is a testament to how well the game is designed, whereas 3D makes me wonder if the game was even ever playtested during development.

Sora's Traverse Town boss rush is probably the most horrifically designed boss encounter in the series (Yes, even including Mysterious Figure). You're restricted to the middle area of District 3 (Which is way smaller than it is in KH1), and forced to fight three bosses which take up at least 25-30% of the arena space alone, and on top of that, the camera is terrible, and the framerate likes to drop to the single digits frequently. It's a major pain in the ass on Proud and Standard modes, but it's straight up luck based on Critical Mode, even with a ton of grinding. I can't imagine how horrible it'd be on a level 1 run.
I don't remember that boss rush encounter. KH 3D was good, but not as good as the other games. One reason it being so bad was the horrible frame rate. I really liked the end game though. The boss rush at that end was the best in the entire series. DDD critical mode is some SERIOUS bullshit though. Also, the game lacked a cool secret boss.

The best part of DDD was The World That Never Was, I don't remember much of the game besides that. I do remember the worlds in the game being even emptier than the worlds in BBS.

Mecha

3D was a good game, but if they sat down and worked on the game some more it would have been way better. Just as long as they take their time on KH3 I'll be happy.

"Downgraded gameplay" for BBS and DDD? lol k

The almost total lack of hitstun makes some bosses a real drag on higher difficulties. Also those two games have the worst balancing when it comes to the main combat. You could argue KH2FM works as a ''traditional action game'' because it has certain rules that all the boss encounters follow.

On paper many of the things BBS added are really fun (especially combat melding) but the core gameplay in KH2 is much more solid and with much easier to grasp rules. In BBS/DDD it's a total diceroll when it is safe to attack an enemy with normal attacks without the fear of instant death.

Honestly in BBS the only real solid boss fights I remember are Terras final boss (one of the few where it really felt it had some sort of rythm that made sense other than spamming shotlocks while still being a challenge) and Vanitas tho in Critical mode in Aquas campaing he has a ridicilous amount of health/defence.

The Magic Mirror fight is pretty fun also but that is a little different.

People usually joke about KH2 being press triangle to win (fools, it's press X to win) but BBS really is ''use shotlock+mines'' to win basically anything. Also dodgeroll/cartwheel spamming make you basically invulnerable and require absolutely no timing.

BBS is a fun game but it really is a step towards flash over tight mechanics.

DDD is a fuckin mess tho.

I wish I had some 3DS record device just to make a compilation of the most bullshit moments of my current Critical run.

Psxphile

I just remember how useless the lock-on was in BBS against the uber bosses, and how shit camera control was on the PSP. Hopefully they take the time to fix this glaring flaw with II.5.

BBS's general approach to the RPG elements of the series (in terms of ability mechanics) is waaaaay better than KH2's, but yeah KH2's combat is better-tuned.

Add proper hitstun to BBS, rebalance Critical difficulty, and nerf Shotlock and it'd blow KH2 out of the water, though.

Mecha

BBS's general approach to the RPG elements of the series (in terms of ability mechanics) is waaaaay better than KH2's, but yeah KH2's combat is better-tuned.

Add proper hitstun to BBS, rebalance Critical difficulty, and nerf Shotlock and it'd blow KH2 out of the water, though.

They would also need to "tune" the boss fights to be more fun.

ok guys I'm on the 13th floor of Castle Oblivion in Re:CoM, but the doors need 99 cards. Is there a good place to farm for high level cards?

Falk

that puzzling face
Literally anywhere. Numbers are random as far as I can tell. I mean going by that logic, and that the average between 0 and 9 is 4.5, it should take you about 22 battles.

You just know when you get the door down to a single digit, a Joker card will drop.

zeemumu

Fighting Chernabog in 1.5 but I'm drastically underleveled because I rushed through this to get to CoM because I've only beaten through the GBA version

I wonder if they added Frollo eminating creepy dark smoke when he is talking about eradicating gypsies so that certain european audiences would know he is supposed to be the villain. ;)

The event directing/story flow in Hunchback world is baaaaaaad. Like, possibly worst in the series bad. Just much more in your face how bad it is considering the source material.

Finished Re:COM (1.5) and Days (DS). Didn't bother with anything related to completion on either, since I doubt I'll return to them again anytime soon anyway and was really just in it for the story. I'll probably save the HD theater mode for Days until right before 2.5 comes out.

Curious about a couple things from Days:

- What's the consensus about the
final battle with Xion? I remember reading that she attacked Roxas because she was reprogrammed by Xemnas, but watching the scene again I'm actually more convinced that she wanted Roxas to take her out so she could rejoin Sora.

- Is it just me, or did they completely drop the plotline about
Axel and Saix conspiring against the rest of the Organization
? I feel like the game might have been dropping hints that
Saix is really loyal to Xemnas
, but I couldn't tell for sure.

Finished Re:COM (1.5) and Days (DS). Didn't bother with anything related to completion on either, since I doubt I'll return to them again anytime soon anyway and was really just in it for the story. I'll probably save the HD theater mode for Days until right before 2.5 comes out.

Curious about a couple things from Days:

- What's the consensus about the
final battle with Xion? I remember reading that she attacked Roxas because she was reprogrammed by Xemnas, but watching the scene again I'm actually more convinced that she wanted Roxas to take her out so she could rejoin Sora.

-Yes she talked with Namine the day before Axel got her so I think she always wanted roxas to put an end to her existence. The only way that would happen is if she attacked him and left him with no choice.

-Saix's loyalty is shown in DDD, but it's also key in KH2 too
His eyes are yellow, telling that's he's been Xehanorted (horcruxed) long time ago.

-Saix's loyalty is shown in DDD, but it's also key in KH2 too
His eyes are yellow, telling that's he's been Xehanorted (horcruxed) long time ago.

Yeah, I was going off this info, too, but I was very frustrated by what seemed like a very interesting plotline getting (apparently) completely dropped in future games and was wondering if there was something more to it that I wasn't getting. Obviously he already
has the yellow eyes, but it would have been nice if they at least wrote in some kind of explanation for what's up with his conflicting loyalties, given that they gave his plans with Axel so much importance in Days

Yeah, I was going off this info, too, but I was very frustrated by what seemed like a very interesting plotline getting (apparently) completely dropped in future games and was wondering if there was something more to it that I wasn't getting. Obviously he already
has the yellow eyes, but it would have been nice if they at least wrote in some kind of explanation for what's up with his conflicting loyalties, given that they gave his plans with Axel so much importance in Days
You could say that by the time KH 2 happens,
Saix and Axel are no longer friends. I don't recall one cutscene between Axel and Saix as friends in KH 2, besides, Axel goes against the Organization in KH 2.

You could say that by the time KH 2 happens,
Saix and Axel are no longer friends. I don't recall one cutscene between Axel and Saix as friends in KH 2, besides, Axel goes against the Organization in KH 2.

See, I thought of that, too. If he felt that Axel wasn't really serious about it and decided to give up on the plan, that'd totally explain it. But the real problem for me is how (Days/DDD spoilers)
the conspiracy between Saix and Axel seems genuine, even though Saix already has Xehanort eyes which would imply he is completely loyal to Xemnas/has been consumed by Xehanort's heart. So, it's hard for me to read into whether Saix really was planning to go against Xemnas, whether he was always loyal to Xemnas and his plans with Axel were just a ruse... or if it's just a plotline that was dropped entirely and won't be pursued. That BBS reiterates that they're old friends doesn't help, either

Maybe I should actually watch the Days movie and see if it's picked up there first?

TnK

^Play BBS after KH2. Even though it is technically a prequel, you need info from the other games to fully get everything.
How do I get ultimate weapon in KH1FM?

It's likely to get wrapped up in KH3, I think.

TnK

Where is the best place to grind in KH1? Proud mode sephiroth is too hard, and also, I don't get second chance till level 94...

zeemumu

Can't wait to play Birth By Sleep. Never played it before. Do I play that before KH II or what? Isn't it like a prequel?

After. The portable games fill in the holes in between, before, and after the main games. BBS is before, CoM and 358/2 I'd after KH1, then KH2, then Coded, then DDD, then KH3. The pieces are all on the board.

Andrefpvs

I wonder if they're going to leave the BBS Vol.2 teaser intact in 2.5, since we all know it led to nothing.

Unless the new scenes in re:coded have something to do with it. Hmm.

TnK

Is Sephiroth in KH1 the hardest boss in KH games along with lingering will?

Mysterious doesn't really count because the fight is over in 5 minutes, and you can fight him at any level you were at when you are about to beat the game.

Top Bottom